• Published 3rd Feb 2021
  • 1,662 Views, 8 Comments

Faded Memory: The Rise and Fall of Sombra - Speedy Quill



When their closest friend is tormented by the memories of Sombra, Celestia and Luna must relive the events that led to the fall of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
0
 8
 1,662

Trudging Up The Past

Shade sat on the edge of the bed, trying to focus on anything besides the pounding in his head.

"It was really sweet of you to come."

Celestia smiled.

"You didn't think we would just ignore this, did you?"

Luna sat down next to Shade.

"And what comes next isn't something you should be alone for."

Shade sighed, looking down at his hooves.

"I really thought it was over. I expelled all that dark magic. And Sombra was defeated."

Luna put a hoof around him and pulled him into a side-hug.

"It's not a matter of magic. You've had a shard of his soul within you ever since you fought him in the mines. Going back to that infernal room awakened what most likely would have remained dormant otherwise."

"So, it's my fault. Thanks."

"You know I don't mean it like that."

Shade glanced at Luna from the corner of his eye.

"So...care to explain yourself?"

Luna slowly turned towards him.

"What do you mean?"

Shade had the slightest glint in his eyes.

"I may have been dreaming, and in pain, but the tension in that throne room-"

Luna's hoof moved on its own and covered her brother's mouth. Celestia raised a brow.

"What exactly happened in that dream?"

Shade glanced at Cadance, who was sitting quietly in the corner, and then back to Luna.

"Is this something you want your niece to hear?"

Luna looked at Cadance thoughtfully.

"I have no objection. Perhaps it's time for her to know more."

Cadance leaned forward.

"What could there possibly be that I don't know by now?"

Celestia sighed.

"Plenty, Cadance. Do you know much about the Empire's history?"

"As much as the average pony. I imagine the three of you could put me to shame though."

Luna nodded.

"You'd be right. Few know anything past a few key events."

Shade's brow furrowed.

"Wait..."

All three princesses turned as Shade spoke.

"I've read every book concerning this kingdom's history. But now...there's something there..."

Luna and Celestia exchanged a look of concern. Shade continued.

"All these memories...so much darkness...death...battles..."

Cadance stood up.

"Battles? As in plural?"

Shade nodded and looked up to Celestia.

"How? How did you keep it from the public? And it went on for so long."

Celestia lowered her gaze, obviously ashamed. Shade turned to Luna.

"And you..."

Luna shook her head.

"Please don't say anything Shade. I don't think I'm ready yet."

Shade slowly closed his mouth and nodded. He turned to Cadance and took a deep breath.

"The Crystal Empire and Equestria were at war with each other. A war that lasted thirteen years."

Cadance covered her mouth in shock.

""How? How could no one know?"

"Because by the end there were barely any of us left."

Shade's head snapped to Celestia. She was shaking visibly.

"So many brave souls died in those dark years..."

Shade shook his head.

"Surely someone remembered."

He looked back to Cadance.

"The Crystal ponies?"

The princess shook her head.

"Nopony remembers anything from Sombra's rule. It's like the curse that took the Empire took their memories as well."

Luna was beginning to cry.

"That's for the best Cadance. Sombra forced everypony to fight through his...devices."

Shade recalled the devices she meant. Helmets that drained ponies of all control and made them Sombra's willing puppets. A piece that had made it all too easy to build a massive army to squash those beneath him.

Shade shook his head. Where had that last part come from? He frowned as he remembered who else was in his head. He whispered under his breath.

"Damn you, Sombra."

Cadance seemed visibly weak.

"Luna...you don't mean that all of our subjects..."

Luna nodded.

"Every pony in the Empire, save a few, was forced to fight...and kill for Sombra."

Cadance collapsed into her seat as the shock sank in. Celestia was tearing up by this point.

"We told our own soldiers to try and free them. No killing. It only led to more loss."

Shade looked between his sisters, both of them breaking down before his eyes. He'd never seen them so distraught. His eyes finally landed on Luna. A question formed on his lips that he already knew the answer to. But it still needed to be said out loud.

"He...wasn't always like this...was he?"

