• Published 6th Nov 2020
  • 5,798 Views, 705 Comments

A Clash of Magic and Steam - law abiding pony



The Fire of Friendship that once united ponykind has all but faded. One thousand years ago, Equestria fractured... those who disagreed with Celestia's rule left under the leadership of Princess Luna to found their own nation, their own way of life.

  • ...
7
 705
 5,798

PreviousChapters Next
38: Family Ties

With the announcement of the war’s end and Luna’s return, celebrations erupted all over Lunaria. Those who could afford it, flocked to Mechiburg. Leading the charge from Tranquility was none other than Emperor Eclipse himself, along with as many advisors as he could justify pulling from the capital. His flagship was just one of many vessels sailing to Mechiburg.

Rainbow Dash lounged on a balcony overlooking the harbor, counting down the days until the emperor arrived. With the war over, and the siege had not progressed to sabotage actions against the city, Mechiburg had little direct need for her. Its garrison was holding matters together, leaving Rainbow and her company to enjoy some much needed rest.

The balcony door opening and closing, along with the sound of glass clinking onto the table next to her signal Applejack’s return along with some more whiskey. Sitting heavily down on another chair, Applejack groaned in relief at being able to sit. “Salt o’ the sea, it’s been a long night.”

“I know how that feels.” Rainbow claimed her glass with a grateful nod and knocked it back. “The Royal Army pulled out this morning, should have cleared the way to the coal fields, luck holding, the city won’t freeze over.”

Applejack huffed with mirth and decided to nurse her drink. “Just got done say’n the same thing with the boys. Funny though ain’t it?”

“What?” Rainbow asked, tilting an ear at her friend. “Living legends walk the earth once more, and we’re already going back to thinking about such mundanity as keeping warm.”

“Maybe Ah’m just still in that war thinkin’ ya know? Like Ah have to be doing somethin’ that needs doing like making sure the ship’s engine is runnin’ smoothly, not sitting on my duff on a balcony trying to relax after a night a’ dockwork.”

Smirking, Rainbow waggled a wing at her. “The swamp’s still there. You can go visit it for old times sake.”

“Pah!” Applejack wiggled into her chair’s cushions for warmth. “A swamp’s the world’s joke against sailors. Not enough land ta cross easily, and too much of it for a proper vessel. Smells better than the harbor at times though.”

Brief laughter flowed before silence fell over the two friends. With the sun rising, both mares felt the tug of sleep. Truly watching the sun rise for the first time in years, Rainbow Dash eventually broke the silence. “You think there will be real peace between us?”

“If Ah were a bettin’ mare? Probably not.” Applejack sipped her drink some more. “The Sisters won’t take forever to get used to the times. Ah say we’ll be right back at it if they let themselves get dragged by the nose by warhawks.”

Grumbling irritably, Rainbow wished she had another drink. “Well it ain’t going to be started by us I can tell ya that. Not so long as Twilight’s brother runs the Royal Army. Twilight will keep putting peace in Luna’s ear every chance she can get away with if things turn that way.”

“Ah ain’t worried ‘bout him.” Applejack craned her neck to check if anyone from the inner room of the inn was within ear shot. “Ah’m more worried ‘bout what the church’ll do. Luna hasn’t exactly been in a hurry to denounce godhood. At least outright.”

“She’s waiting until the emperor gets here, you know that. In the meantime, she has my boys spreading rumors she’s not a goddess. If she does anything bigger that too early some idiot could pull something.”

“Ah get that, but every day she waits, is another day the Church drums ponies up, and those rumors start causin’ friction.” Applejack shivered at the wrong feeling of it all. “Can’t believe we have ta think the Church of all things is going ta be a problem.”

“Aw come on, AJ. Who in their right mind is going to choose the church over Luna?”

Shaking her head, Applejack saw snow clouds on the horizon, and remembered the weather teams were still out of action. So she got up to find a warmer place. “You said it yourself, Dashie. Who in their right mind…”


Pinkie Pie and Silver Vein were touring the streets of Mechiburg in search of a drink. It had been weeks since Luna had revealed herself and the Royal Army had pulled back to more permanent winter quarters. The city was alive again, and the night life was no exception. Gas lamps lit the way and drunken revelry still spilled over into the road from time to time. Carriages had not yet resumed in earnest, so foot traffic took to the empty streets. Pinkie was wearing a new business dress, a cream white number that accented her curls with ruffles. Silver had a suit on, though that was more for the bitter cold than any nod to fashion.

