• Published 16th Jun 2020
  • 798 Views, 3 Comments

Universe Mishap of the Magical Kind - Zeprto678



Three people from our universe is sent to Equestria. Now they must find a way back home with the help of the Mane 6.

  • ...
3
 3
 798

Chapter 11: Cozy Glow the Orphan

Chapter 11: Cozy Glow the Orphan

It’s been a day since we got the news. It was going to take a while for all three of us to adapt to this. Well, it was going to take both Amber and Heartbreak a while, but as for me, I decided that either doing any one of the things that pony royalty do or making new friends might cheer me up. So, I’m heading for Ponyville Orphanage to visit the orphans with the boxes of cupcakes Pinkie Pie gave me to bring to them in her place.

I passed by two familiar mares. “Hi, Lyra, Bon-Bon,” I greeted.

Lyra and Bon-Bon both moved their heads up to look at me. It was going to take a while for ponies to adapt to me walking on my hind legs.

She wanted to freak out at seeing me walk on my hind hooves, but decided to act cool about it like it was nothing. “Hey, Lemon. How’s it going?” asked Lyra.

I nodded my head. “Good. I’m about to head for the Ponyville Orphanage to hang out with the orphans there,” I informed.

Bon-Bon smiled. She was surprised too, but chalked it up to something unexplainable. “That’s great. I think your appearance there might cheer them up,” she said.

I smiled back. “I sure hope so,” I said. “Well, got to run. Can’t be late.”

I walked past the two of them and continued on.

“Nice dress!” Lyra complimented.

Rarity promised that it’ll take a few days until the new clothes will be finished. So until then, I’m wearing the same dress that I wore yesterday for a few days.

I stopped to turn around and look at Lyra. “Thanks, and you should thank Rarity,” I replied back, grinning.

I turned back around and continued on.


Few Minutes Later

I arrived at the orphanage. It looked nice on the outside as it looked like a simple orphanage that was built out of wooden planks that were painted with a nice shade of light blue, and there was even a sign at the top that said ‘Ponyville Orphanage’. Waiting at the door was an adult unicorn mare. She had a peach-colored coat, a long, strawberry red-colored mane that was tied in a braid, seafoam green-colored eyes, glasses, and her Cutie Mark was a tree surrounded by a swirl of semi-transparent light that was tied into a large ribbon of sorts. The swirls of light were green with splotches of yellow everywhere.

The mare bowed. “Greetings, your highness, I mean, your majesty. My name is Poplar Embrace, the Caretaker of this Orphanage,” she greeted.

“You don’t need to bow to me, Ms. Embrace,” I informed. “Glad to be here. By the way, Pinkie Pie sent me with some cupcakes for everyone to have.”

Poplar smiled. “I’m surprised Pinkie Pie didn’t come along as well. The fillies and colts like having her here,” she said.

“She was busy, so she asked me to deliver the cupcakes for her,” I explained. I then remembered something. “Oh, yeah. Pinkie Pie wanted me to tell you that she ‘can’t wait for Windy Days’ Birthday Party tomorrow’.”

Poplar smiled. “Windy Days can’t wait for his birthday party either since it is being planned by Pinkie Pie herself,” she responded. Poplar turned around towards the door. “But enough about that. Let’s go inside. We’ve been talking for a while now, and some of the children don’t have the patience to wait.”

I followed after her as she walked inside. The place looked well decorated and homey. There was even the sound of fillies and colts laughing as they were playing around in the house. Poplar had me place the boxes of cupcakes down on a table.

“Prince Lemon’s here, everypony! He even brought Cupcakes from Sugarcube Bakery,” Poplar called out.

It was silent for a few seconds. Then, there was the sound of hoofsteps as fillies and colts ran over to where we were, excited.

“Hello, I am glad to visit you all on this fine day in Ponyville,” I greeted. “How are you all today?”

“Good!” responded everyone.

Some of them went for the cupcakes while the others stayed to ask me some questions.

“Hey, mister,” an earth colt called out. “What’s it like being a prince?”

