• Published 3rd Feb 2021
  • 1,654 Views, 8 Comments

Faded Memory: The Rise and Fall of Sombra - Speedy Quill



When their closest friend is tormented by the memories of Sombra, Celestia and Luna must relive the events that led to the fall of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
0
 8
 1,654

War And Trials

Sombra looked out over the Empire. His crystals now covered a majority. He could feel the power in the air. So much so, that he could barely stop salivating. He'd even grown fangs as he'd fed off the magic that surrounded him. It brought a smile to his face. The smile vanished as he remembered why he was out here. Word had reached him that Celestia and Luna were on their way. And to make matters more interesting, they seemed to have a battalion of soldiers with them.

He had discovered too late that a few Crystal ponies had run off. Apparently they'd gone to the sisters for aid. And now he faced an invasion. He didn't have time for this! His experiments were his top priority. Even though he'd had dozens of failures, he was still determined.

The king took a deep breath as he tried to remain calm. His eyes fell on the main square in front of him. It was empty. Nopony ever walked around anymore. As ponies had begun to disappear, the rest of the citizens had grown restless. A few had even tried to rebel.

And now the majority of the Empire was in chains. Sombra's needs had only grown more. He needed crystals brought in for testing. He needed subjects to test on. And nopony seemed willing to help. With an enemy approaching, Sombra was faced with another dilemma; how to get these ponies to fight. He knew this would be the biggest problem as soon as he had heard about Equestria's movement.

Luckily, he was more than adept at making ponies follow orders. It was easy enough to keep his guards and staff bewitched by himself, but the scale needed for the entire Empire would require something different. That's when the idea for the armor had come. For the last week, every last pony had been outfitted with their new armor. The last of his soldiers had been created not even an hour ago. He was ready for the coming battle.

As if on cue, a horn sounded in the distance. Sombra lifted his gaze to the horizon and saw a mass rise above it. Celestia's army had arrived. The Equestrian soldiers marched right to the border before stopping. Sombra looked down at them, a frown forming on his face. He didn't see the sisters, but he knew they couldn't be far.

"What have I done to earn such a visit?"

He heard hooves touch down behind him on the balcony. He smiled and turned to his visitors, nodding to each of them.

"Celestia. Luna."

Luna gasped. He could only imagine it was due to his appearance. His smile softened ever so slightly.

"It's good to see you again."

His eyes turned to Celestia.

"Now, care to explain the reason an army is at my doorstep?"

Celestia stood tall as she glared down at Sombra.

"Your rule is over Sombra. The Empire needs to heal."

"Heal? From what? A little redecorating?"

He motioned to the black crystals all around. Celestia didn't break eye contact.

"You've enslaved your own ponies, caused suffering, and have dabbled in dark magic. You will step down and surrender."

Sombra's smile returned, this time with a more sinister tone.

"Oh? I wasn't aware my fate had already been decided."

He glanced at Luna.

"And what is your opinion of all of this?"

Luna's eyes took in their surroundings. When her eyes found Sombra again, they were beginning to tear up.

"This place was once so beautiful..."

Sombra's smile disappeared.

"It...It will be again. I just need more time."

Celestia stomped her hoof.

"You have had more than enough time, Sombra!"

Sombra glared at the alicorn.

"You know nothing! You never approved of me once! I love your sister more than anything in this world. But if you can't accept us Celestia, then you'll have my wrath!"

He stomped his hoof and black crystals began to grow from the floor. Celestia took off into the air, but Luna remained.

"Sombra..."

Sombra looked at her, the hatred still burning in his eyes. She was crying now. He wanted nothing more than to dry her tears.

"I'm...I'm sorry Luna..."

"Please...stop this now."

The black crystals stopped forming as a single tear rolled down Sombra's cheek.

"I can't."

Luna's lip trembled and she took to the sky. Sombra watched her and Celestia fly toward their battalion. He heard Celestia's voice echo over the air as she called to her soldiers.

"Evacuate the Empire! Lead its citizens to safety!"

Sombra's lip curled in a snarl.

"That may be a little difficult Princess."

