• Published 11th Jul 2020
  • 3,430 Views, 707 Comments

The final challenge - Dianabel



The Legion if Doom and Grogar finally make their move, bringing disharmony to Equestria. It´s up to the mane 6 and their allies to save Equestria.

  • ...
8
 707
 3,430

Chapter 29: Ready

“Ok. Let me read it one more time.” Daybreaker told the sirens. She brought the sheet Grogar gave her closer to her eyes. “Bibbidi… Bobbidi… Boo?” she sighed defeated. “That´s it, I give up.” she said as she did a ball with the sheet. She threw to Adagio´s face.

The siren´s face burnt with rage.

“What. Are. You. Doing?!” she asked upset. “Don´t you see that the spell is here?!”

“I don´t doubt that. But that goat´s writing is unreadable!”

“It can´t be that bad. You just don´t know how to read properly.” Aria told her.

“Oh! You try it!” Daybreaker clapped back.

“Fine! I bet we´ll do it quicker than you.” Adagio replied sassily.

However, as she and Aria were smirking, Sonata was the one who bothered to read Grogar´s spell. Her eyes widened.

“Um… Girls…. I think she´s right…”

Adagio and Aria glared at her.

“Don´t you contradict us in front of her!” Adagio said clenching her teeth.

“But it´s true!” Sonata complained. “Look!” she showed the writing on the sheet to her sisters. “And you know I´m great at reading! Better than you.”

“Yes, we know Sonata.” Aria mumbled angrily under her breath. “Must be because it´s wrinkled.”

“Even if it was wrinkled, just give it a look! Pleeeaaase?” Sonata gave her sisters an adorable smile.

Both, Aria and Adagio rolled their eyes.

“Fiiine.” they begrudgingly agreed to read the sheet.

For some reason, Daybreaker left out a chuckle as she watched that scene, although it didn´t last. She shook her head. Why was she chuckling? She should be angry. She hated those sirens, after all! She shook her head and forced her expression into one of anger.

Adagio and Aria widened their eyes as well.

“See?! I told you. I told you! Didn´t I?” Sonata told her sisters triumphally.

Adagio rolled her eyes.

“Shut up Sonata.” Aria told her sister. “I can´t believe I´m saying this, but I´m starting to consider taking singing classes instead of rebuilding our rubies.”

“Sure, just let everyone see the famous Dazzlings going to singing classes and discovering that we used playback all along!” Adagio exclaimed sarcastically and upset.

“Yeah, but it´s more practical than coming here.”

“Urgh, stop complaining, will you? You´re always complaining!”

“At least I complain with a reason.”

“But instead of complaining you could try to find a solution!”

“But that´s your job, finding solutions! You´re the strategist in the group.”

“I don´t care if I´m the strategist, I always do all the work!”

“Hey!” Sonata exclaimed upset. “Unlike her, I always help!”

“Quite the contrary Sonata, you do things worse.”

Sonata gasped offended.

“Excuse me?! Well, I might not be as aggressive as the two of you, but at least I´m always loyal to you and never complain! And you know what? Now that we´re talking about the things that annoy us of each other, let me tell you something. I hate it when you underestimate me!”

“Don´t get dramatic.” Aria told Sonata.

“No! Don´t you patronize me! I´m tired that you see me as clueless, foolish and useless because of my cheerful attitude. That makes me feel like you underestimate me!”

Daybreaker´s ears raised when she heard that phrase. For some reason, that phrase made her feel bad and anxious. Her sister Luna used to tell her that. And whenever Luna said that, Daybreaker didn´t feel bad at the slightest and ignored her. So why was she feeling bad?

As she was overthinking, Adagio and Aria talked to Sonata.

“We don´t think you´re useless. You´re an important member of this group.” Adagio told her.

“We may get frustrated by your bubbly personality. But we also know that you have your moments of brightness. Not often, but there still are.”

Sonata doubted of their sisters´ honesty at first.