“Good question. It’s fun, but it’s also a lot of hard work too,” I answered.

“Do you have your own castle?” asked a pegasus filly.

“The princesses told me one day I will,” I answered.

“Why are you dressed up like a mare?” asked an earth filly.

“I like to dress up like one,” I answered. “So, call me ‘Your Majesty’, okay?”

“Yes, your majesty,” said the earth filly.

“What’s your favorite food?” asked a pegasus colt. “Mine’s Cupcakes.”

I was worried. I couldn’t tell them my favorite food because it was meat-related. So, I decided to lie. “Jelly-filled donuts,” I said, lying. It was also partly the truth too because it’s one of my favorite sweets.

“Is your special talent really food?” asked a unicorn filly, curious. “If so, can you make us something right now?”

I looked around and saw that they all looked excited as soon as the unicorn filly asked.

I was feeling hesitant. “Well…” I said.

The reason was that Luna warned me that using my magic to create food that I’m not used to creating would drain me, depending on how much magic is needed to create that food into existence. So she told me to practice my special talent whenever her or Twilight’s around.

I knew I was going to regret this later. “Ugh, okay. I’ll do it,” I groaned.

They cheered.

“And before any of you start suggesting which foods, I will only do one, and the food won’t be big since it would use up a lot of my magic, okay?” I informed.

They all nodded their heads, understanding.

“So, any suggestions?” I asked.

They all started shouting out suggestions. I was trying to pick one, but it was hard as they were shouting out different foods. I looked around until I saw a familiar face in the crowd. This one wasn’t shouting out any suggestions at all.

I was shocked. “It can’t be…But it is,” I thought.

It was a certain villainous filly from Seasons 8 and 9, Cozy Glow. She looked the same, except she looked worried as she wanted to suggest something.

It’s Cozy Glow,” I thought. “I guess in this universe, she’s an orphan. I wonder what happened to her family? Did they die, or did they abandon her here?

My train of thought was then interrupted.

Poplar decided to help me with the noise level. “Everypony, lower your voices. Lemon here can’t hear any of your suggestions if you’re talking so loudly,” she said.

The fillies and colts stopped shouting.

Poplar nodded her head. “Good,” she said. Poplar then turned her head towards me. “Your majesty?”

I smiled. “Thank you, Ms. Embrace,” I said. “Let’s see…”

I looked around, searching for somepony to pick until my eyes landed on Cozy Glow.

I pointed a hoof at her. “The filly in the back with the blue curly hair,” I called out.

Cozy Glow looked surprised as I called her out. “M-me?” she asked.

I nodded my head, confirming. “Come on up to the front so I can hear you Ms…?”

“Uh, Cozy Glow, your majesty,” informed Cozy Glow.

She flapped her wings and flew above all of the fillies and colts that were ahead of her. Cozy Glow landed in front of the crowd.

“So what would you like to suggest?” I asked.

“Can you make ice cream?” she asked.

I thought about it and nodded. Making ice cream is luckily something I can do. “I can,” I confirmed. I looked at Poplar. “Ms. Embrace, can you get me a bowl and spoon from the kitchen please?”

She nodded. “Of course,” said Poplar. She headed for the kitchen.

I looked back at Cozy Glow. “Alright. So, what flavor of ice cream, how many scoops, and what toppings?”

She was surprised to hear that. “U-Um…” said Cozy Glow. She then started thinking about it.

Poplar returned with a bowl and spoon in it, being carried in an aura of strawberry red-colored magic.

“Thank you,” I said. I then took the bowl and spoon in my magic.

Cozy Glow had decided on what she wanted. “Strawberry and Chocolate, three scoops, whipped cream, cherries, and chocolate syrup,” she informed.

It was my luck that the things she was asking for weren't going to be too hard for me to make, but it will drain me of some of my magic.

“You got it, Cozy Glow,” I said.

