• Published 3rd Feb 2021
  • 1,653 Views, 8 Comments

Faded Memory: The Rise and Fall of Sombra - Speedy Quill



When their closest friend is tormented by the memories of Sombra, Celestia and Luna must relive the events that led to the fall of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
0
 8
 1,653

Love And Anguish

My dearest Luna,

I find myself staring up at the night sky every evening, waiting to see your masterpiece.
You truly have a gift that pales all others in comparison. Only you could create such beauty.

I feel my Mother may be on to us. Apparently I've been smiling more. She says that's out of character for me.
I have no reason to hide my correspondence with you, but I prefer to keep some things private. At least for a while longer.

I wish I could see you again, but there's hardly ever any spare time. It's been three months since you were here and I long to see your face. Your letters and night sky make me feel alive. I know if I could see you face-to-face, I would never need anything else in my life again.

I hope you're well.

Ever yours,
Sombra

---------------------------------------------

Sombra,

Every fiber of my being tells me to take flight and fly straight for you. Ever since that night in the garden, I've wanted to spend more time with you. I wish I could just drop all my responsibilities and leave Canterlot. My sister seems more than capable of handling things here herself. But I know she would never understand if I left.

I think about that night all the time. Did I ever mention in my previous letters how handsome I thought you were? I felt weak in the knees when you talked about my night sky. And your words have honestly kept me going ever since.

Celestia seems to know something happened to me while I was away. She hasn't asked what, but I think she suspects it's a matter of the heart. Be warned, she knows I went to the Empire. She might ask Amore if she knows anything.

Even if we're found out though, it won't change what I feel.

Your Luna

---------------------------------------------

Sombra closed Luna's letter and sighed. If Celestia and his mother spoke, any secrecy would be gone. Perhaps though, that was a good thing? It had been nice to have the privacy, but he knew it couldn't last indefinitely.

A knock at his door brought him back to the present.

"Come in."

The door opened to reveal Amore.

"Hello dear! How are you this evening?"

"Doing well Mother. And you?"

"Oh, peachy as ever. Have you heard from your...pen pal lately?"

Sombra rolled his eyes.

"Don't you ever want to talk about anything else?"

"Do you have any other major event in your life right now?"

That shut him up. And it elicited a smile from Amore.

"Exactly. And how is Luna these days?"

Sombra furrowed his brow.

"Why are you such a pest?"

"it's in my nature dear. Love is one of my specialties after all. And I introduced the two of you! So, I should get to know some details."

She approached his desk, causing him to shove every paper into the drawer.

"Do you mind?!"

"Oh, not at all! I just wanted to see how your hoofwriting has come along. You used to be such a messy writer."

"When I was seven."

Amore smiled and sat down.

"I'm glad you two have been talking. Luna is often lonely in her position."

Sombra blinked in surprise.

"Lonely?"

Amore nodded.

"Well of course. Her position leaves her up all night while most of Equestria sleeps. Nopony really helps her."

"How could they just leave her alone like that?"

"Well...I don't know. But she doesn't complain about it."

Sombra thought of Luna sitting alone in her castle. Everypony slept on while she protected them. It didn't seem fair.

"I hadn't realized..."

Amore put a hoof around him.

"It's nopony's fault Sombra. That's just how things are. But your friendship definitely helps her."

Sombra began to nod, but then looked straight at his mother.

"What about Celestia? Surely she helps her in some way? Or at least gives her support?"

Amore took a breath and sighed.

"Celestia does her best. The few times we've been in the same place, I've noticed that Luna tends to be left in the background. Celestia has always been more social while Luna blends in. I couldn't say if that was by choice or not."

Sombra frowned.

"She's her sister. She should try harder."

"Running a country is no easy task. You know that."

Sombra sighed and stood up, pacing around the room.

"I just...wish I could see her."

"Well why don't you?"

He looked at his mother in shock.

"What?!"

"Go see her! You've never left the Empire before. You deserve to see some of the world!"

"Are...are you being serious?"

Amore stood up and danced in place.

"Oh! I'll write Celestia at once! I'll tell her you're taking a holiday to see Equestria!"

"That doesn't sound odd at all."

"Nonsense! I'll get a sack packed for you at once!"

Amore ran out of the room, leaving Sombra alone. He felt his excitement begin to grow. He was going to see Luna!

---------------------------------------------

Shade opened his eyes.