He lit his horn and opened the barracks on either side of the palace. He looked down with pride as his creations came forth. Every pony wore dark armor with his crest on it. They also each wore a helmet, specially designed to make them more obedient. Sombra's soldiers marched into the street, heading straight for Celestia's army. Sombra watched from his balcony as the two armies grew closer to one another. He smiled as he lit his horn.

"No mercy."

The command was delivered instantly to every armored pony. They began to charge the Equestrians. The battle had begun.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sombra locked himself in the palace after the first few days. He had work to do and couldn't be interrupted by something as trivial as a war. That's what it had escalated to now. Celestia and Luna called a retreat in the first battle. But within a week, more soldiers arrived. This time, the sisters weren't accompanying them. Sombra had been pleased with this. They had too many other matters on their plates to oversee a war constantly.

The fighting had been going on for six months now. The Equestrians had only advanced several feet into the Empire. Sombra's soldiers were too much. They showed no fear, no remorse, and no weakness. They were perfect in every way. He stayed in his hidden laboratory for the most part. He constantly mixed potions, tested crystals, and tweaked spells in his attempts to perfect his formula for ascension.

"Mixture 34 is proving stable. This mixture along with a refined ruby crystal and the Sixth Variation spells will comprise test number 11."

His tests had been unsuccessful in correcting the exterior factors. Every pony had turned into, what he now called, an umbrum. They possessed the immortality, but became these hideous creatures. Almost like shadows. They couldn't stand the light for more than a few seconds, only thriving in the dark.

Part of Sombra felt that he should have ended their suffering, but he wanted to study them more. Not to mention they could be useful if he ever figured out how to make them more compliant. So instead, he'd locked them away in the mines of Everhoof. Nopony ever went in there anymore since he'd shut it down. The mines were his personal vault now. He'd even moved Amore into one of the deepest tunnels in the mountain. It was the only place he felt she'd be safe.

Amore...

Sombra paused for a moment. What would she say? Even when he revived her, what would she think of what he'd done? He shook his head and focused on his work again. There was no time for nonsense. He had to keep going...

-------------------------------------------------------

"Test number 76 yields same results. Will need to begin work on Mixture 36 and the Seventh Variation."

Sombra slammed his journal shut and stunned the hissing umbrum in front of him. It dropped to the floor unconscious, leaving Sombra to steam in his frustration.

"Dammit!!"

His voice echoed around the room. And then it shook. Sombra looked up at the ceiling, his rage still fresh. Something was hitting the palace... He left his lab and made for the main hall as quickly as possible. From there, he went to the balcony. He had to see for himself. Could the Equestrians really have broken through? It was impossible!

Sombra stepped outside, feeling the cold chill of the air for the first time in four years. He looked off to the edge of the Empire and saw the fighting still carrying on. And then he saw a ball of magic flying toward the palace.

Sombra knelt down as the magic connected with the wall to his left, shaking the entire structure. His eyes traced the magic back to a lone figure on the edge of the battle. An old stallion with a white beard.

"So, Celestia brought in her mentor. Couldn't even bother to try herself."

Sombra smirked as he watched Star Swirl prepare another volley. Before old mage could fire though, Sombra lit his horn. A wave of black crystal began growing rapidly towards the old unicorn. Star Swirl had to cut off his spell and jump out of the way. Sombra continued growing wave after wave until Star Swirl finally retreated. Sombra began to laugh as the old fool ran away.

"I won't be so easily defeated."

He looked down at the battle below, taking in the carnage. His soldiers were fighting admirably. And there were more of them than before since Sombra had started taking prisoners. He could only imagine the despair caused when the Equestrians realized they were fighting themselves. With a final grin, Sombra returned to the interior of the palace, sealing the door behind him.

-------------------------------------------------------

Seven years now. Seven. Sombra glared out at the battlefield from his balcony, his annoyance evident. How could Celestia justify this seemingly endless conflict? He had more important things to do.

