• Published 6th Nov 2020
  • 5,760 Views, 705 Comments

A Clash of Magic and Steam - law abiding pony



The Fire of Friendship that once united ponykind has all but faded. One thousand years ago, Equestria fractured... those who disagreed with Celestia's rule left under the leadership of Princess Luna to found their own nation, their own way of life.

  • ...
7
 705
 5,760

PreviousChapters Next
39: Sister Act

Explosions, gunsmoke, and the wails of the wounded assailed Powder Burn. The earth stallion was marching in formation with his unit, hugging a war engine as close as its wheels churning on the broken ground would allow. Laid ahead of him was a line of Equestrians rifles. During the early months of the war, the engine’s dampener would have been peppered by ammunition imbued with shadow, fire, acid, and a myriad of others. It had all fallen away for ice. Even as he walked alongside the engine, the volleys of icy bullets remained intact just long enough to sprinkle his nose in dust, where before other rounds faded before he could even flinch.

A two note horn blast from the engine whistled painfully loud. His column and the engine halted, they were in range now. His line sat on the trampled grass, brought up their new Bessy rifles and with a smooth practiced motion, kicked out the bipod. The much bigger line of Equestrian soldiers arrayed against him fired again. The wall of ice struck the dampening field, and the spray of snow flurries was so thick thier line disappeared beyond it. “Fire!”

The rifle bucked in his shoulder, and the bipod tore at the ground. Dozens of Equestrians fell, but nowhere near enough. Powder and his line worked the lever, his Equestrian counterparts could not. He fired again, seeing his bullet strike true. The Equestrian line did not buckle as dozens of unicorns pushed forward and summoned one long angled shield.

He fired again, the volley was largely deflected away. This time, the engine’s cannon spoke. A cheer rang out from his line as a shield mage was pulped by the ball, opening a hole that was hastily patched up.

Distant booms sounded from behind the Equestrian line. In frozen horror he saw cannonballs of uncaring iron bounce off the grassy ground in front of him. So terrified, he stopped mid-aim as the ball grew larger and closer. The soldiers behind him fired, seemingly uncaring about the certain death screaming straight at them. He flinched, only for the ball to miss him by inches. The mare to his left and all those behind her were not so lucky.

“Keep firing!” His commander from on top of the engine demanded as the engine’s cannon barked again. “We have to take that hill!” A second cannonball slams into the engine and bounced off of it, and kareening straight for Powder, he flinched away and closed his eyes. The end did not come.

It took him a while to realize he was still standing, a little longer to notice there were no sounds of battle. Opening his eyes he found himself standing on a small flower covered hill overlooking a military field camp. Hundreds of rows of tents with double that number of ponies coming and going. Some sang songs that were lost to the wind, others carried water, and others simply chatted with one another or sparred with pikes and swords.

“War certainly has changed since I last knew it,” a strong feminine voice called out to him.

“It has?” He rocked on his legs, feeling a strange absence. He looked down at his forelegs and was astonished that both remained whole. It dawned on Powder Burn that he was dreaming. However, only thestrals could have such control over their own dreams to know that unless… He felt a presence to his left and turned in excited haste.

A boulder warped and reshaped itself until Luna, his patron goddess, stood before him with a proud smile. “Oh yes, you have weapons far worse than arrows to contend with compared to my own time, I can see why your emperor does not lead from the front. Do not feel disgraced by your fear. I doubt many can claim to have survived such a wound.”

His mind was thrown back into that battlefield and his eyes went vacant. He remembered the cannonball that had taken his forelegs as if it was moments ago. The feeling of lying on the ground howling in pain as his column marched around him froze his heart. “The Equestrian infantry kept using magic rounds to keep us bunched up next to the engines, while their solid shot artillery cut us down. I heard they kept the cannon shot small enough to keep from stopping the engines too quickly.” Tears welled in his eyes as the faces of friends and battle brothers, both dead and captured filled his mind. He collapsed to the ground in the same way he had done before on that fateful day, weeping both for them, and for shaming himself in front of his goddess for such a display. So many times before during prayer, he would always confess fears, doubts, and would weep to her like he could never do in front of his fellows. However, with Luna here before him, there was no barrier between him and her, no filter to hide behind, for Luna sees all. So he didn’t bother trying, for if anyone already knew his pain, it would be her. “We failed you, your holiness. We tried, we we tried so hard-”

Luna was quick to wrap him up in her wings and held the broken veteran close. For the longest time, she cradled him like a mother, allowing him to weep his pain into her shoulder. Slowly, when his dignity tried to resurface and he started controlling himself once more, Luna released him, and gave the grieving pony a motherly look of pride. It was one she had far too much practice on during her own war. “I do not see this war as a failure, Powder Burn.”

“You know my name?!” Her appearance was a gift as it was, but to be known by his goddess by name?

Giving a sidelong grin, Luna replied, “I heard one of your friends say it back there. But heed me. Our nation has endured much in this last war, and you have all suffered, but Lunaria remains. It has done so for far longer than I had even thought possible.” She helped him stand once more, only this time, his real prosthetic forelegs had appeared. They were crude things, but it kept him out of a chair. “You must remain strong with your head held high, not just for your country, but for yourself, and those who care for you.”

Coming from Luna, Powder could stomach no excuse. “I will give my all, your holiness!”

Hiding her forlorn sadness, Luna masked it as best she could with confidence. “None of that, soldier. I am here among you once more. Once I take the throne, “your grace”, will do.”

A bit confused, but not one to argue over it, Powder nodded crisply. “As, your grace, my apologies.”

“You did your duty and brought honor to your name, you have nothing to apologize for.” Luna couldn’t find it in her heart to straight up tell him she was no goddess. He was already so badly damaged, that she feared the knowledge could break him before he had a chance to find his footing again. So instead, she chose to try and lift him up. “A more philosophical leader than me once said: struggle is the test of a pony. War is the supreme struggle.” With a hoof, she gently guided his chin so his eyes met hers. “You may not think it, but you passed that test. Yes, you are damaged, you may even believe the war broke you. But in you I see Lunaria itself, and I see the strength to pick up the pieces and rebuild yourself to be stronger than before!” She rocked him a bit to hammer it home.

When she let go of his chin, there was a change. His eyes hardened. He looked down at his prosthetic limbs for a spell. He struggled to his hooves, with Luna backing away to give him space. “You are too kind, your grace. I-.. He dearly wished he could think of something profound to say, but words failed him, so he ran with it. “My words may fail me, but I will not fail you, your grace.”

