• Published 10th Dec 2020
  • 818 Views, 11 Comments

I Couldn't Become Nightmare Moon, So I Got A New Job! - Ultimus Pendragon



When the only thing you've only wanted is taken away from you, what do you do? Go into the workforce.

  • ...
2
 11
 818

Mis-Take

Author's Note:

Welcome back all, we come again to our favorite site with all of these interesting stories. And I hope that you enjoy.

We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge.

-John Naisbitt.

Luna and Pinkie Pie just finished helping Spike clean the front of the store when the small amount of downtime was given after lunch. Moondancer always did want a clean store whenever possible to help facilitate team cooperation.

Plus the understanding of being clean was a literal law that could not be ignored for vendors and shop owners.

''Well, that was pretty easy; so what else needs to be done before I can take my break?'' Luna asked as Spike sat on his stool as he finished counting the register before Steady Beat would be ready to take over so the drake could take his lunch break. ''I do enjoy the nice, and soothing sounds of the nearby park accompanied by the quaint, but mellow-'' Moondancer interrupted her.

''-What you're going to do is give Pinkie and Spike their breaks first; it's not that busy today, and you really can deal with the rush for a minute, it won't be that bad with you and Steady.'' Moondancer said as she gave her newest employee a tap on the shoulder with a dash of 'assurance' that it would be in her best interest to stay behind for the sake of the company rather than enjoy her time of quiet.

Luna's face nearly contorted in a way to disagree before the thought of her earlier conversation with her boss came to her mind, making her present idea of saying something to combat against her seem all the more. . .not good. As Pinkie and Spike took off for their breaks, Moondancer walked over to Luna, looking at her employee with a belayed look of surprise as Luna. . .began to execute without much of a fight. Could it have worked?

''Are you okay, Luna? Usually I would be butting heads with you for a minute or two at least. or did you figure it out how things were really supposed to go?'' Moondancer quirked a brow in a challenging nature.

''Oh, but of course; anything to get the job done, after all.'' Luna said, her tone sounding actually very cheerful to be dealing with customers to the degree the rest of her workers had.

Curious.

''Oh, really? Then I guess you wouldn't mind staying after since Spike told me that he'll need to leave early.'' Moondancer said, wanting to confirm something.

''But, of course. I do hope everything is alright; I would ask, but it would not be my place,'' Luna responded, humming a sweet tune to herself after helping direct a customer to the kitchen section. Steady Beat took a quick break to the bathroom, so Moondancer had some comfort knowing too many wouldn't have to go through this exchange.

''It was last minute too, you know,'' Moondancer's tone of voice had an air of nonchalance as Luna nodded along in a robotic nature. ''A visit from the doctor, and he may have to go in for an operation any day now.''

''Well, your health is more important than work, so being understanding in that regard is important.'' Luna said, Moondancer walking closer to her employee, noticing that her tone remained unchanging.

''Spike may lose his foot.'' Moondancer wanted to see how far down the rabbit hole Luna would go cover up. . .whatever was going on in her personal life.

''Well, he would still have one either way.'' Moondancer growled, slamming a hoof on the table as a customer set down a flower pot, causing it to tip over and fall to the ground, shattering into piece as the pony in question frowned, wanting to speak as Moondancer looked at her with raised eyebrows, causing her to back away.

''Luna. . .are you doing okay?'' Moondancer questioned, looking at the almost serene look of peace that Luna had, only contrasted by the tense body language she had. ''You know you can talk-''

''-Oh, no, no. Nothing is wrong, Moondancer. I merely see why you were simply pushing for fluidity in the business that you have worked so hard to build, so the least I could do is work to the standard that you put forward,'' Luna's eyes closed for a moment, her next choice of words surprising the unicorn. ''And work is a good thing. It allows you to live, to pay for things that you want, and too not end up being homeless, or staring down the proverbial barrel of an eviction order.''

''Wait, what was that last part; you kinda spoke it too fast.'' Moondancer said, shaking her head and flopping her ears to make sure she heard what she thought she did. From time to time, Luna would often say things that would get by the unicorn if she wasn't being as observant as she should have been.

''You heard what I said.''

''Luna!'' Moondancer shouted, mugging her worker as she groaned, throwing her head back before laying it on the counter, huffing a small breath out.

''What? I have done nothing wrong, at all!'' Luna argued, seemingly to trying to argue against what her boss tried to tell her, but to no avail. ''May have been a missed payment, and or noise complaint one too many where I came face to face with the Canterlot Housing Authority, but that's-''

''-Irresponible; Luna, you're older than a lot of ponies, only one-upped by Celestia, but you act like a 6-year old, and you think you can really justify your lack of coming into work when you know you can't to afford to?''

The lack of silence followed only by a well-timed cricket chirp did little bolster Luna's case.

''We all make mistakes.'' Luna said, nervously chuckling. Moondancer was unimpressed.

Moondancer shook her head as she walked away from her employee, wanting a good cup of apple cider to help her troubles. ''Not when said mistake can be the difference between living somewhere or out in the street in a cardboard box.''

''It could be worse, Moondancer!'' Luna shouted as the door to her office closed with her magic. ''Discord could work here!''