• Published 6th Nov 2020
  • 5,766 Views, 705 Comments

A Clash of Magic and Steam - law abiding pony



The Fire of Friendship that once united ponykind has all but faded. One thousand years ago, Equestria fractured... those who disagreed with Celestia's rule left under the leadership of Princess Luna to found their own nation, their own way of life.

  • ...
7
 705
 5,766

PreviousChapters Next
12: Putting One's Foot in the Door

Days flew by as Twilight completed her grim task of writing down and explaining everything she knew of Shining Armor’s strategies and reforms. While Pinkamena had been allowed to come and go as she pleased, the security detail assigned to her thus far had kept Twilight under unofficial house arrest until her notes were complete.

Currently, Twilight was humming to herself as she primped in front of a mirror. A distraction is what she needed to get her mind off her family, and she was expecting to hear from the Throne soon to lift her house arrest.

“Are you sure you can’t just buy a few new dresses?” Pinkamena stated while holding a mirror behind Twilight so she could inspect her mane properly. The earth mare’s brow was a wrinkled mess with worry. “You never did like day-tripping without at least a smock.”

Staring at herself with a stern gaze, focused mostly on her featherless wings, Twilight squared herself up and turned away from the main mirror. “This should be my first day out and about in my new home. A proper mare is bold and fearless. A proper Lady must also look her best. And since I cannot afford to melt bits on a new wardrobe, and buying affordable ones would not befit my station, I am really only left with one option.”

Twilight absently reached at a nearby nightstand for a bottle of perfume, but only grabbed air. A bitter reminder that it all had been lost to the sea. “Besides, the nobles here are not above going bereft of clothes so I can at least do the same.” She briefly wondered if she should wear her armor. It was common enough among Equestrian nobility for looking important if not exactly their own protection. Applejack didn’t say it was passé, but I can’t expect her to know aristocratic fashion.

In the end she opted for what she had, Rarity’s hat. It had a timeless design to it, not hinging itself on any one Equestrian fashion, but focused squarely on complimenting it’s intended recipient. Twilight played a wing-finger across the gear-shaped brim before donning the article and taking a look at the mirror to make sure it sat properly. Even without a complementing dress, the hat was enough to present Twilight as nobility with ease.

“At least let me come with you, my lady.” Pinkamena set the mirror down with a pleased look at Twilight’s choice. “I haven’t been learning the lay of the land just to see you get lost or worse.”

The ‘worse’ part made her reconsider the armor. “I’m just going for a jog… But perhaps-”

Banging on the window drew their attention. It being a former griffin embassy, the upper levels all had entry points as well. Twilight glanced at Pinkamena. “Are we expecting somepony?”

“Could be one of the guards,” the tense earth mare suggested optimistically. “But they always used the ground floor…”. Pinkamena started reaching for her bladed gauntlets.

“Well the window faces the front, they’d stop anypony who was unwanted.” Twilight jittered a bit when the knocking came harder this time. “Coming!”

Ignoring Pinkamena’s insistent protests, Twilight marched up to the window and threw it open to find a blue furred and prismatic maned thestral mare in waiting for her in the crisp dress uniform of the air corps. Standing at stiff attention the lean, tired-eyed soldier locked eyes with Twilight. “Lieutenant Rainbow Dash reporting. I’m to be your,” she added with grinding teeth, “security officer.”

“Security officer?” Twilight parroted while tilting her head.

“She doesn’t need you,” Pinkamena chimed in from behind Twilight. “She’s got me!”

“The formality’s out of the way,” Rainbow said, suddenly dropping her posture for a more relaxed one. She first leveled a grumbling scowl at Pinkamena. “According to the law, that ain’t good enough.” She refocused on Twilight and managed to avoid wincing at a loud spark coming off the pegacorn’s horn. “Any scholar with critical military information, which includes you, is assigned a military security detail until which time your secrets are no longer considered actually secret.”

Twilight leveled a disbelieving stare of her own. “Which shouldn’t apply to me since all my secrets are already known by Equestria anyway. This is just an excuse to keep tabs on me.”

“And that surprises you?” Rainbow shrugged uncaringly. “Believe me, I didn’t want this either, but the Throne gets what the Throne wants.”