They had recently departed the Mechiburg Chemicals front office. Pinkie was all smiles, and Silver was still trying to take stock of the deal they had just struck. “I must say, Miss Pie, as much as I am in awe at how you got my shopping list filled and in such a short amount of time, I don’t know how we’re going to store so much at Talon Point.”

“Nary a worry, now. I already have big plans.” Pushing herself against him, nearly making Silver trip off of the sidewalk, Pinkie waved a hoof in front of them. “Talon Point is only a foal right now. Think of it. An academy and research center clinging to the mountain. Storage tanks and pumping stations for fresh deliveries done just so to be pleasing to the eye. Students and scholars coming from all over the country just to meet the director of chemistry himself.”

Growing nervous, Silver practically leapt off of her. “You can’t mean me! I’m only an alumni of two years. I can run a laboratory, but not a whole division.”

“Psh, it's not like the place is a center of learning already.” Pinkie Pie was lost in her imagination until her thoughts drifted back to him. “We’ve still got to build a reputation first, and as my brother-in-law, you have to pull your weight in that.”

Nodding in easy agreement, Silver moved along at a good clip. “You’re right of course. And - and I plan on doing just that. It’s just - say…” He stopped as his eyes drifted over the street while actually paying attention. “I know where we are - ah, the old Rock House.” He pointed at a modest business compared to the other restaurants around it. It was true to its name with irregular stones held together with mortar. The sign outside was a pony sized slab, of all things, limestone leaning against a painted stone lime. “This was father’s favorite when he brought us to town on business. The surf and turf is amazing.”

“I’m in the mood for something greasy and fried,” Pinkie giggled. Although a myriad of smells from the competing establishments tickled her nose, sometimes the best food was found in humble places. “Let’s go celebrate our successful deal.”

Within, the Rock House was alive with patrons. The smell of cooked fish and vegetables dominated everything, but a centrally located fireplace gave light and warmth to the rustic furnishings. Wooden tables were clearly old, but well cared for and clean. The floors creaked a bit with oil lamps offering a cozy experience. A bar was located in the back where a bluish gray earth mare tended to the crowding drinkers. The dining area was tactfully separated by an old fashioned split rail fence.

As soon as Pinkie Pie took it all in, a strange feeling washed over her. It was as if she had walked into a story book. Her previous high spirits were blown away by shadows and blistering heat. Yet before she could explode with fear, Silver derailed it all by nudging her. Pinkie snapped back to the present as the hostess tried to get her attention. “Sorry, sorry, I was just thinking-”

The feeling threatened to return upon seeing the hostess was a hauntingly familiar gray earth pony with straight hair. She looked like a shy mare that had to force herself to interact with others due to the job. Pinkie broke eye contact after wincing in pain.

“Welcome to the Rock House,” the hostess bowed. The mare’s gaze lingered on Pinkie Pie for a moment too long before she shook herself and extended her greeting to Silver. “I - I’ll be your hostess and server: Marbline. This way please.”

Silver had taken notice of both mares’ reactions. He held his peace until they were seated and were left alone to peruse the menu. It wasn’t a big menu, just scraping by with a dozen entries, but it served them well. Silver already knew what he wanted, and watched Pinkie Pie try to recollect herself by focusing on lunch. “Are you alright? Do you know her?” he asked carefully, still not entirely sure how her mind worked.

“Just a headache, Im probably just hungry,” Pinkie tried to laugh it off, and forced herself to focus on the menu and not try to track down the hostess. “But no. I’ve never been to Mechiburg until we came through last time. Let’s just focus on lunch, yes?”

The forcefulness of the question surprised him. As if to completely throw him for a loop, Pinkie did one scan of the menu before putting it back down. “Did I ever say the spaghetti here is legendary? I want spaghetti and gosh golly gee willikers there’s none on the menu.” She abruptly got up. “It’d be rude if we both left.” One of her eyes was narrowed, as if she was still fighting off a headache without touching herself. “You get your surf and turf and I’ll see you later at the hotel, yes-yes?”