He saw two bodies rise above the fighting; Celestia and Luna. They seemed to be directing their soldiers. For the briefest moment, Sombra saw Luna beginning to drift away from her sister. She seemed to be moving towards...him! Sombra couldn't deny that he wanted very much to see her. Hope was dashed away as Celestia suddenly turned to Luna. He could hear words on the wind, but not clear enough to make them out. He could see Luna sag a little midair. Obviously Celestia had thwarted her sister's escape.

Sombra growled in frustration and returned to the confines of his palace. Celestia would rue the day she'd decided to challenge him.

-------------------------------------------------------

"Mixture 42 proves to be the closest candidate thus far, but a new crystal must be tested along with a new Variation. Will begin working on the Thirteenth Variation at once."

He set the quill down and rubbed his temples. The war had carried on for what seemed like an eternity. What was it now? Ten? Eleven years? The battling had fallen into a lull. The Equestrians were holding off their attack currently while they waited for another wave of reinforcements. Celestia had proved to be unwillingly to let up on the attack. These brief moments between battles were the only respite that anypony got.

Sombra had had to make sure to take these opportunities to replenish the bodies of his soldiers. Too many had dropped dead due to malnourishment after the first few years. Now he had to deal with that as well as his own work.

And then there were the helmets. It seemed that prolonged exposure had begun to leave ponies rather...unfit was the only word that came to mind. It was as if their minds went rotten. They couldn't speak or eat on their own. Sombra had had to start rotating the Crystal ponies. Some would fight, others would work. And then they'd swap after a year. That method had been working successfully for the last six years.

Sombra continued rubbing his temples, trying to relieve the headache that the last decade had granted him.

"I don't know how much longer I can do this..."

He hated to admit it, but this fight had run him into the ground. He had unlocked immortality, but could only have it if he were willing to become a feral umbrum. And that was the last thing he wanted.

"Mixture 42. Thirteenth Variation. And..."

An idea popped into his head. He couldn't believe he'd never thought to try it. But at the same time...

Sombra lit his horn, summoning a small box from a nearby table. He opened it, revealing the shard of Amore that Luna had broken off all those years ago.

"Infused onyx crystal. These will comprise Test number 189."

-------------------------------------------------------

Sombra sat on his throne, contemplating how close he might be to his breakthrough. For the first time in years, he felt excitement at the possibilities.

"Your Majesty."

Sombra looked down to discover two guards with a mare between them. His eyes darted between all three ponies.

"What is the meaning of this?"

One of the guards stepped forward. His eyes had a greenish hue to them, the sign of Sombra's control.

"We found this pony trying to hide some scrolls away. She evaded us for several minutes before being caught."

Sombra sighed.

"And why should this concern me?"

"The scrolls were stolen from the library. She is a thief."

The king waved his hoof.

"I could care less about a petty criminal. Just put her back where you found her."

The guards nodded and began to take the mare away. But something piqued Sombra's curiosity.

"What did the scrolls contain?"

The guards stopped and turned back to Sombra.

"Enchantments for protection."

Sombra chuckled.

"You want to protect yourself from me? I doubt any enchantment will do the trick."

The mare looked up at him, her face devoid of emotion.

"It wasn't for me."

"Oh? Then who?"

The mare stared at him for several seconds before responding.

"Our history."

Sombra chuckled.

"I see! We have a historian amongst us. What is your name?"

"Emerald Dawn."

"And you wanted to what? Protect our history? Do you think I'm going to burn the library to the ground?"

"I hope you won't. But that's not the history I was talking about."

Sombra was growing tired of the conversation. He stood up and marched down to the mare.

"Speak quickly then, or I will have you thrown back into the war."

"Nopony has been able to keep a history of these dark times."

A small smile grew on Emerald's face.

"Except for me."

Sombra's eyes narrowed.

"Is that supposed to scare me?"

"I doubt anything I do can do that. But rest assured, ponies will see you for what you really are; a monster."

Sombra smirked at her.

"One little history book? That's your weapon against me?"

"It's all anypony will ever need to understand you."

His smirk turned into a snarl.

"Nopony can understand me! There is more at play in this world than you know."

Sombra looked at the guards and nodded. They turned and left without a word, coerced by Sombra's magic. Emerald Dawn looked around in confusion.

"Are you letting me go then?"