Luna was crying now. She shook her head vigorously.

"No. He was a kind pony once. Full of hope for the Empire and nearly as much love in his heart as Amore herself."

Candance regained some of her composure.

"I find that hard to believe."

The tears continued to roll down Luna's cheeks.

"You only ever knew the Shadow. His ambition took hold and soured him to the world around him."

Shade felt his head throb.

"I...lost...everything."

The princesses looked at Shade in surprise. He continued to speak, the words coming slowly.

"I...wanted...to live...in peace. But...Amore..."

Celestia rushed forward, grabbing hold of Shade.

"What happened to her?"

Luna tried to push Celestia away.

"Don't push him! We're barely hearing him as it is!"

Shade looked up at Celestia, a tear rolling down his cheek.

"Pain...so much...pain!"

Celestia was shaking again.

"What did you do Sombra?"

Shade shook his head.

"It's me again. He doesn't want to say. But...I can see..."

Without warning, Shade slumped over into unconsciousness. Celestia stomped her hoof.

"No! I can't wait like this!"

Luna frowned at her sister.

"You can't just interrogate him like this Tia! Shade and Sombra are barely holding it together! We have to create the proper conditions for the memories to come."

Celestia took a few breaths and nodded. Luna turned to Cadance.

"I think we'll need dinner in here. You're welcome to join us if you'd like."

Cadance smiled and left the room without a word. Luna picked up Shade and laid him in bed.

"I think a calm setting will do best. But for now-"

She lit up her horn and her magic floated down to Shade's head. A small smile formed on the stallion's face and a sigh escaped him. Luna smiled.

"-rest in peace for a short while. We'll speak soon."

She turned her attention to Celestia.

"As for you, do I have your word that you'll be patient?"

"Luna...don't you want to know as well?"

"OF COURSE, I DO!!"

Celestia flinched at Luna's raised voice. Luna sighed and rubbed her temples.

"I'm sorry. Of course, I do. But we're talking about extracting memories. You can't just force them out. If the memories can be given to us willingly, then Shade will recover. These memories need to be brought forward without any more sudden questions. What's more, they need to be channeled into a proper vessel."

Celestia took a deep breath and exhaled.

"Alright. How do we do this then?"

"Dinner. Shade needs to be as relaxed as he can be in his state. A question here and there will bring out memories. Then we just let him talk."

"When you say 'him', do you mean Shade or Sombra?"

Luna shook her head.

"Honestly, I'm not sure if there's much of a difference right now. Shade is fighting to preserve his own identity, but Sombra is desperate to survive as well. Not to mention the Shadow-"

"The Shadow?"

Luna felt herself tearing up.

"Sombra's darker half. The one everypony remembers. It wants freedom but doesn't have the power to break out. So, it's tormenting Shade's mind instead. But if it were to succeed in driving him mad, it would trap itself. Sombra knows this. And when I say Sombra, I mean his true self. He's fighting his own darkness to save himself and Shade at the same time."

Celestia shook her head.

"True self? You can't actually believe there's anything left of him, can you Luna?"

"I know there is Tia. I saw him myself in Shade's dream."

"He became corrupt. His kindness was replaced by anger and greed."

Luna glared up at her sister.

"I think we both know why he became so angry."

Celestia shook her head.

"Don't start this again Luna. This didn't start with me. Amore's death-"

"We don't know what happened to-"

Luna stopped herself and took a deep breath before continuing.

"Not yet at least. But no matter what happened back then, you can't deny your part in all of this."

Celestia slowly nodded as her lip trembled.

"I...I was just..."

Luna pulled her sister into a hug.

"There's no need to dwell on it. I've forgiven you for the past. But Sombra hasn't had that chance. Perhaps in letting him share his memory, he'll find some peace."

"And what if it doesn't work?"

Luna tightened her grip, keeping her sister close. They had to believe they could save Shade. Faith would guide them in this undertaking. They would need it. Faith, patience, and a whole lot of dumb luck. But underneath every other intention Luna had, there was one hope that she'd held onto for centuries...

She wanted to believe that Sombra could be redeemed.