“Ahh - s-sure. Try South Street on the corner on McGrag. There was a bistro there last time I was here. The Stale Bread I think it was called.”

“Perfect.” Pinkie looked to the bar where their waitress had pulled the bartender aside and were talking up a storm. Panic and unwelcome headaches surfaced, pushing the aristocrat to depart in haste. “See you later then.”

Craning his neck to watch Pinkie close to run out of the door, Silver was left deeply befuddled. Just what was that all about?

“Silver, my boy, sometimes a question needs not to be asked for answers to land on your lap.” His grandfather’s advice rooted him to his seat as he waited to be served. He didn’t have to wait long before the bartender appeared at his table with a desperate look on her face before addressing him. “Hey, guy, who was that, that was with you?”

The bartender’s gravely voice made her sound older than she looked. Which was quite the feat given her gaunt face as if she had a history of malnutrition. Silver Vein remained cautious. “I’m sorry, but I haven’t the slightest idea who you are. Why should I tell you that?”

He spotted the hostess had been dragged away by work, but was stealing glances his way every chance she got. As for the bartender right in front of him, she looked like she’d sooner beat the answers out of him than remain calm. “You!” Fearing her outburst might be seen as her calling out a thief, she hastily bowed to ward off potential onlookers. “Pardon, sir. The name’s Limeria Stone. The - the pony you were with looked a lot like my lost sister.”

“Is that so?” His curiosity peaked, Silver abandoned all intentions of eating and gestured to Pinkie’s old seat. “Then please, sit and tell me what you can.”


Later that night, Twilight Sparkle was utterly at a loss. Luna had tasked her with writing a speech and all Twilight had managed to pen was ‘The’. The grumbling over her desk grew by the minute until she cried out in exasperation while crumpling the page and throwing into the fireplace. “Why me?! Tell me to make a machine to move a thing from here to there or blow something up, I’m your mare. But don’t tell me to write a speech in front of a church!!” She cast a leering eye towards townhall, and an evil plan started to form. “Why should I write a speech when there are plenty of more qualified ponies barely a hop skip and a jump away? Delegation my dear, Watson!” Jumping to her hooves and making for the door, Twilight already had several ideas on how to wrangle up a proper speech writer.

Yet the door opened first, revealing her husband. She had to backpedal a bit to come to a stop as he smiled warmly and bowed a bit. “Ah, how goes the work, my beautiful star?”

Inwardly blushing, as she had never truly been the focus of such flattery before Silver, Twilight straightened up to look her best. “Badly, my charming knight. I’m off to get a proper speech writer.”

“Before you go,” he said as she started to step aside so he could enter. “You haven’t seen Pinkie Pie anywhere have you?”

“Last I knew, she was with you. Did something happen?” The lack of urgent distraught on his face kept Twilight from growing concerned.

“She was, but - well, I’ll just come out with it. It’s strongly possible we had a run in with her original family.”

“Her or-” The speech was instantly forgotten, and Twilight ushered him inside to avoid any gossipers. “Hurry!” Once he was in, she bolted the door locked and dragged him over into the central sitting area away from the exit and any windows. “Tell me everything!”


Growing up in the Light household left Pinkie with no taste to drown her sorrows, but she could certainly eat them away given enough time. She had found a bakery that had opened early during the celebrations, so it was well stocked for her.

A stack of four pie tins sat next to Pinkie Pie as she contemplated if she could stuff another pie in her maw. The latest pie sat there in front of her, her spoon dangling precariously on her plate. She was sitting on an elevated boardwalk above the street. Revelry had died down in the area after the weeks had passed, though the parties were still going strong near town square.

Pinkie might have stayed there for hours, trying not to remember had a familiar purple mare not claimed a seat next to her table. Even in her present state, her adopted sister always warmed her spirits, yet all she could muster was a feeble grin. “Hey, Twilly.”

Twilight had only a thick dress and scarf to keep out the cold, her armor nowhere to be seen. Sitting close to her sister, Twilight at least had a stronger smile. “Hey, Pinkie. Straight hair is not a good look for you.”