She lingered a bit, hoping he would retain that fire. “I must go and help your brothers and sisters in arms. Sleep well, Powder Burn.”

Luna’s form evaporated. Instead of remaining on that hill, Powder now found himself sitting in a tavern with five of his best friends with wooden mugs cheering for him to join the festivities. Drink and mares were in abundance, and for the first time in months, Powder slept well.


Luna’s dream walking and rumors seeded by the Ninety Second denying Luna’s divinity had swept through Mechiburg for nearly a month now. Murmurings among the populous were rife with scandal and the Lunar Church was desperate to put it to an end.

The city mayor slipped the last of his cold coffee as he finished the night’s efforts on arranging transport to the new world, and he was not alone with Luna. One of his aides recorded everything, but more importantly to Luna, Twilight Sparkle was present to assist Luna with technological knowledge she was lacking.

The war was over, but with so much land having been lost, more people than ever wished to deal with griffins as neighbors rather than Equestria. Even now, tent cities and a growing number of slums were cropping up anywhere refugees could get away with it. The city had over prepared itself for a siege, but if the refugees did not start leaving en masse soon, things could get dangerous.

Sighing with mounting fatigue, Luna stood up to look out over her people. The euphoria of her return still lingered, but she could see the need for normality was returning. Their troubles grow, and this cheer of theirs will rot on the vine if I do not act quickly enough.

Ultimately, she knew her efforts in this were already reaching their limit. The navy had escorted the only two ocean liners which were hazardously overcrowded before she had arrived. Unfortunately, her appearance had halted those efforts entirely. Metal ships still boggled her mind, let alone vessels of such size and power, but she saved such musings for privacy or when she was alone with Twilight or Rainbow.

A frantic knock on the door disturbed the proceedings as a priestly robed stallion barged through the door with the hapless secretary trying to stop him. Barely a moment later, a soldier flew over the secretary and drew a pistol on him. “Move again and it’ll be your last!”

“Your holiness,” the young stallion cried as he prostrated himself. “I beg you for an audience.”

The mayor propped himself up on the desk to scold the intruder. “Father Graceful Flame, what is the meaning of this?”

Twilight remained by the panoramic windows while Luna had been close to the desk.

Luna had been expecting something like this for a week now after she had visited a number of clergy members, but she had to act the part of being insulted. Even so, she left her tone friendly, yet invoking forbearance. “At ease trooper, and you, pick your face up off the floor so I can hear you.”

The preacher struggled back up to his hooves. His mad dash through city hall to avoid the soldier from stopping him was more exercise than he had had in years. “Your Holiness, I have tried to rebuke these rumors, but more and more of the flock are questioning your divinity. Not even my brethren of the cloth stand in unison! They say prayers go unanswered, and many continue to have nightmares from their time in battle, while others confess that you appeared in their dreams saying you are no goddess!”

The mix of confused faces, especially from the mayor, made Luna sweat.

I warned her she should have been visiting the ruling elites more than she has been. How do you think you can keep the peace faster? Informing a few ministers or trying to get the whole population first? Twilight leveled a tactful, but clearly annoyed eye at the alicorn.

Luna shook off Twilight’s displeasure by throwing up an air of confidence. “Then it seems my message has been getting through to the waking world,” Luna huffed irritably, more at herself, but everyone except Twilight saw it as annoyance towards the preacher. “I planned on making this announcement in the waking world at the coronation, but those of you in this room might as well know now. I am the same mare your ancestors rose up to fight alongside. I bled beside them and called many of them my friend. But make no mistake, I am no goddess, and your foremothers never saw me as one.”

“But…” Graceful Flame shook his head to clear his thoughts. “I beg of you, please tell me you speak in jest!”

Even the mayor was shaken. “Truly? But surely you’re being unnecessarily modest, yes?”

“I most assuredly am not,” Luna declared firmly. “To make such a claim would be a sin of hubris of the highest order.”

Twilight’s ear perked up at that, and she gave a hum of curiosity.

“So it is true after all?” The soldier dumbly asked before realizing he was speaking out of turn. When Luna’s eyes fell upon him, he hastily saluted instead of bowing out of instinct. By the time he realized his second mistake he dithered on if he should let move or correct himself. “My deepest apologies, your grace!”

Luna always had a soft spot for soldiers, and leveled a nodding grin. “Be at ease, soldier. You may return to your post.”

As the soldier departed, Luna’s next comment was cut short when the pneumatic tube along the wall closest to the mayor started rattling. Moments later, a red capsule popped into place.

“Red!?” The mayor bowed to Luna. “My apologies. But red is only used for extreme urgency.” With Luna waving him over to it, the mayor’s aide was quick to claim the capsule in her magic, and opened it to read. “Urgent from the Navy. The Emperor’s fleet has been spotted on the horizon. Time to dock: twelve hours.”

The room became electric with excitement. To the last, everyone was eager for Luna to take the throne after hearing Celestia had done the same weeks prior. For Luna, it also meant she’d finally be able to formally enter negotiations to write up a peace treaty.

With a side-grin on her face, Luna returned her attention to the priest. “Fear not, Father. Since all eyes will be on the coronation, I will address the matter immediately before taking the throne.”

“You mean the faith you follow?” Twilight guessed with practiced grace. When Luna and the priest looked at her with surprised respect and astonishment, Twilight clarified. “You said calling yourself a goddess would be a sin not a crime.”

Luna was pleasantly surprised by the question, though she hid it well. “You are well read, Lady Twilight, do you know of Terra?”

Tilting her head a bit, Twilight shook her head. “Is that an old name for the Green Mother?”

Her face wilting, Luna sighed out of sorrow. “No, it isn’t, although my sister thinks so. If you haven’t even heard the name, then all knowledge of it must have faded. Perhaps the druids know of Terra...” Summoning her emotional strength, Luna snorted to clear the air. “There is still much to do, but matters of the spirit are no less important. Father Graceful Flame. I share your pain, though the cause differs. I will have need of the church in due time.”

“To spread the word of Terra?” If Luna bowed to a power higher than herself, then Graceful fed the fire of his faith with anticipation upon seeing her nod. “Then I will hold the flock together and await your truth!”


Emperor Eclipse found himself standing on the battlements of his palace with his empress at his side. The earthen mare was dressed finely and he was lucky to actually love his wife. Together, sharing some fine wine and grapes, the pair watched the heavens as a meteor shower lit up the night sky. It was a dazzling display of lights that made her happy, which was enough for him.

