• Published 3rd Feb 2021
  • 1,651 Views, 8 Comments

Faded Memory: The Rise and Fall of Sombra - Speedy Quill



When their closest friend is tormented by the memories of Sombra, Celestia and Luna must relive the events that led to the fall of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
0
 8
 1,651

The Shadow Is Born

Sombra led Emerald through the darkness. It had taken him no time to spirit her away from the palace once he was certain of his success. Even though he was leaving his kingdom during a war, he knew that his army would be more than enough to keep anypony from realizing he was gone. And now he and his test subject were descending into the Everhoof mines.

He knew the path well from bringing his failed experiments down here. But he was here on another matter entirely now. He had brought Emerald along to ensure she didn't run off, but also with another purpose in mind. Now she was walking in front of him as they continued through the tunnels.

"Why are we here? I thought the mines were too dangerous."

"That's what I told everypony."

Emerald looked around at the crystals sticking out from the rock all around her.

"These crystals...they're not...normal."

"An astute observation."

"What did you do to them?"

Sombra frowned.

"Nothing that concerns you."

He nodded to a tunnel on the right.

"Turn here."

Emerald followed his direction and they began going down a sloping path.

"How deep are we?"

That actually made Sombra think.

"Well...I'd have to say we're below the base of the mountain by this point."

"You're not sure?"

Sombra actually shrugged.

"I was just trying to find the deepest point. I was never entirely sure how deep that actually was."

"What's the point of coming down here?"

Sombra paused as he recognized where they were.

"Your existence is due to a very special crystal. And now I need one more piece."

They turned the last corner and a figure came into view. Emerald gasped as she looked up at the crystal statue that had once been Amore. Sombra could see tears in her eyes.

""What...what did you do to her?!"

Sombra approached his mother and sat down.

"It was an accident. A moment of anger that I have been trying to undo for years."

Emerald looked at him in shock.

"Do you mean...everything that's happened has been..."

She trailed off as Sombra nodded.

"I need her back."

His expression darkened.

"But I also need everypony to know that I'm not a normal pony. Too long has Celestia looked down on me as inferior."

"You don't really believe that, do you?"

He glared at Emerald.

"You have no idea of her true nature. Despite her sunny appearance, there is malice underneath."

He stood back up and approached Emerald.

"That's why I have to have more..."

"More what?"

"Time, power...everything."

He walked behind Emerald and gave her a shove toward Amore.

"And you're going to help me."

Before Emerald could say anything, Sombra began chanting. The air grew thick with magic as Sombra found a connection to the ethereal plane. But instead of allowing the plane to use his own energy, he redirected its hunger toward Emerald.

The mare gasped as she felt the connection, draining her reserve of magic.

"What's...happening..."

Sombra launched another spell at Emerald, using her as a conduit to increase the magic he'd released. A bolt of energy shot from Emerald to Amore, connecting the two through a visible tendril of light. Emerald keeled over in pain, beginning to squirm on the ground. Sombra continued the spell feeling the plane beginning to latch on to him. He pulled magic from the crystals around him in a last ditch effort, maintaining the connection for a few seconds longer.

"Come on!"

He felt the connection waver. The crystals immediately around him had returned to their normal hues. He didn't dare pull from the mines anymore. He couldn't risk losing his stockpile. Perhaps...

Sombra reached out with his magic, stretching his senses to the limit as he felt for the crystals he'd cultivated in the Empire. After several seconds, he found them. And just in time! He could feel his own reserve beginning to deplete. He drew on the magic from the Empire and felt a rush of new energy. The connection solidified again, and he increased the spell.

"I...must...succeed..."

He held the connection for nearly a minute. And then he felt the last of the Empire's magic trickle through him. He severed the connection before his own magic could be drawn on again. The break caused a shockwave, shaking the tunnel and knocking Sombra to his knees. He took deep breaths as he tried to regain some strength. He'd held out longer than Luna had all those years ago, but Amore was still frozen in place. A sigh escaped him.

"What will it take, Mother?"

He stared up at her for several seconds. And then a small shard fell from her face. Sombra got to his feet, stumbling forward. He picked up the shard and smiled. His smile slowly vanished as he stared at the crystal.

It was tear-shaped...

Sombra felt his lip tremble. He blinked away the tears that were trying to escape. His eyes stung as the liquid met the purple haze that trailed from his tear ducts. He turned away from Amore, not wanting to look at her face again. With some effort, he hoisted Emerald over his back. He couldn't afford to waste magic right now.

Sombra walked slowly back through the mines, turning to another tunnel that had long been abandoned. It was in this dark corner of the world that he'd sealed the umbrum. He looked at the corridor of stone in front of him. A haze of magic served as divide between the mines and this dead end. And on the other side, he could see dozens of grey eyes staring at him. Some stared in fear, while others glared in anger. It didn't matter to him though.

Sombra slid Emerald off his back, allowing her to fall to the floor. The contact with the cold surface caused her to cough. She opened her eyes, trying to get her bearings.

"Where are we?"

Sombra didn't meet her eyes at all as he responded.

"Your new home."

His horn lit up and the wall of magic shimmered. Before Emerald could react, Sombra shoved her forward. She stumbled through the wall and into the umbrum's cage. A chorus of hissing began as Emerald looked around frantically.

"Wait! What is this?!"

