• Published 6th Nov 2020
  • 5,704 Views, 700 Comments

A Clash of Magic and Steam - law abiding pony



The Fire of Friendship that once united ponykind has all but faded. One thousand years ago, Equestria fractured... those who disagreed with Celestia's rule left under the leadership of Princess Luna to found their own nation, their own way of life.

  • ...
7
 700
 5,704

PreviousChapters Next
35: Coming To Terms

Motivation is a strange fickle thing, some have so much it gets them into trouble, others can’t enough to get out of bed. For others trying to set up a good impression for their deity with who knew how little time, motivation was in abundance.

The impromptu platform that was going to be for the engine was flattened to frightening degree as Radiant Dawn’s magic broke stones and used the resulting gravel to fill in spaces. Soldiers and retainers led by Pinkie Pie both set up lanterns and cooking fires were brought up to provide some natural light as a way to soften the harshness of a flare that would make reading possible. Blankets and throw pillows were laid out in abundance with the two expected positions of divinity devolving into thankfully brief petty arguments that Rarity quashed lest they run out of whatever time the Sisters’ fight had given them.

Food and drink was brought out and set upon a collection of small tables that were pulled together. Twilight Sparkle and later Radiant Dawn toiled away pre-writing several messages on the leftover paper and ink she and the inquisitors had brought with them.

Twilight sat near where the statue had once been, joined by Radiant Dawn when Pinkie Pie and Rarity stood nearby searching and corrected even the smallest detail that they could see.

Even Applejack had kept busy as she organized the fliers who returned early into a proper parade formation before being relieved by the officers’ upon their return ahead of Rainbow Dash and the alicorns. Handing her boatswain whistle off to a lookout, Applejack marched up and joined the group working around the now empty pedestal. “Ya’ll recken this’ll be enough?” Applejack fussed with fraying nerves.

“It is a wonder we didn’t think to do this sooner,” Rarity nearly moaned, having surrendered all her wine and chocolates. The real food she could give up with ease, but the chocolates had been preserved imports from Mechiburg. “But it will have to be. The premium gifts we were saving are… well, no pony saw fit to have enough for so many extra guests.”

Radiant Dawn paused in his writings to give her a sour look, but ultimately had to resume writing a page.

Twilight scanned the sky and spotted some more fliers returning in piecemeal. “Given how many fliers are returning and chattering up a storm out there, I’m going to hazard a guess somepony managed to talk the Sisters into returning here.”

“I sure hope so,” Pinkie Pie exhaled from being winded and a fair bit sweaty despite the chill. Having run back and forth between setting decor and getting the soups and spit roasts seasoned and left to others to monitor, the earth mare was glad to take a break. “I never liked doing a rush order only for the customer to cancel on me.”

Off in the distance, Applejack’s boatswain whistle pierced the night. Sergeant Jacks all but chased the flock of ponies to the ground and lined them up in parade formation along the scar their militia brethren had carved into the village years earlier.
With the other work the inquisitors had done to the place, it allowed the formation to be parallel to the seating arrangements. What few Equestrians there were lined up on the left side with the much larger group of Lunarians on the right in the hopes of guiding the sisters to their correct seats.

Everyone who could see, watched Rainbow Dash fly in from the west. The captain kept her wits about her and noticed the twin formations, and thus guided the Sisters down to just beyond the formation itself.

Luna was quick to notice the numerical difference straight away, and jabbed a wing at her sister to direct her attention to the fifty five strong force being illuminated by the scattered camp fires, all bearing matching uniforms and weapons. Oddly, eight were standing in front of the rest of the Lunarians, with one acting like the commander by being in front of the smaller group. <By the stars, Tia, the centenar is not alone in her equipment.> The excitement on Luna’s face at seeing a whole formation of such mighty warriors was only matched by Celestia’s dread.

<These are strange times, Sister. I would not be so quick to trust such ponies. These titans just so happen to be here where my portal spat us out at? Something is very wrong here.>

Luna was too enraptured by the prospect of these powerful warriors all bearing her colors to care about her sister’s caution.

“Company!” Yelled the soldier standing in front of the formation. “Present arms!” With crisp movements, and a few following commands, the seven soldiers raised their weapons into the empty air and fired.

Celestia flinched at the display, remembering the very soldier leading them to some delegation up ahead had used that weapon on her. The formation fired a second time, then a third before returning to a similar stance the rest of them were in. Glancing around, and seeing the rest of the ponies around them remain peaceful, she let it go. What a strange custom, but perhaps it is a form of honor.

Inwardly annoyed that her station made gawking at things a faux pas, Luna reluctantly moved her eyes forward. “A delegation, and it seems your subjects are here after all.”

Looking ahead, a group of four ponies were bowing, no, Celestia thought, they’re prostrating themselves. A bit much for a queen’s return. Nevertheless, Celestia tried to keep her regal airs about her, and hoped that someone would soon come with lye and water to clean the blood off of her face.

Once they were close enough, the presence of the two white and gold robed ponies, clearly the heraldry of Equestria, gravitated Celestia to the left, while the black and silver clad earth pony to the left pulled Luna to the other. What caught both their eyes was the metal winged purple unicorn.

Luna was the first to be able to see through the gaps in the armor to the featherless limbs inside it. “A demicorn? Here of all places?”

Such a finely crafted leather jerkin and metal armor clearly spoke of a pony of either high birth or the servant of one. Given the small ring attached to the base of her horn, both alicorns assumed the latter. “I’m surprised a noble would allow one in their company, let alone the parents not killing her at birth.” Celestia added it to the list of strange things. When the chromatic centenar asked a few words to the pegacorn of all people, she joined the earth pony while the pegacorn waved her wings at the two large cushion piles. The Sisters shared a scornful look at each other for having to sit so close together.

To play the more dignified of the pair, Celestia walked over and sat down, and smirked at Luna for still glowering at her. <Come, Sister. You were not so opposed to being this close together barely a few minutes ago.>

<That’s because I was busy shoving my hoof - bah, never mind you daft fool.> She looked about. Though the ponies around them currently stood a fair bit away, the seat cushions clearly meant they intended to sit far too close than was normally appropriate.

As they argued, Applejack hastily helped Rainbow Dash remove her disruptor and switch it off.

Shaking her head, Celestia magically fluffed her sister’s seat. <We’re clearly not at court. A little proximity is to be excused. Don’t tell me you keep your distance even while on campaign.>

With the presence of so many unrestrained supporters of Celestia present, and two mages, or nobles at least, Luna was starting to get paranoid. Flustering due to her sister’s mockery, Luna marched over to her seat and sat so she could keep a better eye on her sister and her presumed supporters. <I don’t know why this parley is even happening without our approval.>

<Ah, so now you care,> Celestia scoffed as she watched the pegacorn approach them with two pieces of paper held out for them. The two mages had moved to their seat cushions but were not yet sitting, likewise for the orange earth pony and the thestral who brought them here.

Each sister claimed a page. <Your holiness, please forgive such close sitting arrangements. Given how we must communicate, such proximity is an unfortunate necessity.>. Celestia felt smug after her presumption being vindicated. <See, Luna? No disrespect.> Celestia nodded to the odd demicorn and waved a hoof at the mages’ seats.

More out of respect to the centenar than anything else, Luna repeated the gesture to the others. Once everyone except the demicorn sat down, the mages magically floated over four sets of ink pots, pens, and paper, one for each sister, the stallion mage, and the demicorn. The armored mare pulled a bound stack of paper from under her pillow, bit the twine’s knot loose and then handed over the top two pages.

Luna was quicker to snatch this one up to read. The uncomfortable silence from the gathered subjects or supposed allies at least, was getting to her. <Begging a thousand pardons, but there is a debate among us as to what form of address and titles we should say to the two of you.> Growing more concerned by the second, Luna glanced at her sister and was glad to see similar worry on her as well. <How can they claim to be our subjects or allies if they don’t know how to address us?>

Quicker on the uptick, Celestia was already writing a response. <If they are asking, dear sister, we will get our answers soon enough. How about we save on ink and I will write this one and you the next? I get the feeling we’ll be here all night.> Using the back of her paper, Celestia began writing. Once she was done, Celestia allowed Luna to read it before giving it to the pegacorn.

“Well isn’t that something?” The pegacorn sang before giving the mages a smug look. “Have a look.” She presented the page to the lone stallion while speaking to Luna’s allies. “They prefer the title of queen and your highness.”

The sisters watched as the two mages grew highly agitated while the two warriors, a presumption on the earth pony’s part, reacted with a mix of agitation and confusion.

“That can’t be right,” the centenar declared heatedly, thinking this was some poorly timed joke on demicorn’s part. “You must have worded the question wrong.”

To that, the pegacorn coughed in the stallion’s direction. “Well Inquisitor Radiant Dawn? Was my question worded incorrectly?”

The stallion in question had been whispering quickly and harshly with his fellow mage before addressing the demicorn. “I - I can find no fault in it, but clearly they are being humble. It’s the only explanation.” He began writing his own note. “Just speak plainly.” He floated the page over to Twilight who nodded after a quick read, then moved it over for Celestia to take.

Further confused by the polite arguments, both sisters leaned in to read it. <They think we are gods?!> Luna spluttered.

“What lunacy is this?” Celestia growled. “This is the same kind of thinking we had to stamp out when we first took power.” She immediately began angrily scratching a note then gave it to the purple one.

The arbiter claimed the page, and to the confusion of the alicorns, a smirk developed on her face. “Oh my. This is quite the strongly worded letter condemning such thought.”

Rainbow Dash leaned forward and snatched it. “How can you wear our heraldry and yet think we are gods? We had dispelled such notions decades ago.“ There was more to it, but Rainbow was too shaken to read anymore. She felt compelled to look at Luna, but was too shamed to do so.

“As earth shattering as this may be, we should honor their choice in the matter and move on.” The demicorn bowed her head at the Sister before clipping her wings to the side of her barrel. Strangely, the armor seemed to open, allowing her naked wings to move freely to write the next note.

Both sisters were instantly put off by the sight of her. Yet the fact that she seemed to amend the page in front of her with ease was equally distasteful to both. <It’s like looking into a sickly version of myself,> Luna said scornfully. <Whoever is behind this is twisted.> She scanned the ponies around them, and neither side were showing any signs of awe, only awkward shame or disillusion.

<On that at least we are in agreement,> Celestia said as she claimed the page after it was pushed forward. Surprised to find next message's wing-writing was immaculately clean, <she’s clearly a scribe at least. Perhaps that is why she’s here.>

They read the note for possible answers. <Your majesties Celestia and Luna, my name is Lady Twilight Sparkle, head of House Sparkle of Lunaria-> Luna stopped reading to look directly at the demicorn. <So you're not a foreign ally?! How can you claim to be my subject and yet not speak Equiss? I don’t know of anypony who can’t, let alone a lady!>

This 'Twilight Sparkle' was only slightly cowed by the hostile question. Everyone grew tense as the mood shifted, but no one other than Luna stood up, only whispered among themselves since the outburst shook them from their introspection. Rather than say anything, the mare hastily grabbed the next sheet on the stack and presented it.

<Clearly you can’t even keep track of your own followers.> The thought made her look at the centenar with dread. I knew something wasn't right.[/] Seeing how her sister was in no mood to read, Celestia plucked the new page up to read aloud. <Apologies for not being able to speak with either of you. You’ve been trapped in stone for over nine hundred years…> Celestia hung on that word in a stupor.

Luna had only half heard her sister, and grabbed the page to make sure she heard her correctly. <nine hundred. Nine hundred years?! It took them that long to find us?>

Celestia broke out of her stupor to glare at Luna. <Find us? What did you do,>

Self deprecating laughter flowed out of the night sister. <I knew you were planning something with your half of the Elements, Tia, just not what.> She smirked at her sister, though half of that smugness was reserved for her own folly. <So I had my half cover me in a dead-mare enchantment. The moment you tried to use them against me, the enchantment was supposed to lock you in stone. Apparently, whatever you did, got me tangled up into my own trap.>

Part of Celestia watched the ponies around her getting increasingly skittish. Given how many more Lunarians were present, I better calm her down before somepony starts a battle I can’t win. Whatever future weapon those metal quarterstaffs were, she had not seen her followers carry any at all. <If it has been truly nine hundred years, it’s entirely possible our subjects have found peace with each other. We shouldn’t do anything to damage that.>

<Peace she says.> Luna’s laughter was becoming increasingly manic. She flared her wings in boiling emotion. <Does this village look like a peaceful place? You don’t make weapons and armor like those soldiers have and live in a village like this! And I know you haven’t already forgotten how the centenar was all too happy to attack you. Our ponies have been fighting for nine hundred years. I wager my entire kingdom that they are at war at this very moment!>

<And look at you wanting to continue it as always.> Celestia stood up to face her sister, which got everyone else to stand. All five of them grabbed a page each and surrounded the alicorns holding them out.

Even with the light of the torches around them, the oversized word ‘peace’ was clear to them both. Luna lowered her wings and huffed. <and they don’t… At least the ones here.>

The weight of the truth dragged Celestia’s will to fight down to the earth, and eventually back to her seat. <Nine hundred years lost. If those gathered here need us to secure peace, then it is the absolute least we can do.>

Shaken by the incomprehensible amount of bloodshed in her name, Luna took her seat as well. Every bone in her body wanted to slump as her energy left her, but she forced herself to stay focused. <You make a good point.> The callus wording made Luna sour even further.

Brief chatter among their subjects for everyone else to settle down as well. Twilight Sparkle leaned forward and tapped the paper that carried her name. With Luna still in shock, it was up to Celestia to read it, and lipped the parts she knew. <While I have sworn my service to Luna and the Lunarian throne, I was born and raised in Equestria. Because of this, I have been selected to be the arbiter. Until this conference is over, my only loyalty is to impartiality and balance between both sides. If both of you can agree this role, we can begin.>

<Well that confirms the arbiter part at least.> Halfway through the reading, Luna forced herself to return to the present. <That is fine.>

Celestia was more saddened by the defection than angered. Even after I have been long gone, my little ponies leave me. She recalled the welcoming ceremony and how much smaller her group was. Is that how things have gotten now? Equestria is a shadow of its former self, and Lunaria has triumphed? Realizing she was stalling things, she quickly wrote a note marking their approval of Twilight’s role.