"I need a break."

Luna frowned.

"You need too many breaks."

"Anyways, I can tell that Sombra isn't too eager to move forward. Did something happen during his visit?"

Luna became lost in thought for several seconds. Her eyes slowly widened.

"I remember that day...but I can't imagine how it must have looked from his side..."

Luna looked at Shade.

"Sombra can see everything you see, right?"

Yes, I can.

Shade nodded.

"Yes, he can."

"Then...perhaps I should tell you this particular story from my point of view."

She lit up her horn and a similar trail of magic touched the crystal on the table. The crystal began to glow as a new image formed...

---------------------------------------------

My dear Luna,

You won't believe my luck! My Mother is sending me to tour Equestra since I've never been before!

I'll be in Canterlot in a few days. I hope you can make time to see me.

Sombra

Luna re-read the letter several times, her heart jumping in her chest. He was coming to visit her! She could hardly contain herself as she left her room, trotting down the hallway. She couldn't help but smile as she greeted every staff member that was turning in for the night.

"Good evening!"

"Have a nice sleep!"

"Sweet dreams!"

"Goodnight!"

She entered the throne room and instantly spotted her sister, still reading a scroll.

"Aren't you done with your work yet?"

Celestia looked up from her scroll and shook her head.

"Still working out the last few details of this treaty."

She began to look down again, but stopped.

"You seem...happy tonight."

Luna sat on her throne, still smiling.

"Do I? I'm just excited for...work."

Celestia arched her brow.

"I haven't seen you excited to work in years."

"Really? That can't be right."

Celestia shook her head and returned to her scroll. After about a minute, she groaned.

"What is going on with you?"

"Tia, I don't know what you're talking about."

"Ever since you came back from your tour, you've been walking around like you're floating on air."

Luna giggled.

"Well...we do have wings."

"You know what I mean Luna."

"What can I say? My tour did me good. I feel refreshed!"

"Uh-huh..."

The door to the throne room opened and a page came hurrying in.

"A message from Princess Amore, your Highnesses."

Celestia took the scroll he offered and opened it.

"Hmm..."

Luna leaned forward, already having guessed the subject.

"What is it sister?"

"It seems that Amore's son is leaving home for the first time. And he wishes to see Equestria. His first stop will be here in Canterlot."

She glanced at Luna.

"Didn't you just meet her son?"

Luna nodded.

"Yes! He's become quite the stallion since we last saw him. Remember how small he was when we were there last?"

Celestia nodded.

"Yes. Just a newborn. I'm surprised he hasn't gone out sooner. Better late than never I suppose. We'll make sure to give him a proper welcome."

She looked down at the page.

"Tell the chief of staff we'll have a visitor from the Empire soon."

The page bowed and exited the throne room. Once he was gone, Celestia turned fully to face Luna.

"You know, I'm not as blind as you think."

Luna looked at Celestia, feigning confusion.

"What are you talking about?"

"Luna..."

Celestia put a hoof to her forehead.

"Do you even know what you're doing?"

"I don't even know what you're doing, Tia."

"Be serious for once! You come back from a tour that ended with a visit to Amore, you meet her son, you've been acting strange, and now he's coming down to visit? Not to mention the letters you think you're hiding so well!"

Luna felt her anger boiling.

"Did you read any of them?"

"No! But I don't have to to guess you've been writing this stallion."

Luna rolled her eyes.

"So we've written each other a few times. Big deal. He's nice to me."

"Don't you realize the implications?"

"What? That we might like each other?"

"Exactly!"

"So what?!"

"So everything Luna!"

Celestia stood up and began pacing in front of the thrones.

"We have responsibilities. We're two halves of a ruling body. We don't have time for-"

Luna interrupted.

"Love?"

Celestia froze, turning to her sister.

"Yes. You know that as well as I do. We may look young, but we're not. Don't you find it weird that you met this stallion as a baby? And that he'll keep growing older while you look the same? We're going to be around for centuries! He'll be lucky to make it to one!"

Luna glared at her.

"Don't you think all of those thoughts haven't crossed my mind?! Do you think I like thinking of how long I have in this world?! We didn't exactly get a choice in this matter! That damned wizard and our Mother-"

Celestia put a hoof over Luna's mouth.

"Don't talk so loud! As if we need to add any more scandal on top of the one forming."

Luna removed her sister's hoof.