“Is it?” Pinkie pushed a lock of hair away to study it, and sure enough it was straighter than an arrow. “I guess Silver told you what happened.”

“He did.” Twilight rested a comforting wing on Pinkie’s shoulder. “But I’d like to hear the story from you too.”

Looking back towards her half-eaten pumpkin pie, Pinkie winced as she dredged those painful memories back up. “Ever since I woke up from being striped, I’ve occasionally had nightmares. Fires, shouting, a bleeding mare holding me close, somepony calling my old name.” She closed her eyes tightly. “My name is the only thing that I can clearly remember. The faces are obscured, but I still remember my name being called.” Tears leaked through, which encouraged Twilight into hugging her tightly wings and all.

“So all this time, you lied about your nightmares?” Twilight’s accusation had more chiding annoyance than bite to them.

It didn’t have the desired effect of derailing Pinkie’s mournful thoughts. Instead, Pinkie hugged her right back, as if she were the last thing keeping her from falling off a cliff. “I didn’t want you to feel guilty. If I pretended I didn’t remember anything, You’d be alright. You’ve already done so much for me, I didn’t want to burden you further.”

Pulling back to meet her in the eye, Twilight still held firm with her wings. “Pinkie, I love you. You know you could have shared that with me.”

Rubbing her tear stained face with a fetlock, Pinkie still felt utterly out of sorts, but her sister’s encouragement buoyed her spirits. “Thank you, but it was my - I guess I was just being stupid, huh?”

“As if I haven’t run on stupid ideas more times than I can count.”

“Like walking through the ruins of Manehatten?” Pinkie offered. A light giggle escaped her, and the mare’s hair started to curl once more.

“We made the best of it,” Twilight shot back harmlessly. Hoping the time was right, Twilight pressed on. “Feeling well enough to see your family?”

You’re my family,” Pinkie instantly rebuked, her gaze hardening. “I don’t even know them.”

Twilight let go and made to leave. “And you never will if you don’t talk to them.”

Her hair falling straight again, Pinkie reluctantly stood up to trudge after her. “And what if they’re a bunch of ne'er-do-wells?”

“Then you can at least lay the question to rest.” Twilight walked past the entrance to find the two soldiers Rainbow had assigned to her were still at their posts, holding onto her armor.


The mares didn’t have to walk far. Silver had talked Pinkie’s family into joining him hours later at a grand hall where balls and other scheduled soirées were held. While the widespread revelry gripped the city’s common folk, the aristocrats were already cutting things short to return to work. The hall’s client list had dried up a few days ago, and were more than happy to accept the pittance he offered to have some privacy for a few hours.

Growing more hesitant with each step, Pinkie stalled just on the other side of the massive oak doors separating her from them. The door’s push plate in front of her bore her warped reflection. Her thoughts raced. She didn’t know them, nor did they know her. Twilight was all she needed for a family, and her old one had gone on just fine without her. Pinkie already had a mountain of things to take care of once they returned to the new world, why add more to it? She should just tell Twilight it was all a big mistake and-”

As if sensing Pinkie’s thoughts, Twilight rested an armored wing on her. “Pinkie, if you don’t do this, the ‘what ifs’ will claw at you forever. No matter what happens in there, you’ll always be family to me.”

Closing in to nuzzle each other, Pinkie felt her nerves calm down. “I can do this.” Pinkie separated and dusted herself off to look the part of a proper lady, an act she and Twilight did together. Once they felt presentable, Pinkie took a slow breath and stepped through the door.

Seated at a table only a few meters away was Silver and the mares. All three stood up as soon as they saw Pinkie walk inside. Two of them Pinkie recalled from the Rock House. The last was a humorless mare almost to the point of being neutrally dour. Pinkie would have taken the last one to be the mother if she didn’t look to be close to the same age as the others. If there was one thing that surprised Pinkie the most it was how subdued they all acted.

As Pinkie walked up to them, the mare with pale purple fur took the lead. “As I live and breathe, you were right Marble.”

“I told you so,” the meekest of the bunch said through a lock of long gray hair.

The first grumped before speaking again. “You were taken real young. You probably don’t remember any of us, do you?”