Matters of state made such moments dearly precious, as reliving them, even in dreams was rare. So rare in fact that Eclipse was not taken aback by suddenly coming to realize he was dreaming.

His empress rested her head against him when a silhouetted face appeared on the moon. “I wish I did not have to interrupt such a blissful dream,” the moon apologized.

The empress yawned and started dozing against him. Eclipse gently placed her on the ground so he could speak properly. “Your holiness… or would you prefer your grace?”

The face on the moon twisted until Luna stepped out. “You are either quite perspective, or you heeded Lady Twilight better than she believes.”

He bowed before her, his heart leaping for joy. However, he was not a pony who had the luxury to avoid matters of state. “By the time she came to me with your journals, I thought she had been a gift from you. She is an industrious and cunning scholar with a rare gift to inspire the loyalty and friendship of others. While some people's loyalty is worth their weight in gold, hers is, amusingly enough, worth its weight in aluminum.”

“I should be angry that my private thoughts are being so widely shared,” Luna quipped with a smirk. “But I’ll let it pass this time.”

“You are far and above too kind, your grace.”

Luna landed close by. Her beauty was everything he had imagined. She was a warrior queen with the poise and grace that shamed all other mares before her. “Twilight’s praise for you is equally generous. It took courage to see past faith to patronize her expedition. Rare is the soul that willingly surrenders power.”

“It is the oath every emperor swears upon accepting the throne. To seek you out and return that which rightfully belongs to you. To do any less is not only shameful, but would delegitimize my family’s rule for these last nine hundred years.” Eclipse tried summoning some wine glasses, and found it easy to accomplish. He presented one to her. “To abdicate to you would not only be a great honor, but would allow my forbearers to rest easy knowing my family’s honor was upheld to the very end.”

With a grateful smile, Luna accepted the glass and they toasted. The wine was both strange and delicious to her. “As much as I would prefer to simply be friends with a chivalrous stallion such as you, I do have important matters to ask.”

Giving off a halting laugh, Eclipse swirled his glass, refilling it in the process. “I suppose not even dreams can be an escape for me now.”

“They can be again, but I have come on behalf of Lunaria, and on Twilight’s suggestion. Although to be fair, Captain Rainbow Dash claims this was her idea.” Luna dithered a bit to build suspense. “You need not step down. Instead, we could marry.”

Eclipse dropped his glass out of shock. “Marry?!”

Luna willed the broken glass away and created a new one for him. “Yes. A blind mare can see you are both beloved and a capable leader. I…” Luna’s eyes fell upon Eclipse’s sleeping wife. “Know she passed away due to childbirth. I would not want to replace her in your heart, but I feel it would make the people happier.”

A sad snort escaped him, and Eclipse set his glass down on a battlement. “Your offer is a kind one, but I must respectfully decline. That same oath that demands I abdicate to you still stands. I know Lady Twilight speaks out of pragmatism and the good captain speaks out of staunch loyalty, but it would be seen by most that I am clinging to power. It would disgrace my house, and a scandal such as this is the last thing we need. The people's efforts should be on rebuilding, not calling for my head.”

“You honestly believe the same ponies who love you would turn on you so readily?” Luna felt less sure of herself now.

Eclipse didn’t want to say it, but felt it dragged out of him. “To a modern Lunarian, to be a noble is to truly embody the word. Failure to do so is not taken lightly or bloodlessly as often is the case. You set the example that day when Celestia forsook her honor in defending the robber barons of old.” He sipped his wine, barely tasting it. “The commoners try their damnedest I say, but the poor are not expected to conduct themselves to the same level as a noble, let alone an emperor. When you can’t find enough coin to feed yourself, honor becomes a luxury.

“Please believe that I am happy to return the throne to you, but I can not be the one you marry.”

Luna closed her eyes and gave a slow breath. “I understand. In that case, ask anything of me. If it is within my power, I will grant any wish you have.”

“A wish?” Eclipse took up his glass once more and raised it to the moon. “I wish to one day walk on the moon. To go beyond this world and to visit your stars! Barring that, some descendent of mine accomplishes this feat.”

Luna couldn’t help but to laugh behind a hoof. “Walk on the moon? The stars?” She calmed a bit. “If it is ever seen as possible, I will ensure your son or daughter is the first to set hoof there.”


The following evening, Mechiburg was alive with barely restrained energy. The emperor’s ship had docked and his procession was headed straight for town square. Luna could have placed this meeting anywhere, but she wanted it here, in the commons.

There would be no ostentatious pageantry today. Nothing more than what rolled-up navy blue carpets they could find, and an award stand absconded from the university. Her people might argue otherwise, but Luna wouldn’t have it. Mechiburg needed to save its money for other matters, not a ceremonial budget that would cripple the city for years to come.

It was perhaps a hold over from the first years of her kingdom’s existence. With few noble houses supporting her independence, she had grown accustomed to making do with scraps.

While Twilight was quietly appalled by the slapdash nature of it, she was hardly going to make a scene. No. As she stood behind and to the left of Luna, watching the Emperor making his way over on hoof, she was more concerned by daydreams of finally making it back home to her workbench. Cooking up new inventions that could reshape the world was all she truly wanted. That, and her growing pregnancy was making travel difficult.

To Luna’s right, Rainbow Dash was practically vibrating with excitement. The honor of standing there during Luna’s ascent to the throne was an honor she still couldn’t wrap her mind around. What she did know was that history books would surely sing her praises for eons to come. Nay! Her name would be synonymous with freedom! Ponies would look to the stars and would think of Luna first, but Rainbow second. Since Twilight will be old as dirt before she dies, she better give the Ninety second and me a whole chapter in her memoirs. No, a whole book just for us!

As for Luna, her attention was split. The emperor and his entourage dominated her attention, but she watched the crowd insistently. The square was absolutely crammed with citizens and refugees alike. The dimming sunset washed the clouds of fliers in a warm light. Everyone who could move was present. The eager, adoring faces filled her heart with hope. Even after all this time, her people loved her. Or, a troubled thought crept in, do they love me because they think I am a goddess?

Rainbow’s rumors and wild tales of Luna’s dreamwork had spread up and down Mechiburg. A great deal of people knew Luna’s truth,but far too many still waited for her nightly works.

The cheering crowd quieted as Emperor Eclipse made his final approach. His string of advisors and attendants fanned out so each could display their loyalty. Everyone, save Luna, bowed to him, because he bowed to her. “My goddess, I can not express how much your people have longed for this day.”

Her face wilted a bit. “Rise, please.” When Eclipse did so she continued. “Now that you are here, there is something that must be said before I can take the throne.”

