• Published 3rd Feb 2021
  • 1,652 Views, 8 Comments

Faded Memory: The Rise and Fall of Sombra - Speedy Quill



When their closest friend is tormented by the memories of Sombra, Celestia and Luna must relive the events that led to the fall of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
0
 8
 1,652

The Shadow Awakens

Celestia felt her heart pounding in her chest as she flew. The words of Cadance's letter replayed in her mind on repeat.

Shade was in trouble.

"Tia! Wait up!"

Celestia glanced behind her, discovering that Luna was falling behind. She slowed down and fell back to Luna's position.

"How are you not flying faster? I thought you would be determined to get to the Empire as fast as possible."

Luna took a deep breath.

"Don't take my pacing as a sign of indifference! I'm just as concerned for Shade as you are! But I can't keep up this speed any longer. We're not as young as we once were you know."

As Luna's words sunk in, Celestia began to feel the ache in her own wings. Her sister was right. Ever since they'd given up their immortality, they'd been aging like any other creature. They were in their fifties now. Even if she felt young, her body spoke to the contrary.

"I'm sorry Luna. I'm just worried. Shade having another incident in the Crystal Empire is just so..."

"Scary?"

Celestia nodded.

"Yes. And the fact that Cadance wouldn't disclose anything in her letter concerns me."

Luna nodded in agreement.

"Obviously whatever happened isn't meant to go beyond the family."

Luna began to beat her wings faster.

"Shall we pick up the pace? I believe I've gotten my second wind."

Celestia smiled as they began to fly faster, this time keeping pace with her sister.

-----------------------------------------------

It didn't take the sisters long to reach the Empire. They landed at the top of the palace stairs, where Shining Armor was waiting.

"It's good to see you both. Follow me."

Even though her body ached, Celestia felt the itch to run through the hallways until she found her adopted brother. A glance from Luna told her she felt the same. They contained their impulses though and followed Shining Armor. After a few corridors, he stopped at a door and motioned in.

"Cadance hasn't left his side since we found him."

Luna's eyes grew big with concern.

"Found him? Where?"

A voice from within the room answered.

"In the street."

The sisters looked through the doorway and spotted their niece, Cadance. They entered the room as the Crystal princess continued.

"He was spouting off disjointed phrases. It was like he couldn't form a sentence."

Celestia looked past Cadance to a bed against the wall. Shade was tucked under the sheets, unconscious.

"Did he say anything of value?"

Cadance nodded.

"Only one thing. It's why I summoned you."

The sisters locked eyes on the mare, waiting for her to continue. Cadance seemed hesitant for a moment.

"He said...and I quote...If you can't accept us Celestia, then you will have my wrath."

Luna's hoof flew up to her mouth as she gasped. Celestia felt her knees grow weak. It took her several seconds to say anything.

"How? How could he possibly..."

Luna was beginning to cry.

"Please...Not again..."

Cadance looked from one aunt to the other.

"What is he talking about?"

Celestia took a deep breath and sat up straight.

"What was he doing before you found him?"

Shining Armor moved in next to his wife, facing the princesses.

"He was at the library, compiling histories. He's been doing it for two weeks now. But...he apparently went missing for an hour today."

Luna wiped away her tears.

"Missing?"

Cadance looked down at the floor.

"It didn't take much to figure out he had...gone back."

Celestia felt a small tremor pass through her.

"You don't mean he..."

Cadance nodded. Luna tried to control her breathing.

"I thought...he destroyed the books. Why...Why would he..."

Shining Armor chimed in.

"I went down there myself after he was found. There was next to nothing in there. At least...that I could see."

Celestia nodded.

"And...that you couldn't?"

"I...I can't fully describe it. The room just felt...unnatural. I sealed the doorway and the staircase leading to it. No one is ever going near that place again."

Luna nodded her approval.

"Good. But that still doesn't explain what's happened to Shade."

She moved around everypony and sat down next to the bed.

"I'm going to try and talk to him."

Celestia approached the bed.

"Do you think it's safe?"

Luna nodded.

"I can already feel that his mind is restless. But it's not outside my control. Not yet at least."

Luna closed her eyes in concentration, allowing her consciousness to reach out to Shade. She felt a little resistance to the probing, but after a moment, she made the connection.

-----------------------------------------------

Luna opened her eyes, finding herself in the throne room of the Crystal palace.

"Shade?"