Twilight’s eyes moved to the single gold bar emblems on Rainbow’s collar. “It seems the Throne is generous as well.”

Rainbow's keen vision knew where Twilight was looking. “Don’t remind me.” Shaking off the mood before any treasonous thoughts could manifest, Rainbow stood a bit stiffer. “At any rate, I need to know your morning hours since I have to take that shift personally. My three subordinates will take the others.”

Morning hours? Twilight cocked an eyebrow, only to drop it a moment later. Of course. She means if I want to be nocturnal. Clearing her throat, Twilight looked out into the late morning skies. Between the month-long voyage and the week spent writing out her notes to the Emperor, it had been too long since she had the time to bask in the sunlight. “I’m sorry. As much as I understand the need to assimilate into Lunarian society, I don’t think I’m quite ready to give up daylight.”

A bit of a scowl tugged at Rainbow’s lips. “Figured as much. ‘S why I took the time to adjust my sleep schedule as well.”

A friendly, disarming grin crossed Twilight. “Well then, I’m glad I didn’t put your efforts to waste.” A sudden fanciful notion struck Twilight. She turned away to think a moment longer before at last addressing childhood friend. “Pinkamena, this constitutes quite the opportunity.” She cantered over to the safe in the bedroom wall. A fanciful device she took great joy in opening due to being so much more complex than similar devices in Equestria. “Do you remember how we used to sneak you into theaters by claiming I was deaf or blind?”

Pinkamena started giggling madly behind a hoof. “I remember you getting caught not being blind when you flinched away from the flying bits of watermelon.”

Rich laughter filled air, filling the room with a warmth the high sun couldn’t quite provide. Selecting a bag of slips, Twilight shut the drawer and returned to Pinkamena’s side. “I want you to do something very important.”

“Name it,” Pinkamena requested earnestly, assuming a change in plans.

Twilight raised Pinkamena’s right hoof and pressed the purse into it. “I want you to have a day all to yourself.”

A frown started to form on the pink one as her ears started to droop. “But we were going to the foundry appointment Applejack scheduled for us. Then three other ones after that.”

“I still am,” Twilight replied with a patient smile. “But you’ve been working so hard since the day we met. Let alone since we got here. Take a day for yourself, this should be more than enough slips for lunch, dinner, and some quality entertainment. Some theater, opera, or even a stallion if you like,” Twilight teased with a wink.

Going red in the face, Pinkamena flustered a bit while Rainbow cackled from the balcony. “But we should go together later, in celebration if the appointment goes well. We have to be careful with our slips.”

A sigh escaped Twilight before she rested her forehead against Pinkamena’s own, tilted just enough so her horn wouldn’t get in the way. Both mares closed their eyes at the touch. Her cherished friend had always been her rock. It's my turn to be yours.. “Pinkamena, every time we went to have fun, you always tried to defer to what I wanted to do. Even when I told you to pick something for yourself. It’s time you go and find out what you like to see and do.”

It took Pinkamena a long moment to bring herself to pull away from Twilight’s touch. Some of the sparks had frazzled bits of her curly mane, but it was of no concern. “As you wish, my lady.” She turned towards Rainbow Dash with a steely gaze. “You won’t let anypony hurt her, will you?”

Huffing at the suggestion, Rainbow flourished a draw and holster with her pistol. “‘S’long as my orders are to keep her safe, ain’t nopony going to do a damn thing while I’m nearby. Or my boys for that matter.”


“And I’m telling you, we can’t afford to wait!” Shining Armor growled while slamming a hoof on the war table. Arrayed before him was a detailed map of the continent with the current border between Equestria and Lunaria at the center. Encircling the table were other military leaders, ranging from his fellow generals, to the admirals of both the navy and air corps. The largest chair was reserved for Queen Corona, but age forced her absence, so Sunset Shimmer sat in her place.

Of those present, only Sunset Shimmer and Stratus General White Feather had better than neutral expressions. Both the general and navy admiral were fuming at the upstart.

“And I say we must!” Lord Admiral Salt Spray replied with tense irritation. “We only have fifteen first rate ships to the Lunarians’ sixteen. But the bigger issue are the rumors they’re launching ships called ‘ironclads’ soon. We have no chance of enacting blockades this time around.”

