• Published 7th Feb 2021
  • 537 Views, 50 Comments

What Does Music Really Mean? - Artist



In Canterlot City, Twilight and her friends work in a retirement home for musicians. And over time, they discover what the true meaning of music is about.

  • ...
35
 50
 537

In the group home!

It was a quiet and peaceful night at the Canterlot City Retirement home, and Sunset was walking through the entrance of the facility, ready to begin her shift. As she was checking in, she saw Rainbow Dash with an exhausted look on her face.

“Hope you have a good night's rest,” Sunset said.

“Don’t worry Sunset, I will,” Rainbow said as she let out a long yawn as she left the building.

After retrieving her keys, she went up to the front desk, where Twilight was waiting for her, smiling happily.

Once upstairs Sunset bumped into Fluttershy and a portly man who wore a cowboy hat and cowboy boots and blue jeans.

“Hey Allen how are you?” Sunset asked.

“I'm mad as hell, I don't want to take it anymore,” Allen said in his best impression of Jimmy Buffett.

“Oh dear, well it's late, maybe you should go to bed, Jimmy is already in bed,” Sunset said smiling.

“Jimmy is already in bed,” A voice said behind them, as a guy came out of his room, he's wearing a pair of blue pajamas, his beautiful green eyes glittering in the dim light of the hallway.

“Jimmy go back to bed, you can see Allen tomorrow, ok?” Fluttershy said as she took Jimmy’s hand and went back into his room with him.

“See Allen tomorrow, ok?” Jimmy said as Fluttershy turned out the lights and closed the door.

“So Fluttershy, why is Allen so mad?” Sunset asked Fluttershy.

“Flutters says that I need to take my meds now, but I don’t want to take those stupid meds,” Allen said.

“But Allen, remember what the doctor said, you’re supposed to take these pills every night to help with your blood pressure,” Fluttershy said.

“Aww hell, fine I’ll take the stupid pill,” Allen said as he got a glass of water from his bedside.

“I’m glad that you’re being cooperative tonight Allen,” Sunset said.

“Whatever, I’m just doing this to get it over with and get some sleep,” Allen said.


It was early morning, and when Rainbow Dash was checking in for the day shift, she saw Sunset fast asleep on her desk.

“Hey Sunset, you can go home now,” Rainbow said as she tapped Sunset on the shoulder, waking her up.

“Mmmm...huh, oh Dash, (Yawn), is it morning already?” Sunset asked with a tired look on her face.

“Yep, time for my shift to begin,” Rainbow said.

“Yeah, man I am so exhausted from one of the patients screaming all night,” Sunset said. “When I get home, I’m taking a nice long nap on the couch.”

“Alright, see you in the evening,” Rainbow said as Sunset left the building.

“I have to go check on Paul,” Rainbow said as she went to Twilight’s desk.

“Ok, you can do that, oh and could you also check on Ringo,” Twilight said to Rainbow.

“Sure I'll do that,” Rainbow said as she went upstairs to Paul's room.

As she stood in front of Paul's room, she knocked on the door.

“Come in,” a voice said in a Liverpool accent, as Rainbow came into the room, she saw a thin man laying in his bed, next to him a portly man was sitting in his wheelchair.

“Good morning guys!” Rainbow said and signed.

“Hey, could you please get me in my wheelchair?” The man who's laying in bed asked Rainbow.

“Sure thing Paul.” Rainbow said as she got the hoyer lift ready and brought it over to Paul's bedside then she rolled him on his side and put the sling under him, then she lifted Paul into his wheelchair, after she had got him positioned in his wheelchair, she changed Paul's leg bag which was attached to his catheter.

Rainbow started dressed Paul in a gray t-shirt and blue jeans, then she realized that she should have dressed him in his bed, not his wheelchair.

“There you go, all nice and clean!” Rainbow said as she was getting Ringo ready for the day.

"Let's go downstairs for breakfast, I heard that we will have pancakes," Rainbow said as she handed Ringo his hearing aids.

"Thanks," Ringo signed. Rainbow took Ringo and Paul downstairs for breakfast, once they were downstairs they were greeted by Jimmy and Allen.

Jimmy was so excited that he got up out of his seat and started jumping up and down.

“Jimmy it's time to sit down now!” Rainbow said.

“I can’t take it anymore!” Jimmy shouted as he got more anxious.

“Jimmy look at me, please, you need to sit down please,” Fluttershy tried to plead with him.

But Jimmy didn’t listen to what Fluttershy told him, instead of sitting down, he went to Paul and Ringo then he hit Paul.

“Hey, Jimmy please don't!” Paul tries to say but Jimmy doesn't listen.

“Please stop that Jimmy,” Ringo tried to say, but Jimmy wasn’t listening to Ringo, instead he sat down on the floor and started to rock back and forth.

After a few minutes of rocking Jimmy got up and started yelling loudly and hitting himself and throwing things.