A speech was expected, although he had assumed it would have been after he abdicated. He banished his confused pause with a submissive nod. “Far be for me to deny you.” Correctly assuming she wanted to take to the air, he backed away to be parallel to his chancellor and Archbishop Faithful Hymn.

Luna jumped into a hover several feet into the air. When she started speaking, she would rotate so all could see her face, but she used magic to project her voice. “My dear citizens, I can not express how proud I am of your continued struggle against Equestrian dominance. Over these short and daunting weeks, I have heard and read stories of great heroism and self-sacrifice that would make your ancestors proud. Although this war turned against you, our brave soldiers and sailors gave their lives and risked their freedom so that our banner would still fly! And while we have been bloodied, I assure you that if Equestria comes for us again, it is they who will suffer for it!” She ended with a shout, eliciting thunderous applause and echoing warcries.

“That said,” she began after the cheering was starting to drag on. “My biggest regret is that for these last nine hundred years, I couldn’t be there with you. Through spell, shot, and steel, my place was to be with you, and I wasn’t. For that, you have my deepest apologies.” She gave a moment’s pause. “That being said, I know what many of you may be thinking, something I have told many of you in your dreams. I wish I was there, along the walls and formations. Through trials and tribulations. That I wish I could have been there to listen to your plight. But I…”

The thought of so many holding onto a comforting lie and ripping it away from them pained her so much her words failed her. It was easier on an individual level inside of dreams. A single pony was easy to explain things to, and even then she couldn’t always manage it. To do so in front of a city was daunting.

Only by chance did her gaze fall upon Twilight Sparkle. The pegacorn subtly nodded. Renewing Luna’s resolve. My people are better than that. How can I hope to rule off of such a profound lie? She focused once more on the thousands of faces hanging on her every word. “The fact is that, as much as I wish that I could do all those things, I wasn’t there. I could not hear your prayers, nor could I watch over you. Because I am not a goddess, nor is my sister. No alicorn is a god for that matter,” she added with dire steel. “All of you need to know this before I can accept the throne.”

Whispers sprung up immediately among the crowd. The rumors and dreams being vindicated caused a surge of debate and quiet shouting that rippled through the crowd from front or back. It might have broken into violence had Rainbow's company not been providing security. Even the city garrison was left paralyzed.

Barely fifty feet away, First Sergeant Jacks’ ears twitched to some harsh tones. Some pegasi and thestrals were arguing, and he could see a fight before it happened, and moved to intervene.

Similar scenes were cropping up by the second the longer Luna’s silence dragged on.

While the Ninety Second was bluntly keeping the peace, Luna knew they didn’t have the numbers to do it for long. Even with all her efforts, there were simply too many people for her to visit everyone in person. Eclipse had expected this, and glanced back at his personal mage to signal a voice projection. “Your grace, may I?”

His seeming foreknowledge of this stunned Faithful Hymn who held his tongue out of inability to speak rather than respect. Even so, the old unicorn’s face and stance were caught between fire and brimstone and demanding answers.

Luna landed gently back on her stand, holding herself high all the same. “It is as you feared. Please, you know them best.”

Faithful stumbled at the request. Eclipse had hastily prepared some key arguments since the dream, but needed a few moments to put them into proper words. He was not deaf to the growing dissent coming from the crowd and stomped the cobblestone. He wasn’t ready, but he needed to act before his Honor Guard felt the need to retreat or assail the crowd before it became a mob. “Citizens, heed me!”

If Luna’s admission caused chaos, his booming command silenced it. A second court mage levitated a small dais for him to stand on above everyone’s heads. Now that everyone could see him and the imperial crown resting upon his brow, any returning murmurs died before they could resume. He scanned the crowd, making eye contact with as many as he could. “Some of you remember the oath my house made when Luna was taken from us all those years ago. King Crescent Shadow, first of his line, swore upon taking the throne that should Luna return, that the throne would return to her.

“If anypony knew her best, it would have been those who fought beside her all those years ago. Who abandoned the injustices in Equestria and risked everything in the hope that Luna could see what her sister could not.” His voice grew more commanding now, daring dissent to show itself again. “If Luna is so firm with this denial, then all of our foremothers knew this truth, and swore to serve a pony. One of great power, true, but still-” Eclipse paused, still trying to soften his tone, to show he shared their pain. “A pony. She is the same pony who broke from her blinded sister to give our founders a better life. It was she who led our warriors from the front when Celestia tried to take us by force of arms. She, who slept in the mud so our wounded forebearers had a tent to protect them. It was she, who gave up the luxury and comfort of the palace to live as a pauper alongside our ancestors as they built new homes and lives here on this very soil! How can we denounce and deride her for not being a goddess when it was we who claimed she was?

“Well I say nay!” He returned to his commanding tone to shame such notions. “She gave us the strength to resist the tyrants of old, and she will do so again!

He thrust his right hoof into the air. “She protects!”

Almost to the last, everyone repeated the gesture. “She protects!” The crowd cried out in renewed vigor.

Eclipse turned around so the others could see his devotion. “She protects!” He shouted hard enough to make his throat sore.

“She protects!” The crowd was deafening now.

Everyone, save Luna herself, echoed his salute again and again.

At last he waved for silence, and upon receiving it, he turned back to Luna, remaining on his floating dais so no one would miss it. “Your grace…”

The air was electric as he carefully removed the crown from his head and presented it to Luna. “It is my privilege to discharge my family oath. What once was yours, is returned to you.”

Luna flew up to hover slightly above him. She claimed the crown, taking a brief moment to marvel at how her old crown of a silver band with a crest of her mark of destiny had evolved into an intricate piece of art of silver and gems lined with exquisite fur. The moment she placed it on her brow, Eclipse’s dais was lowered down until he was just a head above the crowd. “All hail Empress Luna, long may she reign!”

His Imperial Guard behind him cried out, “Long live the Empress!”

Twilight and Rainbow followed, and after them, the vast majority of the crowd started chanting “Empress Luna! Empress Luna!”

The alicorn inclined her head to Eclipse before facing her exuberant citizens. The cheering surged anew. The adulation she feared losing remained, and Luna was all too happy to bask in it.

Down below, Twilight was happy for her, but she kept her eyes on the ground. Through the forest of raised hooves and cheering smiles, she spotted more than one face of betrayal or false grins to fool their neighbors. The crowd was too dense for her to identify any of them, not that she could ultimately do much about it. Just warn Luna and Rainbow about it, and endure the trip back home. It’s not my business.