"Luna?"

She turned around to find the charcoal pony curled up on the floor. He slowly raised his head.

"Is this a dream?"

Luna smiled.

"Now you know better than to ask me that."

Shade's eyes began to come alive with light.

"Luna!!"

He jumped up, pulling her into an embrace.

"Thank the Moon you're here!"

"Thank Cadance. She sent for us."

Luna broke the embrace and looked her brother over.

"Are you hurt? What happened?"

The light in Shade's eyes began to fade.

"I...I was having trouble remembering..."

"Remembering what?"

"The books. I've compiled everything up to the disappearance of Amore. But then..."

Luna nodded.

"That's when Sombra's rule began."

Shade nodded.

"It felt like there was a fog over those memories. So, I...I decided to go to the room. I thought it would jog my memory."

Luna's hoof connected with his jaw before she knew what she was doing.

"You idiot! Why would you go back in that cursed place?!"

"I...I'm sorry...I didn't know what else to do..."

Luna took a deep breath and sighed.

"Did it help at all?"

Shade began to shake.

"It did more than that. Something...reawakened."

Luna could feel her heart racing.

"What Shade?"

"Whatever is left of Sombra's soul. The part within me."

Luna felt a slight tingle down her spine.

"Is he trying to control you?"

Shade shook his head.

"No. It's like...he's conflicted. But I know part of him wants me to remember..."

"Remember what?"

Shade motioned to the throne.

"Him."

Luna turned her eyes to the throne. Her breath caught in her throat as she laid her eyes on the tall, dark stallion before her. As his gaze turned to her, a flicker of surprise passed through his flaming green eyes. The flames died away and revealed his actual eyes. Those piercing crimson eyes.

The stallion seemed to shrink slightly as his demeanor shifted. The smoke-like mane and fangs slowly morphed into normal features. Before long, the Shadow was no longer present. The stallion looked at his body for a moment before finding Luna again, his eyes filled with shock.

Luna felt the tears flowing from her eyes, unable to stop them.

"Sombra..."

A single tear fell from Sombra's eye.

"Luna..."

Before Luna could react, Shade doubled over, letting out a grunt of pain. The throne room shook as black crystals sprouted from the floor. Luna looked back to the throne, but it was too late. Sombra had been reverted to his other form. The Shadow glared menacingly at the two ponies before him.

"Tell me princess, what are you willing to do?"

Luna stepped in front of Shade and stood tall.

"You will not break him. I will fight you myself if I must."

The Shadow smiled.

"Why would we fight? Surely you haven't forgotten?"

Luna stood her ground as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"I've never forgotten. Not for one moment of my life."

The Shadow seemed to shudder for a second. The voice that came through was a mixture of both the Shadow and Sombra.

"Help your friend remember."

Luna looked at Shade, still writhing on the floor.

"Why are you doing this to him?"

The Shadow seemed to gain control again, descended from the throne, and approached her.

"Because I want all to suffer the way I did."

Luna felt her fear melt away, replace by swift anger.

"Do you really think that I haven't?!"

She felt her body morph on its own, leaving the Shadow in shock as he was introduced to the Nightmare herself.

"Look what I became because of you! Look what I did to myself!!"

The throne room shook again, and the black crystals melted away. The Shadow shook its head as it morphed yet again, shrinking into Sombra once more.

Luna quickly extinguished her alter ego and picked Shade up from the floor.

"We're leaving. Shade has to wake up."

Sombra nodded.

"I have no quarrel with that Luna. But the memories are coming back whether he wants them or not. He woke my other half up when he entered that room. But I can try to keep him at bay."

Luna stared at the stallion, his eyes filled with sorrow and longing.

"It really is you, isn't it?"

He nodded.

"I was never truly gone Luna. Just...hidden away."

He looked around the throne room.

"It's all coming back now. Shade can't keep it inside much longer."

Luna's eyes grew with concern.

"What do you mean?"

Sombra's eyes grew sad.

"Shade has to relive my life. Both the good and the bad. If he doesn't, his mind will get torn apart. Two sets of memories can't coexist for long. He'll lose himself."

Luna looked down at Shade, wishing any other ailment could have befallen him. Slowly, she looked back at Sombra.

"I will help you tell your story. But we'll need some time."

Sombra nodded.

"Time is short, but I will bend to your will. Just...don't take too long?"

Luna smiled.

"I'll do my best...my love."