"Scandal?! So I'm a scandal now?"

Celestia sighed.

"Luna...think of the long term. What happens? You fall in love, get married, and eventually lose him."

Luna felt tears welling up in her eyes.

"That's not the point."

"Then what is?"

Luna felt the tears begin to roll down her cheeks.

"I actually feel something...worthwhile for the first time in decades."

Without another word, Luna stood up and walked out of the throne room.

---------------------------------------------

Luna opened her eyes as she broke her link with the crystal. She looked over to Shade and discovered a pair of crimson eyes staring back.

"Hello Luna."

Luna felt her breath catch in her throat.

"I...I didn't think you'd come forward again."

"Shade thought it would be easier for me. Why didn't you ever say anything while I was there? I thought I'd done something wrong!"

"You didn't. And say what? My sister told me we can't be together? I'm already old enough to be your grandmother?"

"You know I never cared about that."

Celestia made a scoffing noise.

"I think thirteen years of war says otherwise."

Sombra glared at Celestia.

"I know you never approved of me, but you know very well that you were only speaking half-truths about the possibilities."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh yes you do Celestia. Don't forget, Shade recovered a certain journal from Everhoof."

Celestia's eyes widened.

"So you did steal it! I knew it!"

Sombra shook his head.

"That's a tricky answer. One I'll go into later. But suffice it to say, I know that there was a way I could have joined Luna for all eternity."

Luna felt herself beginning to cry.

"No Sombra."

Sombra looked back at her, his eyes filled with shock.

"What?"

Luna wiped away the tears.

"Those spells require a constant connection. One that most ponies can't withstand. Shade connected to the ethereal plane for a few moments and it nearly ripped him apart."

"But I was stronger than Shade!"

Luna shook her head.

"Not by the time it would have mattered. Arcane magic amplifies a pony. And you were already filled with so much pain after Amore-"

She couldn't bring herself to finish, leaving Sombra staring at her. He sat back and sighed.

"I...I never meant to do it..."

Luna and Celestia both stared at him. Celestia could barley contain her anger.

"What did you do Sombra?"

A tear fell from one of his crimson eyes. He slowly closed them and connected with the crystal...

---------------------------------------------

"I don't understand Mother. We've seen each other every few months. Whenever we're together, she acts more distant...and her letters...I can tell she's holding something back. She was crying the last time I saw her!"

Amore sat in her study, sipping tea as her son paced back and forth in front of her.

"Have you thought to ask her?"

"I've tried! For the last year I've tried! And she just turns me away. I know it must have something to do with Celestia."

"What makes you say that?"

"Luna always seems to say something about her whenever we talk or write. It's like Celestia has her hoof on her, making sure we don't get too close."

"Perhaps she's just feeling protective."

"Mother, you're protective. I feel like Luna is being kept from me."

"Then talk to her about it."

"And ask what? Is your sister keeping you hostage?"

"You know that's not the case."

"It is though."

Sombra's horn began to glow.

"Celestia doesn't want us together."

"Sombra-"

"Why can't we be happy?"

"Sombra!"

Sombra let out a frustrated scream.

"AUGH!!"

The room shook as black crystals broke through, growing from the walls, ceiling, and floor. Amore had to jump from her seat as a crystal punctured it from underneath.

"SOMBRA!"

He turned to her, breathing heavily. As he stared at his mother's face, which wore a disapproving look, he began to realize what he'd done. His breathing began to slow down as his senses returned.

"I...I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me."

"You're acting like a child who hasn't gotten the toy he wanted! Look at my study!"

She lit her horn and the black crystals began to disappear.

"Black crystals. Of all the colors there are, you create black."

Sombra sat down.

"Black can be a good color."

"For accents sweetie. It's dismal as a base."

"They match how I feel."

The last of the crystals disappeared and Amore sighed.

"Sombra, I know you have feelings for Luna. But you have to remember that she's a ruler. And an alicorn as well. Do you think she wants to watch you grow old?"

Sombra took a deep breath and shook his head.

"No."

"Of course not. That doesn't mean you can't be friends still. That was my whole intention with introducing you."

Sombra smirked at her.

"No it wasn't."

Amore rolled her eyes.

"Okay. I could tell you had a crush from the start. But I...I didn't think it would blossom like it did."

Sombra blinked a few times as he registered her last words.

"You...you didn't think she'd like me that way."

Amore put a hoof to her head.