Bright and early in Canterlot, Celestia, Sunset Shimmer, and Cadence were all waiting in a sitting room just outside of a box seat balcony in the local hoofball stadium. Sporting events were not the order of the day, and yet this was the best place for Celestia to do what must be done.

Cadence was doing some breathing exercises to stay calm and regal, and only stopped when she noticed Celestia was watching her. “S-sorry, it’s a calming technique my father taught me.” When Celestia replied with a neutral “ah”, Cadence saw it as an opening to speak. “I must say, I’m glad you approved of my idea of a summit with the movers and shakers of the stripe industry. And equally surprised you disapprove of the practice.”

Disapprove? Sunset Shimmer mused as she tactfully watched Celestia. That's certainly not the word I would choose. Even now, the elder alicorn unsettled her. Not only did Celestia carry herself with utter confidence and self-respect that surpassed even the last queen Corona, but the alicorn was a champion at maintaining a diplomatic face, save for when enstripment was brought up. Others may have missed the signs, but one does not achieve the role of majordomo by being oblivious. If inquisitors were masters at reading a pony, Sunset could do one better. It had taken her only a day after first meeting Celestia to arrange work schedules so that absolutely no servants were to ever work anywhere near the queen. Three days after that, Sunset had gone so far as to start quietly shuffling the castle’s workers, purging all the servants she could, and as quickly as she could. Replacing them with regular staff wasn’t overly difficult when staffers in other government buildings would kill to work in the palace.

The one thing she did not do however, was to spread this observation to a single soul, not even her political allies. If there was one other thing Sunset noticed, is that Celestia kept her stance on enstripement close to the chest, and all the allies she had were not worth the alicorn’s wrath. If Sunset harbored any doubt in this assessment, today would serve to confirm it, of that she was sure.

Upon hearing Cadence’s words, Celestia’s professional smile leaked a vindictive grin. A barely perceivable raising on the edges of Celestia’s lips and a dangerous glint in her eyes. Oh yes, Sunset was doubly sure she had the right of it.

“It was a grand idea,” Celestia said to her younger counterpart. “I would be remiss if the issue wasn't redressed before I sit down with Lunaria to sign the peace treaty. I too am gratified to know you share similar feelings on the matter as well, however I felt the need to… how does the saying go? Put my own spin on it.”

Sunset felt a chill run down her spine. Is that why half of the inquisition and royal guards were waiting in the wings? She stole a glance at Cadence. The queen-turned-princess seemed to fret a bit, but appeared to remain oblivious to the true danger before Sunset’s eyes. What a waste that she became an alicorn. I wouldn’t have resisted Celestia’s demand for the crown either, but she could do with an heir who isn’t so… blind.

“Lady Shimmer,” Celestia opened with a neutral tone, jarring the mare out of her thoughts. “You’re being awfully reserved. A bit for your thoughts?”

Shoring up her professional airs, Sunset Shimmer pushed a lock of hair out of her eyes. “My apologies. I was just thinking of some contingencies for the backlash of your ‘not a goddess’ speech’.” It wasn’t completely a lie. Sunset had suspected the alicorns were not goddesses after working with Cadence for so long. It had just become a thing that you just didn’t talk about. Even so, Sunset was actually glad that Celestia was bringing that fact to light. Lies made her work that much harder, and she balanced enough lies as it was. “The church will not go down quietly.”

Celestia walked over to the curtained windows that led out into the playing field. “Yes, there is certainly going to be a lot of scandals and confusion in the coming months. I have already tasked the inquisition to handle such matters among the nobility and church. Your task will be to mitigate such issues within the palace and the royal court.”

“Understood.” Sunset inwardly breathed a sigh of relief. If the queen ran the country, Sunset dominated the palace and all who worked and visited there. If a coup were to happen, she’d know of it long before it could strike.

Celestia pulled the curtain aside and looked down into the field. Hundreds of ponies sat in pairs and in ordered rows. Each pair had a small table with basic refreshments for such an event, water and a loaf of bread, fine cheeses along with a couple of plates and a cutting knife. The groups of ponies were the same in one aspect. One was a merchant or procurer of slaves, the other was each member’s most favored red striped servant.

Gathering in the stands was anyone who could afford the time to attend, which was proving to be half the city if they could cram together enough. It had been almost a month now, and Celestia had been thus far utterly silent about her view on the practice. Perhaps some may have noticed the troubling signs from Sunset’s efforts with the castle servants, but if they had, the proud slavers on the field made no show of it. They had every reason to be proud, they were the ones enacting Celestia’s will. And that, sent renewed vindictive spite through the alicorn.

A knock on the door heralded Rarity coming in from the interior of the stadium. She bowed before Celestia and spoke with anxious anticipation. “Everything is in order, your highness.”

“Excellent.” Celestia made for the exit to the stands. “Cadenza,” she stopped to look at her fellow alicorn who had jumped up to join her. “I want you to fly with me.”

Cadence’s ears went stiff. “You do?” If she had been honest with herself, Cadence was under the impression she was going to be relegated to a purely ceremonial role before eventually leaving politics altogether one day. Even she could see this was a step in the opposite direction.

“I do. While I have a different opinion on how to govern than you do, your style has its merits. I would be most gratified if you remained at my side. That being said,” Celestia began with a wave of her hoof. “I mean this as an invitation, nothing more. No threat, no hidden agenda, just an invitation. If you wish to be more than just a pretty face wearing a circlet, then join me. If you desire a quieter life with your daughter, then remain in the stands. No matter what your answer is today, I will ask you only one more time tomorrow.”

Sunset swallowed the lump in her throat. This going to get messy real fast isn’t it?

Rather than ask the obvious question, Cadence’s light mood faded in a hurry. Her eyes widened as realization finally dawned on her at how the next few minutes could go. “I - I.” She stopped to regain control. “It’s far too late for me to stay out. If I leave, and ponies tire of your rule, I would become an instrument of revolution, and I have been an involuntary tool long enough. For good or ill, I’ll go with you.”

“Good lass. Now come.” Celestia departed for the crowds.

Cadence hurried after her, but stopped to give a quizzical look at Sunset who was following at a respectful distance. Sunset looked like she wanted to ask something, but ultimately shook it off and pressed on.


Celestia stepped out onto the box seats of the stadium with Cadence, Sunset, and Rarity in tow. Waiting for them was Archbishop Sublime Grace of the Matterhorn province. She was a freshish face among the clergy since the premature deaths of her two previous superiors due to illness. Even so, she carried herself with lofty airs and bowed to Celestia. It was common knowledge among the elites by now that Celestia deeply frowned upon prostration.