Sombra shot his magic at the throne and the stairs to his lab began to appear in the floor.

"On the contrary, my dear. You're going to be number 189."

The mare looked at the stairs, fear growing in her eyes. Sombra took that moment to knock her unconscious. He carried her down the stairs and into his lab, quickly strapping her to the table and preparing. He looked at his notes, double checking his work on the Thirteenth Variation.

"This has to be precise."

He made a small adjustment and looked over the scribblings. He smiled and nodded to himself.

"Yes. That should do it."

"Wha..."

His ears perked up as he heard Emerald coming to. He turned to the table, seeing his latest subject regain consciousness.

"I do apologize for the haste, but I really don't want to wait any longer."

Emerald looked around the room and tried to sit up.

"Wha- What are you doing?"

Sombra found himself more talkative than usual. Perhaps it was because of what the mare had said earlier.

"You are about to be my latest attempt at ascending to unimaginable power."

He turned to her as he mixed potions together.

"Power and immortality."

Emerald shook her head.

"You're insane."

"You ponies keep saying that. How is it that none of you can see?"

"I'm guessing you want a pair of wings too?"

Sombra laughed.

"You're smarter than I thought! No, I don't want to be an alicorn. I want...more."

Emerald looked around the room again, taking in everything.

"189...this is where they've been disappearing."

Sombra nodded.

"Yes. I figured others had noticed by now, but you all wisely kept it to yourselves."

"What did you do with their bodies?"

Sombra turned back to his instruments and vials.

"Who said they were dead?"

He could hear Emerald struggle against the straps. Pointless.

"Don't bother. Nopony has been able to get out."

"Why is power so important to you? You were already our King."

That made Sombra pause. He looked over his shoulder at the mare and sighed.

"It's the only way I'll get her back."

Emerald stopped struggling and looked up at him.

"Who?"

He turned away from her again, unable to meet her gaze.

"Amore."

"But...she died so long ago..."

A flash of smoke signaled the completion of Mixture 42. Sombra turned to Emerald, potion in hoof and shook his head.

"If that turns out to be the truth, then I suppose this really is about power. But...I guess you'll never know."

He forced her mouth open and dumped the potion down her throat. Emreald gagged on the liquid, coughing up a few drops. Sombra summoned Amore's shard and placed it on Emerald's chest.

"This is going to hurt."

He lit his horn and began his incantation. Emerald instantly arched her back as the magic set in. The crystal shard began to glow, growing brighter with each passing second. Emerald's body began to bubble and darken. She was squirming and crying out, but not nearly to the level that the others had. Sombra's eyes glistened at this development as he continued the incantation. Emerald's flesh seemed to dissolve into the familiar black mass of an umbrum. Her skeleton followed quickly. But then...

Sombra watched as the crystal hovered above the mass. It seemed to be emitting its own energy now. The spells were working! A layer of magic draped over the mass and it began to squirm violently. After a few seconds, smoke began to rise from it. Sombra hadn't seen this happen before. His curiosity threatened to break his concentration as he watched the mass evaporate before his eyes, transforming into a black cloud surrounding the crystal.

And then there was a brilliant flash of light. Sombra shielded his eyes and stopped chanting. As the light died down, he heard the crystal drop to the table. He uncovered his face and looked at his work. The crystal was alone. Where was the-

His eyes found the darkest corner of the room. The black cloud of mist was there, beginning to take shape. It had a similar texture to the umbrum, like water being poured into a glass. The mist solidified further, its shape becoming recognizable.

"Dammit!"

Sombra stomped his hooves as an umbrum stood before him.

"I was so close! Why didn't it-"

He froze as the umbrum opened its eyes. They weren't grey and lifeless, but a brilliant green. And they were staring at him. And then a voice spoke.

"Wh-what happened?"

Sombra came around the table, inching closer to his latest creation.

"Emerald?"

The black skin of the umbrum seemed to solidify and transform further. Within a few seconds, Emerald Dawn was standing in front of Sombra. She looked down at herself, confused.

"I...I feel...different. But I...I look the same..."

She looked up at Sombra.

"What did you do?"

Sombra smiled.

"I've succeeded."