• Published 11th Jan 2021
  • 466 Views, 15 Comments

On the Road - Smakleapp



Twilight flees Ponyville after a mental breakdown, with Flurry Heart in tow.

  • ...
0
 15
 466

The Start of a Trip

Normal. That’s what Twilight was thinking of. The mare was perfectly calm and stable. The road she traveled on wasn’t rocky, but yet nice and smooth. A small wind traveled through the air, brushing past Twilight’s mane and through the grass and trees surrounding the road. Running water could be heard out in the distance, not roaring, but seemingly ready to differ at any moment. What the pony didn’t know was that a storm was coming. A big one. Rainbow and the other Pegasus did so to try and get Twilight back home. They also hoped the weather ponies could see her as they were getting ready for the storm. But Twilight was oblivious to the change that was about to occur, and her hooves plodded against the road enthusiastically.

The mare began to hum, not to any song in particular, just singing whatever melody went into her head. Spike. Her friends. The Princess. Humming about heading South made the thought of abandoning everything she knew to go out of her head. Twilight preferred what she was now. Alone.

“Habubaa!”

Except of course, for the baby alicorn on her back.

Flurry Heart was propped up on her aunt’s back, gleefully sucking her hooves and hugging Twilights back. Twilight smiled and kept heading down the road. Las Pegasus, here I come! A whole new life is just what I need! Twilights glee changed to utter despair in a second. She stopped walking so confidently. She stopped walking at all, becoming still and silent. Flurry was taken by surprise, letting go a tiny, “Eep!”

Tears fell down Twilights face. She was ignoring everything at this point. The breakdown, the leaving, the changing. Oh god no, not the changing. Change. “Why?” Twilight didn’t realize she spoke out loud. A smile appeared in the mare’s face almost as quickly as it left, muzzle still wet from tears. She was fine. I’m fine.

Again, in another sudden change of attitude, Twilight stomped her hoof down. “Fucking horse apples!” Twilight would have collapsed, but was mindful of Flurry in her back, and hung her head down instead. Tears hit the ground again. Why is she on my back? Why are we heading to Las Pegasus? Why? Why, why, WHY!?

“WHY?!?!”

Flurry was silent. Twilight felt hatred toward change. It messed everything up, making things that were so good go so bad. She couldn’t spend time with her friends, or her brother. She and Celestia were growing apart due to a busy schedule. Everything was different in the worst possible way. She needed this. That’s why. I DO have a reason! Twilight smiled again, not a forced smile, but a genuine one, and trotted along, Flurry stayed quiet except for a few groans whenever Twilight would get too bumpy. Twilight failed to realize that she was only reacting to change with more change. She didn’t think about the fact that everything will be different after she stole the Princess of Love's kid, ignored Celestia's letters, and broke down in front of her friends. She changed everything. And for a split second, it did cross her mind. Only for a second. Twilight felt too happy to be hindered by such “unnecessary” thoughts. It was pushed out of her brain, and Twilight felt happy again. How would I say it? Normal.

The weather began to pick up, and Twilight knew she had to find cover. Although Rainbow and the Ponyville Weather Squad could only stay in their respective towns, other weather ponies responsible for this road could see her. And although nobody knew at this moment, she would guess, except her friends, Cadence, her brother, and the Two Princesses, the last thing she would need is for when others do find out, for them to tell her friends she would head to Las Pegasus. Sure, she saw other ponies in the road as she continued in its path, of course, she did. But her “rescue squad” would be less likely to ask random passerby’s than weather team members. Twilight ran this through her head quickly and decided to sit down near a collective of trees in the distance, which would provide her and Flurry with some cover from the circling pegasi. Her moment of clear thought was broken when she wondered if she could eat the leaves of the trees, despite having plenty of food for both her and Flurryheart in her nap sack.

“We’re going to rest soon Flurry! You like the sound of that?” Flurry gave no response, believing she was resting the whole time on Twilights back. 20 minutes later, and the pair was in the small forest off to the left of the main road. Twilight focused and laid a spell down on the grass to make it nice and comfortable. Twilight began magically levitating her food supplies out of her nap sack, including a couple of boxes of apple juice (bringing a tinge of homesickness to Twilight), hay sticks, bread, apples, corn, and other foods.

The rain began to come down steadily, and Twilight covered herself with leaves, the dirt being washed off by the rain. Flurry rested next to Twilight, in the dirt. Mud began to form, and the two ponies began to become filthy, with the makeshift cover leaking. Flurry was passed out, perhaps her alicorn genes causing her to be extremely sleepy, as she went through the torture of the wet rain and mud clinging to her. Even with this, Twilight still casted a spell of warmth on Flurry, and, if possible, the foal fell into a deeper sleep.

Twilight felt something unique. As she lay, being soaked by the rain and mud, she felt happiness and fulfillment. Yes. She felt expressive. She was herself. She was Twilight Sparkle, not Princess Twilight. No, she was herself, and nothing was keeping it back. Two sides of the same coin merged to be one, being expressed, not hidden. These emotions flooded through Twilight's body. Something was different. She was full.

Twilight began to smile. She felt at ease, and she began to drift into a sleep, oblivious to what was going on around her. Everything was silent except for the pattering of the rain and the gentle snore of the broken purple pony.