• Published 15th Feb 2021
  • 359 Views, 61 Comments

Something Sparkling - Captain_Cosmos



In one universe, Sparkling Medley is shaking up Ponyville. But what is she doing in another universe? Shaking up Appleloosa that's what. Come on Pardners. She be coming 'round the mountain!

  • ...
4
 61
 359

Chapter 7

Sparkler paced, and paced, back and forth in front of Flappy, as he perched on a rock, doing nothing but watching his owner panic.

“What do I do? What do I do? What do I do?!” Sparkler repeated to herself many times over. How in Equestria could she have been so careless?! She had agreed to a sleepover and the potential of being Autumn’s roommate, without first considering what that would mean for her secret!

I’m not ready to reveal mah wings! ...but I do like the idea of us bein’ roommates...and Luna mentioned that Autumn wouldn’t be upset...gah! This is so confusin’!

Flappy continued to witness the distress, Sparkler still pacing like no tomorrow. She’s probably running circles in her mind. Poor thing.

After a moment, he decided that what Sparkler needed was for them to talk out loud, together. “Squawk! Sparkler, We should talk about this. Squawk!” He said.

Sparkler, much to Flappy’s relief, stopped her pacing and turned left to face her bird friend, albeit continuing the worries, out loud this time at that.

“What have I done, Flappy? I just put mah secret in danger!” She exclaimed.

“Squawk! Yep. Ya sure did pardner. Squawk!” Flappy said. “Squawk! But... ya know! This might be a good thing. Squawk!”

“H-h-how is this a good thing?” Sparkler asked.

“Squawk! Because if this all works out, and you and I move in with Autumn, that’s gonna make it even more difficult to hide that you are really an Alicorn…wow, that feels weird to say after all these years. Squawk!” Flappy added.

Sparkler had to agree. They had gotten so used to calling it the Horn and Wing Combo that while Alicorn was a universally better term, it still felt weird after all this time.

“Yeah. It does. And yes, us moving in does make it harder for me to hide mah wings from Autumn. I fail to see how that’s a good thing!” She replied in panic.

“Squawk! It’s a good thing because it might just force you to come out, so as to avoid Autumn learning the truth for herself. Don’t you think Autumn would appreciate you just telling her, instead of her having to resort to something like, say… force you to take off yer poncho? Squawk!” Flappy asked.

“I-It’s just...There’s no goin’ back after I show her my wings. What if this backfires...what if we fight about this? What if…I lose her as a friend?” Sparkler listed off the worrying possibilities as her eyes began to water.

Upon seeing the tears, Flappy leapt from the rock to help his friend. He proceeded to wrap his soft wings around Sparkler’s front leg in a comforting hug.

“Squawk! Based on what you told me Luna said, I don’t think we need to worry about that. Besides, at the very least, Autumn will be less likely to be mad atcha for hiding yer wings if ya just come clean. Squawk!” He said.

Sparkler sniffled and rubbed her eye dry. “Ya think so?” She asked.

“Squawk! I of course can't speak for her, but I have a feeling she’s not like those idiots in Saddle Arabia. I have a gut feeling she’ll accept you. Squawk!” Flappy said encouragingly.

“Not like those idiots in Saddle Arabia. Gut feeling she’ll accept you.” Those phrases struck a chord in Sparkler. They served to finally help Sparkler see light behind the clouds.

As a result, Sparkler smiled as she wrapped her other foreleg around Flappy’s back. “Thanks Flaps. Ya always know just what to say.” She said.

“Squawk! Anytime pal. Squawk!” Flappy said as they ended the hug and Flappy launched himself into the air. “Squawk! If ya want to, you can always wear that onesie you got. That should hide the wings real good. Squawk!” He said.

“Sure.” Sparkler said in agreement. “Now come on. Let’s catch up to Autumn.”


Man, I really hope Braeburn is okay with, and capable of, watching all three of the CMCs. I do really want to do this sleepover tonight.

Like, I’m already finding myself looking forward to it and imagining it as happening today, even though it’s not fully set yet.

