• Published 15th Feb 2021
  • 359 Views, 61 Comments

Something Sparkling - Captain_Cosmos



In one universe, Sparkling Medley is shaking up Ponyville. But what is she doing in another universe? Shaking up Appleloosa that's what. Come on Pardners. She be coming 'round the mountain!

  • ...
4
 61
 359

Chapter 8

Autumn woke into the next day to a beam of yellow sunlight coating the room, and tight legs still holding a loving grip on her. Made it all the way through the night! She thought in reference to the cuddling position remaining intact.

Autumn scanned the sound waves of the room for any soft, peaceful breathing, to know if Sparkler was still asleep. If she was, Autumn wasn’t leaving for breakfast yet. She planned to stay in Sparkler’s hug until she woke up.

Sparkler’s eyes slowly fluttered open as the sunlight roused her awake. First thing on her mind was how her hooves were still wrapped around another pony.

At that, her eyes snapped open, but she didn’t dare move. Oh no. Please let mah wings be covered! She gently tried to stretch out the wing, slowly, that wasn’t pinned against the mattress, and found that something was keeping it pressed against her side. She momentarily relaxed, taking a deep breath.

Thank Faust! Mah onesie is on. Meaning I must still be at Autumn’s. She looked in front of her at the pony she was hugging, and sure enough, she recognized it as Autumn.

On her end, Autumn did not detect slow, peaceful breathing. What she instead heard was an episode of rapid, irregular breathing, almost panting, right behind her. “Something wrong, Sparkler?” She asked quietly.

Sparkler’s breath hitched in her throat. Crap! She’s awake! Sparkler had to think of something, now.

“...Yeah.” She said. “Just didn't remember where I was at first. Hehe. Morning.” She added.

“Morning!” Autumn greeted back. “Yeah, sometimes I take a little bit to register where I am in the morning. Especially if I’m somewhere I’ve never slept before.”

“How do you think I felt when I first slept in the inn? Hehe.” Sparkler replied as she continued to hold Autumn. “I had fun last night.”

“I did too!” Autumn beamed. “So much! And thank you for the cuddles!”

“No problem pard’ner.” Sparkler said. “Did I do a good job petting you too?” She asked.

“You did! In fact, the petting put me to sleep. It was that good.”

“Glad I could help.” Sparkler beamed.

“Looks like this is something we’re gonna be doing again.” Autumn said. “For now, though, what do we have for breakfast?”

Sparkler giggled as they hopped out of bed. “Well, what do you have available?” She asked.

“Loads of things!” Autumn said happily as they walked out into her kitchen and Autumn started flashing open her cabinets. Here came the next part of the trial sleepover.

“Hold that thought.” Sparkler said. “Flappy, time to wake up!” She called out.

Her calling stirred Flappy awake and he opened his eyes to see Autumn and Sparkler. “Squawk! Good morning gals! Squawk!” He greeted happily from his perch in the living room.

“Good morning to you too, Flappy!” Autumn waved. “I’m guessing you’re looking for watermelon as your breakfast?”

Flappy flapped his wings and launched into the air. “Squawk! Yep. I brought a few pieces just in case you didn’t have any. Squawk!”

“Great thinking!” Autumn complimented.

“Ya know, I should really get him to eat something else. Maybe apples.” Sparkler commented as Flappy flew over to his owner’s saddlebag to grab a watermelon piece.

“Heh, that reminds me of when I was a filly and I would eat only one food.” Autumn said. “That food being, ironically enough, apples.”

“Figures. Hehe.” Sparkler chuckled.

“Yep.” Autumn said. “Alright, let’s see what’s in store for our breakfast!”


Autumn ate a spoonful of her Celesti-Os, the cereal from yesterday making a reappearance. On the other side of the table, Sparkler had the same thing. Celesti-Os with a side of milk.

“Mmm. I love me some Celesti-Os.” Sparkler commented after she took another bite.

“I do too!” Autumn said. “They might be my favorite cereal.” She said, sipping on her cup of fresh apple juice.

“You said it.” Sparkler replied. After another bite, she spoke again. “Hey Autumn, can I ask you something?”

“Sure.” Autumn said. “What’s on your mind?”

“Well, I was just wondering; you like cuddles and being pet...anything else you like?” Sparkler asked.

“In terms of anything in general, or just things related to touching or affection?” Autumn asked.

“Physical affection.” Sparkler replied.

“Okay.” Autumn asked. “In that case, yes, there is one.” Unlike last night, Autumn decided to let this info go free after she became convinced, by virtue of more time passed, that Sparkler wouldn’t be weirded out. “I like being tickled.”

Flappy heard that and smiled. “Squawk! Another thing you and Sparkler have in common! She likes being tickled too! Squawk!” He said.

Autumn cracked a wide smile as she felt the hopeful excitement bubbling up. “Really? You do?”

“Yeah.” Sparkler said with a light blush. “I like being tickled a bit.”

“Hehe. Cute.” Autumn said. “And do you like tickling others?”

“Sometimes. Though the only creature I had to tickle was Flappy.” Sparkler replied.

“Oh? You’re ticklish too?” Autumn asked, looking over at Flappy.

“Squawk! Yeah. Hehe. I’m ticklish. Squawk!” Flappy said.

“Then…that’s something we could all do together then, isn’t it?” Autumn suggested.

“Yeah. It could be.” Sparkler said. I just won’t let YOU tickle me. She thought.

“Hehe. I say we test it out sometime soon.” Autumn said. “As part of this trial, to see how it would go.”

“Hehe. Have you ever been tickled by wings before? Because Flappy’s wings are good ticklers.” Sparkler said.

“Interestingly, no, I haven’t been tickled by wings yet.” Autumn said. “I am an enthusiast for being tickled, but that’s a technique I have yet to experience.

“I suppose it’s due to the population of pony types. There are hardly any pegasi living in Appleloosa.”

“That would make sense, given this is an Earth Pony town.” Sparkler reasoned.

“Yeah. It really is.” Autumn said.

“That being said, though, Ponyville was also started as an Earth pony town, and it’s since then gained a very diverse population, in terms of the three types. Appleloosa hasn’t had the same fate, and I wonder why.”

“Squawk! Maybe it’s due to being in the desert? Squawk!” Flappy asked.

“Hmm. Yeah, that could be it.” Autumn said.

“Well, when you do think we should do the tickling?”

“Anytime works for me.” Sparkler said.

“Good.” Autumn said. “Note that I’d also like to go shopping with you today.”

“Yeah I remember talking about shopping last night.” Sparkler said.

“I remember too!” Autumn said. “I like to go shopping in the late morning, between breakfast and lunch; how does that work for you?”

“Anytime anywhere cowgirl.” Sparkler replied.

Autumn giggled. “Great! After breakfast here, I’ll hop in the shower and we’ll be off!

“By the way, I know it’s Monday, but you don’t have to worry about my schedule. I took the day off.”

“Well that’s good to know!” Sparkler responded.

“Yeah! And do you have any work commitments soon? Like, for your studio?” Autumn asked.

“Nope. Clean day today.”

Great!” Autumn beamed. “Now let’s enjoy the day!” She said as she ate another spoonful of her cereal.

“Right!” Sparkler agreed.


Sparkler, Autumn, and Flappy took a stroll to Appleoosa's local food store, in a mission to refill Autumn’s diminishing kitchen cabinet stock. She only just barely had enough breakfast food to make that full meal.
So they were in the cereal section, looking for the scoop on each other’s choices.

“So, what other cereals do you like, Sparkler?” Autumn asked.

“Saddle Arabian Munch-Os, but I don’t reckon the store has ’em.” Sparkler replied.

“Er… probably not.” Autumn responded. “Saddle Arabia being so far from here, you’d only find local food from there if you went to a market specializing in food from other countries.”

“Yeah. That sounds about right.” Sparkler said.

“In that case, I reckon we can get a second box of Celesti-Os.” Autumn suggested as she dropped the shiny white cereal box into their cart. “We both really like them, after all.”

“I don’t have a problem with that. I like them too.” Sparkler said. “Ya know, I’m glad the store has a no pet policy.” She commented.

Because of that exact policy, Flappy was currently perching outside of the store on a white fence. Just taking in more sights of his adopted hometown.

“How come?” Autumn asked Sparkler.

“Cause he woulda been in the snack aisle eating all the snacks he can. His primary food is watermelon, but he’s a sucker for snacks and treats.” Sparkler replied with a chuckle. “And there woulda been nothing we could do to stop him.”

“Oh boy. Yeah, we got lucky here then.” Autumn commented.

“Y’all said it.” Sparkler said.

“Then we can move down on the list.” Autumn said. “What’s next?”

“Let’s see.” Sparkler said as she magically summoned the grocery list from her saddlebag.

Autumn walked up to Sparkler’s view area and looked at the first entry on the list below the recently-crossed-off “cereal.” It looked like bread was up next.

“Alright, on to the next aisle.” Autumn said, pointing out the labels hanging from the ceiling. “Got any preferences for your bread, Sparkler?”

“Nah, just that it’s bread. No specific preference.” Sparkler replied.

“Good!” Autumn said, picking out her usual, plain wheat bread. “I think you and I will do just fine with the food choices.”

“I’m a flexible gal. It’s Flappy that’s the watermelon addict.” Sparkler said with a chuckle.

Autumn chuckled back. “Well, I’m sure I can keep the watermelon supply up fine. I will try my best for Flappy.”

“So long as we get two whole watermelons every three or four months. Flappy’ll be happy.” Sparkler responded.

“Two watermelons for every three or four months? Yeah, that’s no problem at all for me.” Autumn said.

“Yeah. I just cut a melon into eight pieces, then cut each piece eight times. A single whole melon will last two months and 4 days.” Sparkler explained.

“Nice mathematical thinking!” Autumn complimented.

“Thanks pard’ner.” Sparkler replied.

The mares completed the trip, crossing off the last line on the list and checking everything out. They walked back outside carrying their full bags on their sides, as they considered this part of the trial a success.

“Nice grocery trip, huh?” Autumn said.

“Squawk! Maybe for you. I just had to sit on the fence for a while. Squawk!” Flappy said.

“Store policy Flappy. Nothing I can do.” Sparkler said. “So...Where to next?”

“I reckon we get Flappy a portable perch.” Autumn suggested. “So, pet store?”

“Sure. That good with you Flappy?” Sparkler asked.

“Squawk! Ooh. Maybe they have a diamond bejewelled perch! Squawk!” Flappy said.

“I am not getting you anything too expensive. Just something practical, and portable.” Sparkler said.

“Squawk! Can’t blame a bird for dreaming right? Squawk!” Flappy said.

“No, and dream on!” Autumn said. “I believe that someday you will get that diamond perch!”

“Maybe if mah career really takes off and I make it big.” Sparkler said.

“You have a good chance!” a passing-by stallion called out. “The pony you’re hanging out with is famous around here!”

Autumn blushed. “Well, it is true.”

Sparkler chuckled. “No offense Autumn, but unless we’re an official duet, I’d prefer to stand on mah own hooves.” She said.

“That’s alright. We’ll just see what happens.” Autumn said.

“Yes we will.” Sparkler said.

The trio arrived at the pet store. Hopefully Flappy would return home with a fresh, new portable perch.

Sparkler looked around as they entered the nice-looking building. It was a paradise of toys and food selections for pets of various species, like cats, dogs, and more.

She randomly spotted a display of parrot food on one of the shelves. “Hey Flappy. Maybe you can try normal parrot food for a change.” She joked.

“Squawk! Nope. Watermelon. Squawk!” He replied simply.

Autumn remained silent. She couldn’t think of anything to say here.

“You ever been here before Autumn?” Sparkler asked, changing the conversation.

“A few times, when I was tagging along with other friends that also have pets. But not by myself, as I don’t have a pet of my own.” Autumn replied.

“Ever thought about getting a pet?”

Autumn sighed. “Sometimes. Ponies always told me it could help with my loneliness. Which I do believe would have been the case, but when I imagined it, I never could see myself as a very good pet caretaker.”

“Squawk! Don’t know if you don’t try. Squawk!” Flappy responded.

Autumn sighed again. Flappy was right; getting a pet could have gotten her through the loneliness better. Hopefully it wouldn’t matter anymore as she and Sparkler were presumably going to be roommates, but Autumn had foregone a nice addition to her life there, with not getting a pet.

“I guess you’re right.” She said in response to Flappy. “That’s why I’d like to try helping Sparkler in taking care of you.”

“Aww! Mah two best buds gett’n along. I love this town!” Sparkler said.

“There you go! You’re liking it here! That tells me your move was successful.” Autumn said.

“Not quite successful just yet. Still in the inn rather than a permanent home.” Sparkler replied.

“Ah yes. But a permanent home might be on the horizon, and I think we know where it is.” Autumn said, winking.

“Squawk! I think we had a sleepover there last night if I recall. Squawk!” Flappy said knowingly.

“Yes indeed.” Autumn said. She could feel the glimmer inside her growing brighter. After the results of yesterday and this day going how it is, Sparkler and Flappy moving in with her only seemed more and more likely.

And here they were about to buy a new portable perch for Flappy, who was expected to become Autumn’s pet too, in a sense.

“What about this one?” Autumn suggested, pointing to a tan-colored portable perch with retractable wheels on the bottom and ability to fold it in for travel.

“Hm…” Sparkler gave the perch a look, picking the box up. “I think it looks good. Flappy?”

Flappy scanned the product for himself. “Squawk! I love it! Squawk!” He said excitedly.

“Well, I guess that’s our verdict then!” Autumn exclaimed.

Sparkler took the perch in her magic and checked the price tag. “Not too bad on the price either. Only a few bits.” She said. “Right. Y’all go wait outside I’ll go up to the counter and pay.”

“Okay. We’ll meet you out there.” Autumn said.

So Autumn and Flappy walked out of the store while Sparkler went up to the counter to check it out. After a few minutes, she joined them outside. “Right. Got yer new perch Flappy!” She said, flashing the white box.

“Squawk! Great! Thanks Sparky. Squawk!” Flappy said happily.

Sparkler blushed at the nickname. “Ahem...Flappy...not here.” She said.

Autumn giggled, having heard the nickname. “Well, should we go back to my house and test this perch out?”

“Squawk! Why wait? Squawk!” Flappy helped the ponies unbox and landed on the perch, which Sparkler thankfully had right side up, and gripped it with his claws. He smiled. “Squawk! Not too big, Not too small. It’s perfect! Squawk!”

“Awesome!” Autumn said, holding out a hoof for a high-hoof. Or high-wing, in Flappy’s case.

Flappy high-winged Autumn and launched off the perch so Sparkler could collapse it. “Now we got a travel perch for ya Flappy. This should be useful.” She said.

“Oh yes!” Autumn exclaimed.


The trio returned to Autumn’s house, albeit without any plans on whether they were staying there or not. They had to go there to drop off the groceries, of course, but were they going right back out?

“So… where shall this trial go next?” Autumn asked.

“Hmmm...Let’s see what we could do next…” Sparkler said, her mind racing.

Autumn looked at her oven’s clock for inspiration.

“It’s almost lunchtime. Might as well do that.”

“Sure! We can eat lunch.” Sparkler replied.

“Squawk! Let’s eat. Squawk!”

Autumn took a bite of her large red delicious apple, a staple of her lunches. Well, the color and breed varied, but she always had an apple as part of her mid-day meal. On the rest of her placemat was a hay sandwich and a glass of fresh apple cider from Sweet Apple Acres.

Sparkler, meanwhile, had a hay sandwich and a glass of cider as well.

“How do my homemade hay sandwiches taste?” Autumn asked Sparkler.

“Delicious!” Sparkler replied. “Much better than the pre packed sandwiches I’ve had.”

“Great! I never thought of myself as very good at cooking!” Autumn said, taking another bite of her sandwich.

“And yeah, I always take the homemade over the packaged when I can.” She continued.

“Well, you’re a good cook.” Sparkler said.

“Aww, thank you.” Autumn responded, hoof-bumping her friend.

“No prob.” Sparkler replied.

Autumn smiled. “This trial is going wonderful, don’t you think?”

“Squawk! I’d say definitely! Squawk!” Flappy commented.

“I agree.” Sparkler said. “This is fun!”

“This is fun.” A statement that Autumn never heard uttered this far into a trial sleepover run. If they even lasted this long at all!

Continuing from the pet store, Autumn seemed to be walking even closer to the long-awaited victory in finding a roommate. The shine of gold looked within reach.

“This is fun.” Autumn said. “And… it’s beautiful too. You’ve been such a great friend for me, Sparkler.” Autumn’s eyes started to water.

“It’s the least I could do. You’ve been an absolutely incredible friend to me, Autumn.” Sparkler replied.

“Squawk! You really have. Squawk!” Flappy chimed in.

Autumn didn’t feel like the trial had progressed far enough for her to ask Sparkler to be her roommate, but some kind of big moment needed to happen here. It was brewing.

“When we finish our meals here, can we hug again?” Autumn asked.

“Why wait? If’n ya want a hug let’s hug it out now?” Sparkler offered.

“Okay.” Autumn said, getting out of her chair.

Sparkler did the same and they met in the middle. Embracing each other, Sparkler going low and Autumn going ‘round her neck. Again for two very feathery secrets attached to Sparkler.

“Aww. You’re good at hugging, Sparkler.” Autumn said.

“Did it often enough.” Sparkler said simply.

“And it shows.” Autumn said.

“Flappy, would you like to join?” She continued.

“Squawk! I thought you’d never ask! Squawk!” Flappy jumped from the table and landed on both of them. Wrapping his wings around both of them best he could.

“You’re a great friend too, Flappy.” Autumn said.

“Squawk! So have you Autumn! Squawk!”

“Aww.” Autumn responded. She continued relishing in the beautiful moment.


After finishing lunch, the trio walked out to Autumn’s backyard for a horseshoes game. Autumn’s first time playing the game multiplayer since her championship-winning campaign in the Perfect Game tournament. And she was doing more than playing this time. She was teaching her new friend how to play her favorite game.

“So, what you’re really looking for is the trajectory of the throw.” Autumn said. “The way a horseshoe misses the ringer is if the release came too late, or the throw was too hard, et cetera.” Autumn explained as she tossed a few throws as examples.

“So it’s all about the trajectory and the power behind the throw.” Sparkler inquired.

“Yes.” Autumn nodded. “You also should pay attention to how far you’re standing from the stake. A challenge that ponies sometimes do is moving themselves further and further back to see how well they can keep it up.

“We didn’t do that during the Perfect Game tournament, but I have done that way before.”

“Have ya ever seen a unicorn play?” Sparkler asked.

“Hmm… I don’t think I’ve ever seen one play horseshoes.” Autumn said.

“Is it cheating if I use mah magic?” Sparkler asked, thinking of ways she could perform the throws.

“Uh…yeah, I think pretty much everypony here would think that’s cheating.” Autumn noted. “Unless it was a competition with all unicorns specifically designated for it.”

“Fair enough.” Sparkler said. She at the very least used her magic to put the horseshoe onto her hoof. She stood behind the stake and lined up her shot with the pole in the ground. With a deep breath, she tossed the horseshoe.

Everypony watched as the shoe flew in the air towards the pole. Would Sparkler make it? Would she not? For lasting a few seconds, a horseshoes play sure was suspenseful.

A few seconds after the throw, which may as well have happened in slow motion, the shoe hit the pole, on the inside. It spun in circles as it descended onto the ground. A ringer!

“Wa-hoo! Great throw, Sparkler!” Autumn exclaimed.

“Squawk! That’s a ringer right? Squawk!” Flappy asked.

“Yes it is!” Autumn answered. “Three points!” She wrote on the scoreboard.

“Awesome!” Sparkler exclaimed.

“Yeah!” Autumn said. “So, do you want to take all 10 of your throws and then switch players? That’s usually how we do it.”

“You don’t take turns after every throw?” Sparkler asked.

“Well, sometimes we do, but I guess the perfect game competition got me used to doing it the other way.” Autumn said.

“How about this time we just take turns throwing it and just have a good time? No need to worry about points right?” Sparkler suggested.

“Uh, well, I’ve already been updating this scoreboard I’m holding here.” Autumn noted.

“Oh...How did I not see that earlier?” Sparkler commented.

Autumn chuckled. “Well, even with the scorekeeping, we can still not be super competitive. And sure, we’ll take turns throwing.” Autumn stepped over to the stake.

With the bronze-silver-gold configuration not being active right now, Autumn was competing for one, two, or three points. She released her shoe and came out with a ringer, just like Sparkler. So they were tied up.

“Squawk! Another ringer! You’re good at this Autumn. Squawk!”

Autumn blushed a bit. “I don’t like bragging, but I did win a championship in this game.”

“Nothing wrong with a little bragging.” Sparkler said. “You should be proud of yer accomplishment.”

“It sure is a big one.” Autumn acknowledged.

“Squawk! And from what we heard, it was quite the accomplishment. 10 ringers in a row. Impressive. Squawk!” Flappy commented.

“And so many of us, including me, thought it wasn’t possible.” Autumn said.

“Well cowgirl, nothing is truly impossible. Take me for example. I was starting to think it was impossible that I’d ever find another friend other than Flappy. And wouldn’t you know it. I run right into you!” Sparkler said.

“Aww.” Autumn said, her heart touched. “Sometimes the world really does surprise us, in beautiful ways.”

“Squawk! I’ll say! Squawk!” Flappy said. “Squawk! Do you have any idea how glad I am to not be her only friend anymore? Sure, it was okay for a while, but she really needed to branch out. Still kinda sad though that it took moving to a new town. Squawk!”

“I take it her hometown isn’t so sold on friendship?” Autumn asked.

“Oh, not the town itself. Just the Tartarus-forsaken population that is the Kilihima student body that was going through school when I was a student. Really, the only ones I could even consider friends were the teachers and other faculty.” Sparkler explained.

Autumn raised a look of concern. “What was behind the inability to make friends with the other students? You called them ‘Tartarus-forsaken’; you’re saying they didn’t like you?” She asked.

“Squawk! That’s an understatement if I’ve ever heard one. Squawk!” Flappy said.

Understatement? In relation to ponies not liking you?” Autumn gasped as she looked at Sparkler while feeling a potential heartbreak coming. In terms of feeling bad for her friend.

“Ya know how there’s always that outcast in school? The one no pony wanted to be around?” Sparkler asked. Autumn nodded in reply. “Multiply that by a thousand and that was me. I was the least popular kid in the building. Hooves down.” Sparkler said.

Autumn felt her eyes watering. She could not believe her ears. Sparkler, somepony so friendly, so interesting, could be an outcast times a thousand? What did she do to deserve that? What kind of town was she living in?

“Did you do something to make them not like you?” Autumn asked.

Sparkler shook her head. “That’s just the thing. I didn’t do anything. I was just trying to be their friend.” She said.

“Squawk! And you’re better off not knowing what those featherbrains gave her for her trouble. It’ll just put you in a bad mood the rest of the day. Squawk!” Flappy commented.

“Oh… well, are you okay now?” Autumn asked. “Or, by any chance, do you still have scars that need healing?”

“The fact that you’re my friend period is already doing wonders for my scars.” Sparkler said. “It hurts that it took moving to a new town to finally make another friend. But now, I know there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Just as I held out hope for.”

And that was where Autumn saw light in this dark conversation.

“Wow.” She said. “That’s great to know I can do that for ponies.”

“Squawk! It truly is a breath of fresh air to live in a town where Sparkler’s yet to meet somepony who hates her guts. Squawk!” Flappy said.

“And I doubt that will happen.” Autumn said in confident reassurement. “Appleloosa may not be Ponyville, but we sure aren’t keen on hatred.”

“Good to know.” Sparkler said.

Good conversation, and the mares continued their horseshoes game. Autumn won, but that was completely expected, and they didn’t care much about the score anyway.

Returning to the inside of the house, Autumn took a look at her oven clock again and had a new activity handed to her on a silver platter.

“Oh! It’s time to drop off the CMCs at the train station!” Autumn said. “Well, I’m not the one dropping them off, I don’t need to go there, but I do want to say goodbye to them. Want to go there with me?” She asked Sparkler.

“Sure!” Sparkler replied. “I could see those cute little fillies again.”

“Squawk! Sounds great. I’m gonna go find my Appleloosa bird friends. I’ll be back later. Squawk!” Flappy said.

“Have fun, Flappy!” Autumn said.

“Don’t stay out too late.” Sparkler said.

Flappy nodded and flew out Autumn’s living room window.

“Alright, off we go to the train station!” Autumn said, opening the front door.

“Let’s go!” Sparkler responded.

And there they went.


“Say, Braeburn, ya think Autumn’s gonna meet us at the train station?” Applebloom asked Braeburn. It was time for the CMC to go home, so Braeburn, their current caretaker, was walking them to the train station.

“Maybe. I’m sure she wants to say goodbye to ya.” Braeburn replied.

“Hey Applebloom! And Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo!” A voice called out from the distance.

“Autumn?” Sweetie Belle squealed, perking her exciting hopes up.

“You’ve come to say bye?” Scootaloo asked, turning her body in the other direction.

“I have!” Autumn said, walking up to the group and petting Scootaloo on the head.

“And it ain’t just her either.” Came another familiar voice.

Braeburn looked up and noticed that yes, Autumn wasn’t alone, and saw who he presumed was the brand new pony in town that Autumn met. “Well, I’ll be. You must be that new pony I heard about.” He said with a smile.

Sparkler held her hoof out for Braeburn to shake. “The name’s Sparkling Medley. Sparkler fer short. You Braeburn?” She asked.

Braeburn smiled and shook Sparkler’s hoof. “Braeburn Apple. Autumn’s cousin. She’s told me a lot about you. Right nice to finally meet you.” He said.

“Nice to meetcha too!” Sparkler responded.

Autumn held a smile at the scene. Her friend was meeting a family member. She loves when that happens.

“Is this yer first time meet’n Sparkler, Braeburn?” Applebloom asked.

“Yeah. It is.” Braeburn replied.

“Awesome! Sparkler’s met three Apples now!” Applebloom exclaimed.

“I suppose I did.” Sparkler replied with a chuckle.

“You did.” Autumn said. “And it’s wonderful to see you meet my family.”

“Aww! So sweet!” Sweetie Belle said.

“Yeah.” Scootaloo said.

“And Autumn, how’s the trial sleepover with Sparkler been going so far?” Scootaloo continued.

“Oh, it’s going a-maz-ing!” Autumn replied. “At night, we watched a movie, then we cuddled the whole night; today we went to stores, played horseshoes, and while we were doing that, Sparkler opened up to me about something. It’s beautiful so far.”

Applebloom was confused. “Ok, A, you don’t have a projector, so how the hay did you watch a movie? And B, what did she open up about?” She asked.

“Well the thing is, In a sense, I’m the projector. It’s a spell that mah dad taught me.” Sparkler replied.

“Yeah.” Autumn said. “She took the book in her magic and converted the words into motion picture, to put it in simple terms.”

“Wow! That’s so useful!” Applebloom said.

“What about the other thing? What did she open up about?” Scootaloo asked.

“Just some stuff about mah past and how I may have been the outcast everypony made fun of…” Sparkler said casually. Making sure to stop right there so she didn’t say why.

“Oh… yeah, I remember you telling us about that at the campfire.” Scootaloo said.

“Yeah. I did.” Sparkler said, her ears drooping down.

“What’s this about being an outcast everypony made fun of?” Braeburn asked.

“Uh… well, I think Sparkler herself should explain it.” Autumn said. She felt that question coming. “Unless you want me to, Sparkler.”

“Please?” Sparkler asked. She didn’t feel up to having to explain it right now. Maybe it was because three new friends were leaving to go home.

“Okay.” Autumn said. “I’ll do it.”

“So, for a reason I can’t place a hoof on, nopony liked Sparkler in her hometown. That is, nopony besides her parents and pet bird, who we don’t have with us at the moment, for reference.

“Anyway, Sparkler was just that disliked. She never got invited to anything, and if she tried to show up, she’d be driven out.” Autumn said.

“The driving out thing happened during school events.” Sparkler interjected.

“Yeah.” Autumn said. “And because of all that, it took a move over here, to Appleloosa, for her to finally get a pony friend.

“And I’m super honored to be your first, Sparkler.” Autumn finished.

“Thank you fer bein mah first.” Sparkler replied.

Autumn smiled warmly and opened up her front legs for another hug.

Taking the hint, Sparkler rushed in and wrapped her forelegs around Autumn’s barrel while Autumn’s wrapped around her neck. Again, feathery secrets and all.

A triple “Aww” could be heard from all three CMC.

“So...Autumn, you and Sparkler gonna be roommates or what?” Applebloom asked.

Autumn’s eyes snapped open. The big question; here it was.

Autumn would have liked to answer “Hopefully, but we don’t have enough data yet.” But, the thing was, now that she thinks about it, Autumn felt that they did have enough data now. She felt the threshold was reached and now it was time to ask Sparkler to be her roommate.

So, how does she answer the question?

“Uh, I hope so, but… ah, how do I explain this…” She said out loud.

“Let’s just say we’ll… uh, decide soon.”

“Oh, okay.” Sweetie Belle said. “I hope you do become roommates!”

Autumn was conflicted on whether or not to say she hoped so too. That was true, but was she to say it out in public? Er… maybe not.

“We shall see.” Autumn chose to respond with.

This moment is so awkward…

But it looked like it wouldn’t last for much longer, as a whistle could be heard getting louder and louder.

“Train’s here.” Scootaloo said.

“Bye, Autumn!” Sweetie said, giving a wave. “It was great to spend time with you!”

“You too!” Autumn responded, tipping her Stetson.

“And it was nice to meet ya, Sparkler!” Applebloom added.

“Oh yeah! You’re awesome, Sparkler!” Scootaloo said. “Those school bullies were as wrong as can be!”

Sparkler cracked a smile as she tipped her stetson towards the fillies. “Right nice to meetcha too Cutie Mark Crusaders.”

The Crusaders gave one last smile and wave as they boarded the train. “See you again someday!” They said.

Sparkler, Braeburn, and Autumn watched as the train started moving and sped up away from Appleloosa.

“Oh, I almost forgot. Did they behave well?” Autumn asked Braeburn.

“Yep.” Braeburn said. “Didn’t get into any trouble those fillies.”

“That’s good!” Sparkler said.

“I bet Fluttershy would love to hear that.” Autumn said.

“What do we do now, Sparkler?” Autumn asked Sparkler.

“Well, I should get back to my farm. Y’all have a good night you two. Hope the roommate thing works out.” Braeburn said, tipping his stetson to them and leaving.

Sparkler turned to Autumn. “Hmmm...Maybe go back to yer place and play some guitar?” She asked.

“Oh, yes! That sounds like a great idea!” Autumn said as she hopped forward one step.

“Then let’s make some noise!” Sparkler exclaimed.


The duo returned to Autumn’s house, where the next activity on the list was dual guitar playing. Autumn grabbed her natural-finish steel-string, while Sparkler spawned in her blue steel string acoustic guitar from...presumably either her inn room or studio, with her magic.

Autumn sat down on a stool in her living room, facing towards Sparkler. “So, what should we play?” She asked.

“How bout you start playing some random notes and I’ll join in. See if we can harmonize ya know?” Sparkler responded.

“Okay! That sounds fun!” Autumn said.

“Then let’s do it! A one, A two, A one two three four!” Sparkler counted.

Autumn plucked one note, then a few more. She was guessing that Sparkler wanted to get a feel for her playing before jumping in.

They both plucked one note, then more; the sound came out messy at first, but as they kept playing, things started to come together. In particular when they both did a few strums of big chords. They came in perfect sync.

They kept playing, and improving, as Sparkler felt that tingle in her body. That familiar tingle that she felt whenever she was in perfect harmony with the music. She knew exactly what was about to happen. And while it was risky due to her secret, she didn’t care. Whenever she was playing music like this, nothing else mattered to her. In this moment, she was truly free.

Autumn felt a big sense of power. The music sounded great and beautiful, and she was in clean-cut harmony with her amazing friend. Autumn’s natural instinct in this kind of zone was to start singing, which she did. No lyrics yet, but she had to let it loose.

Sparkler heard Autumn singing to the tune they were creating. It was beautiful. Darn she has such a beautiful voice. And that was when she saw the room light up bright.

She knew the source of the sudden light increase. Her Cutie Mark was glowing. Like it always did during moments like this. Usually this glow came about when she was completely in sync with the music. And the fact it was happening now gave her tremendous joy.

While she couldn’t say for sure, it felt like it was a sign. I feel like even mah Cutie Mark is tellin’ me to be her roommate. She gave off an amused smile at the thought.

Autumn noticed something… off in the room. The entire place was suddenly becoming brighter, even though she had definitely not turned on any more lights, and the sun wasn’t setting lower to peek through the windows more or anything. What the heck was going on?

She looked in the light’s direction, to the center of the glow happening to be at Sparkler’s flank. In addition, she could see an outline; an outline of a music staff under a microphone.

Autumn’s focus took her hooves off of playing guitar. Wait a minute! Isn’t that what her cutie mark looks like? ...Yeah, she showed an image to us at the campfire. And… her mark is glowing? What could it be glowing for?

“Uh… got any idea what’s going on here, Sparkler?” Autumn blurted out with little thinking.

Sparkler blinked; she hadn’t realized Autumn stopped playing. She stopped playing as well and smiled, knowing full well what Autumn was talking about. “Oh, it’s just mah Cutie Mark glowing. No big deal.” She said.

“Why does it do that?” Autumn asked.

“It does that whenever I’m in perfect sync with the music. I get this feeling of complete and total freedom, and mah Cutie Mark glows as a result. Like, when perfect harmony is achieved. Kinda like what we just did. Harmonize perfectly.” Sparkler explained.

“Ooh, cool!” Autumn said. “That’s awesome! Well in that case, let’s keep playing!”

“Let’s!” Sparkler replied.

Autumn banged out a few chords, to which Sparkler joined in with complimentary vocal notes to harmonize with Autumn.

“Got any lyrics?” Autumn shouted over the music.

“Nope. Let’s just play.” Sparkler replied.

“Alright!” Autumn said. They continued to sound absolutely amazing together, and that… that struck Autumn.

If… we’re already playing music together well enough that her Cutie Mark is glowing, and the rest of the day has gone as well as it has… and I can’t think of more trial to be run tomorrow… what have I got to lose?

Well, I do have nervousness, and there might still be some trial to be run…

Eh, let’s just keep playing for now.

Sparkler, meanwhile, was starting to worry about her wings. If we end up rooming together, it’s gonna be hard to hide mah wings from her.

Girl, you two are playing so good that yer Cutie Mark is glowing! There’s literally no greater sign that you two should be roommates if she asks!

But mah wings…

So long as she doesn’t barge into the bathroom and wrap her forelegs around yer barrel you’ll be fine until you fess up!

Back on the other side, Autumn’s thoughts were sinking even deeper.

I still feel like there’s trial to be run… how can roommate compatibility be determined this fast? Like, how about we try spending the night apart to see if it feels weird or if we miss each other?

Oof, that sounds really harsh on ourselves, though…

I just really don’t want there to be an undiscovered problem between us lurking beneath that could mess up our bond and lead to a verdict that we were too hasty…

Gah, I really wish I didn’t have to think about this.

Maybe I should bring up these concerns to Sparkler.

The two mares strummed out the last chord in unison, and Autumn’s musical excitement for that was clouded by the shivering-inducing words she was about to bring up.

“Great playing, Sparkler!” Autumn started with, offering a high-hoof.

“I’d reckon so!” Sparkler high-hoofed Autumn. “We sound great together. If I could toot the horn a little.”

“We did sound great together!” Autumn said as she smiled.

Can’t delay the inevitable, Autumn told herself as her look changed and she sighed.

“Sparkler, I need to ask you about something bothering me.” She said, shivering.

“What’s up sugarcube?” Sparkler asked, putting down her guitar.

Autumn pushed the words out. “It’s about the prospect of us becoming roommates.”

“Something wrong?” Sparkler asked. She started worrying.

“Remember how I talked about in an earlier day how I didn’t think we could be considered friends yet because things were rolling too fast? Well, that concern has moved over here.

“Like, I just can’t help but feel there’s an undiscovered rift between us lurking beneath that will end our time rooming together by one of us wanting out, citing irreconcilable differences.” Autumn puffed out.

Well I certainly won’t want out, but I fear you might kick me out. Ran through Sparkler’s mind. She felt her wigs were the only thing that could possibly cause a rift between them, but she still didn’t feel ready to reveal them yet.

“Well, based on what’s happened so far, I don’t see any reason I’d want to opt out.” Sparkler said.

“And that should make me feel good.” Autumn said. “But then there come the worries about something happening in the future that will break us apart.” Her ears began drooping.

“Well, we can cross that bridge when we get to it. We can tackle anything that comes our way I feel.” Sparkler responded.

Autumn tried her best to hear out Sparkler’s words. The part about crossing the bridge when they get to it; well, yeah… maybe it wasn’t so great to worry about the future like that.

And the part about tackling anything that comes their way; well, sure. Difficulties were bound to happen in any relationship, whether romantic, platonic, etc. But Sparkler clearly felt confident in solving them.

That only made her seem like an even better roommate.

It’s not like everything needs to be perfect in a pair of roommates. I mean, it couldn’t be anyway. And if a rift does emerge, well, that’s not a death sentence to our roommate status. We can figure something out.

And remember that everything has been going great so far. You felt the trial getting so close to crossing the finish line.

You could ask Sparkler about her schedule more, if you’re concerned about that.

She also just said, she feels confident in tackling any potential problems when rooming together. She wouldn’t just leave you.

As Autumn rewinded on the day and all that was so sweet about it; the breakfast, the grocery store, the pet store, the hugging, the opening up from Sparkler… her mood began to turn back to where it was for a bulk of that time.

But hold on a bit.

“Sparkler, I’ve got a few more questions, relating to us rooming together.” She said, starting to perk up.

“Alright. Shoot.” Sparkler replied.

“At what time do you usually head over to your studio?” Autumn asked.

“Depends on how far it is. But it’s nothing a little teleportation can’t fix if needed.” Sparkler replied.

“Okay, good.” Autumn said. “I tend to leave for work in the morning. When I’m not touring, I’m headed to another band’s studio as a session musician. And I return home around dinnertime. Does that work for you?”

“Sure. I can even handle making it so it’s ready when you get home.” Sparkler replied.

“Aww, thanks!” Autumn said. “That’s so generous.”

“Think nothing of it. Just common sense. If one of us is available to make dinner we should make it.” Sparkler reasoned.

She’s so sweet. Autumn thought.

“Cool. Now, about chores. That’s something very easy to argue over. How should we go about it?” Autumn asked.

“See what needs to be done and split it evenly? And every week, we change it up?” Sparkler suggested. She found all these questions a little strange since they hadn’t even agreed to be roommates yet, but whatever.

“Split it evenly, change it up… okay! I can work with that!” Autumn responded.

“Now, another concern that I have would be the size of this house and its one-bedroom status. Where would one of us go if we want alone time?”

“Could you be a tad more specific?” Sparkler asked.

Man, Autumn did not like talking about this. She was hoping Sparkler would understand what she meant right off the bat. Alas, that did not happen.

“Well, on the off-chance we get into an argument… where to split off for a while? I hope that never happens, but I’m under this ‘just in case’ mindset. A lot.” She explained.

“First come first serve for the bedroom?” Sparkler asked. She really didn’t know how to answer that.

“...Sure.” Autumn said. “That could work.

“I’m sorry. I just want to really make sure this will work out.”

“So long as we talk it out, we’ll be fine.” Sparkler said.

Autumn did love Sparkler’s outlook here. It signaled to her that she did truly want to be roommates. She sounded determined, and why would she sound determined if she had any concerns about it?

Plus, even after Autumn asking all these questions, Sparkler still had a very sunny outlook on the prospect.

Really, that should push this trial to nowhere but the finish line.

Feeling great and fulfilled when around Sparkler; check. Compatibility; check. Definitely. Plans on what to do in case of anything bad happening? ...check.

Happiness when imagining her as your roommate; easily check. Remember that dream?

‘Remember that dream.’ Looked like that was the quote to get Autumn over the edge.

This was it. She was about to perform the big moment. The question that a yes answer to would land her a long-awaited fill of a big, gaping hole.

“Sparkler, will you…will you be my roommate?” She finally asked.

To be continued...

Author's Note:

Will Sparkler say yes? Will she say no?

STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT!

THX FOR READING!