Fluttershy tried to calm him down but it didn’t work, Jimmy just continued hitting himself.

Paul was getting really uncomfortable with the situation, but all he could do was sit there and watch as the room was thrown into disarray.

Ringo took out his hearing aid and threw it across the room then he sat in his wheelchair and started to get more and more upset.

Rainbow tried to explain to Stevie who had come into the room for breakfast what was going on. Stevie felt his way over to Jimmy and tried to explain that Paul, Ringo and Allen were very upset because Jimmy’s behavior was not acceptable.

Stevie was wearing black sunglasses and a black shirt and blue jeans.

Stevie was one of the more independent residents, meaning he didn't need much help unlike the others, because of his independence sometimes Rainbow would ask him to help out with the other residents, which he did very well but sometimes like today even Stevie didn't know what to do, especially when Jimmy was acting out.

“Jimmy let’s go outside, come on!” Stevie said as he tried to calm Jimmy down.

Usually when Jimmy was upset Stevie would take him outside for a walk to calm down.

“Let’s go outside, let’s go outside!!!!!” Jimmy yelled running outside, almost knocking Stevie over in the process.

“Jimmy come back here!” Stevie called Jimmy, but Jimmy was already gone.

Stevie sat down on the floor looking exhausted.

“Hey, Stevie you did your best, Jimmy just needs some time to calm down.” Rainbow said, sitting down next to Stevie.

“Thanks, Dash.” Stevie said, bowing his head.

“You're welcome, it will be ok.” Dash said, hugging Stevie.

Then she got up and walked away and out of the dining room, and sat down with her back to the dining room door and started crying.

Concerned for her friend, Fluttershy went outside to see why Rainbow was crying.

“Hey Rainbow, what's wrong?” Fluttershy asked sitting down on the floor next to her friend.

“I don't know, I guess I got too overwhelmed with all that's been going on, you know?” Rainbow said as she got a hug from her friend.

“Yes, I understand, but sometimes life is hard, but we just don't give up, we have to keep going.” Fluttershy said to her friend as she got up from the floor and helped Rainbow to her feet.

“Thanks so much, Shy!” Rainbow said, hugging her friend.

“Now let's go and find Jimmy, he couldn't have gotten far!” Fluttershy said.

“But I’m really worried about him, as he has no sense of danger!” Rainbow said as she and Fluttershy were walking into the dining room.

“Hey guys, I just wanted to say that Jimmy is missing and we need to find him!” Fluttershy announced.


Sunset was parking her car over to the parking lot so she could start her shift, but when she entered the building to check in, she saw Rainbow-Dash sitting near the entrance crying.

“Rainbow, what happened?” Sunset said as she got Rainbow up on her feet.

“Sunset, I’m sorry, it’s just that it was a really busy day today, and I don’t know what happened, but Jimmy just got a little too excited. Fluttershy and I tried everything to calm him down, but nothing was working,” Rainbow said.

“And then Jimmy got out and now I can’t find him and I don’t know what to do now.” Rainbow said as she started bursting into tears.

“Don’t worry, Dash, we will continue looking for Jimmy tomorrow, besides we won’t be able to find him at this time of night, just go home and get some rest, ok,” Sunset said with a sympathetic smile.

“Ok, Sunset, thanks for this little chat, I really needed that,” Rainbow-Dash said as she got in her car and left for the night.

“Alright, after I get my keys, I’ll go and see what the problem is,” Sunset said as she went to retrieve her keys.

After Sunset finished getting Ringo and Paul into bed, she went to Allen’s room to see how Fluttershy was doing. Sunset saw that Allen was already fast asleep and that Fluttershy was also fast asleep in a chair right next to Allen’s bed. Sunset made a small smile, and after she quietly closed the door to Allen’s room, Sunset went to the main office to get started writing the paperwork that needed to be done by tomorrow.

While Sunset was writing out the paperwork, she kept wondering about Jimmy and if he got hurt or worse, but Sunset put her fears aside and continued her paperwork as she knew they would find Jimmy in the morning.

After finishing up the paperwork, then Sunset went to check on Paul, but as she got to his door, she saw Ringo sitting in his wheelchair in front of Paul's room and he was crying.

“Hey Ringo, what's wrong?” Sunset asked, concern written on her face.

“Just a little bit of a bad night!” Ringo signed.

“Oh I'm so sorry, is there anything I can do for you?” Sunset signed, raising her eyebrows to indicate a question.

“No I'm fine, it's just been a really hard day,” Ringo signed, wheeling himself back to his room.

“Well I hope you sleep well tonight, Ringo, good night, I'll see you tomorrow night,” Sunset signed, smiling as she went back downstairs to get some sleep, when she got downstairs she got the mattress that was in the supply closet then she lay it out on the floor next to her desk, and kicked off her shoes and socks, then she fell asleep as the moon was shining outside.

Author's Note:

This is the first chapter of a 2 part story.

I hope you like it