• Published 10th Dec 2020
  • 819 Views, 11 Comments

I Couldn't Become Nightmare Moon, So I Got A New Job! - Ultimus Pendragon



When the only thing you've only wanted is taken away from you, what do you do? Go into the workforce.

  • ...
2
 11
 819

Supply And Demand!

Author's Note:

Welcome back. Here with go with the life of Luna in the world of sales.

''Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship.''

-Benjamin Franklin.

Luna and Spike sat in the office with Moon Dancer and Pinkie Pie as they went over the day's agenda. After the. . .events of yesterday, there had to be some kind of new policy put in place to accommodate for the ex-princess and her less than stellar customer-service attitude. Luckily, everything was able to fixed before business started for the next day.

''So, is anypony confused on what our new rules are?'' Moon Dancer asked, throwing a look of irritation to the newest member of the team who merely munched away at her bag of salt and vinegar chips. ''Luna.''

''I still will not apologize for what I knew to be right.''

Moondancer narrowed her eyes and sighed. ''You're lucky she didn't want to take legal action.''

''I would do it again,'' Luna commented, popping another chip into her mouth. ''Where will you have me today?''

That was a good question. Since yesterday, the only thing that was Moon Dancer's concern was the integrity of the store merch. And thanks to Spike's help, or the lack thereof, Luna would need some extra training to make sure the issues that could resurface would not.

''I. . .will probably have you just working on the afternoon shift with Spike; that often is when things tend to slow down, and I can just have Pinkie Pie and Steady Beat when he comes in on the morning shift,'' Moon Dancer decided, going over the adjust the roster for the week to account for the change she had set forward. ''Your days will be posted in a few minutes after the meeting is over, so you can go and check.'' Moon Dancer looked confused as Luna raised her hoof to ask a question.

''When will I be getting paid?''

Was she serious? That should be the least of her worries as far as she could tell.

''Luna, I know you may have been on the moon for millennia, but there are a few things to know with the modern times, such as working a week in the hole,'' Spike said, beginning to say what his boss was about to.

Luna visibly looked confused, searching around the store before speaking. ''We are to work in a hole for 7 days? I was not told about this.''

Pinkie Pie snorted and laid a hoof on Luna's shoulder, the Alicorn sneering at her laughter. ''What is so funny?''

''Silly Luna, there's no hole working here. You just have to wait a week before you get paid, is all.''

''A week!?'' Luna asked, looking even more confused and worried. Suddenly her chips didn't taste as good.

''Well, really it's more than two weeks before you actually get a decent payday,'' Spike said, throwing the Alicorn for a loop. ''It depends on whether you get paid every week or every other week. You'll just have to scrounge around until you get consistent income.'' the group observed Luna muttering to herself as she put the bag down and used a wooden washpin to keep the bag closed. ''What are you doing that for?''

''I need to conserve my snacks until I am paid.''


''So, what do you make of Luna so far?'' Moon Dancer peeked from in her office with Pinkie Pie.

''So far, so good!'' Pinkie spun around in her swivel chair, she was on break for the next half hour, so she would probably still help around the store when she felt it needed. She then looked at her boss in mild curiosity. ''Do you really need to have that out and ready? I don't think Luna's going to do anything that bad today.''

Moon Dancer looked down to the fire extinguisher on the floor underneath her legs as she gestured to it and then to the door leading to the sales floor. ''Just a little piece of extra insurance. I already lectured and made sure that they both know about what Luna needs to be familiar with and have down pact by the end of the week, or I'm docking her pay.''

Pinkie's mouth straightened to a flat glare at her boss. ''She doesn't get paid for two weeks, though.''

''My point exactly.'' Moon Dancer responded, then she noticed something out of the corner of her eye. ''Do me a favor and go stand by the Stocking room.''

''What for?'' Pinkie asked, slowly walking to the door as she looked to Moon Dancer thinking about something before thrusting forward a hoof and telling her employee to just keep an eye out. ''Ok, if you say so.''

When she left, Moon Dancer was only left to say one thing after she noticed the thing that got her attention. ''Let's see how she does. . .''


''T-Thank you again and have a good day, c-courtesy of Menagerie!'' Luna waved off a customer after purchasing some candle holders that were sure to accent the look of their bathroom once everything was set how they wanted it. After taking more of Spike's advice, and more at the behest of Moon Dancer making her focus, she made a small bit of progress from what she was told.

And it was only her second day, so she figured there could be a bit of wiggle room to have an error or two present.

But, with this job certainly came more restrictions than she was used to whenever she chose to remember what things were done by her ex-subjects, now fellow ponies when it came to the workforce. ''Was that good, Spike?''

The drake clapped his claws together and smiled a smile that Luna did not think could get any wider. She assumed that was good. ''Yea, I mean you stuttered here and there, but I guess that would still be happening with your second day, and having to adjust to more modern speech and customs. But better; every day should be some improvement,'' Spike hopped from his chair and walked around to the front of the store where he began to do some light sweeping.

''When do you think I can approach the point of being to your caliber?'' Luna asked, Spike, shrugging at the question. ''What does that shrug mean?''

''Just that. I don't know how long it can take for you to be where I am. Plus I don't think you even want to do that; I'm nowhere near perfect. It took years for me to get to where I am, and even longer to realize that I had the potential to be at this point.'' Spike's words struck a chord within Luna.

Potential?

Did she have the potential to. . .acclimate truly? Celestia always kept telling her not to fret over the small details and to look forward to the future. Something she still did not understand fully was her sister's forgiving nature over everything she tried to do, everypony she tried to hurt. . .and the pony she tried to become in the process.

No matter. . .she could worry later about that. She was pretty much on her own in this scenario, and it's up to her to make things better for her.

''Hey, Luna,'' Spike called out to her as he stopped his sweeping for a moment. ''Can you get rid of the trash?'' Spike pointed to a trash bin by the side of the desk, beginning to slowly overfill with trash.

Surely, that is well within the scope of her abilities. Just a little magic to incinerate it, and-

''-Without blowing it up,'' Spike said, looking over to her as the glint in her eyes dropped. ''Moon Dancer said you might have tried to do something like that. So actually take it out to the back and make sure-''

Curses. This job really did have restrictions.

''-Very well, I shall be back in a few minutes,'' Luna cut off the drake, walking to the back of the store, passing by Pinkie Pie as she pushed open a door and began to breathe in the slightly cold air of Canterlot's back alleys. The slightly grey clouds let little sunlight come through, but she was not worried in the slightest as she spied a dumpster down the cobblestone street.

And close by Death Hall, no less.

The dark blue and grey gothic style building moldings and braisers outside certainly appeared to fit the bill. And she wondered why she failed to go here instead.

Moon Dancer did want to pay back what Luna did for her, which was not much, in her opinion. But regardless, she was happy to be of assistance.

''I suppose this job will not be as difficult,'' Luna went to reach for the door to pull it open.

Only it didn't.

Pulling on the door, it failed to budge even an inch. A small knocking sound could be heard as she attempted to pull multiple times.

''You were right, Moon Dancer, Luna wasn't paying attention and locked herself outside!~'' Luna heard Pinkie Pie's voice as she blushed and kicked a small rock.

This job would surely be her undoing.