“You really mean it?” Sonata asked with some hope in her voice.

“Yeah, yeah, can we please move on and stop being feely?” Aria said bluntly.

“Oh you´re the best!”

Sonata hugged both Adagio and Aria.

“Ok. Stop hugging us before I change my mind.”

“A few more seconds...” Sonata complained playfully.

At that moment, Daybreaker felt empty. She never hugged Luna and never regretted that, but now… She wished that she hugged her the way Sonata was hugging her sisters. She shook her head violently. What were these thoughts? Why is this constantly on her head?

“STOP!” she ordered with a scream.

From the scare, Sonata quickly undid the hug.

“Stop, please! You´re making me feel uneasy!”

“We don´t care how you feel! You´ve made us wait like an hour for nothing!” Sonata defended herself.

“For nothing? I was trying to figure out the spell!”

“Considering that we are in the secret archives, you could have looked for a book instead!” Adagio told her.

Daybreaker was about to answer in return but couldn´t say anything, because Adagio was right.

“That… could have saved me a lot of work! Why didn´t you tell me before?!”

“I don´t know. You´re the one who´s been calling us useless.” Aria clapped back.

Daybreaker growled.

“You know what? If I wasn´t under that Grogar´s command I would have blasted you already!”

“I don´t get it, I thought you were glad to work for him.” Sonata pointed out.

“Well, yes but no. Honestly, the only thing I want to do is having fun. I see Grogar a means of fun, but he´s giving me boring tasks such as dealing with you! Where´s the excitement and destruction?! Why doesn´t that old goat give it to me?!”

“DAYBREAKER!”

Their eyes widened.

“Well, well, looks like someone is in trouble.” Adagio smirked.

“Impossible! He can´t have heard me from here.” Daybreaker said with panic on her voice.

Grogar blasted the library´s door.

“I need you to attack. Immediately!” he said in a mixture of anger and anxiety.

“Finally! Some action!” Daybreaker said in satisfaction.

“Wait! But what about our rubies?” Sonata asked.

“I´ll fix those later!”

“Without our rubies, we can´t do anything!” Adagio pointed out.

“You are bigger creatures than ponies! Which means that you have more physical strength. Now go! You´re driving my patience.”

“Not until-”

If it hadn´t been for Aria´s strong reflexes, she would have been blasted by Grogar.

“NOW!”

The three sirens flew away. Daybreaker stared at Grogar.

“Um… I know you´re always grumpy, but now… oof! Whatever is happening?”

“Twilight Sparkle´s friends!”

“Who in tarnation is that? And why would I care about their friends?”

He grabbed Daybreaker by the throat with his magic.

“Just do as I say. Or I´ll press harder and harder.”

“Ok. Ok. I´m going.” she said as he choked her.

When he let her go, he threw her to the ground. She rushed out, trying to get away from Grogar as fast as possible.

Once he was alone, he noticed that his breath was shortened. He threw himself to the ground, put his hooves on his temples. He hyperventilated, almost in the brink of tears. Just as things were going well, they changed drastically in the last minute. He knew that he was walking on a very tight rope. His mind was a whirlwind. He felt, anger, humiliation, and ironically the source of its power: fear.

One wrong move would mean facing the consequences of all his actions. Actions that hurt so many creatures. At first, and very rarely, he would feel guilty because of it, and to shove the feeling away he would blame it on others, saying that they deserved it. He knew what he did was wrong but by pushing the blame away, he felt no remorse. But consequently, the fear of facing the consequences was born. He perfectly knew if they had the chance, they would make him pay in the cruellest way possible. Just by thinking about it, he felt as frightened as a little lamb.

Nonetheless, Grogar wasn´t the one to give up, no matter how bad things were. So, after a few minutes that felt like hours. Grogar opened his eyes and frowned in determination. Slowly, he woke up and walked to the window.

“You want it that way? Fine, then so be it.”


