• Published 26th Aug 2012
  • 1,467 Views, 42 Comments

Widget - funkyferret



A strange recluse named Widget is starting a life for herself in Everfree forest.

  • ...
2
 42
 1,467

A Cutie Mark Part 1

A Cutie Mark

Rain was steadily falling on Sweet Apple Acres. It was a blessing for the trees, who desperately needed the water to finish growing their fruit. For the fauna however, the rain was an inconvenience, particularly to a certain visitor. A cloaked figure made her way slowly up the road to the farmhouse, head down to keep the rain out of her eyes. She raised a booted foreleg and knocked on the door.

----------------------

Widget shuffled impatiently as she waited for somepony to answer the door. The wet weather was ruining her mood. It always did as it would soak her clothing, making it cumbersome to move around in and making her boots even more painful to wear than usual. The wet weather wasn't very good for her wing membranes either. They would have to be dried out, lest she risk rashes or tearing. The wyrmkin considered just turning around and going home. She smiled at her silliness. If Mama had seen her breaking a promise, she would have earned herself a swift belt from the dragoness' tail. A little discomfort was no excuse for bad behavior.


The door to the farmhouse finally opened, revealing an orange mare who regarded Widget with a sheepish expression on her face.

"Howdy there sugar cube," Applejack said, "Ah know ya promised tah come an look at the ol plow today, but Rainbow finally got around tah providin' us with that storm she promised." She looked over the dripping form standing in front of her for a moment, then sighed. "Come on in, let's at least get ya dry. Can't have one of mah friends catchin' a cold." She opened the door wider to allow Widget to enter.


"You can leave your things over there," Apple jack said, pointing to a hook on the wall as she closed the front door with a hind-hoof. Widget complied quickly, stripping out of her cloak and boots. It was nice to get out of them. She unfurled her wings slightly so they would dry more quickly, then followed Applejack further into the house. "Big Macintosh aint here today, he had some business tah attend to out of town" Applejack said, "Mah sister should be home soon though. Ah reckon its high time you met her. She can be a hoof-full sometimes, but she's sweet as can be."


About this time, a trio of fillies was making their way to Sweet Apple Acres. The group consisted of a yellow earth pony, a white unicorn, and an orange pegasus. They argued while they walked.


"Come on!" the orange filly was saying, "That idea is stupid! Who wants a cutie mark in stamp collecting anyways? That sounds really boring."

The unicorn frowned at her. "I suppose you have a better idea then Scoots?" she asked sourly.

"I sure do!" Scootaloo responded, "We can be monster hunters!"

"Umm maybe that's not ah good idea," the earth pony said, "We already tried that with the cockatrice."

"No we didn't!" the pegasus said, "We were trying to be chicken rescuers at the time, not monster hunters."

"Ah guess you're right," Apple Bloom said, "But where are we going tah find monsters outside ah Everfree?"

"Ugh! you're missing the whole point Apple Bloom! Part of monster hunting is finding the monsters!" Scootaloo said, "So are you two in or not?"

The other two fillies looked at each other for a moment, then smiled. "CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS MONSTER HUNTERS! YEAH!" the three of them yelled.

"Let's stop at mah house and get some monster hunting supplies," Apple Bloom said.

"You have monster hunting stuff?" Sweetie Belle asked.

The little farmer shook her head. "Course not. But that don't mean we can't find somethin' that works."


The Cutie Mark Crusaders dashed through the rain surrounding Sweet Apple Acres and run into the farmhouse. "Hey sis Ah'm home!" Apple Bloom called.

"Ah'm in here Apple Bloom," came the response.

Apple Bloom headed towards her sisters voice, only to stop suddenly. The two other fillies piled up behind her.

"Ouch!" Scootaloo said, "What's the big idea Apple--" She was interrupted by a hoof being shoved into her mouth.

"Shh!" Apple Bloom said, "Just look!"

There was a strange shadow reflected on the wall in front of them, reflected in the firelight from the next room. It looked kind of like a pony, but then it had big bat wings and a dragon's tail.

"A monster?" Sweetie Belle asked.

Apple Bloom nodded. "And it's got mah sister! We gotta do somethin'!"

The trio looked at each other and nodded. "Cutie Mark Crusaders monster hunters go!" they whispered. They charged the shadowy figure that dared to try and hold Apple Bloom's sister captive.

----------------------

Widget's conversation with Applejack was interrupted by the sudden impact of three damp bodies. Caught completely unaware, she was quickly toppled, and found herself being pummeled with tiny hooves. "Take that you beast!" a voice was saying. They sure knew how to play rough around here. She was happy that the fillies were willing to play with her.

----------------------

"Girls! What in tarnation are yah doing?" Applejack yelled. The three fillies stopped there assault to look at the angry mare.

"Ah'm protectin' yah from the monster sis," Apple Bloom said. She was seated on the monster's chest, holding it down so Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo could beat it into submission. The beast was rolling around trying to shake her off.

"That's no monster! Now yah'll better get off her right now!" the orange pony commanded.

"But... " Apple Bloom began, then stopped as her sister scowled at her. Reluctantly, the three fillies stopped their attack and went off to sulk on the other side of the room. They eyed the fallen figure warily.

----------------------

Sensing the "attack" was over, Widget stood and shook herself off. "Are yah okay? Ah'm sorry mah sister and her friends hurt yah," Applejack said.

Widget smiled at her. "It's alright," she said, "My hide is pretty tough. They didn't hurt me at all." She wondered what had made Applejack so angry at the little fillies. She had been having fun playing with them. Who knew some ponies know how to play the way she used to with Mama? Applejack still forced the fillies to apologize, then left to find some towels to dry them off with.


After the farmer left, Widget went over to the three fillies and smiled at them. They eyed her suspiciously. "Hello, my name's Widget," she said, "I had fun playing with you."

Apple Bloom blinked. "Yah mean you're the one who fixed the cider maker?" she asked. Widget nodded. "Mah sister told me about yah. Ah'm sorry ah tried tah hurt yah," the filly said looking down at the floor in shame. Widget gently patted her head. Startled, Apple Bloom looked up at her. She met the mare's smile with a small one of her own.

"What the heck are you anyway?" Scootaloo interrupted.

"Scootaloo! That's rude!" Sweetie Belle said.

"It's alright," Wiget said with a slightly strained smile, "I'm not exactly a common sight. I'm a wrymkin, at least that's what Twilight calls it. My Mama was a dragon and my Papa was a pegasus." The fillies looked at her in awe.

"Can you breathe fire?" Scootaloo asked.

"Yes, but that's not exactly an indoor activity. The rain is hard on my flame too," Widget said, demonstrating by coughing up a small plume of smoke. Scootaloo looked disappointed. Widget did her best to find a new topic. "Why were you jumping on me anyways?" she asked.

The three fillies lit up. "That's because we're THE CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS!" they yelled in unison.

Widget's ears were ringing. "What's a cootie mark?" she asked, rubbing her ears.

The fillies looked at her with dumbstruck expressions. "You don't know what a cutie mark is?" Scootaloo asked in shock.

"I... don't get out much," the wyrmkin responded nervously.

"Ah cutie mark is that thing on ah pony's flank that shows what their special talent is," Apple Bloom said, "We want ours, so we're trying as many things as we can tah find ours. Then we won't be blank flanks anymore."

Widget frowned. She had seen these "cutie marks" on the ponies before. She had assumed they were just some sort of equine fashion statement. "Why is it so important?" she asked them. They gave her the same look again.

----------------------

The orange filly was annoyed by this strange mare's stupid questions. "What planet are you from?" Scootaloo asked, "You're not an adult until you get a cutie mark!"

Widget's expression darkened. She turned and looked out the window. "The rain's stopped," she said absently, "I better go fix the plow now." Widget slipped into her damp clothing and exited the farmhouse, leaving three confused ponies behind.

"Is it something we said?" Sweetie Belle asked. The other two just shrugged.


Widget sighed as she looked at herself in the mirror. Try as she might, she couldn't forget her discussion with those fillies earlier. Not even the fun of working on the plow had been enough to distract her. She turned slightly so her own flank was reflected in the mirror. It was still as blank as it had always been. Was this just another sign that she was different from them? Could she ever truly belong?


Widget sighed and walked away from the mirror. She flopped down into her nest and curled into a tight ball. Maybe things would seem brighter in the morning. She turned out the light by her bed. "Good night, Sydney," she whispered, getting a small "churr" from him in response. The wrymkin drifted off into a troubled sleep.

----------------------

Blood. There was blood everywhere. She hadn't thought it would hurt this much. She looked down at the file in her claws. It was so well coated that she couldn't even tell what the original color was. "Widget?" Mama called. She heard a scream of fright. Large claws picked her up, the file fell from her grasp. She was looking into her mother's large almond shaped eyes, the pupils mere slits with fear and pain. Her mother pried her still aching mouth open, and gasped when she saw what lay within. "What have you done to your fangs?!" her mother asked shrilly.

Widget looked at her. Mama was crying. She didn't want to see Mama cry. "I got rid of them!" Widget yelled, "Now... now I look more normal. Now at least my face looks like everypony else." She broke down into sobs.

Her mother rocked her in her arms, tears running down her face. "Oh nestling, my little nestling," she said softly, "I'm so sorry. I love you just the way you are. Please don't hurt yourself anymore. I can't stand seeing you in pain, I would take it all away if I could." Widget sniffled into her scales. "Please, promise me you won't do anything like this again. You don't need to change who you are for others," her Mama said.

Widget looked into her mother's eyes again. She could see pain there, sadness, and even a trace of fear. Fear for her. But above all else, she could see love in them, deep and strong, unwavering. "I promise, Mama," she whispered.

The dragoness rocked her back and forth singing to her. She held her until the blood stopped flowing, until Widget finally fell asleep.

Baby mine, don't you cry,

Baby mine, dry your eyes,

Rest your head close to my heart...

----------------------

Widget looked at the ceiling. She was covered in sweat. The memory... she had buried it away long ago. Why was it coming to the surface now? She groaned and got out of bed. She had to do something about this "cutie mark" thing before she drove herself mad with it. She would keep her promise to Mama.


Mid morning found the Cutie Mark Crusaders in their club house. There was no school, so they had a full day of activities planned. The three were positioned in front of a map that they had hanging on the wall, discussing their strategy.

"Alright then" Apple Bloom was saying, "So ah guess we can go bungee jumpin' first and then--"

"Apple Bloom!" Applejack called from outside.

The filly stuck her head out the door and yelled back. "Whatcha want sis?"

"Ah've got somepony here who wants tah see ya," her sister responded. Widget came up beside her and smiled at them. The three fillies exited the tree house and came down to meet the two mares on the ground below. "Ah'll just leave yah to it then," Applejack said. She headed off to return to her chores. The fillies looked at the mare they had mobbed the other day.

"Can ah help yah?" Apple Bloom asked.

"I-I was wondering if I could join you," she said. They looked at her blankly.

"Why would you want to join us?" Sweetie Belle asked.

Widget just sighed and lifted her cape up over her hindquarters. The fillies gasped.

"Blank?" they said in unison.

"Oh no! Does this mean ah could be stuck without a cutie mark forever?" Apple Bloom cried.

"Ugh that would so not be cool," Scootaloo said.

Sweetie Belle had a forlorn expression on her face.

"I... I'm not sure, but I think I'm a rare case," Widget said. The three fillies looked at her. "I've lived in a cave my whole life, so I guess I never got the chance to find out what my special talent is... if I can even get a cutie mark."

"Ah guess that makes sense," Apple Bloom said. She turned to her friends. "What do yah say girls? Should we let her join us?"

"I don't mind," Sweetie Belle said.

"As long as you can keep up," Scootaloo added.

"Ah guess that settles it," Apple Bloom concluded.

Widget smiled happily.

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS!" the three fillies yelled.

"YEAH!" Widget added.

----------------------

Applejack smiled. She had been hiding nearby, watching the entire exchange. "Ah think they'll get along just fine," she said to herself. She left the four of them to hatch their plans in peace. She had apple bucking to get back to.


A little while later, the four of them were standing on a cliff not to far from Ponyville. They had their harnesses on, and had found a large rock to tie off to. They checked each other's harnesses, then turned to Apple Bloom.

"Alright then! Let's go bungee jumpin'!" Applebloom declared.

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS BUNGEE JUMPERS!" the four yelled. The sheer volume caused a small storm of pebbles to roll down the cliff.

"Alright, we'll go on three," the earth pony said. "Ready? One... Two--"

"Wait!" Widget yelled. The fillies looked at her.

"Don't tell me you're chickening out," Scootaloo scoffed.

"No... It's just that, well," the wrymkin stammered, "According to my calculations, the rock can only support the weight of two fillies at a time. Any more, and its liable to slip enough to send you crashing into those trees down there."

The three fillies looked down. "I don't want to end up covered in tree sap again," Sweetie Belle said.

"Thanks fer the warning," Apple Bloom said, "Alright then, who's going first?"

Widget smiled. They had actually listened to her.


"Well, another day wasted I guess," Scootaloo said. The sun was setting and the four of them were headed back into Ponyville. The group was understandably dirty and a little scrapped up. Still, they were surprisingly in much better shape than they would have been after a normal day of crusading before Widget had joined them. The new member was rather good at making sure their attempts didn't end too horribly. The final result was much the same though; they all still had blank flanks.

Widget frowned at the pegasus. "What do you mean wasted?" she asked, "I had a lot of fun today. We went bungee jumping, white water rafting, and even played extreme jump-rope. They may not have been my special talent, but I had fun doing them anyways."

The fillies nodded. "I guess it was a pretty great day," the pegasus said.

"I just wish we didn't have to go home so soon," Sweetie Belle said, "I'm supposed to be staying with my sister, but she's got another one of those big orders to fill."

"Ah'd invite yah over, but mah sister has tah go meet Big Macintosh at the train station tomorrow morning."

"You could all come over to my place," Widget said.

The reaction she got was immediate. "ALRIGHT! CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS SLEEP OVER!" the fillies yelled.

"Ah'll go ask mah sister and get mah sleeping bag," Apple Bloom said.

"I'm sure Rarity won't mind, but I should go tell her anyways," Sweetie Belle said.

"I'll be back in a flash!" Scootaloo said, patting her scooter.

"Alright then, meet me at Fluttershy's cottage when you're ready," Widget said. The fillies nodded and hurried off in different directions. Widget smiled, pleased with herself. She'd never had a sleep over before. This should be fun!