• Published 13th Feb 2021
  • 1,747 Views, 16 Comments

Last Order of Queen Chrysalis - Unknown Ficwriter



Thorax discovers why Queen Chrysalis allowed his defection.

  • ...
6
 16
 1,747

The Final Act

As Tirek, Cozy Glow, and Queen Chrysalis were encased in stone every creature cheered. However, Thorax found nothing to celebrate this day. While having helped usher an era of peace, they had to imprison Chrysalis to do so.

Looking at the statues below, he felt a twinge of sorrow. Snapped from his musings, Thorax noticed Pharynx had approached him. As their eyes met, Thorax could see his brother might be experiencing similar feelings. Spreading their wings they shot into the air.

Thorax and his brother landed behind Twilight and her friends with the swarm landing behind them. As the group began conversing amongst themselves Thorax went to examine the statues. A multitude of emotions erupted in his mind but none became vocal.

After a moment to gather his thoughts, Thorax returned to the group only to be greeted by Celestia. Understanding how they may feel Celestia bade them farewell. After flying a distance from Ponyville, Pharynx flew beside his brother. Asking if they should've accepted Celestia's invitation instead of heading home.

Without diverting his attention Thorax told him how attending would've been awkward for everyone. As if sensing the oncoming discussion, the entire swarm stopped moments after the brothers. "Unless you've reinitialized the hive mind you don't know how everybody feels. Perhaps some of us wanted to attend," Pharynx suggested.

Admittingly Thorax had decided to leave based on his feelings. Taking Pharynx's concern into consideration he addressed the swarm. Although proven right, Thorax wished he'd be mistaken. Noticing the defeated posture Pharynx had assumed, Thorax fluttered closer.

"I realize we should be celebrating but it wouldn't be right. Chrysalis was evil and vindictive but she was our mother. Celestia knows the loss of a parent, regardless of their morel alignment, will always affect their children. Perhaps one day we'll be able to join in their merriment but not right now..."

With a weak smile, Pharynx nodded before they continued home. After several hours of flying, the changelings reached the outskirts of The Badlands. Instead of being glad a rush of worry washed over Thorax. He didn't understand why or what was causing the feeling. All he knew was something felt wrong, not world-ending, but still substantially off.

Thorax attempted to shoo away such unpleasant feelings but to no avail. In fact, the sensation seemed to grow as they neared their hive. Unable to stand the feeling any longer, Thorax inconspicuously got Pharynx's attention. While not understanding the situation entirely he agreed to cover Thorax's absence if the need should arise.

With a word of gratitude Thorax shrunk to the size of a fly before departing. Once they were out of sight he turned into a native bird to the desert. He roamed the desert for what felt like hours with little more than a "ping" guiding his path. Starting to feel a little parched he ducked into a nearby cave.

Thankful the chosen cave wasn't shallow which offered a cool place to rest and condensation to gather. Choosing the smoothest surface available Thorax laid down. A green glow soon lit the cave as magic gathered in his horn. Before the magic could be utilized however a hauntingly familiar voice echoed further inward.

Leaping to his feet he converted what magic gathered into an illumination spell. Extending the light radius to its max, Thorax cautiously explored the cave. Echos of hooves and water droplets verberated off the walls. He stopped several times to confirm he was alone.

It's only my imagination he'd thought before turning around. "Don't go, we have much to discuss," the dreaded voice called out. There was no mistake this time Chrysalis was here. Without thinking, he turned and ran for help. On more than one occasion he nearly slammed into the wall due to the slick floor.

Only after reentering the sunlight did he feel a sliver of relief. Not having to worry about colliding with anything he glanced over his shoulder. Overjoyed at having escaped the former queen Thorax ran harder. After a mile or two a thought crossed his mind. The insidious implication of it caused him to stop in his tracks.

Since his birth, Thorax had never known Chrysalis to back down. Her absence meant that she was either baiting him to return or tailing him. After several minutes of jumping at shadows and whips of wind, Thorax had enough. Once properly psyched, Thorax returned to the cave entrance.

With an audible gulp, he marched in to meet Chrysalis. The former queen politely asked him to sit across from her and listen. With a safe distance between them, Thorax sat and waited for Chrysalis to explain herself. "I was wondering if you'd muster enough courage to face me alone," she replied. Unable to contain his hate and frustration, Thorax began to shout at her.

However, Thorax became more perplexed as each insult filled the cave. Instead of becoming angry, or showing any emotion, Chrysalis took each one in stride. Realizing the futility of this, Thorax cast one final insult. As the cave fell silent Chrysalis got to her hooves, "Are you done?"

Without waiting for an answer she levitated a small object and tossed it to him. Snatching it from the air Thorax realized it was a canteen. "I figured you might be thirst, especially after that tirade." With a disgruntled grunt his gaze shifting from the canteen to Chrysalis.

"Do you expect me to drink this? How do I know it's not poisoned," Thorax growled. A muffled blump echoed as the canteen hit the cave wall. Paying no mind to his petty defiance Chrysalis continued to stroll closer. Walking into the artificial light, Thorax noticed how exhausted she looked.

"We saw you get turned to stone, how is it possible that you're here?" Thorax asked. Smiling, Chrysalis revealed the creature he saw was a log transfigured to be her double*. Not wanting to get sidetracked by a long explanation Chrysalis flared out her wings.

Following suit Thorax assumed an attack position as well. "Oh, do you believe yourself capable of defeating me single-hoofed?" Her eyes took on an eerie green glow while a deep hiss cut through the silence.

A forked tongue slipped past her parted lips to shake violently at him. Vanishing before he could react Chrysalis reappeared on his back. Screams, akin to live-skinned animals, filled the cave as her fangs pierced his neck. Bucking and thrashing, Thorax attempted to throw her off.

After slamming Chrysalis repeatedly against the rocky wall Thorax was finally free from her grip. Unfortunately, his vision began to blur while his limbs felt heavy. "Wh... What have you done?!" Thorax demanded before passing out. Smiling at the still form of Thorax, Chrysalis limped away. Levitating the discarded canteen she opened the lid and took a drink.

Author's Note:

* Reference to the episode The Mean Six