I placed the bowl down in front of me onto the floor. I closed my eyes to focus, took a deep breath in, and then breathed out. I gathered my magic in my horn as I pictured Cozy Glow’s request. After a while, I opened my eyes and looked at the bowl. It was filled with three scoops of ice cream that was a mix between strawberry and chocolate, and they were topped with whipped cream, cherries, and chocolate sauce. Everypony looked surprised, including Cozy Glow as they had personally witnessed the stuff come out of thin air.

I felt a little drained as that took some of my magic to make. “Here you go, Cozy Glow,” I said.

She came out of her shock. “Thank you,” said Cozy Glow. She took a spoonful of ice cream with some of the toppings and ate it. Her eyes lit up in happiness.

“Well?” I asked.

“It’s so good,” said Cozy Glow, smiling.

I smiled. “Glad you like it,” I said.

Part of my day was spent answering questions.


Some Time Later

I was in Poplar’s Office, sitting in a chair across from Poplar herself, who was sitting at her desk with some papers in her magic. We told the children that we needed a break, so I told them to go play until we’re done.

Poplar looked concerned. “You sure you want to go through with this, your majesty?” she asked. “Won’t you be busy with your royal duties and your job to hang out with them?”

I shook my head. “I won’t be too busy to hang out with my daughter,” I said. “Besides, my royal duties only happen if Celestia and Luna need me in Canterlot, which is pretty rare. Why are you asking anyway?”

Poplar shook her head. “Nothing. I’m just surprised you want to adopt Cozy Glow because of her past,” she said.

I was confused. “What do you mean?” I asked.

Poplar sighed. “Cozy Glow’s been transferred from orphanage to orphanage across Equestria ever since her parents abandoned her in Manehattan. She originally lived in the Manehattan Orphanage, but because of her attitude problems, no couple wanted to adopt her, which is the reason for her transfer,” she explained. “In fact, it was the reason why she was transferred from every Orphanage until she arrived here in Ponyville.”

I felt very sad for Cozy Glow. “I see,” I said, silently.

Poplar looked at the window with a sad look on her face. “The reason she’s like this is that she misses her parents so much and believes that they’ll be coming back for her,” she continued. “But now? She has given up all hope that they’re even coming for her, or that anypony wants to adopt her after pushing everypony away. That’s the reason why you saw her acting all withdrawn and shy.”

Poplar was right. I thought back and realized that Cozy Glow just wanted to go back to her room rather than hang out with any of us.

She looked back at me with a serious look that contained hope in her eyes. “Do you still want to adopt her after knowing all this?” asked Poplar.

I smiled. “Everyone needs hope in their lives, even Cozy Glow,” I said. “You won’t be able to change my mind about adopting her.”

Her face went from having a serious look to having a soft smile. “You should’ve been known as the ‘Alicorn of Hope’ instead, your majesty,” informed Poplar. “You’re giving hope to not only me, but also Cozy Glow too.”

I chuckled. “Too bad I became the ‘Alicorn of Food’, huh?” I joked.

She laughed. “Yeah,” said Poplar. She then placed the papers down on the desk in front of me with a quill. “So how long do you think until you earn a castle or a place to live for you and Cozy Glow to move into? I mean, living at the Library with Twilight and Spike must be uncomfortable, right?”

I shrugged and started signing papers. “A little, but we all make it work,” I said. “As for the castle, a few months since the Castle of the Two Sisters needs some work, and yes, that is the castle in the Everfree Forest, but there will be paths built in the forest that will allow ponies to travel safely too.”

Poplar was shocked to hear that, but she then snapped out of it. “Why not stay in Canterlot Castle until then?” she asked.

“To stay near my friends,” I said. “If I stayed in Canterlot, I would need to take a train every day just to visit my friends. Friendship is important, right?”

Poplar nodded her head, agreeing with me. “It is, but a place with a ton of space is important too,” she said. “Your daughter will need a room of her own, right?”

I sighed. “Yeah, I guess,” I said. “I’ll send a letter to Celestia and ask her if me and Cozy Glow can stay over at the castle for a few months.”