Pinkie wanted to look towards Twilight, but kept her gaze locked on the three mares. It was eerie, like staring into a mirror. Granted none of them shared Pinkie’s vibrant colors, but she could see the familiar eyes, jaw and cheek bones, even their manes fell the same way hers did. There was no doubt about it, these mares were family, possibly as close as sisters to her. “All I can remember are… blurred faces. But your voice is - familiar.” She glanced behind them and saw that Silver Vein was tacky behind everyone. “I suppose you’ve all been told, but manners are manners. I go by Pinkie Pie these days.”

“That we were. Name’s Limera Heidi Stone, but just call me Limestone.” Limestone’s voice and mannerisms were gruff, reminding Pinkie of a jaded Rainbow Dash.

The painfully stoic mare was next, “I’m Maudiline Catherine Stone. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you,” if she truly felt any joy, her voice certainly didn’t betray it.

“That’s - wow.” Pinkie got an idea from the first mare. “Can I just call you Maud?”

Without so much as a blink, the mare nodded. “Everypony already does.”

Limestone cackled before eyeing the thus far silent one. The move jolted the pale gray mare forward. Like her sisters, she had perfectly straight hair and muted colors. “I’m Marbalina Daphne Stone. Just Marble Stone is fine.”

Uncomfortable silence fell over everyone as no one knew what to do next. For all of Pinkie’s talent for socializing, she felt utterly lost.

Silver lightly stomped the granite floor and spoke with a chipper tone. “Well now that introductions are done, how about we get some refreshments and catch up with each other, yes?”

“A grand idea,” Twilight echoed. While Silver rolled a cart over, Twilight briefly introduced herself before ushering everyone to sit. “Miss Limestone, why don’t we move on to what happened that dreadful night and go from there?”

“Yeah. The Unshackled said that'd be a good first move.” Speaking as everyone claimed a seat and Silver doled out some watered down lemonade, the only thing the ball had on short notice. “I don’t know how much you remember, but Ma and you were at the mine when the slavers hit us. Paw and the rest of us were on the other side of town at the smelter. The mine was the first place they struck, hoping to trap all the miners inside so the rest of them could focus on foalnapping the townsfolk and then go back for the miners. Paw always said he wanted to go back and save you two, but with the three of us, he couldn’t bring himself to risk it. So we fled to the garrison. By the time the troops swept through, you, Ma, and fifty others were gone.” Limestone grew heated, gritting her teeth and trying to drag a groove into the wooden table with a hoof. “Bastards ruined us beyond just taking the two of you. Ma was the one with the Rockterate. Without her, we had to sell the mine for pennies.”

Maud put a restraining hoof on Limestone. An act she shirked off, only for Maud to get up and use both forelegs to press Limestone back into her seat. “You realize Luna named Lady Twilight as personally responsible for freeing her, yes? We owe her much even without our sister being here.”

Limestone scoffed dismissively. “And freed Celestia if you remember the news interview.” Limestone turned her irritated gaze towards Twilight. “Sure the reporter didn’t exactly spell it out, but you’d have to be an idiot to miss it.”

Pinkie beat Maud in rebuking Limestone by replying in a dangerous low voice. “Speak that way about my sister in front of me again, and I will ruin you. I don’t care if you are blood. I didn’t need you an hour ago, and I certainly don’t now.”

Marble shoved herself between Limestone and the table as a way to forcibly break her sisters’ eye contact with each other. “Please, a thousand apologies. Lime’s always been a firebrand, and after what happened to you and mom, she’s only gotten worse.”

Reluctantly allowing Maud to plant her back into her seat, Limestone was caught between embarrassment for such a show and felt wounded Pinkie would actually do that. Shame made her avoid looking at either noble for the time being.

“I will reserve judgment for the moment,” Twilight stated firmly. “The war has taxed us all, and you have all suffered a fright from facing a siege. From what I’ve been told, Shining Armor’s sieges are… brutally effective.”

Pinkie Pie certainly sympathized with Marble and Maud at least, but her heart couldn’t connect to them.

With tempers cooling down, Maud worded her query carefully. “If it is not too much to ask, do you remember anything of that night?”