Autumn was going backwards on the path she reached the hill from, to stop by at Braeburn’s house and ask if he’d be okay watching the fillies for the night, so Autumn and Sparkler could go ahead and run their trial sleepover.

If he agrees, lucky that the girls are already at his house, because then we can just go straight to, the… sleepover setting.

Oh, shoot.

Gah. We didn’t even talk about where we’d be doing it!

I mean, I usually do it at my house, but Sparkler never agreed to that, as I never mentioned it…

Autumn’s got quite the heap of answers to find here. But she will take them one-by-one. Starting with determining Braeburn’s ability.

She arrived at Braeburn’s country home and knocked on the wooden door, to the pleasant surprise of the ponies inside.

“Oh! Well if it isn’t my cousin again!” Braeburn said.

“Hi Autumn!” Sweetie Belle beamed, pausing an activity. “What brings you over here?”

“Well… it’s unfortunately not something that’s super fun for me to do.” Autumn admitted as the door closed behind her.

The other ponies read signals from Autumn’s melancholy, worried face and slowing, lowering tone of voice.

“Something going on with you again?” Braeburn said. “Shoot, I hope the meeting with Sparkler didn’t go bad! Did you already have it?” He asked as his voice gained volume in desperate concern. How awful that would be!

Well, over on the other side, it looked like Autumn now had a pre-made path to what she was about to say.

“Yes, I did already have it, and it went extremely well.” Autumn said. “She agreed to run a trial sleepover, and the plans for it led to the reason I came here.

“I’m here to ask if you, Braeburn, would be okay watching these girls for the night, so Sparkler and I don’t have to wait until tomorrow, when they leave.” Autumn avoided revealing the details of her and Sparkler’s friendship feelings towards each other for now.

Braeburn looked at the fillies and the mare in making the decision. “Well, they haven’t been too big of a handful during the day, so I don’t imagine they’d change much at night. And I do know Applebloom well; it’s not entirely like I’m watching over strangers.”

“Yeah!” Scootaloo said. “Remember when we first stayed at Fluttershy’s cottage, back in Season 1? I promise we won’t do things like that again. We’ve changed so much.”

“What did you gals do at Fluttershy’s cottage?” Braeburn asked.

The CMCs’ cheeks turned red. They had to confess to bad deeds.

“Uh, we sorta, ran off into the Everfree Forest.” Scootaloo admitted.

“That was the worst part, but even inside of the cottage, we also were badly behaved in general.” Applebloom added. “We kept messin’ with Fluttershy’s things, not listenin’ to her… yeah. Sorry, Fluttershy.”

“Ah-huh. Ya sure you’re better now?” Braeburn asked. “Because the animals here don’t really appreciate being messed with.”

Applebloom felt a sad moment starting to brew. She was worried that this confession would cause Braeburn to lose trust in them, and in turn disappoint Autumn for not being able to have her sleepover tonight.

She didn’t have to say anything, though. Her friends were there to help.

“Yes, I can say we are better now.” Scootaloo said. “We now don’t like what we did to Fluttershy and have apologized to her.”

Braeburn sighed. “Well then…I will allow you gals to stay over tonight. But please be good.”

“We promise, Braeburn.” Applebloom said, giving him a high-hoof.

“Well then.” Braeburn turned to Autumn. “I’ll take these fillies. Y’all have fun with that new gal, ya hear?”

Autumn just went along with it this time, as she struggled to contain the brewing, bubbling elation. “I will! Thanks so much for watching them!”

“No problem Cos.” Braeburn replied, tipping his hat to her. “Now go on. Sparkler’s waitin.”

Autumn headed his words and opened the front door. “Bye cousin!” She said.

Braeburn nodded as Autumn left.


A puff of blue smoke erupted in the inn room and covered the whole place in a cloud. As it cleared, it revealed that Flappy and Sparkler had teleported into the room.