I signed the last of the papers, which Poplar then took in her magic and checked them over. “Looks like everything is in order,” she informed. Poplar put down the papers and looked at me with a smile. “Congratulations, your majesty. You are now Cozy Glow’s parent.”

I smiled back. “Fantastic,” I said.

She got up from her chair. Propal was excited to tell Cozy Glow. “We should go tell her the good news. She’ll be so excited to hear that you’ve adopted her,” she said.

“Not yet,” I said. I then started grinning. “I want to give her another surprise today. One that only Pinkie Pie herself can give.”

Propal was confused, but then she realized what I meant. “Ohh,” she said. Propal then nodded her head while smiling. “That would be a great surprise for Cozy Glow too.”

“Yes, which is why I need your help,” I said.

I then explained the plan.


Few Minutes Later

I was at the Library as I was searching for some books to read for the children. I had to give them another excuse, which was ‘I’m heading back to the Library to bring some books to read to you all’. In order to support my excuse, I need to actually bring some books back with me. The children told me what books or genres they like, so, I’m searching through the shelves with the help of Spike and Twilight.

I told Twilight about what happened. “So that’s it,” I finished. “I’m a parent now and I need to live in Canterlot Castle in order to raise my daughter in a place with more room until the Castle of the Two Sisters is livable.”

Twilight removed a book from the shelf with her magic. “I understand, Lemon. Living far away from your friends is tough, but your daughter needs room to grow and the library does not have much since there would be four of us living here,” she informed.

I sighed. “I know, but you and the girls, and even my friends. I don’t want to live far from you all,” I said.

“I know what you mean, Lemon, but, as long as you stay in contact with them and make time to visit them, your bonds will always last,” said Twilight.

I was impressed. “Wow. Very profound, Twilight,” I said. “You should send that to Celestia.”

She smiled. “Sounds like a good idea. I’ll do that after we’re done,” said Twilight.

She placed the book on the pile of books that was located in the middle of the room.

“Well, that lesson does sound like something that you would need to do since you did choose to go to Ponyville and not tell your friends,” I said. “I mean, you missed one of your friend’s birthday party without telling her where you were going.”

Spike and Twilight stopped looking through the bookshelves as soon as they heard that. The reason I was bringing up that day was so Twilight could realize her mistake and take care of it early.

I levitated the book in my magic and placed it on the pile, making it a total of fourteen. “Well, I hope you did eventually tell them and at least stayed in contact with them soon after,” I said. “I mean, what I’m getting from what you just said, some friends will understand, but others will have a hard time forgiving, but knowing you, as soon as you realized what you did, you went straight back home and spoke to them.”

She looked very worried. I pretended not to notice and levitated the books into the air in my magic. They were pretty heavy altogether as each of them weighed differently from one another.

It was time to deal the finishing blow. “Twilight Sparkle,” I said. I crouched down to be at her level and look her in the eyes, then I placed a hoof on her right shoulder. “I am glad to be friends with such a nice, kind, and noble mare like you. You always put your friends first before you. Never change Twilight.”

Before she could say anything, I hugged her. After a few seconds, I stopped. “I should get going before the children become impatient since I promised to read them some books,” I said. “Bye, Twilight.”

I walked away and headed for the door, but then I stopped. I looked at Spike. “Spike, can you go to Sugarcube Corner and see Pinkie Pie? Once you do, can you ask her to prepare a party for Cozy Glow at the library?” I asked. “I would go myself, but I have to head back to the Orphanage.”

Knowing Pinkie Pie, she was preparing the party even though no one asked her about it yet.

He was worried about Twilight as she looked like she was about to freak out soon. “Uh...sure. I can do that,” confirmed Spike.

I smiled. “Thanks,” I said.

I continued on my way and left the library with the books following behind me in my magic. Knowing Twilight, she’ll start freaking out now, then head for Canterlot tomorrow to speak with her friends. I wanted to see Twilight freaking out since it was cute whenever she did that, but I didn’t have to watch. There were some fillies and colts that wanted to hear some stories.