Closing her eyes tight, Pinkie tried to control her hyperventilation whenever she tried to recall such memories. “I don’t really remember much of that night. Just panic, fire, angry voices and crying. The first real thing I remember is waking up in bed at school wondering what happened yesterday. I ahhh -” Pinkie had only ever told this to Twilight. Anyone else was a bridge too far. “It’s where I was trained on how to be a personal servant.”

“A slave you mean,” Limestone rebuked more harshly at the word than the speaker. “I’m surprised you still can’t call it what it was.”

Her headache was pounding now, and in that haze, Pinkie took Lime’s words as an attack on Twilight, and that was one thing that could flare her temper as high as the stars themselves. She’d heard it all before during business deals or meetings. There she had to play it off or be polite with her displeasure. But not here. Pinkie’s face and voice darkened and she jabbed a hoof at Limestone. “Maybe the others were slaves, but don’t you dare presume how it was between Twilight and me. Our family may have ripped apart that night, but Twilight threw her life away to save me and some other red stripes! She wasn’t some miner family, her brother married Queen Cadenzia herself, so don’t you dare lump Twilight in with the rest or I’ll-”

Twilight pressed Pinkie’s hoof to the table. “Sis. Please. She didn’t mean anything by it.”

The pleading was like a wet blanket on the fire of Pinkie’s anger. Shivering some stress away, the earth mare pulled back. “My apologies.”

Limestone was less sure about how much she could control her mouth, so she opted to keep it shut and nodded. Marble Stone was apprehensive about speaking up, but with Maud keeping a close eye on Lime, it fell to her.

“So umm, as you… put it, we’re miners by blood but with Ma gone and the town in flames we had to move east. Paw never could get somepony to partner up with a new mine. At least that’s what he told us. After running one for so long, he didn’t want us working for somepony else’s mine because he didn’t trust anypony to treat us right. So we ended up in Mechiburg. I don’t really remember how we came to own the Rock House, but the city’s been kind to us. We earned enough money to put Maud through university to get her Rockterate.”

Twilight’s ear twitched and her mind started working up an idea. Ultimately it was Pinkie who spoke up first. “Where is father, by the way?”

“Dead most likely,” Limestone grumbled, her tongue proving too volatile to stay still for long. “It was his idea to scrap every penny we could to put Maud through school. I’ll admit it, she’s a lot smarter than I am. So we all busted our tails so she could do it. But the work and grief over Ma… It got to him in the end. Some nag introduced him to an opium den.” Limestone and Marble’s faces grew bitter, with Maud remaining stoic. “It wasn’t long before he couldn’t pay his visits there with his own money. He started taking from the restaurant and our own share of the pay, claiming we were coming up short.” Limestone ground her teeth with reddened eyes. “The House was packed all the time, and we were still losing money because she kept dragging him to the dens.” Limestone punched the air, wishing she had a face to hit. “I ended up beating that nag within an inch of her life while Marble tried to sober him up. By then he had already taken too much and we were going to lose the House.”

Marble laid a sympathetic hoof on her sister before she chimed in with deep melancholy. “To make it up to us and pay off Maud’s tuition that year, he indentured himself. When the war kicked off, his contract was bought up by the army. Haven’t seen a letter from him in months.”

Maud patted her sister’s back, sharing her sister’s growing sorrow, but as always, she barely showed it. “I made a small shrine to his honor in the Rock House when I came back.”

“He tried so hard, he really did,” Limestone added hastily. “He went nights at a time eating the scraps left by the customers so we could have full meals. Everypony has a limit.”

Pinkie was left in emotional shock. She knew she should share in their mourning, but all she felt was sympathy for a stranger’s misfortune. She hung her head, unsure of what to do or how to feel. That alone terrified her and to her bones.

Trying to take a page from his grandfather, Silver Vein tried to say something uplifting. “Indeed we all do, but I must ask,” he turned to Maud. “As far as I know, Mechiburg doesn’t host a university with a Rockterate program. Did you graduate?”

Nodding with a flicker of visible pride, Maud remained outwardly steady. “I was the valedictorian of my class. Although, more than half dropped out to join the fight. If it wasn’t for all the sacrifices my family had gone through to put me through university, I’d have gone too.”

Seizing on that, Silver mimicked some of his grandfather’s grandiose posturing. “Then your family’s sacrifice was not in vain. Just as our foremothers stood strong against Celestia’s neglect, you three are proof that our strength has not faded, nay, I’d say you surpass even them!”