As soon as it all settled, Sparkler first-and-foremost walked to the inn room dresser and opened the middle drawer. Folded inside was a soft pajama blue onesie that she had bought as an “in case of emergencies” tool, like...right now!

“Is this thing gonna make me look childish? Yes. Do I care in the slightest? No.” She summoned her two blue saddlebags and promptly stuffed her onesie into one of them.

“Hey Flappy, get the toothbrushes, toothpaste, and some watermelon pieces for yerself. Just in case Autumn doesn’t have any.” She said.

“Squawk! Roger that! Squawk!” Flappy said. “Squawk! And in turn, you should pack some lemonade. Squawk!”

“Hehe. Always with the lemonade.” Sparkler replied.

“Squawk! Hey. Yer fault for making it so good! Squawk!” Flappy retorted.

“Mom and Dad helped!” Sparkler shot back as she opened the room’s mini-fridge.

“Squawk! It was yer idea though. There. Squawk!” He fired back as the last item on the list was placed into the bag. Fast work by him.

“Oh, just get the stuff. I’ll get the lemonade. Hehe.” Sparkler chuckled as she summoned a few of her plastic lemonade bottles from the fridge.

I am not gonna let mah wings ruin this night for me. All I need to do is make it to the bathroom before Autumn can see under mah poncho, and I’m set.


Autumn, during her walk outside highlighted by hard attempts to not jump around and scream in excitement for the sleepover, had been briefly visited and told by Flappy that Sparkler would be teleporting back to her Inn for a bit. “Got it.” Autumn had said.

But what she still didn’t know was where in town to find Sparkler. Would Autumn have to go to the Inn room that she had no clue about the location of?

Turned out, that was a no! Autumn saw Sparkler, with Flappy perching on her back, rush out the inn’s entrance, which she just so happened to be in front of, and out onto the street.

“Oh! Now I know what Inn you were staying at!” Autumn said. “Anyway, hi Sparkler!”

Sparkler stopped as she and Flappy turned their heads to that familiar voice, seeing Autumn trotting up to them.

“Oh. Howdy there Autumn!” Sparkler exclaimed.

“Hi!” Autumn said, offering Sparkler a hug. “I’m so, so excited for tonight!”

“Me too! It’s gonna be a blast!” Sparkler exclaimed, followed by her squealing like a filly right in public. “Eeee! Mah first Sleepover ever!”

Autumn giggled at the squealing. “I’m going to do the best I can to make your first sleepover the best it can be!” She said.

“Squawk! Oh you better. She’s been looking forward to this since you suggested it. Squawk!” Flappy commented.

“That’s great to hear.” Autumn said.

“I’m so so excited! What should we do first? Play games? Read a book? Ooh, the possibilities are endless!” Sparkler pranced in place.

“They really are endless!” Autumn said, finding herself jittering as well. “And I don’t know what to do! I guess we’ll find out when we get there.”

“Squawk! I assume we’re having the sleepover at yer house? Squawk!” Flappy asked.

“That’s what I was thinking.” Autumn said. “But I wanted to know if Sparkler was okay with it.”

“Sure.” Sparkler said. “That works for me!”

“Okay! Great!” Autumn said excitedly. “Let’s head on over there!”

“Lead the way cowgirl! Yeehaw!” Sparkler exclaimed.

Autumn giggled. She and Sparkler had such a great bond.

Sparkler, with Flappy following her through the air, let Autumn lead the way to her residence. The site of Sparkler’s first ever sleepover.


Here came the moment. Autumn turned her golden key through the lock, opening up her crib that she was inviting a new friend into for the first time. “And here it is.” Autumn said as they stepped on in.

Sparkler and Flappy entered through the door, taking their first ever look inside Autumn’s residence. “Wow. Some place you got here.” Sparkler commented.

“Thanks.” Autumn replied. Sparkler and Flappy took in the sight of the medium-brown living room walls, with a lighter brown on the floor. Autumn’s furniture made for a very Apple-like look, with red, orange, and yellow lining the area. Her kitchen also had a light-brown counter.

On the opposite end of the front door was a hallway leading to a closed door, no telling what was behind it, whereas to the left was an open door that Autumn’s bed was visible through, then the living room was at the bottom right corner and the kitchen at the top right. Pretty small and cozy place.

“Squawk! Nice and cozy. Definitely better than the Inn. Squawk!” Flappy commented.

“The Inn room is small, huh?” Autumn said.

“One main room for the bedroom and kitchen, and one bathroom. That’s it.” Sparkler responded.

“Oh. Well, in that case, yeah, my house is bigger.” Autumn said. “It’s small, but I like that about it, because it feels more cozy.”

“It certainly looks that way.” Sparkler said.

“It really is.” Autumn said.

Autumn realized at this moment that she and Sparkler hadn’t made a plan for how to operate the sleepover. Time to break the ice.

“So… what do we do now?” she asked her friend.

Sparkler shrugged. “Beats me. Yer the sleepover expert.”

“Squawk! So we’ll follow your lead. Squawk!” Flappy added.

“Okay.” Autumn responded. “Hmm, let’s see…

“How about we start by asking each other questions about our living habits, particularly for the time at hoof? Like, at what time do you go to bed, Sparkler?” Autumn asked.

“Now that can vary depending on what I’m up to. It can go from say...9:00 to not sleeping at all.” Sparkler replied.

“I see.” Autumn responded. “Well, we might be in luck, because it tends to vary for me too. It’s also dependent on my activities, like, a busier, more active day tends to lead to an earlier bedtime.”

“Squawk! Well, I go to bed by midnight at the latest. No matter what Sparkler’s doing. Squawk!”

“Okay.” Autumn said. “I don’t think noise will be a problem, but if needed, you can perch pretty much anywhere, right?”

“Squawk! All I need is a stable grip of my claws. Squawk!” Flappy said with a nod.

“Good!” Autumn said. “Sparkler, do you carry a portable perch around?”

“Nope.” Sparkler replied. “I don’t have a portable perch...Might want to consider gettin’ one, now that I think about it.

“That could be something we do as part of this trial. Go shopping together. Or, rephrase; it should be part of the trial.” Autumn said.

“Hehe. You think any of the shops are still open at this hour?” Sparkler asked.

“Some are, but I’m getting tired, so I’m thinking we do that tomorrow.” Autumn replied.

“Yeah...wait, hang on. Tired? But we just started. Ain’t it a thing to stay up all night at these things?” Sparkler asked.

“It is.” Autumn agreed. “I can stick it out for a while, but I’d prefer to stay home for the rest of the night if that’s okay with you.”

“Sure. I don’t mind staying in tonight.” Sparkler responded.

“Good!” Autumn said.

Autumn had to try and think of a way to combine a sleepover with trying out being roommates with somepony. A task that she attempted to little avail. She just kept going with the generic questions.

“What’s your favorite thing to do at night?” Autumn asked Sparkler.

“Sometimes I play mah guitar, sometimes I read books, sometimes I just like to play games with Flappy.”

“Okay. I don’t read books much, but a reading session, whether reading together or separately, is a very roommate thing. As well as playing games; definitely! Have you ever played horseshoes before?”

“Nope. Never in mah life.” Sparkler replied.

“Squawk! Is it a fun game? Squawk!” Flappy asked.

“It is. I mean, look at the fact that I took it seriously enough to win a championship.” Autumn said. “And how that whole competition even happened in the first place.”

“Horseshoes is one of the most iconic Appleloosa things.”

“Sounds like you’ll have to show us this game.” Sparkler said. Genuinely interested in learning the game.

“Okay. You want to do that now?” Autumn asked.

“Squawk! Ain’t Horseshoes an outdoor sport? Squawk!” Flappy asked.

“Yeah, pretty much.” Autumn admitted. “Well, I don’t know what else there is…

“Maybe it’s time to talk about our night routines?”

“Sure!” Sparkler said. “We can do that!”

“Alright!” Autumn said. “I’ll start.

“So, I prefer morning showers, so you won’t really see me doing that at night.” Autumn began with. “If I’m coming home after a day out like this one, I just do the basics, like teeth brushing.

“On nights when I’m alone, I then usually read a book.

“And then… not much. I mean, when I am alone for the night, I tend to go to bed early out of lonely sadness. There’s not much to do by myself.” Autumn’s voice lowered and droned with.

“But, if I do have company,” she perked up, “one of my favorite sleepover activities is, well, uh… I can explain it later. My second favorite would then be cuddling.”

“Yeah, there’s not a whole lot to my night routine. Most of my interesting activity is during the day.” Autumn finished with.

“Oh, so yer a cuddler? Cool!” Sparkler said.

“I am.” Autumn said. “A huge cuddler.” Autumn chose to not say any more after that yet.

“Well. As for me. I usually have dinner, brush my teeth, brush my mane and tail, then Flappy and I spend time preening our--I mean his wings.” Sparkler caught herself.

No! What did I just say?! Sparkler shouted in her mind, resisting the urge to hit herself on the forehead. She couldn't believe she almost blew it so easily!

Meanwhile, Flappy was glancing quickly at both Sparkler and Autumn. Is it bad I want Autumn to inquire about it hard so we can lay this to rest tonight?

Much to Sparkler’s misfortune, Autumn had noticed the gaffe. “What?” She asked.

“...Yeah. Flappy and I like to preen his wings together. To make sure he gets all the spots. Hehe.” Sparkler replied, trying desperately to remain calm.

Autumn saw Sparkler’s body shivering as if freezing temperatures and took in her telling tone of that sentence, but chose not to pry anything out of her. For this interaction, Autumn wanted to take it back to its happy place.

“So, does it feel good to get preened, Flappy?” Autumn asked.

“Squawk! Oh yes it does! Squawk!” Flappy replied. “Squawk! It’s the best feeling ever. Squawk!”

“Aww, cute. That’s great to hear.” Autumn said with a smile. “So, during this night, have you and Flappy done that yet?”

“Not yet.” Sparkler said.

“Okay. So then, how about you go do that?” Autumn suggested.

“Squawk! That’s fine. If we miss one night it isn’t a big deal. Squawk!” Flappy responded.

“Well, I did figure we use each other’s actual night routines for this trial.” Autumn said.

“Wait, you mean I do your routine and you do mine?” Sparkler asked.

“Hehe, no.” Autumn said. “I mean that since this is a trial to test how we work as roommates, we shouldn’t deviate from our normal routines. They’re going to be part of our lives if we become a pair.”

“Squawk! Trio. Squawk!” Flappy interjected.

“Oh, right.” Autumn corrected. “Sorry about forgetting you, Flappy.”

“Squawk! It’s fine. Squawk!”

“Thanks. Anyway, yeah, let’s keep doing our normal routines tonight to really test how things work, is what I meant.” Autumn said.

“Alright. We can do that. Let’s do this. Flappy and I will preen his wings while yer in the bathroom brushing your teeth. Then when yer done, Flappy and I can brush our teeth and I can change into my Pjs.” Sparkler suggested.

“That sounds great!” Autumn said.

“Great! Let’s get to it!” Sparkler exclaimed.

Autumn headed down the hall and to the left for her bathroom, while Sparkler and Flappy stayed in the living room. Sparkler lit her horn and summoned a preening brush from one of her bags.

“Kitchen table. Now.” Sparkler said to Flappy.

By her tone, Flappy sensed Sparkler wasn’t in the mood for any shenanigans, so he zipped over to Autumn’s table and landed, while Sparkler trotted behind him. He spread out his right wing for Sparkler to preen. “Squawk! You’re lucky, you know. Squawk!” He commented.

“You think I don’t know that?!” Sparkler exclaimed with a hushed tone. “One word. I was one word away from revealing mah wings tonight!”

“Squawk! Good thing Autumn didn’t question it. Squawk!”

“Good thing indeed.”

They stopped their speech into silence as Sparkler began to lovingly preen Flappy’s left wing.

Autumn, alone in her bathroom, had the time and place to turn her mind back to Sparkler’s questioning behavior from earlier. She didn’t desire to think about it, but it was a sticky overtaker that wouldn’t go away unless she gave it attention.

Sparkler said “our”, and then backtracked to “his wings. Uhh…”

And then she’s also been wearing a poncho this whole time… in the desert… okay, I get that some ponies wear them for style, but I feel like Sparkler would have motivation if she was to wear one in hot Appleloosa…

And again, what she said earlier…

Autumn shook her head and vowed to not let this whole thing distract her from the trial sleepover. It’s not time for that right now, she thought as she opened the door to return to the living room.

“I’m back.” Autumn called out to her friends. “Still preening?”

“Just finished!” Sparkler said as Autumn heard her setting the brush on the table. A symbolic noise of a finished task.

“Nice! Must feel good!” Autumn said.

“Squawk! You’ll never understand it unless you somehow turned into a Pegasus. It’s the best feeling ever. Squawk!” Flappy said.

“You’re right. I’ll never know what wing preening is like, but I do sure know that I like it when ponies brush my body.” Autumn said.

“Hehe. Maybe we could do that sometime.” Sparkler commented.

“Oh yeah!” Autumn exclaimed.

She then moved to the next topic. “Sparkler, I think it’s time to work out sleeping arrangements. By any chance, do you want to keep using the floor mattress that the fillies were using? I haven’t bothered to put it away.”

“Now hang on. Flappy and I still need to get into the bathroom.”

“Okay.” Autumn said.

Sparkler and Flappy walked past Autumn and made their way into her white bathroom, where they did not talk. Not a single word about the wings situation. They just did the teeth brushing, and then Sparkler exchanged her poncho for her onesie.

Glancing at the look, Flappy giggled. “Squawk! Aww, you look cute! Squawk!”

“Thanks. Hopefully it’s thick enough in the event Autumn wraps her forelegs around me.” Sparkler replied, glancing at her sides to make sure of the onesie’s effectiveness.

WIth that, they repacked their toothbrushes and came out of the bathroom.

“And done.” Sparkler called out, alerting Autumn that they were back.

Autumn walked over near the hallway to see them, and noticed Sparkler had changed into a fuzzy blue onesie, sharing the recognized color of her aura and covering her from neck to hooves.

“Eee! You look adorable, Sparkler!” Autumn exclaimed.

Sparkler blushed. “Oh...y-you think so?” She asked.

“Well, not in that way.” Autumn assured. “In the same way that I find a kitten adorable.”

“Yeah I know what you meant. I just blush whenever somepony that’s not my parents says I’m cute or adorable.” Sparkler explained.

“Oh. Well, that’s perfectly understandable.” Autumn said.

“Anyway, what should we do now?”

“We could discuss those sleeping arrangements now. In response to that question. I can take the mattress...unless you have a better idea?” Sparkler asked.

“What kind of better idea?” Autumn asked.

“I don’t know.” Sparkler replied.

Autumn did have an idea she considered better, but she drew it back with the label “too hasty.”

“I don’t know either.” She simply said.

“Do you want to take the floor mattress?” Autumn asked. “For reference, it is the most comfortable option.”

“Sure. I can take the mattress.” Sparkler replied.

“Great!” Autumn said. “I did fully make it today, so there you go.”

“That’s nice. Usually I don’t even bother unless it was a special occasion.” Sparkler said.

“Bother with making the bed?” Autumn asked.

“Yeah. I don’t really see the point to be honest.” Sparkler replied.

“Fair enough.” Autumn said. “But I did make it tonight, so, there you go, I guess.

“Anyway, what do we want to do now?” Autumn asked.

“Hm...Not sure.” Sparkler said. “Heh. Sorry I don’t really know what to do at these sleepovers.” She added.

“No problem.” Autumn said. “I can figure it out. First off, are you tired? Do you feel ready to go to sleep?”

“Nope.” Sparkler said. “I’m still wide awake.”

“Okay.” Autumn said. “How about, then, we read a book together?”

“I’m down for that.” Sparkler said.

“Squawk! What book should we read? Squawk!”

“Hmm. Let’s see what I’ve got.” Autumn said as she walked over to her short brown bookshelf that sits below the living room window. “Oh, I could narrow these options down. Sparkler, do you prefer fiction or nonfiction?”

“Fiction, definitely. Oh! Do you have Daring Do?” Sparkler asked.

“I do!” Autumn said, flashing The Quest for the Sapphire Stone, that series’ opening book.

“Squawk! The Quest for the Sapphire Stone! The first one in the series! I love that one! Squawk!” Flappy exclaimed.

“I do too!” Autumn said. “In fact, this book was what brought me and Rainbow Dash together in a hangout for the first time.”

“Cool!” Sparkler said. “Let’s read...actually, I have a better idea.”

“What better idea?” Autumn asked.

“May I see the book?” Sparkler asked, lighting her horn.

“Sure.” Autumn said, holding out her hoof.

Sparkler took the book in her magic and scanned the room. “It’s a spell mah dad taught me. What it does take the contents of a book, and allows the caster to project them into a 3D space. Kinda like a theater production.” She explained.

“Whoa! That sounds amazing!” Autumn exclaimed.

“Squawk! It’s how she was able to learn some things in school. Some things she just could not get on paper. She needed to see it. Squawk!” Flappy commented.

“Well, that should lead to a more fun book reading!” Autumn said. “Not that I don’t like reading, but I think I like watching movies better.”

“All I need is some empty space to work with.” Sparkler said.

“Uh… is my living room big enough?” Autumn asked in concern.

“Perfect.” Sparkler said. “Wanna make some popcorn to snack over?” She asked.

“Sure!” Autumn said. “Who makes it; you or me?”

“Got a bag of corn? I can make popcorn in a snap with magic.” Sparkler responded.

“Oh, good.” Autumn said. “Let’s do it, then!”

“Then mind getting the corn?” Sparkler asked.

“Not at all.” Autumn said. She headed into her kitchen, opened the snack cabinet, and rushed out to hoof Sparkler the bag.

Sparkler smiled as she took the bag in her magic after setting the book down on the couch. She locked her focus on the bag and brightly flashed her horn, resulting in everypony hearing the faster-and-faster-coming sounds of popping as the bag grew larger.

“Whoa! You’re like a living super-microwave!” Autumn commented as Sparkler cancelled the magic to a fresh, completed popcorn bag.

“Squawk! That’s one way to put it. Squawk!” Flappy said.

“Yeah. Magic just makes everything easier.” Sparkler added.

“I do sometimes wonder what it would be like to have it.” Autumn said as she walked over to the couch in preparation for movie night.

Sparkler and Flappy followed her lead and they all set themselves up on Autumn’s bright-yellow couch. Sparkler again held the book in her magic and shot different magic into it. In response, the magic repulsed and reentered Sparkler’s horn, along with cloned copies of the book’s words. Strands of letters floating right into it.

“Ahem. Fillies and gentlebird. I present to you, Daring Do and The Quest for the Sapphire Stone.” Sparkler said as she lit her horn and shot out a big blue screen. Movie night; here we come.


As the hours passed, Autumn grew more and more drowsy, losing her ability to stay awake and focus on the film.

(Yawn) Ah man, I can’t have it both ways. Either I miss the rest of the movie, or absolutely collapse tonight.

She tried to choose the latter option, holding her eye muscles open with force, but eventually, the fatigue absolutely overpowered her, and she dozed off leaning to her left, where... right where Sparkler is.

Not before Autumn’s instincts activated and she wrapped a front leg around Sparkler’s chest, Autumn snapped wide open and bolted off her friend, in fear that she had gotten too up-close and personal for their first night together.

Which got Sparkler’s attention. She turned and raised an eyebrow at Autumn. “Are you alright there Autumn?” She asked.

“Oh. Oh no, I’m sorry, Sparkler.” Autumn said. “That was too much for tonight, wasn’t it?”

“What are ya going on about?” Sparkler asked.

Autumn sighed. She had no other path to go down.

“I cuddled you… without asking you if it was okay.” Autumn admitted, shedding a tear.

Sparkler saw the tear and just smiled as she let out a chuckle. “Is that it? Aw sugarcube, don’t be upset. I didn’t mind.” She assured Autumn.

Autumn sniffled. “Really? You didn’t mind?” She asked.

“Of course not.” Sparkler said. “I’ll be honest. I’m something of a cuddler myself.” She admitted, canceling the projection spell despite the movie not being over.

Autumn let out a smile as she leaned a bit closer to Sparkler, thinking she had it right what she was getting at.

Sparkler saw what she was doing and giggled. “So if’n you want to cuddle, I won’t say no.” She said.

“Hehe. Well, I’m getting tired; are you ready to hit the hay?” Autumn asked.

“Yeah we probably should hit the hay.” Sparkler said, letting out a yawn.

“Want to use my bed?” Autumn asked, hopping off the couch.

“What happened to me using the floor mattress? Unless you want us to cuddle in our sleep.” Sparkler said.

“Oh. Yeah, that’s what I was getting at. Cuddling in our sleep.”

Sparkler chuckled. “Sure. We can do that. I can be the big spoon if ya want.” Sparkler asked.

Autumn giggled. “Sure. You be the big spoon.” She absolutely loved the idea of being spooned by her new friend.

“Well then. After you.” Sparkler said. Gesturing for Autumn to lead them to the bed.

Autumn couldn’t wait. She already felt the cuddles about to come at her from behind as she skipped over, on her hooves, to her bed despite tiredness. She dived into the left side of the bed and already laid as the little spoon.

Sparkler, ready for cuddles, entered the room to see Autumn already in position. “Well somepony’s eager.” She joked.

Autumn giggled in response. We really are friends.

Sparkler walked to the right side of the bed and climbed in. As soon as she could, she wrapped her forelegs around Autumn’s midsection and pulled her back against her body.

Autumn could feel the warm, tight, loving embrace and fluffy fabric of Sparkler’s onesie pajamas. “Aww. You’re such a great friend.”

“Aww. Yer a good friend too Autumn.” Sparkler replied with a smile.

Autumn couldn’t respond to that. Her heart would burst.

She chose to add a different comment. “Your onesie is perfect!” she said to Sparkler. “Its fabric is so soft and fluffy!”

Sparkler giggled. “Yeah. It is pretty cozy, ain’t it.” She said.

“It tells me you’re good at clothes shopping.” Autumn said.

“Nah. Not me. I don’t have a lot of clothes actually. Really just a coat fer cold days, A poncho for everyday use, and this onesie.” Sparkler said.

“Well, when you do clothes shop, you know what to buy.” Autumn said.

“Thanks.” Sparkler said. After a moment, she had an idea. “Hey Autumn?”

“Yeah?”

“Do you like being pet?” Sparkler asked.

“Oh yeah I do!” Autumn said. “It feels amazing!”

“Then want me to pet you?” Sparkler asked.

“Yes please!” Autumn exclaimed.

Sparkler giggled. “Yer wish is mah command.” She retracted one of her hooves and started stroking it through Autumn’s mane.

Autumn’s eyes drifted closed and her head sunk into the pillow as she felt the soft, moving touch, going from the top of her head to where her mane ended. Sparkler sure knew how to pet.

“Thank you so much.” Autumn said quietly.

“No problem pard’ner.” Sparkler replied as she continued to pet the mane, while also starting to rub Autumn’s belly with her other hoof.

Autumn felt herself about to drift off to sleep with how good this felt. Sparkler was a professional.

“Goodnight, Sparkler.” Autumn said.

“G’night Autumn. Sweet dreams.” Sparkler replied as they ended the day.

To be continued...

Author's Note:

THX FOR READING!