Few Hours Later-Nighttime

The sun had just gone down and the moon was up. All the fillies and colts had gone off to their rooms to go to bed. All except one, Cozy Glow, who was asked to stay behind as me and Poplar wanted to talk to her.

“I’ve got good news for you, Cozy Glow,” informed Poplar.

Cozy Glow’s ears perked up. “What is it?” she asked.

“You were adopted today,” she announced.

Cozy Glow was shocked to hear that, but in her eyes, was hope. “What? Who adopted me?” she asked.

“They’re royalty, and they’re excited to be your parent,” clued Poplar.

Cozy Glow looked at me as she figured it out. She had a shocked look on her face. “You adopted me?” asked Cozy Glow.

“Yup,” I confirmed.

“B-but why?” she asked.

“Because you looked so sad and lonely,” I said. “Poplar told me what happened.”

Cozy Glow looked at Poplar, shocked.

She shrugged. “He had the right to know before he adopted you, Cozy Glow,” said Poplar with a nonchalant tone. “No matter what I said, he wouldn’t budge.”

“Of course I wouldn’t. I would rather see you with a life full of hope than a life full of sadness,” I said. “That’s why I want to be your parent, Cozy Glow.”

Tears started to form in her eyes. I levitated Cozy Glow up into the air in my magic. Then, I brought her into my hooves and hugged her. Cozy Glow’s only response was that she started crying. I looked at Poplar and winked at her, letting her know it was time. She nodded her head, understanding.

“I’ll go check on the children to see if they’re ready for bed,” informed Poplar. Looked at Cozy Glow. “Goodbye, sweetie. Just remember, you’re always welcome here whenever you want to visit us.”

She couldn’t respond since she was crying so much. Cozy Glow heard the sound of Poplar’s hoofsteps leaving.

“Let’s go to your new home, Cozy Glow,” I said.

I walked away while picking up the library books in my magic as I didn’t want to leave them behind by accident.


Few Minutes Later

While we were on our way from the Orphanage, I had to explain everything to Cozy Glow about our living situation and that we’ll be temporarily staying at Canterlot Castle once I received word from Princess Celestia. She was okay with it.

Anyway, we had just arrived at the Golden Oak Library, whose lights were all off.

“Welcome to your temporary home, Cozy Glow,” I said.

She was silent for a few seconds as she stood in front of the door. “I thought you were kidding when you said we were living in a library,” said Cozy Glow.

“Well, I wasn’t. Let me get the door for you,” I said as I did just that. “After you.”

“Thanks,” said Cozy Glow.

As soon as she walked into the library, the lights suddenly turned on.

“SURPRISE!” shouted everyone.

Cozy Glow was really surprised at the surprise. “Aah!” she shouted.

I crouched down and hugged Cozy Glow. “Calm down, Cozy Glow. It’s a surprise party,” I reassured. “Look around.” I let go of her.

She was able to calm down at my words and looked around. Cozy Glow saw the food, the drinks, the treats, the decorations, and the banner that said ‘Happy Adoption, Cozy Glow!’. She even saw that the ones who were attending the party were the Mane Six, Spike, some ponies, the CMC, Princess Celestia and Luna, and Patchwork. Even Poplar and the children from the Orphanage were there too, who all snuck out of the Orphanage while Cozy Glow was distracted.

She was still surprised. “Is this all for me?” asked Cozy Glow.

I smiled. “Well, of course it is,” I responded. “What do you think?”

She started to smile. Cozy Glow then turned towards me and hugged me. “I love it, daddy! Thank you so much!” she exclaimed, joyful.

I hugged her back. After a few seconds, we let each other go. We both then walked inside to join the party.

Author's Note:
  • If you had the opportunity to meet an MLP character who were destined to cause trouble in the future, what would you do? Would you change who they are just so they would be on the side of good and rescue them from themselves, or would you let them be who they are and let them have a bad end?
  • Poplar Embrace was created with the help of The Psychopath.
  • The Psychopath proofread this chapter. Thanks. :heart:
  • Comments are welcome. :heart: