• Published 3rd Feb 2021
  • 1,652 Views, 8 Comments

Faded Memory: The Rise and Fall of Sombra - Speedy Quill



When their closest friend is tormented by the memories of Sombra, Celestia and Luna must relive the events that led to the fall of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
0
 8
 1,652

The First Memory

Shade felt himself wake up to the smell of food. Several delicious aromas wafted into his nostrils, enticing him to open his eyes. The scene in front of him brought back fond memories; Celestia and Luna were sitting at a table with a full dinner spread between them. His mind drifted between memories, all filled with humor and love.

Suddenly, another memory came to the front of his mind. It was another dinner. But...something was different. All he could see was Luna across from him. Her hair was shorter. Her smile cut him to the core. He could feel the tension in the air as if it were tangible... Shade shook his head and whispered under his breath.

"Stop doing that."

Your memories trigger my own. I can't help that we both have a deep connection with Her.

Shade almost answered but realized that the princesses would hear him. He rolled his eyes and stood up.

"What's for dinner?"

Celestia turned and smiled.

"Take your pick! Cadance made sure there would be a great variety."

Shade approached and sat down at the table. His eyes ogled the various dishes in front of him, unsure where to start. He began stacking food onto his plate without much thought. The three of them ate in silence for several minutes. Shade caught his sisters throwing glances at each other. He knew they were trying to tread carefully.

They don't want to cause you any pain. They're very thoughtful.

Ever since I met them, they've wanted what's best for me.

I can see that. I think I'm most surprised by how much Luna has opened up.

I don't know how I feel about you sifting through my memories.

You've been doing the same. Inadvertently, of course.

Now we just need to sort them out.

You're willing to work together on this? I'm shocked.

I should feel repulsed at having you in my head, but I can tell you're not the same Sombra I've met. And if Luna is willing to give you a chance, then I'll trust her judgement.

Thank you-

"Shade?"

Shade jumped in surprise. He looked between Celestia and Luna and realized he must have missed something.

"Sorry...what was that?"

Luna nodded to the center of the table. Shade's eyes followed and landed on a crystal.

"Oh! Yes, it's a lovely centerpiece."

Celestia covered her mouth, attempting to hold back her laughter.

"Shade...it's not...Luna, I told you he wasn't listening."

Luna began to chuckle.

"Just like old times."

Shade smiled, happy to be amongst his family. He doubted this would have been an easy process if not for them. Celestia motioned to the crystal.

"This crystal has been prepared to receive Sombra's memories. When this is finished, whatever is left of his soul will reside here rather than in you."

Shade nodded.

"Somewhat similar magic to when he tried to escape in Everhoof."

Images of the vast caverns of Everhoof raced through his mind. Some of them were from his own memory, but a lot of them seemed to be Sombra. Imbuing every crystal with his magic, setting up defense spells to keep out unwanted intruders, Even preparing a crystal that could hold his spirit if the impossible should happen.

Shade shook his head to clear it.

"It's pretty mixed up in here."

Then let's begin.

"How do we start?"

Celestia and Luna looked at each other for a moment before Luna began to answer.

"Well-"

Shade held up a hoof.

"Sorry. I wasn't talking to you."

Luna's mouth hung open in shock.

"Are you...talking to him?"

Shade nodded as Sombra laid out the concept.

"Okay. Let's give it a try."

Shade closed his eyes and concentrated. He let a stream of magic flow from his horn to the crystal in front of him. The crystal began to glow immediately. Luna stared into its light with curiosity.

"What now?"

"Now we can speak."

Luna turned to her brother in shock.

"Sombra?"

Shade's face showed no change. His eyes were closed, and his expression was relaxed. But when his mouth opened, it wasn't his voice.

"Hello again Luna."

Celestia leaned forward.

"It's really you..."

"Hello Celestia. It's been a while."

Luna began to tear up.

"I never thought we'd ever get to speak again."

"Never say never, my love. Death isn't absolute."

Celestia looked between "Sombra" and Luna.

"You can't be serious? After all this time?"

A faint smile appeared on the stallion's face. When he spoke, his voice was much clearer.

"Always."

Luna was crying now.

"I never stopped. I knew you were still in there, deep down."

"I wish I could have come back to you Luna. But fate had other plans."

