• Published 11th Jan 2021
  • 467 Views, 15 Comments

On the Road - Smakleapp



Twilight flees Ponyville after a mental breakdown, with Flurry Heart in tow.

  • ...
0
 15
 467

The Mind Of Three

Twilight's eyes did not hesitate to open. Instead opting for a quick release. Twilight stared at the starry sky, back lying on the grass and leaves of the forest. It was chilly, causing Twilight to shiver and hug her own body. She didn’t mind, instead reveling in it.

She knew what she did. She knew how everything else happened. She remembered the sight of the lonely castle, realizing that they really did leave. She remembered the lonely streets, as no pony dared to be out at night unless they wished to freeze.

She remembered...the absence of thought. She remembered everything just...happening. She just found Flurry, she just was alone, and just nopony cared. After that dream, Twilight began to think if the series of events that transpired were somepony else's doing.

Another thought hit her as she was contemplating her dream, and it was the fact that she didn’t dream. At least, not anymore. She couldn’t afford to accidentally think of her current whereabouts, leading Luna to her exact position. So, she couldn’t figure out how she experienced that nightmare fuel “dream.” If it was a dream, Twilight was sure that Luna would pop up in her head. Most likely would be telling me to come home.

Through this analytical thinking, Twilight stopped. It occurred to Twilight that she just went through Hell on Not-Earth, and yet was here being a scholar, analyzing what she had been through. This thought stuck with her, and although Twilight tried to fight it off, it stuck.

She stared at the starry sky, and reached up with her hoof, trying to touch the gleaming lights. “Brain, why are you so damn annoying?”

Twilight fell asleep to a humming sound she characterized as the wind and water. As she drifted off, the rune stopped glowing.

~

“Luna, any news?” Celestia creaked open the door of her younger sister’s room. The sister in question was out on the balcony, oblivious to Celestia and her calling.

Tia walked up to her sister, admiring the stars that danced on top of her ceiling. Usually, Celestia noted, they would join together when a certain something lingered on Luna’s mind. For the last few days, they were stuck as a picture of a certain friendship princess.

“Luna?” The younger sister turned around, her eyes just becoming vibrant as she snapped out of her dream state. She was grumpy looking, and Celestia decided for an early sunrise.

“Ughhhhhhh…..” Luna groaned. She really is dead tired, Celestia thought. Thankfully, she had the solution. Tia pulled a cake seemingly out of nowhere, earning a smile from the tired alicorn. “Tia…” she smirked as she graciously grabbed the cake, devouring it in two bites.

The two sat on Luna's bed, as girls in a sleepover would sit on the bed to talk about their crushes. The sisters stared at each other until Luna sighed. “Tia, she is doing everything with careful thought. Thou princess isn't even dreaming!”

“Sister, there is no need for you to speak in Royal Tounge to me.”

Luna sheepishly smiled.”She isn't dreaming.” Her face was now one of utter hopelessness. “It may have started off as a spur of the moment decision, but everything we do is coming up short. Tia, you knew Twilight ever since she was a filly. She is just…” Luna sighed once again. “I don't think she is coming back.”

Celestia sat there, her eyes never wavering, staring at her beloved sister. “If you um...if you say so.” Celestia began to move her way out of the bedroom.

“Tia!” Celestia turned around mid trot. “She had a nightmare today-”

No sooner had she said this than when Celestia rocketed onto the bed. “She did?” Celestia asked excitedly.

Luna grimaced. “Well not exactly…” Celestia slammed her hooves down in frustration, the usually calm ruler now filled with confusion and betrayal.

“Then what?” Celestia demanded.

“Tia, she was stuck in a Private Void. As such-”

Celestia cut her off. “Sister, I’m sorry I can’t travel through dreams like you, and as such, I don’t know any of these terms. What is a Private Void?” There was a hint of bitterness in her voice, despite Luna telling her sister about her dreamscaping multiple times before and after the banishment.

“It is basically a private world or dream. It’s where one can meditate privately without my interference. They are rare, as high amounts of magic must be used to create one.”

Celestia shook her head. “Wait, then how is it a nightmare?”

Luna grimaced even harder. “You see, dreams give off Dream Energy, otherwise known as DE. It can tell me what type of dream somepony is having, so I can decide if I wish to intervene or not. The Private Void she was in was, well…” Luna bit her lip. Celestia leaned forward in anticipation. “It was evil, Tia.”

Celestia stared at Luna. She didn’t show her shock. Instead, she asked, “How accurate are the DE’s”

Luna groaned. “Sister! Listen to me! You are letting personal feelings cloud your judgment. We can't simply wait for her to come back. We need to send a squad of guards and-”

“No!” Celestia barked. “I won't let us hunt her down like a runaway tyrant, Luna! The poor girl is scared, for Pete’s sake! What, you want me to sick the dogs on her?” Luna said nothing, biting on her lip harder. “Your stupid DE things or whatever prove she is in trouble! Luna, she will come back! Please,” Celestia pleaded.

It was Luna’s turn to stare at her sister. “No.”

BAM! A hoof slammed against the wall of the bedroom. Luna didn’t even jump back.

“We are sentencing this young mare to death if we let her go. The Private Void shows she is being tainted.” Before Celestia could say anything, Luna held a hoof up. “We both know how much magic she must be using to keep hidden. The Private Void is too powerful for her to even start conjuring.”

Celestia muttered under her breath, “So that means she is-”

“Tainted, yes. Tia, you must know that an outside force reaching Twilight in the current state that she is in is…” Luna slowly stopped speaking, as she realized her sister was now crying. “Tia, what’s wrong?” She finally got off her bed to console the weeping Princess.

Celestia tried to talk through sobs, but Luna could not understand a single word that was spoken. “Tia, one more time.”

The older sister shook her head. “Sister, you have convinced me. I will speak to the guards to get my associates for a meeting first thing in the mourning.” Celestia wiped a tear away from her eye. “I believe Rarity is in Canterlot, seeking a meeting with me. I will invite her at the same time.” Luna only nodded. “I'm sure, dear Sister, that you will be there?” Another nod.

Celestia slowly walked out of the room, Luna not doing anything to stop her from leaving. Before she went out the door, Tia, turned around. “Luna, I’m sorry for acting rather out of character before. I hope you know how much this means to me.”

“Of course. We all do.”

Another nod from both Sisters. “Luna?”

“Yes?”

“I’m sorry. For everything.” She forced a smile. “One would think I would learn my lesson.” And with that solemn note, Celestia left her sister alone, to gaze at her starry ceiling. Only now, it took the shape of the Sun Goddess.