“That armor is not yet a major issue,” Shining Armor rebuked with a wave of a hoof. “You approved the rusting spell-shot I forwarded to your desk months ago, yes?”

An exasperated grumbled crept out of Salt Spray. He slowly nodded, but didn't look pleased. “Aye. Not that it did anything during test firings. Even if the spells did hold up against the interference field long enough to hit, the spells did little more than cause rust spots. Unless your whole plan was to run up their costs in fresh paint.”

One of the other generals chimed in with the barest hint of a smirk. “Perhaps taxing more of Lunaria’s painters will keep them from making more of those blasphemous cubist renditions of the Sisters.”

A grim scowl fell over Shining Armor, with him straining to keep himself outwardly calm. “Did you conduct the tests at sea, as I instructed?”

Salt Spray’s brow furrowed, a shadow of irritation fell over his face. “Your proposal made no mention of needing that condition.”

“My copy of it did.” All eyes went to Sunset Shimmer who was none too pleased. “But then again, I don’t let secretaries handle such sensitive information. You would do well to make sure your staff has their priorities focused on Equestria’s defense, not participating in your pointless rivalries.”

“We’re wasting our time blathering about,” stated the calm, yet confident Field Marshal Flash Baton. He was a unicorn of low birth, but he hid it well with a practiced Canterlotian accent and impeccable grooming. “The navy has always been the least important route to victory against Lunaria.” Salt Spray glowered at the Field Marshal, but didn’t lash out due to still being embarrassed by his staff’s indiscretions. “The Lunaria capital may have fled to the new world, but its heartland still resides here. The last war and the long peace has convinced most of their citizens to remain on the continent, and that will be their undoing. That being said,” he focused on Shining Armor. “The latest census indicates we have at least one or two more years before the recruitable population has rebounded from the losses of the last war. If this next conflict will be as bloody as you claim it will be, then we must wait.”

Shining Armor went through the notes he had in front of him and tossed a page towards Baton. “That’s not necessary. According to Lunaria’s own census information from two years ago, we have more ponies at service age by half. The sooner we move, the better.”

Curling a lip, Baton inspected the page for a few moments. “Can you be truly confident this information is accurate? Perhaps your spies were compromised or the data was doctored before it could be sent to you. Casualties among the enemy were not so high during the last war. We, however, were bloodied, badly.”

“This bickering is hiding the real cause for your concern, General,” Sunset Shimmer interjected with her brand of sharp wit. She let the silence hang a bit, but never let her eyes wander off of Shining Armor. “You really think your sister is that much of a threat?”

“The sister?” Salt Spray chided. He glowered at the young stallion, derisive mirth heavy on his lips. “She was a lackadaisical scholar. Any information she had about machines, the Lunarians would already possess ten times over. That traitor’s beneath us.”

“I recall you saying much the same about my reforms until the Queen forced you to look at evidence to the contrary.” Shining Armor ground his teeth as he seethed in his own fury, but it was the air admiral, Summer Heat, that cut in before Shining could answer Sunset.

“A soldier can not fight without support from home. Food, supplies, weapons… We tend to forget who really holds the power to wage war.” Summer Heat shook his head and looked to the queen’s protégé. “As for the general’s personal attachments, we must consider whatever damage Twilight Sparkle can inflict has already happened and move on. How close are we to sustaining a war footing?”

Sunset Shimmer tapped her chin with eyes closed for a few moments. “The Lunarians would take notice, but we can mobilize within five months, ten if we want to surprise them a bit. I can also guarantee the economy can sustain two years of war before rationing is needed. Five if we ration from the start. After that, matters are up to success in battle. If all of you manage to keep the war off Equestrian soil, we could sustain a war for almost a decade before rationing will become intolerable to the people.” She paused a bit, sorrow tinting her voice and a pall fell over her. “But that’s assuming the public will stomach a war in the near future.”

“Aye,” Baton agreed with a bitter tone. “The queen’s on her deathbed, but she’s lingering longer than the doctors care to explain. Celestia save her soul.”

Summer Heat and the others echoed the holy request before he leveled a smirk at the young general. “And as much as her holiness is venerated amongst the people, the keys to power are of the understanding that she is not yet ready. Least of all to lead us in a time of war.”

And there it was. Shining Armor glanced about the room, once again tossed into the mire of politics. He means no pony likes the fact that once Cadence takes the crown, I’ll be second only to her. In his heart, Cadence was the world to him, and seeing her take the crown would be a proud day. Yet it would be a day where he would be that much closer to an assassin’s poison. Best not dwell on that right now. Equestria comes first. Shining Armor propped himself up on the table. “History shows being queen tends to harden ponies, or they die young. I can speak to her holiness about trusting a viceroy to lead Equestria during the next war. That way, the common pony still gets their god-queen, and the military can rest easy knowing there is somepony in charge who is willing to make the hard calls. By the time the war after this one comes, Cadence will be ready for such a burden.”

Though she hid it well, Sunset Shimmer bore the faintest of frowns. “I agree. If not her, then who?”

“Tradition dictates it would be a prince or princess, but her majesty’s last child died two years ago in…” Salt Spray was careful not to glance in Sunset Shimmer’s direction. “Strange circumstances. Without a blood heir, it would fall to whoever she chooses.”

Giving a solemn nod, Sunset Shimmer stood up to dismiss them all. “Then it is up to her to settle the matter. I will inform the queen of Cadence’s intent to defer governorship when the next war comes, and that she’ll need to designate a viceroy.”

Standing up as well, Shining Armor was left with a bitter mood, but one he hoped would not end in disaster. “I’ll talk to her holiness then. If we do this right, we can mask mobilization under the guise of political instability. As grim as it may sound, the perfect time to start would be when the queen does finally pass into Celestia’s embrace.”

“As distasteful as it is prudent,” Salt Spray grumbled as he wished for a stiff drink.

“All we need now is a casus belli,” Baton remarked, his mind already formulating multiple plans. He used a plotting rod to move some Equestrian soldier miniatures towards the border between the two nations. “Something to give the papers to chew on so they can incense the public into backing the war. As potentially damaging as a certain scholar’s betrayal is, she’s hardly a worthy excuse to go to war.”

To that, Sunset Shimmer simply gave a confident exhale. “I wouldn’t concern myself over that. Knowing the Lunarians, they’ll practically gift us a reason to go to war again. And if I need to prod them along…”


Many, many miles away, deep inside the naval shipyards of Tranquility, Twilight sat in a waiting room for the owner of the dockyards to see her. She had already been waiting for ten minutes, and every second was torture.

She nervously flipped through the pages from her new carpet bag after her saddlebags were noted to be too Equestrian in style. The new bag was ugly, which was made abundantly clear by Rainbow’s relentless scoffing at it but it had looked nice in the store. In any case, it served its function cheaply enough.

Twilight was feverishly going over all of her calculations and records, and such scattered musings were not complete without a mountain of self doubt, perpetrated by the three other failed pitches she had made earlier in the morning. Why did I have to send Pinkamena away today of all days! I should have made these presentations first, then let her have a day. By the sun, let her have a week! But nooo, you just didn’t think! Just because I came from Equestria they all toss out my boiler idea!

Sitting on the lounge chair, and well clear of the constant stream of sparks threatening to catch the wallpaper on fire, Rainbow Dash tried to keep an eye out for possible threats, but the naval shipyards had guards of its own, so her biggest concern were those very sparks. “Damn, mare, you’d think being in the middle of a blasted dockyard would put a lid on all that zap.”

“Not helping!” Twilight cried, only to clap her mouth shut when the office door started opening.

An earth pony mare poked her head out with a disinterested expression. “Mister Steel will see you now. This way, my lady.”

Jumping a bit, Twilight hastily smoothed her mane as best she could. Here goes nothing. If this doesn’t pan out, I might have to make some riskier investments. She tucked her carpet bag under her wing and looked expectantly at Rainbow.

The trooper was kind enough to remain respectful in public and followed after Twilight without complaint. That didn’t stop her from yawning quietly when no one was looking at her.

It was a short walk from the waiting room towards a grand office. It had a massive window that overlooked one of the only three covered drydocks in Tranquility. Besides the expensive wooden desk covered in papers, and the requisite chairs, the walls were adorned with portraits of pony posing next to past emperors, or warships all in grandiose display. Above the window was a phrase etched in iron ‘You are Tomorrow. You are the Navy.’ Beyond the glass came the sounds of industry that teased at Twilight’s ears. Had she not been shot down at the other three dockyards, she would have been far more inclined to investigate the yard.