“Your holiness. Seeing you is always a pleasure.”

Merely nodding in reply, Celestia made her way to the railing. The sight of her causing cheering to erupt. Waving with a wing, she gestured for Cadence and Sublime to join her.

The archbishop had initially worried she had caused great offense to be so coldly received and was immediately fretting over it when she obeyed. Unknown to her, Rarity tactfully stepped up to Sublime’s flank but with a respectful distance so no one would think she meant to join any conversation.

Sunset was no soldier, but even she knew maneuvering when she saw it. Inquisitors always unnerved Sunset even during good days. However, these were uncertain times, and she lost her ability to predict what would draw their ire, and that terrified her. Perhaps not for her own personal safety, but for the chaos she’d have to clean up later. Why would an inquisitor remain in the box with us? By the sun if she kills the archbishop in front of everypony…!

Ignorant of her majordomo’s growing panic, Celestia looked to the Archbishop, noting Rarity’s presence. “Tell me, Sublime, has Cadenza ever made her position on enstripement clear to you?”

Already ill-at-ease after the cold shoulder, Sublime Grace sweater nervously in her robes. “Not in person. I… believe she spoke to my predecessor on the matter.” When she hesitated to elaborate, all it took from Celestia was a dangerous sidelong glance to make the archbishop to hastily press on. “I don’t want to speak ill of the crown princess, your holiness, but I believe she wanted him to discontinue exulting the pious nature of the practice.”

Humming approvingly, Celestia studied the ponies down on the field. Some were starting to get antsy as to why she had not started a speech yet. “Your honesty is appreciated and welcome. Now, I’ve been told that this request occurred last year, did it not?”

“I - I was not present during her grace’s visit,” Sublime reiterated carefully, “but I believe so.”

“So tell me then, if Cadenza was my messenger, why have I been told that the last sermon you gave called for the peace treaty to return not one prisoner back to Lunaria? Because as far as I am aware of, there’s only a single reason to hold onto them.”

While Cadence was glad to see her request being vindicated, the cold and calm hostility coming off of Celestia was terrible to behold.

Sublime’s wings fidgeted noisily and her mouth went so dry her tongue felt like sandpaper. “She - I was led to believe she was mistaken. That her interpretations were flawed.”

Celestia inhaled noisily to calm herself. “You were honest with me at the start. Are you going to stand there and tell me you believe that?”

“I believe she does,” Cadence said, surprising all three others. At the sudden attention, Cadence had to push herself to hold firm. “I am not proud of this, but I know full well how little my word carried unless it suited the ponies listening.” What she couldn’t bring herself to say however… If anypony was actually ruling the country, it was Sunset Shimmer, and she’s more interested in efficiency. However, Cadence held no ill will towards the fiery unicorn, and knew speaking up could draw Celestia’s ire upon her. “If the late Archbishop told her as much, I believe she’d take it to heart.”

Rarity quietly disapproved of the rescue attempt, but kept her expression in check.

“If that is your judgment, then I will abide it.” Celestia focused on the recovering archbishop. “Sublime, since you have been operating with the understanding that I approve of enstripement, I strongly suggest you listen and listen well.”

By now the crowds were getting restless, and a growing number were starting to question the purpose of the summit. However, such questions died down when Celestia took to the air with Cadence tagging behind.

“Citizens of Equestria,” Celestia started warmly with a motherly tone. “It gratifies me to no end that over the past millennium, not only has your loyalty to me has remained, but remained strong! That the six tenants of Harmony remain our watchwords, by and large,” she added with light humor.

Watchwords too many of you ignore. She paused only long enough for polite laughter to filter through. “I must confess something to you all. In my absence these long long years, I have been unable to watch over you.” Celestia saw bewilderment slowly starting to filter onto the audience’s faces. “It is true. As much as I would have loved to, I could not hear your prayers, I could not watch over your high moments nor your deepest woes. Whatever strength you drew from me, was not real. Because all you carried that strength within you.

“That being said…” Celestia did an admirable job keeping her vindictive ire in check, but the moment was growing close and she could just taste the justice swelling in the air. “In my absence, Equestria has indeed carried on my wishes in your attempts to reunite our species with our wayward brothers and sisters in Lunaria. And in that, I am gratified.” Her motherly, compassionate tone suddenly turned as dark as a moonless night. “However, there is one such method I… take issue with.” She looked down upon the slavers and the servants below. The slaves remained as stone faced as ever, but looks of terror were starting to dawn on the merchants and privateers. “To put this as plainly as possible, enstripement is a grotesque bastardization of my goals. Were it not for one, singular redeeming requirement of the practice I would have you all hanged where you stand.”

Celestia drew herself up to focus on the audience. Pleas for mercy and cries of utter surprise rang from below. With a single glance at Rarity, the inquisitor lit her horn blue. Other inquisitors revealed themselves amongst the stands, causing more than a few onlookers to jump out of fright. As one, the inquisitors cast a silencing spell, rendering their cries mute, but allowing them to hear her just fine.

“I have been informed that every master must treat their servants with the same respect they would treat any normal citizen of Equestria.” Celestia eyed the crowd, daring anyone to contradict her. When no one spoke up, she rounded back to her balcony. “Archbishop Sublime Grace. Speak truly now. Is it not true that every master is to do this? To treat servants with respect? To ensure they are properly fed, that they receive care in times of sickness? That they were allowed to retire once they were too old to work?”

Sublime was paralyzed with fear. Even with Celestia’s earlier conversation, she couldn’t have conceived that the practice itself was so utterly reviled by her goddess. Celestia might as well have told her fire was cold and she’d have believed that sooner.

“Do not keep her majesty waiting,” Rarity warned with a murderous glint in her eye.

Shaking so badly that she didn’t trust her wings, Sublime had never even conceived she’d ever been at the receiving end of an inquisitor’s tender mercies. Her worldview shattering in the process, propped herself up on the railing. “It is true y-yes. A servant is seen as redeeming themselves of-”

“A yes or no is all I require,” Celestia barked heatedly.

“Yes.” Sublime shied away from the baleful gaze of her queen.

“Thank you.” Celestia at last turned to Cadence who was faring much better than everyone else. “Anything to add?”

“There is actually,” Cadence said, earning a pleased hum from her elder. “I get the feeling you are not planning on a blanket punishment, but how can you make such a judgment if you only take the slavers at their word?”