"I forget how different she is from Celestia. She was always more...relaxed about duty."

Sombra turned to her.

"But you were wrong. And now we're both miserable because we were never meant to be in the first place."

Amore closed her eyes as she began to cry.

"I never meant to hurt you Sombra."

Sombra closed his eyes and rubbed his temples.

"I know you wouldn't have done it on purpose. It's just...difficult now. I love her, Mother."

"I know you do. And I should have seen it sooner. I thought nothing of it for so long. But when Celestia told me-"

Sombra's eyes flew open.

"What?"

"I said, when Celestia told...me..."

Amore trailed off, realizing what she'd said. Sombra glared at her.

"You knew?! You knew that Celestia disapproved?!"

"Sombra, it's not like that-"

"Than what?! The two of you have been plotting how to separate us?!"

"No! I just wanted to spare you any pain!"

"PAIN?! My heart has been breaking in two! And now I find out it's because of you?! My own mother?!"

Sombra barely registered that his horn was glowing again.

"Luna makes me happier than anypony in the world and you and her sister are actively trying to drive a wedge between us!"

"Sombra, please! Calm down!"

"I just wanted to be happy! All my life I've felt out of place! Luna finally made me feel like I belong!"

"I know sweetie-"

"NO!! YOU DON'T KNOW!! BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT MY MOTHER!!"

It hit him instantly. He saw the pain in her eyes as she began to cry. He felt an immense throbbing in his head at the buildup of magic. He cried out in pain and turned away from Amore.

"AAAUUGHHH!!!"

He released the magic, expecting it to incinerate the wall. Instead it ricocheted. The bolt of energy bounced around the room, but Sombra didn't care.

Until it stopped.

"S-S-Sombra..."

He looked over his shoulder.

Amore's feet were crystalizing.

Sombra spun around, taking in the sight. Black crystals were crawling up Amore, covering her body. His eyes grew big as panic set in.

"Wha- What happened? What's happening?!"

"Sweetie, look at me."

Sombra shot magic at the crystals, but it had no effect.

"I can't stop it!!"

"Sombra."

Sombra looked up at her face. Amore was still crying.

"It's going to be okay."

Sombra felt the tears in his own eyes now.

"No..."

"I'm sorry I caused you pain."

The crystals were up to her flank now.

"I'm sorry that I thought I could control who you love."

"Mother-"

"Hush now. I haven't got much time."

The crystals were approaching her chest.

"I know you didn't mean to do this, my darling. And know that I don't blame you for what is about to happen."

"I can fix it!"

"I told you to hush sweetie. You're going to have to be strong now."

"I can't..."

"You have to be. For me. For everypony."

The crystals were almost to her head.

"Follow your heart Sombra. It knows better than me."

The crystals moved up the back of her head first, leaving her face for last like some cruel joke.

"I love you more than anything in this world."

Sombra's tears fell to the floor as he watched his mother smile.

"Tell Luna I'm sorry. I was-"

Her words cut off as the crystal solidified. Sombra stared at what looked like an incredible likeness of Amore carved out of crystal. She was fully encased. And Sombra wasn't sure if the magic he'd carelessly shot would keep her alive...or kill her. His tears came faster. He fell to the floor, laying his head against his mother's chest.

"I can't...I can't do this...not alone...please...come back..."

---------------------------------------------

Shade opened his eyes. Both Celestia and Luna were crying. A moment later, he realized he was crying as well. Celestia was the first to speak.

"I...I never meant...I just thought..."

Luna held up a hoof.

"Please don't. I know you thought you knew better than me. You're the responsible sister after all."

Celestia shook her head.

"That doesn't excuse what Amore and I did. It could have been dealt with better. Or we could have just let nature take its course. Perhaps that would have been better for everyone."

Shade stood from up from the table and walked over to his bed.

"No more today. We're all exhausted."

He looked over his shoulder at Luna.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that."

He glanced at Celestia.

"I can understand why you felt the way you did back then, but...please...give me time to process this. Don't try to pretend that what we saw wasn't partially due to you."

Celestia's tears came faster.

"I'm sorry."

"I know. And I still love you sis. But...I need to rest now."

Without another word, Shade climbed into bed. Luna stood up and left the room. Celestia dried her eyes and walked to the window. The night sky was clear as the mare thought how things might have been different had she not been so controlling.

But this only brought more tears.