Standing before the window was what Twilight initially thought was a unicorn. That is until he turned slightly to face her, revealing he bore the bald wings of a pegacorn. She stumbled a bit, nearly dropping her carpet bag.

A brief scowl appeared on his face, only for his eyes to study her a bit, resulting in his building hostility to creep back down. Deciding to take the initiative, Steel cleared his throat. “Lady Twilight Sparkle, I understand you have a proposition for me.”

“Y-yes, my apologies.” Twilight at least managed to retain some dignity as she cantered over to the desk, prompting the stallion to do the same.

For her part, Rainbow Dash leaned against the wall near the exit. She tried to busy her mind by trying to identify the ships in the paintings.

Twilight spoke far too quickly for her liking, and that of how she was taught. “To - so I don’t take up too much of your time, I’ll be brief. My father and I were Equestria’s chief researchers on Lunarian naval engines and boilers. They became something of a passion of mine, and I toyed with creating my own, but as you can imagine, I didn’t exactly have the legal ability to bring my ideas to life.”

Steel silenced her with a quick swipe of a hoof. “Look, doll, I know exactly what you’re doing here.”

“I - you do?” Twilight stammered a bit too fearfully.

“Yeah, I do.” Steel pulled a cigar from his desk and took his time in lighting it. After a good puff or two, he eyed her as he would a child. “Let’s say I believe you. The only way you could have gotten your mitts on one of our engines is if you took from from the last war. What did you have? A Diver’s crosshead? An oscillator maybe?”

Twilight knew her father’s engine so well she could recreate it right here and now if she had the tools. That included the name that used to be painted on the side. “It was one of Salty Pete’s oscillators, yes.”

A smirk curled around Steel’s cigar as he puffed gleefully. “Ha! Oh how I’m going to love rubbing his nose in that one.” Using a wing to remove the cigar from his mouth, Steel sized Twilight up. “Look, I’m sure you were a big wig researcher among Equestrian circles, but I already have a full development staff, and I really don’t want to bother with the headache of having yet another noble on the team. You lot are a bunch of drama vultures, and everything you could possibly know about engines is obsolete by what? Twenty, thirty-ish years? It’d be easier if you were a fresh academy graduate.”

“I did spend the better part of a month on a newer merchantmare, so I’d like to think I know so slightly more up to date information.” Twilight knew the Sea Hopper wasn’t exactly state of the art, but it had to do. She knew refusal was coming the moment he had opened his mouth, but she had suffered it three times already and by damn she wasn’t going to take it a fourth time. “Not only that, but it let me improve the math on my designs. Let me ask you this then. Are your latest ships still using firetube boilers?”

Steel was initially annoyed by the interruption, but he didn’t voice it right away as he was mildly surprised she even knew what that was. Instead he grumbled a bit before puffing on his cigar some more. “Salty Pete wasn’t making those back then. Did you see one of those types on the boat over?” Barely a moment after he asked the question he dismissed it with a wave. “Doesn’t matter. Yes, we are. But one of my researchers has promised me a new type of boiler in the works that’s supposed to be a sizable step up.”

Finally a grin of her own came to life. Twilight pulled out several papers from her bag, shuffled them a bit so the order was correct before placing them in front of the increasingly disinterested stallion. “As I mentioned, I’ve got my own kind of boiler, but this one is fully drafted: a watertube. If my math is right, it should offer a sizable increase in steam pressure from the firetube boiler the Sea Hopper had, it was ahhh… a Pond Lilly class merchantmare. And at the same time, taking up far less space onboard since it largely combines the firebox and boiler into a single piece. I could fit two of my watertubes on that ship.”

“A Pond Lilly? That’s a high claim…” Steel skimmed the diagrams in front of him, along with the dimensions off to the side. The longer he looked, the higher his right brow rose.

He’s taking the bait! Seeing she had an opening, she slid towards the front of the desk. She couldn’t spare any mental effort to silence her sparkling horn. Every thought was to seal the deal. “Think of the power two such boilers could produce for the space of one. The navy’ll be begging you for contracts.”

Still leaning against the far wall, Rainbow Dash perked an ear at the sound of that. She pushed off the wall to keep a closer ear out.

Twisting his snout in disapproval, Steel looked up at Twilight. “I suppose it might have potential, if you were trying to sell this to the Royal Navy. We’ve had firetube boilers for a decade now, Just not on ships yet.” Steel remarked offhandedly, causing a shadow of doubt to fall over Twilight. He sighed and tapped the ash off his cigar. “Look, since you at least have a work up of one I suppose keeping mum won’t matter now. The new type I’ve been promised is much like yours, just not so… miniaturized yet.”

No, not again! Twilight was awashed with desperation while jabbing a hoof at her work. “Your competition kept claiming the same thing. Merchant’s Creed thirty seven: the early investor reaps the most interest. I have a ready designed firetube right here and now. I can work out any kinks it may have with a prototype or two. Even if this only buys you a year ahead of everypony else, that’s a long time to get rich off it, yes?”

Flashing a bit of dismissive impatience, Steel stood up to eye Twilight with a dour frown. “All of that profit would undoubtedly be lost from licensing from you. The throne would never allow me to have an exclusive contract on this if your claims are true.” He jerked his head towards the attentive lieutenant. “She’d inform her superiors about it, so my investments in prototyping and the like would be a waste.”

“But -” Twilight wracked her brain to try and think of a counter-argument, but the day’s series of failures was catching up to her. It was late, and she had skipped lunch and dinner trying to make so many meetings all in one day. She was hungry, tired, and worst of all, she had sent Pinkamena away on the one day she needed her most. Her aristocratic mannerisms were close to falling apart when a rather brutish throat clear came from behind her.

Rainbow Dash started to stalk towards the two. “Well, if you’re going to drag me into this, Mister Steel, I might as well say something.” Both pegacorns looked at the intrusion with mixed bewilderment, and regret on Steel’s part. “Here’s what I’m hearing. She’s got a fancy new boiler that I don’t need her sale’s pitch to know the navy would want it, and I hear you not wanting to bother.”

“It’s not that simple,” Steel fumed hotly. “The navy’s got the taxpayer, but I have to face the admiralty, and to be frank, I trust my own researchers over a machine cooked up by an Equestrian.”

Twilight huffed at the derisive insult. She knew what she had to say right off the bat, but her heart made her hesitated almost too long to be impactful. “A former Equestrian.”

“Fine, former. The point is, it’s a fool idea, and I want no part of it,” Steel growled before jabbing a hoof at Rainbow. “You might be the soldier here, but you don’t run a shipyard like mine without making friends. Just try going above my head, and I’ll ruin you.” At that, Rainbow hesitated, unsure on how to continue. Pressing his advantage, Steel continued, “Even if the boiler works as advertised, the Royal Navy is no match for the fleet when it comes to speed and maneuver. This isn’t a sword worth dying on, Lieutenant.”

Incensed by the threat, Rainbow Dash spoke behind bared fangs. “Oh yeah? I should be telling you the same thing. See, if there’s one thing I-” An idea struck her so hard she stumbled a bit, her snarl dying in an instant. “Wait a second…” She scrutinized Twilight, making the mare jump a bit with the intensity. “You said you can fit two of them on a ship?”

“Well, provided the ship was designed from the keel up for them, yes. They’re small enough to fit two for every one firetube.”

Centering her focus back on Steel, Rainbow now spoke as somebody on a crusade. “You know, buddy, I drink with a lot of sailors, and I hear things. They never have enough space.”

“And?” Steel grumbled impatiently. “Ships have to be cramped in a lot of places,” he added while puffing his cigar. “Take a look at the warship behind me. It’s due to be completed within the next few weeks, so secrecy isn't so necessary now.”

The two mares shared a look before Twilight’s mood completely swung to that of ecstatic curiosity and she, with as much dignity as she could muster, bolted for the massive window.

There, stretching to four hundred and twenty feet, was a warship that might at first glance look much like a longer, militarized version of the Sea Hopper. It had rows of cannon ports and the like, but one thing Twilight noticed within moments was the hull itself was iron and no paddlewheels. “Amazing! I knew Shiny was right. You really do have ironclads!”

Steel’s eyes widened considerably, and his proud grin at the fawning his creation was receiving evaporated like snow in a desert. He jumped out of his chair in a mild rage. “Who is Shiny?!”

Twilight let off a surprised ‘eep’ before shaking it off. “He’s my brother. A general in the Royal Army.”

Having heard of Twilight’s defection in the paper, the dots connected in his mind. He slammed a hoof on the desk. “Damn it all to Tartarus! Either I, or one of the other yards has a security leak to deal with.”

Rainbow Dash was not exactly happy about it either, and while the warship indeed looked impressive, it did not address her concern. “I’ll pass that message along the chain, in case Lady Twilight’s reports haven’t already informed the emperor.”

At first, Steel wanted to keep such a leak quietly dealt with, but with a military officer hearing about it, and the leak potentially occurring from a competitor, he wasn’t going to argue. “Fine, fine. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have an audit to organize.”

Despair briefly flared within Twilight, only for get to conjure an idea just as he turned impatiently to tell her to leave. “Mister Steel, perhaps it best we reconvene later this week? Perhaps at one of your foundries so I could build a prototype?” His first response sputtered at the audacity of trying to continue. “After all, if warning you about this leak isn't enough to be given a shot, and I have to build and refine it out of house, then the licensing approval process could take a very long time for you.”

While sorely not in the mood to entertain the meeting any further, Steel managed to snort in amusement. He claimed his chair and collected paper and pen. “I'm almost starting to like you. Tell you what, as payment for your service today. You pay for building the prototype using my foundry, and if your boiler proves useful enough, I'll be the first to license it.”

“Agreed.” Twilight presented a hoof, to which Steel shook without looking away from his desk, but he at least had the courtesy to push her papers off to one side. Once Twilight collected her things, she thanked him and left. I’m going to have to buy Rainbow her favorite drink for this.

After quickly gathering her things, and setting up a date and time with the secretary, the mares found themselves back on the street with the late afternoon sun at their backs. Twilight dropped her carpet bag on the sidewalk and leaned tiredly against the brick wall protecting the shipyard. “That... I thought for sure I was done for until you spoke up.” She leveled a grateful smile at the trooper who was searching the skies for her relief. “For what it's worth, you wear the gold bars well.”

Huffing irritably, Rainbow idly scuffed the ground. “I swear, if Butterscotch is dumb enough to still be waiting at Barq's Steelworks I'm going to punt him into next week.” Finally turning to address Twilight's compliment, Rainbow could only grumble with directionless irritability. “Thanks, I guess. It looks like I might be stuck with you all day, and I have a private to reprimand later.”

"Ahh." Twilight frowned a bit until she started glancing about towards the surrounding establishments. “Say, in celebration, how about we visit a lounge?“

Rainbow Dash's mood perked up a bit. “Can't drink on duty, and I'd prefer a pub.”

Nodding in understanding, Twilight got off the wall and walked over to stand beside Rainbow, then gestured towards the city with a wing. “We can wait until you are relieved, then I can't think of a better idea to unwind than to unleash a sergeant in officer uniform on the poor uptight snobs who can't kick you out on principle.”

“The only thing I'd want to do in a lounge or pub or whatever is drink and brawl.”

Laughter rolled off of Twilight like calm rain. “Oh, my poor fresh lieutenant. Do you really think junior officers are any different when the rank and file aren't present?” She pulled Rainbow along with a wing, headed towards a lounge she had spotted on the way to the shipyard. “Let me tell you some stories about the Sunny Apple. My brother and his friends were quite the bruisers when push came to shove.”

Sufficiently enticed, Rainbow followed along with a genuine smile. “Did you ever join in?”

Tilting her nose up in an exaggerated flourish, Twilight let go, but kept walking. “Merchant's Creed one forty seven: People love the bartender. It is not my fault ponies can talk too loudly, and it is a lady's duty to see her honor is maintained.” She winked at Rainbow. “That armor back in my room wasn't just for show.”

”Oh ya? Prove it. Tonight.”

The challenge was made. One that Twilight had hoped Rainbow would make, making her give a tactful grin. ”Should the need arise.”

PreviousChapters Next