Once the demicorn read it, she sighed in relief before giving another pre-written note over. Prodded by her sister, Luna reluctantly grabbed the notes. <To my right are Lunarians: Captain Rainbow Dash of the air army, and Boatswain Applejack, representative of the Lunarian imperial navy and the common folk.> The presumably modern titles were foreign to both alicorns, but sounded important at least. <To my right is Royal Inquisitor Radiant Dawn and Inquisitor Rarity Belle. Inquisitors are pious investigators and war mages. They are Celestia’s best and most widely-known followers.>

While the idea of having powerful agents close at hand sounded appealing, the elder sister still vividly recalled how easily her magic was defeated not even an hour ago. Pulling a page over and writing something down she spoke. <Luna. I tire of this game. Just help me in using the gift of tongues.>

<Were we not to keep that a secret?>

Pushing the page towards Twilight, Celestia eyed her estranged sibling. <What we have done, what we set in motion, has gone on long enough. If father was truly watching, he would not have waited this long to free us, nor intervene. A vision of the future is one thing, but nine hundred years is not a punishment for us, but for all of our subjects. This is our chance to reset things between us. Let us start again.>

<Have you gone mad?> Luna almost genuinely asked. <My subjects already saw themselves as non-Equestrians when you started the war, what makes you think they’d be any more inclined to reverse that after the better half of a millenium?!>

Celestia’s horn glowed and a hollow golden sphere materialized in between all those assembled. <We need to know what the future has become before I can answer that. And I don’t know about you,> Celestia added with a shrug. <But it would be far too dangerous for us to have to learn modern Equiss the hard way. Just like my advisors of old, many will go behind our backs if we can not speak properly.>

<Very well. But if father comes out of the woodworks demanding why we did this, I’m blaming you.>

Luna added a navy blue flame inside of the golden orb as Twilight read the note aloud to the others. “To all of you, this is a gift of tongues. Take your paper, written full of your language and ours, matching word for word. When the pages burn, the words will appear, and we will speak the old tongue and then you speak the new. We will still have to learn other aspects of language later, but at least this way we can know each word’s meaning. For every pair you give the fire, we will learn it.”

That’s going to take ages,” Rainbow Dash groaned.

“Maybe, but it certainly won’t be as bad as having to write everything out,” Radiant Dawn chided. “Not that you’ve had to do any of the work.”

“I can certainly give us a leg up,” Twilight cheered as she rummaged around her pillows. She pulled out a twine bound book of sorts and started removing the string and leather cover. “Behold! The dictionary I created while translating the journals!” I brought it along in case they used something I was unfamiliar with.”

She pushed the whole stack towards the alicorns. Each taking up pages of their own, they instantly knew what it was. <I can see why they chose her,> Celestia said with an impressed grin. <This one comes prepared.>

<Indeed,> Luna agreed. <But I’d rather not spend all night translating a dictionary just to have it all burn away when we end the spell.>

<Then we need to make it last.> Glancing around, Celestia’s eyes fell upon the golden icon on Rarity’s hat. She pointed at it. <May I have it?>

Confused at first, Rarity removed her treasured hat, and gave it over. Celestia removed the badge of the inquisition off of it and returned the hat. She looked to her sister. <I can fuse the spell into this. Perhaps you should take something from one of your followers to serve as a base.>

Looking them over, Luna fixated on her rescuer. The mare had no metal on her anymore, save for her belt, and Luna wasn't going to use that. Applejack fared no better. Even their buttons were wooden. That left Twilight Sparkle. At least she said she is Lunarian now. The demicorn squirmed over the scrutiny until Luna’s eyes fell upon the horn ring. It was upon seeing the item that Luna finally realized the mare had not released even a single erratic spark of lightning. That should do. She pointed at the ring. <I need that.>

Having seen what Celestia did with Rarity’s emblem, Twilight was reluctant to give it up. “I can’t fly without this.” Even as she said it, there was no defying the alicorn. She pulled it off her horn and tugged the wires connected to the rest of the armor off, Rainbow and Applejack felt somber pride for her.

“Cheer up, we’ll ya? You can always make another one right?” Applejack wanted to go comfort her friend, but with the alicorns present, she felt like she couldn’t leave her seat.

Rainbow’s eyes followed the ring as Luna claimed it and started inspecting the piece. “Let’s hope she wipes all the sweat and grime off it first, eh?”

Twilight was about to give a somber retort until she actually saw Rainbow’s face. The mare might have been paying attention to her surroundings, but there was something off, like part of her was in shock. A piece of her was frozen and she couldn’t spare the time to process whatever was troubling her. I warned her the Sisters wouldn’t see themselves as gods. Can’t blame her for having some hope though.

So Twilight let the comment slide and focused on Luna. The sisters first inspected their chosen items. They started charging their horns and sank their mana into both items. This infusion lasted longer than a minute, and the two let go of the items and nearly collapsed out of sudden fatigue. Before those gathered could even see it happen, the sisters were sweating profusely and had to lock their legs to keep from keeling over.

Both objects now glowed an eerie white light that seemed to swirl around them like dry ice. The inquisitors tactfully used their magic to help keep Celestia upright while Rarity called for food and drink.

Rainbow Dash was the quickest to jump to keep Luna stable. “What did they do?”

“It’s a technique from a lost age,” Radiant Dawn replied while torn between not letting Celestia collapse while decorum demanded he not touch her at all. “Before runes and better materials were discovered, the only way to make lasting enchantments was to over-saturate an object. Even with all they put into it, a spell like that translator will only last two days at best without constant upkeep. I can only hazard a guess at how fragile it’ll prove around your machines.”

A spark of lightning erupted from Twilight’s horn, making her flush red with embarrassment. “We should adjourn until they’ve had a chance to recover.” She barely waited until a round of agreements came from everyone before one last thought struck her. She took a page and began writing. “Since they’ve learned the general situation, we might as well ask for an official ceasefire. A proper treaty can wait.”

“Your brother won’t be happy,” Rarity stated with only a twinge of mirth. “Last I heard he’s marching towards Mechiburg.”

Pushing the note forward, “he’ll probably prefer it this way. Now he can freely return to Canterlot to see the birth of my niece.”

What good humor the two inquisitors had suddenly died at what that could mean for her family. Neither could voice such concerns as the Sisters mustered the strength to read the note, and then magically sign the paper.

Bowing graciously and stepping away with the note, Twilight gave the note to Rainbow Dash. “There we go. To all who recognize Celestia and Luna as the true rulers of their respective nations, all armed forces are to stand down.”

“Well don’t give it to me. The nuckelavee need to spread this around.” Rainbow still read the thing, amused that she of all people would be holding such a document, crude and lacking the flowery wording the final version would have.

Taking it back, Twilight handed it off to Rarity who heard everything and had already stepped over. “We have a resupply scheduled to arrive the day after tomorrow. I’ll make sure they are apprised of the situation before they see any of you.”


Dinner came and went, thankfully without incident. Not one person among the village believed Cadence nor Emperor Eclipse would be able to hold power with the Sisters’ return. So they fell into an uneasy rest now that they tried to tell themselves the other side wouldn’t shoot them anymore.

Given the month the Lunarians only had the stars or lightweight canvas over their heads, they were all too happy to claim the plethora of empty druid houses available to them. Clearing out some spider webs and what few bones Rock Salt missed was preferable to setting up a tent.

Twilight’s dictionary was ultimately consumed by the translation spell. The only thing that was needed was to match each spoken word with its twin. A labor that had plenty of volunteers from the rank and file, giving each soldier and retainer a chance to aid their returned patron as well as having a perfect excuse to see them up close. An act that could possibly never come again once they returned home.

The following day, the sun was moving high in the late morning, and most Lunarians were already asleep. Celestia had been given the biggest house that was still intact, and had turned in hours prior to rest and heal. Luna had remained awake, dutifully adding more words to the translation spell with those who still eagerly wished to lend their voice.

Twilight and Pinkie Pie had turbulent sleep. Recent events and future troubles made any meaningful rest nearly impossible. So now they were in a fatigued slump over a barely acceptable cooking fire, slowly softening the day’s rations of salt pork and the few grasses and leaves fliers had scavenged from the Mirage.

“We finally did it, Twilly,” Pinkie Pie said with a failed attempt to muster some energy.

“Aye… That we did.” Twilight felt so entirely drained, as if she had been running on adrenaline alone ever since leaving the train. “And our work is only beginning.” She idly rubbed her stomach, and could feel the firmness had grown. That's right. I’ll need to have a second child rather soon too. Maybe motherhood will be the perfect excuse to recuse myself from politics. I give Luna a jumping off point and then let things run their course. Life in her laboratory teaching her future children the joys of invention melted the stress away as she sank into a deep sleep.

Pinkie Pie saw the lazy smile on her sister, and matched her with one of her own. Whatever she’s dreaming about, best to leave her to it.


A few hours later and further afield, Fluttershy was perched on the very pedestal the statues used to sit. She was observing Celestia and Suture continuing the efforts of filling up the translation spell. A single cardinal bird was perched on her back and would occasionally peck at the hardtack she had given it.

A gentle sigh and shiver escaped her due to the hard winter that was coming. The war depopulated the entire region. There won’t be weather teams here for a hundred years if not more.

It was just as well. The Green Mother would be left to test the future colonists.

Her musings were cut short by Celestia standing up along with Suture. The alicorn levitated the emblem she took from Rarity and placed it into the middle of the spell’s flame, and then removed it shortly after. Claiming the discarded twine from Twilight’s dictionary, cut it in half with a bayonet, then she fastened the glowing gold emblem to a lock of her mane and let it hang near her left ear.

Celestia started speaking normally, only for her voice to suddenly become extremely quiet, then her voice started up again speaking from the emblem speaking in modern Equiss. “There. Can you understand me, healer?” Her voice came through jarringly stilted and a bit harsh on the ears, but the words were clear at least.

Suture was beside herself with glee at being the first one to directly speak with Celestia. “Yes, yes I can your holi- majesty!”

To Celestia, the medic’s voice went in much the same order, starting loud then quieting so the emblem could give the translation in her ear. To Celestia, the words came through in a flowing rush that was always on the cusp of running over each other. “This can work for the time being.” Celestia took the ring Luna had claimed from Twilight and placed it too into the original spell’s fire. This time, the spell collapsed and sank into the ring. Celestia took the remaining twine and turned the ring into a pendant. “And give this to my sister, or one of her servants to give to her.”

“As you wish, my queen.”

With Suture bowing low before running off, the alicorn stretched like a cat with her wings flaring as far as she could reach. Turning around, she spotted the druid still watching her in silence. Mild annoyance was written on her face at first, then curiosity after sniffing the air. “You smell of dirt and grass, and I have yet to see you bow and scrape before me or my sister.”

Nodding in agreement, Fluttershy remained seated. “As per my agreement with Inquisitor Rarity, I only have two masters. The first is the Green Mother, the second is the crown. While I believe you will reclaim it soon enough, it does not sit upon your brow just yet.”

“Ah, I understand.” Celestia grew rather pleasant, and had to admit a touch of mirth at the technicality. “The world certainly has changed much if one such as you serves Equestria.”

Shaking her head, and nearly jostling the cardinal off her back in the process, Fluttershy felt comfortable enough to confide in her. “More like I changed rather than the world. In this instance at least.”

“Oh?” Curiosity grew ever stronger. “My parents always felt most druidic philosophy had merit, but was too restrictive of a lifestyle to adopt.”

A sad smile found its way into Fluttershy. “My apologies, but there is no need to lie on my behalf. Traditional Druidism covers its eyes all while claiming only they can see. I suspect that is what your parents truly meant.”

A pleased hum left the time-lost mare. “You have the right of it. Pray tell, what caused you to uncover the buried truth?”

The cardinal hopped over in front of Fluttershy, prompting the pegasus to scratch behind its head. “The Green Mother was kind enough to give me a shovel and told me where to dig. But giving that shovel to my peers has proven… dangerous.”

Shivering, and not from the cold, Celestia chewed on the pegasus’ words. “A kindred soul if ever there was one. I wish I could lend a word of wisdom, but I have yet to find success either.” She looked around, and noticed the crowd that was starting to gather at a distance. I hope that Twilight lass is willing to arbitrate again.

The sound of a bird chirping and taking to the air heralded Fluttershy leaving the pedestal and joined her at a respectful distance. “Your highness, if there is one thing I have learned from the civilized, is that they unconsciously live in a near constant state of struggle. It is this struggle that has molded them, and given them strength and power far beyond my kin. However, this struggle is not theirs alone, but the other civilized races have been influenced by us and we them. While this pleases the Green Mother, going against it now is daunting task. In my humble opinion, do not try to blunt their current strengths without first improving others, or you will doom ponikind.”

A troubled and surprised hum escaped the alicorn. “You are wise beyond your years, young one. And I fear you have the right of it.”


It took close to an hour for Luna and the rest of the impromptu court to reconvene. Much of the rest of the day was spent updating the Sisters on history, cultural expectations, and a low level exploration of the method of modern governance. Something no one present had any real experience on, save for the Sisters themselves.

One topic in particular had been danced around the entire time: enstripement. After all the fearmongering Twilight had driven into the inquisitors, not even Radiant Dawn wanted to broach the topic. More concerning to them was the fact that the Lunarians gave up multiple opportunities to push the issue to the fore, but didn’t. There could be only one explanation in Rarity’s eyes.

The day was growing late as the latest round of talks was wrapping up a brief overview of the Equestrian economy. Such topics were freely shared, to an extent, as both nations fully expected the other to already know such secrets.

Midway through explaining the industrialization of agriculture from Applejack, Luna raised a hoof for her to stop, her new pendent swaying a bit. “Wait a moment.” She looked to her sister. “Are you getting that strange double meaning every time she says indentured servant?”

“I keep hearing servant/slave,” Celestia replied with a dark mood.

“Then it isn’t just me.” Luna looked to Twilight who was doing an admirable job hiding a vindictive smirk. “Would you care to explain, arbiter?”

Rarity started sweating profusely while Radiant Dawn stuck to his faith and awaited Celestia’s expected approval. As for Twilight, she couldn’t hold back all of her grim satisfaction from her voice. “When Applejack says indentured servant or servitude, it is a person who is in practice, a slave bound by debt. How they become indebted differs, but the Throne has put harsh limits on the length of time indentured servitude contracts can last, and they retain all the same rights and privileges of a normal citizen, except for where they work.

Inwardly, Twilight expected the neutral reactions from the alicorns so far. But the real turmoil was yet to come. “The word servant by itself as it is used in Equestria is to indicate a Lunarian earth pony or pegasus that has been put under a geas that forces them to obey any lawful order from either the state or their master. This status is a life-long affair, and can range from simple blocked or compelled thoughts and actions to a complete suppression of personality.” Luna’s skyrocketing temper was so great her fur was standing fully up and she was starting to shake. “This practice is condoned by the Solar Church as the will of Celestia herself, and is not mirrored by Lunaria. The practice as a whole is called enstripement. Both thestrals and unicorns are either returned to Lunaria or are executed.”

“Tia…” Dark clouds of raw magic were building up around Luna as she stared pure hatred at her sister.

Celestia on the other hand was cold. A frozen blizzard crystallized into a face that was even more frightening than Luna. She magically grabbed the closest inquisitor, who happened to be Radiant Dawn, and brought him close. “Radiant Dawn, my faithful subject. Tell me, is this true?”

“I - I… Y-you must understand. The scriptures, we were all told-”

“That’s all I needed to hear.” Celestia grabbed his badge of office off his hat before throwing him up and behind her so Luna would have a clear shot at him. “Luna, I believe your brand of justice is what is needed. Do what you see fit with him.”

Luna’s mad-crazed eyes shifted to the stallion who had landed on his injury and struggled to stand back up. To her, he was no different than the vile noble houses that had blinded her sister so very long ago. Celestia’s gift of justice dragged a cruel smirk onto the dark sister’s muzzle. “For your crimes against my people, I sentence you to death!”

“Wait!” Rarity ran to interpose herself between Luna and Radiant Dawn. “Please, I beg you, he is a good stallion. He doesn’t deserve this!”

“Every inquisitor deserves this,” Rainbow Dash jeered, only for Twilight to stamp her hoof.

“Captain, do not interfere!”

Luna was hardly moved by Rarity’s actions, and Celestia was presently letting her sister do as she pleased. “You too? Good, then I won’t need to demand your head as well.”

Radiant Dawn cried out in agony, fully expecting his fall had broken something. What was horribly worse, was Rarity’s sacrifice. “Get out of the way, child. If this is what Celestia demands, then so be it.”

Ignoring him, Rarity remained defiantly in the way. “We’ve been taught since we were young that what we did was moral. Correct.”

“A monster with a clear conscience is still a monster!” Luna roared as she fired a white hot stream of mana at Rarity.

Yet instead of melting the mare on the spot, the beam was reflected by an angled barrier Rarity threw up at the last moment. The sheer power behind the beam pushed Rarity back, dragging her hooves against the cobblestone.

The attack was too bright for Luna to see Rarity was still alive until after she ended the spell. Upon finding Rarity didn’t so much as look strained by the assault, Luna growled in renewed vengeance. “You dare to defy our judgment? Get out of the way or die with him.”

Rarity glanced at the elder sister, who in turn made no effort to restrain either of them. “Her judgment was to allow you to do as you pleased with us. All I ask is for your mercy.”

“Mercy?! You have the gall to speak of mercy? How many of my people did you enslave with a happy heart? How many families did you and the rest of you inquisitors destroy in the name of faith?” Too furious to say another word, Luna redoubled her magic and summoned a steady stream of piercing bolts at Rarity who deflected each one with either shields or directly with her horn. Each blow still hammered her like a gunshot.

“Too many,” Rarity admitted between breaths. Luna’s magic was powerful but ancient, and decades of deflecting bullets had given Rarity a measure of endurance. The last bolt bent around her shield and struck Rarity’s flank. The blow would have cut her in half, had her duster’s wards not channeled the blow into the ground, cracking the stones below. Shaken, but desperately resolute, Rarity held firm. “But let the inquisition make things right!” She looked to Celestia once more, begging for a response, and still her patron remained unmoved.

“I’ve had enough!” Luna roared as she tried to grab Rarity telekinetically, only for the unicorn’s wards to react violently and launched needles at Luna. Caught off guard by the reprisal, Luna threw up a shield only for the needles to pierce it like an egg shell and lacerate Luna’s chest and legs. The alicorn ignored the pain and dribbles of blood.

Enraged only further, she tried lightning bolts and fire, only for Rarity to ground the lightning before it even got halfway to her, and the fire was put out by a ring of frost.

With a mad warcry, Luna ripped a house off the ground, snapping roots and vine in the process to smash Rarity with it. Thinking Luna was going to strike Radiant with it, Rarity backed up to stand beside him and raised a shield barely in time to protect herself from the house crashing down on her.

Luna stalked up to the pile of stone even as Rarity struggled to push the stones out from above her. “Why do you not fight properly? You could have moved this fight away from him or struck back at me.”

“Because I will not be the one to take the life of my queen’s sister,” Rarity replied firmly. She felt weak in the knees, but defiantly remained standing. Rarity couldn’t stop her thoughts from drifting to Sweetie Belle, and the long years since she last saw her. I can't even remember what my last words were to her.

Luna turned to her sister. “She’s your subject. Command her to stand down!”

Before Celestia could respond, Rarity yelled out. “I demand trial by combat!” The alicorns paused, giving her a chance to clarify. “That was part of the old laws, yes? I will defend my mentor’s life with my own.”

“As if you haven’t been already,” Celestia observed. “And what if I refuse your demand? Allowing either of you inquisitive ones to live would be a repeat of the same mistake that led to my sister leaving me in the first place.”

Having read both sisters’ wartime journals, Rarity hastily searched for a response. “Because-” she stalled, desperately trying to think of something. Yet with the risk of a single word from Celestia defeating her, and the eyes of the whole camp upon her, Rarity floundered. Nothing came to mind.

Sensing this failure, Celestia was not about to risk driving another wedge between herself and her sister over a follower, no matter how powerful she was. “Request denied. I command you to stand aside. unless…” Celestia looked out among the crowd who had gathered around. “To those loyal to my sister. Who among you would see mercy for either of them?”

Both sisters looked out at the crowd who had come to watch Luna’s wrath. For a long moment, no one would take that step. Feeling like too much time had passed, Twilight was about to make a stand, only to be pushed back down by her sister.

“I do,” came a single voice. Pinkie Pie walked away from Twilight to show she acted alone. “I was once a servant, a slave. I still have nightmares of my stripe scratching at my mind any time I had a negative thought against Equestria or my masters. I was always terrified any time an inquisitor would come anywhere near me, and tighten my geas into a red stripe. But I still do not blame them, just as you can not fault the shepherd dog from biting a guest it mistook for a thief. I beg of you, do not punish the sheepdog, but the shepherd. The Solar Church and the slaver merchants are the ones who are truly at fault.”

Celestia watched for anyone to dispute the pink mare, some looked angry at the defense, but remained silent. Others looked away in a measure of shame. Yet still, no one dared to dispute the earth mare. So at last she looked to her younger sister.

Luna wasn’t happy in the slightest, in large part because a single mage had repulsed her efforts, but the other was that her fury had gotten the better of her. “Tia…”

“They will see fitting justice, sister.” She hid a coy grin. “And next time I won’t allow a technicality to give them an out.”

An unamused snort left Luna. Drawing herself up, she stared at the shaking, but still resolute inquisitor. “You fight well, and with honor. Swear on oath that you will scour Equestria of enstripement with the same zeal you showed here today, and I will reverse my sentence.”

Rarity prostrated herself, and Radiant Dawn tried and failed to do the same thanks to his broken shoulder and foreleg. Though he muffled his own howl of pain, he did as best he could while Rarity spoke for them. “So long as it is Celestia’s will, I will not stop until every last servant is freed.”

Celestia inwardly smiled, and stepped up to be side by side with Luna. “Then let us make it official,” she yelled out so all could hear. “By royal edict, enstripement is hereby banned upon pain of death. Once I reclaim the crown and make my stance known to all, I want you to spearhead this command personally.”

Standing back up, the renewed passion of zeal lit a fire in Rarity’s eyes. A zeal unmatched at any point in her life thus far. “As you say, so shall it be.”

Climbing to his good leg, Radiant Dawn breathed as deeply as he could to speak before the pain became too much. “Goddess or not, my life is and always was yours to spend as you please, my queen.”

Celestia stepped up to Rarity and magically lifted Radiant off the ground so he wouldn’t further his injury. After listening to Twilight Sparkle, I’m glad at least some misled followers are still loyal and have good hearts. Even if she wanted to show such sentiment, it simply wasn’t done, at least not a ruler fresh from a nine hundred year gap. “And spend it I will. Just how widespread is enstripement?”

Ears wilting on both inquisitors, Rarity’s mouth went dry, and Radiant was still barely able to squeeze a word out that wasn’t pure agony.

“That much?” Celestia shook her head. “Take him to a healer first.” She looked behind her to see her sister was conversing with the same mare she wanted to. “Be ready to leave by the morrow. The sooner I reclaim the crown, the sooner I can clean up this mess. Oh,” she added with quick annoyance. “And stop all that groveling nonsense. A simple bow or salute is sufficient.”

“As you wish,” was all Rarity could muster. She was still in mild shock from facing down Luna herself. Rarity eased Radiant on to the sick tent, leaving Celestia to speak with her sister alone this time.


It had not been overly difficult to drag Luna away. Her younger sister was emotionally coming down, and needed time to compose herself.

The two alicorns retreated to the far edge of the village, and found a couple of picket guards to ward off anyone who might try to spy on them.

Here the firm ground around the village quickly gave way to soft cold mud with the slow flowing river showing the first signs of frost. The river and swamp beyond looked bleak and sickly, but at least the cold diminished the smell.

Luna brushed off a spot on the stone fence and sat down. “What a waste. Nine hundred years, and we missed all the wars.”

“I hope in all these years they’ve discovered some less bloody means of entertainment. Never did like the colosseum.”

“You always were too soft when it came to death, sister. Griffins, Minotaurs, the Nirik. There are beings out there that will always choose blood over words, war over peace no matter how much the world would benefit.” Shaking her head in disappointment, Luna looked away from her sister. “I had thought you learned that lesson when you finally declared war.”

“Beings like you?” Celestia countered flatly. “You made a civil war inevitable. I suppose, I was a fool to take fifty years to realize that.”

“Oh no, I tried diplomacy with you,” Luna bit back. “But you didn’t listen. You kept trying to answer failed diplomacy with more diplomacy. But I knew the truth. After that day, the only thing left to me was violence.”

“If we are to go to war, Lulu, it should be against the griffins or zebras, not our own ponies.” Celestia opted not to sit and stood at the edge of the mud and gazed emptily out over the water. “At least then the blood would be better spent.”

“Hmm, I can’t seem to remember who started that trend, Tia.” Luna held a firm smug grin at her scowling sister. “Can you refresh my memory?”

Shaking her head in disappointment, Celestia returned to looking out over the water. “There is no need to be snide. It doesn’t matter who is at fault anymore. This needs to end.”

Shrugging and moving on, Luna started preening her right wing. The feathers were still out of sorts from sleeping on them, and she had not bathed in the freezing river water. “Deflection always was your favorite defense. Is it any wonder your greatest warriors carry on that tradition?”

Refusing to rise to the bait, Celestia pressed on. “Such pettiness is beneath you, Luna,” she started firmly. “We can see our people united again. Our return can end the cycle of war between us.”

“Or reinvigorate the conflict like never before,” Luna retorted sharply. “I can’t even comprehend two hundred years, let alone nine hundred! By now my people are surely entirely different than what I remember. The warriors who brought us back are not even a scratch on the surface of that. Tartarus, the only reason they share a language is because the merchants are as aggressive as the soldiers. And by the looks of Twilight Sparkle, Equestria is just as ruthless. Just look at this Merchant’s Creed that is considered standard reading. Read rules thirty four and five.”

Growing equal parts curious and worried, Celestia turned to see her sister fishing out a travel book from her mane. It was a small but well cared for item. Cracking it open, the translation spell covered her eyes, changing the words she saw to make it readable. ‘War is good for business, and peace is good for business.’ Am I supposed to be surprised by this? Profiteering has been a thing ever since the first spear was made.”

Rolling her eyes, Luna tapped the book with a hoof. “The point is the rules are right next to each other. This aggression between our kingdoms has permeated the cultures so deeply, your dream of pacifist ponies all under one crown is impossible now.”

“It was never supposed to be just one crown.” Celestia closed the booklet and gently pressed it against Luna’s neck. “But you’re wrong. If a people can turn one way, they can turn another. The quill is a more powerful weapon than any sword.”

“Now who is the idealistic fool?” Returning the book into her mane, Luna’s tone matched her sister’s steel. “My people won’t accept ever being Equestrian again, and forcing them to is out of the question, the aggression they bear now is no different.”

Inhaling slowly, Celestia closed her eyes to think. “Then clearly we need a third option.”

“Such as..?” Luna chided half-playfully. “New Equestria?”

Rolling her head back and forth to feel the idea out, Celestia opened her eyes. “That could work, just under a different name.”

“You’re a hopeless romantic for a time lost to us.”

“Proof enough we are cut from the same cloth, dear sister.”

Scoffing at Celestia’s teasing, Luna felt her stomach growling, but ignored the hunger pangs for now. “Perhaps we are. I’m willing to entertain the idea of a new united nation if and only if enstripement is purged from Equestria. Your little declaration back there means nothing to me. No half measures this time.”

Turning her gaze towards the sick tent, a humorless grin crossed her lips. “If the fear my faithful servants cause your soldiers is justified, they will prove most valuable in this. At least, once I set a precedent for my lack of tolerance for the practice.”

Arching an intrigued eyebrow, Luna became more invested. “Care to illuminate me of your plan?”

Thinking things over for a bit, Celestia allowed a grim scowl fall over her. “ If I must speak the language of violence in this modern era, then that is where I will start. I won’t say a word one way or the other about enstripement until I secure the crown and the rest of the inquisition is made aware of my stance on the issue. I will have those here swear to silence over the matter until the time is right. I feel a grand demonstration will be needed, one that leaves no room for doubt. If these inquisitive ones are as reputable as they’ve been touted to be, I won’t have to wait long for an opportunity to do so.”

Fearing Celestia might slip into her permissive attitude again, Luna moved to be face to face with her taller sister. “I will give you until next frost to make your opening move, Tia. Stall any longer than that, and you can forget about unifying ponikind.”

“And if I do?”

“Act first, Tia, then we’ll talk.”


Currently at the sick tent, only Equestrians were present as the Lunarians had moved their wounded to a separate area. All told, there were only four patients, Radiant now included.

Said stallion’s agonized screams were muffled by the piece of wood in his mouth. Rarity magically held him in place while Suture set his broken shoulder and foreleg. The difficult task was only complicated by Suture’s lack of experience with such complicated injuries.

Fluttershy brought in some pain relief paste, and Lyra brought in cut pieces of wood to serve as splints. It took over an hour for Suture to feel confident enough to start applying them. Through it all, Rarity’s stiff upper lip was as utterly broken as his scapula and radius.

The end result was a broken stallion held together by sticks, tent poles, and torn bedsheets. Suture was an emotional mess as she had lost one patient quietly over the night due to the cold. “I’m sorry, you’re honor, without any proper supplies, this is the best I can do. He needs to be seen by a real doctor as soon as possible.”

“You’ve done what you could, thank you.” Rarity dismissed her with a head shake before she sat down on Radiant’s good side. The stallion had his broken leg tightly secured to a tent pole, keeping it locked in place. With the operation complete, Radiant opted to keep the bit close by should the pain spike if he moved wrong. The small piece of wood had deep indentions of teeth marks. His face was drenched in sweat, and his mane was stuck to his face.

She gently peeled it all out of his eyes and tried to magically spread Fluttershy’s ointment as gently as possible. “I’m going to get you back home, instructor. A warm bed, some reading material, and hot tea.”

A hissing painful laugh threatened to make him move, but he suppressed it enough to avoid the worst of it. “A nice cup of Earl Grey with two sugars would be marvelous right now.”

“Then it will be the first thing you get when we return home.”

“No,” he ordered with a tightened face. “Let the doctors and nurses do their job so you can do yours.” He held his good foreleg out for her to grab, but even that act jostled something that he shouldn’t have. He magically brought the bit back in his mouth to dull the pain all while Rarity spread more of the ointment over what exposed fur near the bones she could.

When he calmed down, Rarity held his foreleg as tightly as she dared. With strained fire in his eyes, he bore into her soul. “Promise me, child, promise me you will not hold this against the true queen. This - this is my penance for our hubris, you were left whole to carry out her will.”

“I promise.” Her words sounded unsure even to her.

Radiant Dawn magically tapped her on the forehead. “You may think that here.” He tapped her chest. “But you don’t believe it here.” Even though it pained him, he managed to slacken his face to a more serene expression. “But I know you will in due time. I have always been proud of you, my dear. Even when you failed, you kept going with your chin held high, and you were pious with your successes.”

Rather than be able to take the praise for what it was, Rarity only grew increasingly sullen. “Pious. All of our work, our prayer, our deeds, the scriptures, all of it was a lie. She never heard a word of any of it, not through malice or neglect, but because she was wholly incapable of it.”

“Perhaps not,” Radiant started firmly, realizing his mistake. “But that is ultimately irrelevant. If it truly mattered, then the moment we realized Mi Amora Cadenza could not hear our prayers Those closest to Cadenza would have demanded her head as a pretender. But they didn’t.”

Shaking her head, Rarity stared off in the general direction of Canterlot. “You and I both know its because a fracture in the inquisition is growing, instructor. Some have already pledged themselves wholly to Cadenza above Celestia, while many in our ranks only stay their hoof because the Grand Inquisitor forbade infighting. I don't know how he does it.”

“And this will only cripple us further when Celestia needs us most.” Further words failed him, and Radiant laid there in restless silence for a time. It was his duty and desire to impart his wisdom, to have at least a token word or two to inspire and reassure. Yet no speech came to mind. No sage advice to give her courage. When he felt she could wait no longer, Radiant magically pulled her close, so she would not see the rest of the patients watching. “These are uncertain times for us all, my dear.” Rarity wiped her running nose, and focused entirely on him, the other ponies around them fading away. He struggled to find some morsel of wisdom, but he was just as lost as she was. “In this dark sea that threatens to swallow us whole, and you are not alone. Either the Sisters try to either remain on stage, or they will draw the curtain back on their lack of godhood. Either way, I shudder at what happens now.”

For a minute or two, Rarity took his advice in dreary silence. Blinking away some tears, shame dragged her face to the floor. “She tried to warn me. Twilight Sparkle I mean.”

Narrowing his eyes, and weaving a privacy spell, Radiant Dawn waited to let her speak on her own time.

“The other day she told me, ‘the Sisters are who they are, not who we believe them to be.’ At the time, I thought she meant some tales about them were embellished. It made sense, exaggeration is part and parcel with such distant events. But I never thought she meant this.”

“To think… By your actions that day in Manehattan, you allowed the truth to see the light of day.” Radiant chuckled in spite of it all. “No matter what we choose to do moving forward, my dear, at the very least Lady Twilight granted us the gift and curse of the truth.

“The Sisters will want to leave soon. The feasting has cut our food supply down to a pittance, and the resupply that arrives tomorrow will prompt the Sisters into action no matter how broken their modern Equiss is. Can you pass my thanks to your old nemsis?” He winked at her.

“Your thanks?” Rarity a forlorn thread bare smile formed. “Yes, I suppose I can do that.”


Rarity did not have to look too far to find Celestia. Having parted from Luna, the alicorn was sitting near the manor ruins with Lyra. As the inquisitor got closer, she could hear the two were practicing speech lessons.

“You must flow into each word like water, like I am doing now.” Although Lyra’s injury had avoided her throat, the radiating pain of it softened her voice.

Showing strained patience, Celestia memorized a sentence, and then tried to speak without the translation spell. “Married ladies. Don’t. Like to be swooned. By Cheese.”

Celestia’s speech grated on Rarity’s ears like grinding metal. She kept a respectful distance until the queen noticed her.

“How about you? Any improvement, inquisitive?”

Rarity was pleasantly surprised Celestia spoke without her translator, even if it kept getting her title wrong. “My title is pronounced inquisitor. And yes, it is certainly a step in the right direction to be sure. May I ask for a moment of your time, your majesty?” A part of her was sullen by the lesser honorific, but she hid it well.

“Inquisitor… inquisitor,” Celestia repeated, testing out the word. “Yes, of course.” She looked towards Lyra. “You may take your leave, and thank you.”

“Always a pleasure to serve you,” Lyra bowed before her. “If you like, I can play some music later during dinner.”

I get enough music just listening to all of you ‘speak’. Giving her best diplomatic smile, Celestia nodded. “A lyre would. Be. An excellent distraction.”

Once the musician started walking away, Celestia resumed using her translator full time to avoid the oncoming headache of having to try and sing a conversation. She had entertained every one of her loyalists in camp, save the most important ones. With Rarity, she wanted to be understood perfectly. “I want you to know I am glad you stood up for your father.”

Blushing crimson red, Rarity vigorously shook her head. “My apologies, my queen, but he is not my father.” Seeing the bemusement from the alicorn, Rarity went on. “Most inquisitors are selected at a young age from orphanages or at times among the homeless. This is so we have a level of humility nothing else can teach. Radiant Dawn is the one who took me and my sister in.”

Though she kept her words short, Celestia could hear the warmth with which Rarity spoke of him. “I see. Forgive me for acting so callous towards him then. Family, official or not, is precious.”

Nodding her understanding, Rarity pressed on. “You are too kind. I came regarding Lady Twilight Sparkle, and request a full pardon on her behalf.”

“The arbiter? Why would-” Celestia stopped to think over why such a request would be asked. “…You feel responsible for her defection.”

“I am directly responsible. A few years ago, I caught her in the act of servant - I caught her slave running. In my attempts to apprehend her, she successfully fled to Lunaria. While it is within my power to absolve her of slave running, only the queen may pardon treason. An act that would not have taken place if we knew of your position on enstripement from the beginning.”

Rubbing her chin, Celestia scanned the village for any sign of her sister or the demicorn. “Do you believe the pardon would entice her to return to Equestria?”

Looking away in shame, Rarity fought the urge to dig at the ground. “No. She formed a new house in Lunaria and now carries the child of a thestral.”

“She was allowed to form a new house on her own?” At the very least the pardon would appease Luna. Might even get her to take my unification idea more seriously. A thought struck her at that moment. “Inquisitor… In my time, demicorns were pariahs at best and killed at birth more times than not. Their uncontrollable horns are a terrible fire hazard, and have been known to burn more than one town to ashes. Has fire prevention improved that much, have our people moved beyond such sentiments, or is she the scion to a powerful house?”

Having partially expected such a question, Rarity only had to think for a moment. “Yes to all of that. She used to be the heir of House Light, a prominent family among Canterlot, many say the most important in recent years.”

“How important?”

“‘Twilight’s brother is married to Queen Cadenza’ important,” Rarity answered with a shiver. “And it is said she is late with foal.”

Locking a terse gaze upon the unicorn, Celestia ultimately sighed with exasperation. What a mess I have to clean up. “I suspect you have already suffered enough from this scandal. Yes, I will pardon Twilight of all charges, and she is free to travel in Equestria under my personal protection. I will have an official passport written up when things settle down. You may tell her now if you wish, but I want you to impress upon her and everypony else that she can not make it public knowledge until after I formally address enstripement. When I do, you can be sure the world will hear of it.”

Bowing to leave, Rarity felt a lighter in her step. “Thank you, your highness. I’m certain this will make Cadenza more willing to abdicate peacefully.”

One can only hope. The last thing I need is Candenza Land or some such nonsense. “Speaking of Cadenza,” Celestia stopped as a different thought occurred to her. “She can wait. Do you know how influential Lady Twilight is in Lunaria?”

“Enough that Radiant and I believe that she is the one truly in charge of the expedition, or at least responsible for its formation.”

Mulling it over, Celestia pondered everything she had learned since awaking. Slowly at first, an idea started to crystallize, but time was short. This conference of a sort will not last. Luna and I will go to our respective capitals and then we will be bogged down in matters of state. I need something concrete before that happens. Then it struck her like a lightning bolt. Celestia gazed out to the tree obscured horizon. “You said her name is Twilight Sparkle, yes? An odd name for one so close to the solar crown is it not?”

“I have never experienced childbirth myself,” Rarity began with what she thought was shared bemusement. “So I can not say what goes through a new mother’s mind during the moment of naming, but her mother is Twilight Velvet,” she added, unsure of the significance.

“I have not had a child either, but in my time, some believe there is a moment of impossible clarity, a vision that is lost the instant the foal’s name is given. It’s possible her mother was just uninspired, but I can’t shake the feeling… If the old mare’s tale is true, then perhaps Twilight Sparkle is the key to something new. Go, and share the pardon with her, I have work to do before we all leave.”


Sitting on top of a house, Twilight Sparkle and Silver Vein were alone as they looked out over the water. The trees had turned fully into browns, reds, and yellows. The pot and cups of tea were long since drained. Rather than get up, the couple had fallen into contemplative silence. They are huddled together for warmth, with Twilight resting her head against Silver’s own. Both of their manes were static riddled messes now, but he didn’t complain, content to just let her rest against him.

Even with the active commotion coming from camp, it did little to disturb the silent repose. Their great task had been done. Sure, others would soon follow, but in this fragile moment, knowing the guns would go silent, they could rest.

As for Twilight, the stallion was a comfortable source of warmth and peaceful affection, like sitting on a hill of flowers on a summer’s day. Eventually, she fell asleep next to him, and only woke hours later when a triangle clattered in the distance, signaling lunch was served.

Caught between not wanting to wake her, Silver remained, even though the wing she was leaning against had gone numb. It was only Pinkie Pie’s timely arrival with three sets of tin bowls did Twilight fully return to the waking world.

“I thought I saw you two,” Pinkie announced in a much less energetic, yet not a sad tone to her usual. “Double portions for you, Twilly.”

Blinking some sleep away, Twilight shimmied to the side a bit to blush some of Silver’s frizzled mane out of his eyes. They shared a warm smile before she looked at her sister and claimed the offered bowls. “Is it lunch time already?” She yawned behind a hoof as she inspected the food. “Back to salted pork, I see.”

“The last of the fresh fruit and the like are being rationed for the Sisters.” Pinkie passed a bowl to Silver.

“Knowing you, Pinkie, you slipped in some pepper for us.” Silver nodded in gratitude. “How’s everypony taking things?”

Pinkie shook her head. “Most didn’t want to believe the sisters refuted being gods as a mistranslation. But now that they can speak more clearly for themselves, even the hardliners have been left thinking things over. As for how they’re taking it… silently so far. I think most of the Ninety Second just want to get home first before somepony snaps…”

Drinking some of the broth and having to use her tongue to fish bites of pork out of the bowl, Twilight was embarrassed by the lack of silverware, but not enough so to go fetch some. “How are the Inquisitors taking it?”

“I haven’t seen much of them.” Pinkie Pie leaned against the squat house, trying to take in the scenery, but the mood just wasn’t there. “Twilight… are you sure we did the right thing? So many people are going to be hurt or worse over this.”

“If you don’t mind,” Silver started tactfully. “I’d like to answer that.”

“And I’d like to hear it,” came a stressed familiar voice.

The three turned to find Rarity Belle had quietly weaved through the village's thin streets to approach without notice. Her mane may have been neatly brushed, and her mascara clean, but nothing could hide the turmoil on her face and the shaky emotion in her voice. One thing everyone noticed was that she lacked her duster, and had come as just herself.

Even without her signs of office, everyone was put on edge. “I have not come to quarrel with you,” Rarity insisted. “I have come bearing news of a full pardon.”

Dumbfounded, Pinkie Pie looked at her sister with mute astonishment. Silver was left just as baffled. Twilight had to jump start her brain to think to stand up out of basic respect. “I’m not sure I understand.”

“I informed Celestia about the Manehatten incident.” Rarity cleared her throat as her voice started to warble a bit. “In her great wisdom, Celestia has granted you a full pardon, and will personally void your status as persona non grata within the royal court.”

Clutching her chest and feeling shaky on her legs, Twilight had to take a long moment to process it. “I - I don’t know what to say. I suspected she might pardon the slave running as a show of good faith to Luna but everything else?”

I don’t know what, but Celestia has plans for you. Rarity stepped closer, stopping at the first sign of discomfort from them. “For what it is worth, Twilight Sparkle, you had the right of it. Enstripement is antithetical to Celestia’s wishes, and with my instructor so badly injured, I will be spearheading her efforts in uprooting it. If it would not be to inconvenient, I’m sure the Crown would be further in your debt if you could lend a word or two in helping Equestria economically move away from our dependence on it.”

“Naturally I’d have to clear this with Luna but…” Twilight roped Silver in with a wing-hug. “I’d have to see how well both sides of my family like each other first.”

Bowing her head, a ghost of a playful smile fell upon her. “I understand all too well. In the meantime, Celestia requires you to keep this pardon a secret to all except Luna. The queen wants to make an example out of enstripement, and doesn’t want to arise suspicion until she is ready to act.”

“When will that happen?” Pinkie chimed in. Memories of the Light family’s servants being freed filled her heart with excitement. “They better make sure there’s a transcript of the speech she’ll make when it happens.”

“To share Celestia's own words. When it happens, you will know. Everypony will know.”

Author's Note:

So. Who here thinks Cadence will take this laying down? Any takers?

PreviousChapters Next