Sombra had no expression as she spun around to see him. He blinked a few times before turning away.

"Like I said, your new home."

He walked away, never looking back. Not even as he heard Emerald begin to cry. He couldn't afford to be weak. Not now. Not when he was so close.

He wound through the tunnels of Everhoof before coming to a cavern. He'd discovered this particular place on one of his earliest surveys. The cavern was tall and had a large crystal at one end of it. The crystal was black as night, his own magic embedded within. Not wanting to waste another moment, Sombra summoned a vial of potion he'd prepared before leaving the palace. He held Amore's tear in his hoof and began to cast the Variation. The small crystal began to glow.

Sombra paused, having deduced the only acceptable stopping point in the spells to drink the potion. It was bitter beyond belief, causing him to cough. He cleared his throat and continued the spells as quickly as he could. The crystals in the cavern began to emanate their magic as Sombra continued reciting. He felt something begin to change.

His body began to feel like it was on fire. He wanted to stop, but knew it was impossible. If he stopped now, he'd be dooming himself. He didn't dare look down, knowing that his body must be beginning to bubble and distort like his experiments. He pushed forward, chanting louder than before. The crystal began to float away from his hoof and was growing even brighter.

Sombra was yelling the spells by this point, desperate to finish. He felt his body falling apart. He wasn't even sure how he was still speaking. His legs gave out and he fell to the floor. He couldn't feel his heart pounding in his chest anymore. He wasn't even sure if he still had a chest. The crystal was floating above him now as he began wrapping up the Variation. Sombra couldn't help but reach for Amore's tear. He nearly lost control as his eyes saw his hoof.

There was nothing left but bone.

Sombra shouted the last few words as he felt the last of his body dissolve. The last thing he recalled was the crystal letting off a brilliant light and another shockwave shaking him to his core.

-----------------------------------------

Sombra, wake up.

Sombra's eyes flew open suddenly and he took a huge breath. He was still in the cavern, but now he was standing. He looked around, trying to figure out what had happened. Where had that voice come from? He looked down at himself and found his body was still forming. The swirling, black shadow substance solidified into his normal body. Sombra forgot about the voice and began to laugh.

He'd done it! Looking to the large crystal in the cavern, Sombra caught his reflection. His features seemed unchanged for the most part. Then his eyes found his horn. It had turned red and smooth, not unlike some of the crystals he'd harvested. It had a curve to it that gave it resemblance to a tooth or claw. His smile grew as he stared at it, a crowning piece to his newfound power.

He'd never felt so good in his entire life! He could feel the difference, the magic coursing through his new body. It was more power than he'd ever had before! He turned to leave, wanting to leave these mines far behind him.

And suddenly he was flying. Sombra felt light as a feather and was speeding through the tunnels! He tried to look back but couldn't see himself. It was as if he'd become one with the shadows. Within a minute, he found himself at the entrance to the mines. As he had the thought to stop, he found himself slowing down and landing. He looked down to find his body beginning to form again. He'd apparently turned into some sort of smoky shadow in order to fly. That was something he hadn't expected. It only made him smile more.

He looked to the South. It had taken him hours to get here from the Empire. Something told him it wouldn't take nearly as long getting back. He had a war to win. And a mare to win back.

Stop before it's too late.

Sombra spun around to the mountain entrance, only to find nothing.

"Who's there?!"

Only the arctic wind made any noise. Sombra stared at the dark mouth of the mines for several minutes, waiting for something to appear. But there was nothing. He smirked at the mountain and lit his horn. The snow and rocks further up began to shake and crack. Within seconds, an avalanche descended on the entrance, sealing the mines. He turned to the South, ready to return to his Empire. It was time for the world to meet the new Sombra.

Sombra

He froze. That voice again. It was quieter though. Perhaps it had been buried in the mines. But how could he still hear-

Sombra

Sombra went rigid as he recognized the voice. A mixture of grief and anger filled him as he took flight toward the Empire. He had to leave this infernal mountain behind. He could never go back.

He couldn't face Amore like this...

-----------------------------------------

Shade opened his eyes and shivered.

"She was there. She was in the mines. The...the umbrum never told me..."

Celestia was wiping tears away.

"How could he ignore her?"

Luna chimed in.

"If you'd done everything he had, could you have looked our mother in the eye?"

Shade took a deep breath.

"I can feel the pain he felt. It's...immobilizing. He had so much hatred and sadness occupying him at once. He couldn't make sense of it all. Not alone..."

Luna began to cry.

"If only I'd done more."

Celestia shook her head.

"The fault isn't yours. It's mine."

Luna shouted through her tears.

"I could have gone to him! I could have helped him!"

Shade shook his head.

"He had already lost himself by then. All he could do was follow the plan; find his new power, keep his Empire from falling to his enemies, and somehow try to gain the respect of both of you. It was twisted and all kinds of wrong, but it was all he had after Amore and Luna were both gone."

They all looked at each other and settled into their chairs. This latest stint had been emotionally exhausting to say the least. Celestia was the first to speak again.

"What was next?"

Shade could barely respond before a tear rolled down his cheek.

"More tyranny...and more cruelty. He reveled in his new status. He even went into battle himself."

Luna's eyes widened.

"I remember that. When we received word that Sombra had joined the fight, we knew we had to put a stop to all of this."

Celestia sighed.

"So, we've come to it then. The last battle of the Crystal War..."