While Maud was not visibly moved, a proud smile pulled on Marble’s lips, and even Limestone’s scowl diminished. “Ya ain’t your grandpappy, but I’ll give you marks for trying.”

“He’s got quite the charm if you let him loose,” Twilight commented with a wink at him. “Begging your pardon on this, but what does a Rockterate allow you to do, exactly? I gather you need one to own a mine, but is that all?”

Maud shook her head. “Uh uh. Anypony can own a mine. But if you have a Rockterate, you can make legal prospecting claims for all things solid, liquids, and gasses. I was also taught how to run a mine properly, and work hazards. We’re presently saving up so I can go on a prospecting expedition so we can open our own mine one day.”

“It was Paw’s dream,” Marble said with forlorn sadness.

“And what Ma would have wanted,” Limestone added. “Even if I’m an old wrinkled crone, I want to strike the earth once more.”

“I see. One moment please.” Twilight pulled Pinkie aside to whisper. “Pinkie, how are you feeling?”

Through it all, the younger mare couldn’t think straight with her migraine, and was caught between feeling immense loss and frozen grief that she didn’t know how to thaw. “I don’t know.” She wanted to laugh. It always made the painful past seem less daunting, but today, she found it impossible to do so.

That was never a good sign. Twilight yearned to see her curly, perpetually cheery sister return. “We’ll be going home before too much longer. Do you want to get to know them better, or leave them be?”

Pinkie tried searching herself for an answer. Anything that felt right, but when one reply touched her lips, another thought caused her to go quiet again. All she could squeak out was another, “I don’t know.” She tried to start laughing, but couldn’t do anything more than singular ‘ha’s’ before stopping.

Twilight’s ears wilted at the miserable shape Pinkie was in. She was just as lost as to how to help. A few moments later, Silver walked over to speak in confidence. “Pinkie, I think it would be best if you stepped out to take in some air.”

Slowly nodding, Pinkie stood up. “Yes - yes I think that’s a good idea.”

As Pinkie walked off, Twilight made to join her, only for Silver to tug her wing back. “She needs to be alone.”

Pinkie was too out of sorts to notice she was alone, and Twilight tugged her wing free. “Why? She’s liable to get lost or worse.”

“It’s something I learned from grand dad. If you want to help her best, leave her be for now, and let your bodyguards watch over her.”

Looking back to her sister, Twilight grumbled fiercely, but ultimately acquiesced. “You know more than you’ve been letting on.”

“Not exactly. Please, I’ll explain what I know.” Understanding the other mares would need to hear an explanation as well, Silver sat back down.

Twilight itched to follow after Pinkie, but she knew the escorts Rainbow assigned her would follow after Pinkie given her state. “This better be good.”

Not wanting to anger his wife further, Silver was quick to explain himself. “To understand what she’s going through, you have to know a couple of things about the Unshackled. Red slaves are passengers within their own bodies. They can see, hear, and feel, but have no control. However, if they’re lucky enough to be freed, they often times are their old selves, save for what damage living that horror does to them. Largely because their memories from before enslavement remain untouched. That, and reds are typically adults or at least teenagers to begin with.

“For the looser chains, it’s different. Ponies like Pinkie often don’t feel any connection to their old lives or family, even if they’re reintroduced. As far as they’re concerned, nothing before being striped matters to them. Some even wish to return to Equestria, as that is the only life they know.” Silver leaned in towards his wife. “The fact that Pinkie Pie is so out of sorts is a good sign. Her old self was never truly gone, only buried.”

“So what can we do to help?” Twilight looked towards the trio of sisters. “You wish to help, yes?”

Limestone slammed the table hard enough to crack it. “Damn straight. She’s blood, and Ma and Paw would have wanted her back.” Marble and Maud echoed the sentiment.

“That’s good,” Silver chimed in. “Because she’ll need you three to help bring her old feelings to the surface. Do you know how old she was when she was taken?”

“I believe she was four years old,” Maud stated, receiving no argument.

“As rough as it is to say, that’s good.” Silver paused to try and make that sound less clinical, but he never got a chance.

There was no question in Twilight’s mind on what to do. She looked to the Stones with firm iron. “Then it looks like you three will be coming with us back to the new world.”

“I appreciate that, however…” Marble started while nervously rubbing a foreleg. “Helping Pinkie is important, but we don’t have the money to set up a new life over there.”

Before Twilight could speak, Limestone stomped the crack in the table. “I’ll be damned before I take a job as your house staff. I’d rather beg on the street than sweep your floors.”

Twilight bore it with growing irritation. She has the nerve to think I’m stupid enough to make them house staff while their sister stands above them? Twilight sighed darkly at Limestone, and adopted a bitter tone. “I was thinking about something a bit more… useful.” Twilight tapped the table near Maud with a wing, she at least held Twilight’s respect. “Do you recognize this metal?” Most ponies believed it was polished steel, yet Maud spoke after a single glance and hearing the sound of the armor against wood.

“It’s aluminum.” Raising a single surprised eyebrow, “a very ostentatious display of wealth, if it was common enough for most ponies to be familiar with it.”

Recovering the wing, Twilight was pleased, though it didn’t pierce her scowl. “It’s not a display. If you’ve been following Pinkie in the news, then you should know about my armor.”

“What are you getting at?” Limestone barked with resentment. She didn’t care if Pinkie defended her or not, Twilight still looked the part of a slavemaster to her. Which made Pinkie’s defense of Twilight all the more biting to Limestone.

There was only so much insult Twilight was willing to accept, so she ignored Limestone entirely to focus on Maud and Marble. “I have a number of projects I had to put on hold when I went on the expedition to free Luna. Chief among them I plan on making aluminum cheap. Dirt cheap, and I need a reliable source of bauxite to do it. I had been planning on starting some mining concerns on the trip home, but with you… I propose that you form a subsidiary company under Sparkle Industrial. I fund your prospecting expedition in the new world along with the start up capital for three ventures. A bauxite mine, an oil drilling operation, and one mine of your choice entirely. You, Maud, will be the overseer of it all and can run the mines as you see fit, provided I never hear of a miners’ strike or legal issues. In exchange, I’m your first privileged customer and I receive an appropriate percentage of gross profits. Once you prove you can run the operations effectively, I’ll be willing to entertain further operations.”

Upon hearing that, Marble gasped and her eyes widened in stunned delight. “You would do that?!”

“I would.” Twilight stood up as well. “Pinkie may have been born into your family, but I adopted her into mine. If your presence helps her, then that is a labor I am willing to bear. Think it over and come back to me at the Sweets Hotel when you’re ready to hammer out the numbers, then we can finalize the contract once we arrive at Tranquility.”

“Wait!” Limestone called out, still recovering from the enormity of the offer. “What happens if you’re the reason for the strikes, huh? You going to rob the mine out from under us?”

Maud glared at her elder sister. “You certainly have a knack for diplomacy don’t you?”

“Oh come off it,” Limestone chided back. “Don’t tell me she’s not following the one hundred and eleventh rule by roping us into this.”

Huffing dismissively, Twilight flicked her nose up at Limestone. “If my displeasure with you was high enough to warrant sabotage, I would have dealt with you personally long before that point.” Twilight stood up to leave, causing Silver to do the same. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to catch up with Pinkie Pie. Good day,” she added with distaste.

She departed the hall with her husband in tow, and once they were outside, she was glad one of Rainbow’s soldiers was indeed missing. Using the bitter cold air to cool her temper, she cleared her throat. “Silver, dear, remind me to ensure Limestone governs the mining venture furthest from Talon Point. I have no need for such abrasiveness.”

“Naturally. I doubt you’ll need the reminder though. A pity they probably wouldn’t be willing to leave her here. I thought Marble and Maud were at least amicable.”

Twilight briefly instructed the soldier to lead on to where Pinkie had wandered off to. “I feel you’re right. Thank the stars adopting Pinkie doesn’t mean Limestone is part of the house.”

Author's Note:

Next chapter is already on the way. But for now, place your bets!

Will Limestone stop being so sour? Will marble see her value? Would Maud marry Spock? Will Pinkie discover Advil? Has Twilight thought of a baby name yet? You might potentially get answers at some point. Who knows, right?

PreviousChapters Next