“That was a clever idea Twilight! Looking for recipes for potions to facilitate sleep inside the cavern.” Cozy said. “Kinda wish somepony thought of that before.” she undirectedly told Tirek and Chrysalis.

“Oh, shut up Cozy.” Tirek said in reply.

“Exactly!” Chyrsalis. “Besides, weren´t you the one who saw Grogar spending the nights awake?”

“Yes, but you could have thought of that too!”

Twilight and Luna were not only physically, but also mentally exhausted. Dealing with Equestria´s greatest enemies was such a hard task. Not because they were dangerous, but because they were incredibly emotionally immature.

Throughout the whole journey from the cavern, they had been throwing them subtle threats, underestimating them and have been very hard to cooperate with. Fortunately, their strong desire of defeating Grogar was strong enough for them to collaborate with them. Still, the two mares were tired.

“Maybe we should have taken another potion for relaxation.” Luna told Twilight. “My head hurts so much!”

“Oh, trust me, I would have taken his whole library!” Twilight exclaimed excited.

“I know. Judging by how much fun you had while doing research.” Luna giggled.

“Who wouldn´t? There´s so much knowledge in there! I mean yes, there are dark magic books, we should burn those now that I think about it, but anyway! There are books about medicine, biology, history, literature… How can we have ignored such knowledge for so long?”

“Don´t worry. You´ll study them once this is over. But first, we need to-”

Every creature stopped walking when they saw Canterlot in the horizon. They widened their eyes when they saw ponies and other creatures fighting monsters in the sky, breaking some buildings in the process. Twilight put her hooves on her cheeks.

“Oh no! His monsters are devouring ponies and other creatures already! We need to get there as fast as possible.”

In contrast, Cozy processed the situation more relaxed.

“Hm… Not necessarily.”

“What do you mean?”

“To me it looks like they´re fighting.”

Tirek and Chrysalis narrowed their eyes.

“Wow Cozy! I didn´t notice that. Thank you so much for pointing it out.” Chrysalis said in a sweet yet sarcastic tone.

“Noo… What I mean is that every creature is already revelling.”

“Aaaah…” every creature said in chorus.

“That makes more sense.” Chrysalis commented.

“Are you sure? What makes you think that?” Twilight asked insecure.

Cozy raised her eyebrow.

“Seriously? You ask that? You? The one who always takes our victory away?”

Twilight looked away and smiled shyly.

“It´s very simple. Normally, you and your friends would come to save the day but now that they´re no more,”

Since she put too much enthusiasm in the last sentence, Twilight felt hurt to which Luna responded by glaring at Cozy.

“Careful with what you say.” she threatened quietly while wrapping Twilight with her wing.

Cozy laughed nervously. Chrysalis rolled her eyes and Tirek massaged his forehead.

“As I was saying, since they think that you´re all dead, they have no choice but to do it themselves!”

“I guess that could be possible.” Twilight rubbed her forelegs.

“I´m not trying to cheer you up or make you feel better, I just say this to clarify Cozy´s point.” Tirek raised his hands. “But we started plotting against Grogar just after a few days after Sombra´s defeat. And if he had done all of this while we were at the cavern, it would have taken us a few minutes. Just saying.”

“Nonetheless, we should lend a hoof as soon as possible.” said Luna.

Twilight looked back at Canterlot. She felt fear coming back to her body and so did her insecurities. But if she could have survived Grogar´s deathly strike, then she defeating him wasn´t impossible. She breathed in and out and frowned with determination.

“Alright. Let´s do this.”

She nodded her head while looking at Luna, giving her the sign to ignite her horn. After lighting it, she teleported herself with Twilight and the villains inside the city of Canterlot.

They reappeared in a hidden spot that gave a good sight to one of the castle´s squares, more specifically, the one at the back. It was full of Grogar´s monsters sleeping. When they noticed them, they quickly put their backs against the wall.

“We´re going to have it difficult to access the castle.” Luna bit her lip.

“Ha!” laughed Chrysalis “Please, they´re just asleep. They´re not dangerous if they´re sleeping.”

“But they could be awakened.”

“All we have to do is being quiet and that´s it.”

However, her confidence dropped when they heard the sound of glass breaking by a yellow lightning of magic.

“ALRIGHT! WHEREVER YOU ARE, I´LL FIND YOU AND BURN YOU!” a female voice yelled.

Between the yell and the glass breaking the monsters woke up.

“Never mind what I just said.” Chrysalis mumbled.

“Great!” Cozy complained. “Do you have a plan to get passed those guys?”

Twilight scratched her chin as she thought.

“I have an idea, but you might not like it.”

“What is it?”

“Life bait.”

“Good idea!” Cozy exclaimed excited, but her tone changed when Twilight realized what she meant. “Hey!”

“Come one Cozy, you and Tirek need to create a diversion.”

“What do you want me to do, a musical number?”


“Hey you!” Cozy exclaimed.

The monsters turned their heads towards Cozy.

“Want some good dinner?” she said as she showed Tirek.

Tirek was laying on the ground, his arms crossed, and a serious angry expression on his face.

“Tirek!” she scolded him quietly.

He sighed frustrated.

“Do I really have to do it?”

She nodded angrily.

“Fine. I´m going to kill Twilight for this.” he muttered the last part.

He put an apple on his mouth and crossed his arms again, frowning more than before. The monsters observed them with confused faces.

“You like it? He´s made of juicy meat. He´s biiiig and louuuud!” Cozy started singing the last part. “Biiig and loud. Come on taste this delicious chow! Cause he´s big aaaaaand louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud!”

While Cozy held the last note for a long time, Chrysalis, Luna, and Twilight sneaked into the castle. Thankfully, she managed to take their attention long enough for the changeling and the two alicorns to go unnoticed, as the monsters were salivating at their dinner.

After she finished her song, she panted heavily.

“Where do you keep all that air?” Tirek asked her, impressed by her performance.

“I don´t know. But I think I´ve ran out of it.”

Both Cozy and Tirek walked backwards when they noticed the monsters coming towards them, licking their licks and salivating. However, Tirek was calm. He stretched his neck and opened his mouth in order to absorb all their magic. Once he was done, he smiled in satisfaction while looking at his muscles and kissed them.

“Well, that was a great meal. Right Cozy?”

However, the filly wasn´t there. He entered in slight panic.

“Cozy?” he asked as he looked around. “Cozy?” he sighed frustrated. “She ran away, didn´t she? This filly…” he massaged his temples before leaving the castle´s main square to search for Cozy. “Cozyy? Cozyyy?”

Meanwhile, Twilight, Luna and Chrysalis observed the scene from behind the gate.

“Where did Cozy go?” Twilight asked worried.

“Probably she ran away because she let her feelings get the best of her.” Chrysalis assumed. “Usually happens.”

“Should we wait for them to continue the plan?” Luna asked.

“It would be safer, but we can´t afford to wait for them. We could get discovered before we get the chance to begin with the plan!” Chrysalis replied.

“You sure? I know how much Tirek and Cozy mean to you.” Twilight put her hoof on Chrysalis´.

Naturally, the changeling didn´t take the gesture well. She hit her hoof.

“Don´t you assume what my relationship is with them! But answering to your question, I know they´ll be fine. Cozy will be hiding somewhere safe and Tirek has no problem defending himself.”

“Alright.” said Luna. “You have the potion?”

Chrysalis showed the bottle.

“Here.”

“Then let´s begin.”

Chrysalis transformed into her disguise at the Summer Sun Celebration. She kept the potion on her armour. Twilight held on to Luna to help each other to go up the stairs.

“Ready?” Chrysalis asked them.

Twilight frowned with determination as she and Luna looked at the stairs.

“Ready.”