Chuckling darkly, Celestia was pleased with the question. “My dear, Cadence, I won’t play the role of jury, that's how.” Once more turning her attention down below, many of the merchants were trying to flee, only for members of the Royal Guard to force them back at gunpoint. The few inquisitors who were there magically shackled the runners to their chairs.

Celestia nodded to Rarity and the silencing spell was lifted. “Servants of the Solar Crown, you recognize me as Celestia, do you not?”

Each of the red striped servants spoke almost in unison. “We do, oh holy of holies.”

One thing at a time, Celestia told herself. “Then on my authority I hereby release you of service!”

The inquisitors scattered all over the stadium weaved a joint spell that lifted the stripes of every servant in the stadium.

The red servants jolted on their hooves as their bodies were once again under their command. Many of the long-lasting servants were clumsy on their hooves, having gone so long without using their limbs.

Celestia allowed them half a minute to gather their wits. The audience was electric with gossip and scandal as to Celestia’s aims. The slavers below were instantly on edge, but it was already clear that the guard would make sure they couldn’t leave.

“Lunarians, heed me!” Celestia started doing slow laps above the field so she could tell if the freed slaves were following her and able to listen. “While I would indeed prefer you to reunite with Equestria, this perversion is not the way I had envisioned. As recompense for this vile crime leveled against you, I hereby release all of you back to your homes and families in Lunaria.”

Still reeling from being freed of their stripes, many of the Lunarians couldn’t believe their ears. “There is however, one last act of service I require before you are returned home. One with which you must perform with your own volition.” Celestia came to a stop next to her balcony. “If your former master failed in their duty to show you or any other servant with the proper respect demanded of them… well, there’s a reason why your cheese knives are more akin to daggers.”

The first Lunarian to truly comprehend what she had just said was an army sergeant still in disbelief as he stood next to his master. The stallion didn’t truly believe Celestia was actually giving him permission to kill the mare who had taken pleasure in singling out married soldiers and having her way with them before selling them off. Belief or not, he wasn’t going to pass up the chance. He bolted for the blade and leveled at the foul mare.

Still in equal shock, the slaver backed away. “No, I command you, stay back!”

With a pained warcry, he sank the blade deep into her chest. Months of nightmares in her bed and dreams of revenge crystallized in the moment. “Count yourself lucky all I have is a knife, you sick nag.” He twisted the blade and yanked it out before slashing her throat for good measure.

She was dead before she hit the ground. He dropped the knife, waiting for someone to arrest or kill him. Those around him were stunned. The servants were still shocked he was able to do it at all, and the slavers were starting to eye their merchandise with terror.

When nothing happened to the soldier after a few seconds, he looked back up to the alicorns in the sky. Celestia, the mare he was raised to fear and hate, had given him what he had wanted even more than freedom: revenge. She gave him an apologetic nod before turning to his brethren. “Is that the only one?”

It was as if a switch had been flipped. Dozens of former servants turned on their masters. Those that successfully resisted or claimed their knives first were waylaid by the magic of inquisitors or guards, stopping them from harming their vengeful slaves.

Watching it all from above, Celestia pulled on Cadence’s ear with a simple spell. The younger alicorn was pale and only stayed aloft out by instinct. “Young one,” Cadence jumped and her breath hitched. “While I would have vastly preferred to rule by your light touch, that is not what our people are willing to listen to.” Celestia returned her gaze to the bloody business on the field. “It will be a long, long time indeed before they’re ready.”

For a time, Cadence didn’t, couldn’t, reply. The carnage below wasn’t like the battlefields she had visited. The war she saw was indifferent, the soldiers didn’t know who they fought, only that they were the ‘other’. This was different. The rage and fear today surpassed even the bloodiest battles she witnessed.

However, that did not leave her paralyzed for long. She was watching for something. The focus in her eyes intrigued Celestia into watching her heir more closely.

Cadence spotted a few Lunarians who stayed their blades. Over the cacophony, whatever pleading those particular masters said was lost to her. One former aircorp pegasus of which reluctantly put the knife back down on the table. And then it happened. A soldier who had already killed their master saw the mercy his brethren dared to show, and started shouting with his countryman shouting back.

Cadence started flying over, but remained high above so she wouldn’t be noticed straight away. The soldier wasn’t having it and sprinted over to the slaver, knife at the ready. Incensed, Cadence dove down while using her magic to create a translucent wall between the soldier and the slaver just seconds before he could cut her down.

The soldier didn’t see it in time and crashed into it. It stalled him long enough for Cadence to push him back and land to interpose herself in between all three of them.

For her part, Celestia remained high above, and waved off the guards from intervening. If she is to hold the people’s respect she must do this alone. Nevertheless, by remaining close by, Celestia signaled her approval, no matter what happened.

Cadence magically pushed the soldier back even further, and flared her wings. “Enough! You have rendered judgment on your old master, it is not your right to take this life too.”

For the moment, Cadence did not rip the blade from the pegasus soldier’s grip, giving him a chance to do it himself.

The slaver unicorn behind her cried a string of grateful words, but Cadence paid little heed. The pegasus cast scornful glare at Cadence and his fellow soldier. “Do you know her like we do? Princess? She’s Fair Gem, the marauder that rapes our villages and towns for slaves!”

“You’re wrong,” claimed the air corps flier.

Closer now, Cadence could see he was old, with gray streaking across his originally tan fur and orange hair.

“Her name is Topaz, Gem’s daughter,” the elder claimed. “Yes, her mother was a monster, and I watched many suffer because of her, but Topaz has treated us better than I ever expected. Far more than tradition demanded of her.”

“Then that is enough for me,” Cadence cut in before the soldier could argue. “He has rendered his judgment. Return to your table and I will ignore this attempt.”

The soldier was red in the face, but the prospect of returning home outweighed his need for further vengeance. He dropped the knife, and glared at the old stallion. “You are a fool. No worse than that, a traitorous idiot. If we are actually returned home, pray I never see you.”

Giving a shallow bow to Cadence out of obligation rather than respect, the soldier sulked back to his chair and sat down while staring at his dead master.

With the threat over, Cadence turned her attention to the elder and slaver. She did her best to remain regal, but her heart was pounding in her ear. Topaz was still pale as chalk and was quick to bow with far more respect. “Thank you, Princess, thank you.”

“Do not give all your thanks to me.” Cadence focused on the old soldier. “What’s your name?”

“Night Sentry, your highness.” Surprising even himself, he bowed as well, never thinking he’d ever do so willingly.

“You reflect well upon Lunarian integrity. I hope… if you need help returning to your old life, should it still exist, tell Lady Twilight Sparkle I would be most gratified if she could lend you assistance.”

“You are too kind,” Night said with a grateful heart.

Casting an eye at last to Topaz, Cadence wondered if she needed to say anything at all. “…Remember why you were spared here today, and spread that message far and wide.”

“Yes, your holiness. If I may say…” Topaz averted her gaze as she stood back up. “I - I am glad it’s over, and I know far too many others who will feel the same way.”


It was the dead of night that found Eclipse back aboard his ship, scribbling away at his desk. Even if he was no longer Emperor, he still had much work to do to help Luna settle in as his replacement.

It was quiet now, save for his pen on paper. Perhaps he had gotten used to the common sounds aboard ship and could ignore them, or perhaps it could be that he was no longer the final word.

He moved to reink his pen when the flickering lantern light reflected off of a lump of quartz. He sighed at the thing and returned to his work.

A knock on the door eventually interrupted his work. Looking away from his papers, he spotted the first rays of the sun touching the sky and assumed it was an aide reminding him to sleep. “Yes, Glitter, I know.”

The cabin door creaked open to reveal Faithful Hymn. He was looking dour and slightly unkempt. The visit was going to be unpleasant, but had been expected. Even so, Eclipse put his best smile on and stood up to greet him. “Old friend! I had been hoping to see you before too long. Come, share a drink with me.”

Faithful closed the door, but was reluctant to join him at the chest of drinks Eclipse had stowed under his bed. “I’m afraid I will have to abstain today.”

“A pity that.” Eclipse exhaled in delight upon sighting his favorite bourbon, and poured himself a nightcap. “Doctor says a glass of bourbon, or fortified wine if you prefer, is good for sleep.”

“I am in a poor mood for games, sire.”

Grunting in passive agreement, Eclipse put his bottle away and tasted his drink. “I am no one’s sire now. I’m sure her excellency will grant me something, but for now.” Eclipse sat down heavily on a stool. The weight of his years and the war dragged his spirits down now that he no longer had to hold it all together, so he chased it away with a sip. “I am just a stallion.”

Faithful surged forward a few steps, embers of anger danced in his eyes. “How could you be such a fool?! Whoever that is, is not Luna!”

Sighing and taking another sip, he found it difficult to wash down the foul taste that was developing. “So she was unable to visit you? More's the pity.”

Not originally wanting to even bring that up, Eclipse’s remark stung Faithful all the more deeply. “No. She didn’t.”

“She feared as much. Luna told me those who slept too close to engines make the dreamer impossible to distinguish from the outside. You might have to take up camping in the woods if you want to offer an invitation,” he added with a playfully raised glass.

“I have suffered many of your ill-times jokes, sire, but this is unacceptable!”

Lowering his glass, Eclipse huffed. “Faithful, my friend, do you deny she is an alicorn who just so happens to match Luna’s description perfectly?”

“How could she claim to not be a goddess though?” Faithful challenged. “Do not sit there and tell me there have not been false pretenders before. You may have been too young, but I remember when the changeling queen tried much the same thing!”

He shouldn’t cling to this. Eclipse shook his head in disappointment. “I distinctly remember you being over the moon upon hearing the news about Luna’s return. You weren’t so concerned about an imposter at the time.”

“That’s different,” Faithful challenged. “The message from Captain Rainbow Dash included the coded success phrase.”

“Then you have to think, why would an imposter trying to take over proclaim she isn't a goddess? It only puts more eyes on Luna. To top it off, only a deaf pony could miss the news coming out of Equestria that Celestia has returned. If the inquisition hasn’t sniffed out an imposter, then I will believe my senses.”

“And what of the congregation?! If she is no goddess then we are meaningless!”

Sighing in thought, Eclipse downed his drink in one go. “You still have a place in Luna’s reign.”

“A place you say,” Faithful scoffed, too lost in his outrage to think properly. “Her contempt of the church is already sweeping the old capital. After the coronation, she declared the Church to be disruptive!”

“She is a warrior-queen from a different time. Some harsh words should not be taken so heavily.” Eclipse poured himself another drink. This was going to be a sleepless day.

“You’re mocking me,” Faithful spat while glaring at him.

“On the contrary, old friend.” Eclipse stared with tired eyes into his drink. “I meant every word.”

Faithful was left fuming, and he leaned against the wooden wall of the cabin sulking in his thoughts. “This will clearly be an age of doubt. Even coming from Luna’s own lips, many will cry foul.”

“Handling that will be your task,” Eclipse replied between a yawn and a sip. “I told you the church has a place under her rule.”

Faithful Hymn dithered. He paced the room, ideas swirling against a current of shaken faith. “What use am I to her? I lead a faith whose own goddess denounces.”

Smiling at last. Eclipse poured a second glass, and presented it to him. “By spreading her own faith instead.”

Stalling at first, Faithful felt intrigued enough to walk over to join the former emperor. He took the shot glass, but stopped short of drinking it. “And what pray tell, is that?”

“The Word of Terra,” Eclipse bounced back. “Do your archives speak of it at all? She says any surviving records might speak of it as the Soul of Terra. It is a belief she and her sister tried to share with our ancestors, but proved unpopular.”

“Why so? Forget it. I will hear of this gobbledygook of Terra from Luna herself.” Faithful returned to his waiting wine, and drank it to fortify himself. “For you old friend, I will do what I can to keep the flock calmed for now.”

Little did he know, Luna would not make him wait for long.

Author's Note:

Now that the Sisters are in power, how will peace be preserved? Will it be preserved? If I go to the grocery store and pick up some preserves, is there any chance i can get some canned peace? Or is it in the bread isle? I prefer strawberry honestly. My cats? Nah, they want fish preserves and I'm sitting here thinking, they must mean fish paste, but nooo, they want fish preserves in a jar just like the strawberry kind. Not a tuna can, they want fish in a preserves jar, name brand no less. I keep telling them the store doesn't carry it and they don't care, just meow meow meow all day long.

Honestly, I appreciate the consistency, but these cats just don't know when something cant be done. And don't get me started on their choice of scratching posts. I got them a few things to scratch, but they insist on raiding my sock drawer. Not for the socks, but to scratch the inside of the drawer so they kick all my socks out while i'm at work, and then claw the inside of the drawer. I mean seriously, who does that?! They don't even want the empty drawer I tried to leave for them, just the sock drawer, and I'm not giving it up because its the perfect height for me.




They're lucky they're cuter than this:

but not by much... stupid fluffy catnip addicts.

PreviousChapters Next