Celestia sat back and sighed.

"I suppose you'll want my apology."

"Perhaps you should hear my story before either of us passes judgement on the other."

Celestia thought for a moment before nodding. Luna reached out and touched his hoof.

"Tell me everything. I want to know what happened."

"I can do better than tell."

The crystal changed color, turning from a brilliant blue to a crimson red. The surface shimmered, becoming like the surface of a mirror.

Celestia and Luna leaned forward as an image began to materialize...

--------------------------------------------------

"Why must I go to this?"

"Because it is our duty to oversee it."

"But Mother-"

"Sombra. You're going."

Sombra sighed as he looked at his reflection in the mirror. His cape draped over his body in a regal manner. He had to admit he looked rather...dashing. But he still paled next to his mother. Amore stepped up next to him, adjusting her crown ever so slightly.

"It's important to make appearances and show everypony how much we care about them. Do you want them to think you're just some uptight prince?"

Sombra frowned and mumbled 'No'. Amore smiled.

"Of course not! Besides, it's not every day that we open a library!"

"A place to put our books. How exciting."

Amore gave her son a shove with her flank, pushing him off to the side of the mirror.

"I swear, ever since you became a teenager, you get moodier every day. I half expect you to give birth with how moody you are some days!"

"Mom!"

Amore shot him a smirk.

"Are you going to keep being moody?"

Sombra sighed and shook his head.

"I'll stop. It's just...I had plans today."

Amore stopped adjusting and turned to him.

"Oh? With whom?"

"Nopony. Just myself."

Amore stared at him for several seconds before continuing.

"You know...There's going to be an awful lot of books in that library. A great deal of them have been donated from other kingdoms. There may be something there concerning the Northern Reaches."

Sombra's ears perked up.

"Wh-why would I be interested in that?"

Amore sighed and stepped away from the mirror.

"You know you don't have to hide your little project from me. I'm your mother."

Sombra began shifting his hooves.

"I...I know. But...I just want to know...where I came from."

"Well, when a mare and a stallion love each other very much-"

"I'm being serious!!"

Amore smiled as she watched her son get frustrated. She approached him and gave him a hug.

"I know you want to know more. I wish I could tell you. But until your birthmother appeared, we had no idea anypony lived beyond the mountains. Believe me if I knew anything, I would tell you."

Sombra returned the hug.

"I know. It would just be nice to know. I'm not like everypony else. I don't turn to Crystal during the Faire like all of you. And I know I'm not from Equestria. My body is built for a harsher climate. Equestrians just look...small and weak in comparison."

Amore pulled back and arched her brow.

"You're calling our allies weak?"

"No! It's just...I don't really belong anywhere."

Amore pulled him back in for a second hug.

"You belong right here. You always have since the day you were born."

Sombra wrapped his hooves around his mother, burying his face in her shoulder.

--------------------------------------------------

The image faded. Luna turned to see Shade blinking his eyes open as if he’d been asleep.

"I'm sorry. He seems to need rest. I think he wasn't prepared for the feelings that would resurface."

Celestia leaned forward.

"You mean...he's sad?"

Shade nodded.

"He loved Amore more than anypony. I can't see everything yet, but I can tell there's heartbreak around her disappearance."

Luna nodded.

"I always felt like I was competing with her in a way. She was so protective of him."

Shade smiled.

"As a mother should be. Not all of us are so lucky."

Celestia stood up and stretched her legs.

"So, when do we continue?"

Shade became pensive for several seconds.

"Sombra says he just needs a few minutes. He wants to keep going."

Luna picked up a pastry and took a bite.

"Well...this is going to be a long night. Should we order a second dinner?"

Shade smiled at her. But her joke didn't hide her true feelings very well. He could see it in her eyes. This was going to be tough for all of them. But Luna? The few memories he'd seen confirmed that she was in for a world of hurt going down memory lane.

I wish I could comfort her more.

I'll do what I can in your place.

Thank you.

Can I ask you something?

It depends on the question.

Why are you hiding Amore's fate from me?

There was no answer. Shade tried to glean anything he could, but Sombra seemed intent on keeping at least one secret for now. All Shade could find was pain. Pain brought on by loss, sorrow, and a self-hatred unlike anything he'd thought possible.