• Published 9th Jun 2020
  • 753 Views, 43 Comments

What a Strange New World - Uz Naimat



I jumped through the portal to escape Celestiaʼs wrath. Now, I find myself in this strange, new world. But thatʼs okay, Iʼll figure it out, like I always do.

  • ...
3
 43
 753

Two - Where do I get a job?

Calm down, Sunset. Everything’s fine.

The security room is small, cramped, and dark. The guard dragged me here right after I was caught stealing from the grocery store. He told me to sit and wait. And then he left.

But I’m not scared. Far from that. Sunset Shimmer isn’t scared of anything. I’m just... Nervous. Yeah, nervous. I shift in the small, plastic chair. I’ve always hated waiting. The guard should be back by now. I’m still hungry, by the way. My stomach is constantly grumbling. I slump in the seat and lean against the wall. How did I come to this?

The door suddenly opens, and in comes the guard, followed by a second man. They both walk over to me and come to a stop once they’ve reached my chair. The second man has a tag on his uniform, that says, ‘Manager.’ Greeeeat. Just what I need. The store’s manager is here to chastise me and make sure I never see the light of day again.

But to my surprise, they don’t do that. The guard returns my backpack, which he had confiscated, and I immediately snatch it away from him. I open the bag, and quickly peek inside. All my stuff is still here, save for the stolen items. The gems are gone too.

The men let me off with a verbal warning, since I haven’t stolen anything of important value. They warn me that leniency will not be given next time. Oh, please. Next time, I’ll make sure I don’t get caught. I get up from the uncomfortable chair, sling my bag over my shoulder and allow the guard to show me the way out.

I pinch my eyes shut as soon as I step outside. The security room was far too dark, and I have to slowly open my eyes to adjust to the sun’s blinding light. I make my way to the shelter, slower than I would’ve liked. The hunger has made me weak. I also haven’t showered in over 48 hours and I’ve just been arrested. I really need to establish myself in this world.

The shelter seems like an eternity away, even though it was a shorter walk earlier this morning. I certainly hope this walk wasn’t for nothing. I am starving right now.


I’m too late.

By the time I arrive at the homeless shelter, lunch was already served and eaten. There was almost nothing left in the kitchen for me to eat. But they did manage to get me a piece of bread and some leftover soup. It’s enough to satisfy my hunger, though it won’t last long.

That wasn’t a lunch! But my stomach is not grumbling like crazy anymore, so I guess it’ll have to do.

What to do now?

I may need a job, since I don’t want the grocery store incident to repeat itself. I get up from the bench where I was seated and walk up to the receptionist(?) to ask her some questions. I tell her that I need to a stable source of finance, and she pulls out a piece of paper and scribbles a list. She hands it to me. It’s a (a very long) list of potential jobs around the city I can apply for. It’s titled, ‘Teenager jobs around the city.’

Wait, what? Teenager? That can’t be right. I’m older than that. Did the portal take a few years out of life?

I push the question aside; there’ll be time to ponder on that later. I take the list, stuff in my pocket and head for the door. I can hear the woman asking for a ‘thank you,’ but I don’t bother. I step out of the shelter, and the warm air hits my face. I take a deep breath.

Time for job-hunting.


The first place on the list is this coffee shop called ‘Beans & Cream.’ Fitting name. It’s right across the street where the shelter is. I step inside and my muzz- nose is immediately attacked by the aromas of dozens of different coffee flavors. It’s not bad, actually. But it does make me yearn for a warm cup.

I pass by the tables and the counter, where countless pastries are on display. Just looking at them is enough to bring me a sense of nostalgia. Princess Celestia and I would have a lot of cookies and cakes during our tea breaks. She would sip her tea and I would stuff my face with ca- Whoa!

Someone has bumped into me, and I fell on the floor. Who has dared bumped into Sunset Shimmer?! They will pay! A hand shows up in front of me, supposedly to help me stand up. I am not accepting this! This person dared humiliate me and now has the audacity to help me up? I look up, eyes narrowed, ready to give them a piece of my mind.

And I freeze. He’s a boy, and he’s quite handsome, truth be told. He has orange skin and spiked blue hair, and is dressed like a rocker. Maybe I should accept his hand after all. I rise and struggle to gain my footing. I don’t fall again, though, as he’s still firmly holding my hand. His skin is soft and warm, and I don’t want to let go. He apologizes for the incident (as he should be) and offers to pay for a drink. His voice is so smooth and appealing that I blush.

I also accept his offer. I’m not one to say ‘no’ to free food.

He pays for an oatmilk latte and I drown the entire cup in a single chug. He apologizes again and leaves the cafe. Hold on, why was I here again?

Oh, right. To get hired.

I approach the register and ask them if they have a vacancy. They do, and the cashier hands me a form and a pen, and tells me to fill it out. I move aside and grip the pen as hard as I can. My new handwriting is still as sloppy as earlier. I write down my name as best as I can and stare at the rest of the paper.

Address? I don’t have one. Age? I’m not actually sure what it is. Identification number? I’m technically an illegal immigrant here and may need to forge some documents to get what I need.

I sigh. This is gonna be harder than I thought. I leave the cafe, ignoring the stare of the customers who’ve seen my rather ungraceful fall. I’m going to need a job at a place that doesn’t require being documented.

I take out my list. Onto the next business.


I never realized just how beautiful Equestria’s sunset was until I saw this world’s. Dusk here is drab, plain and lacks the beauty I’m used to. I make my way to the my next destination, asking for directions at every turn. I soon reach it. ‘It’ turns out to be a retail store with the weirdest name ever.

‘Find Everything You Need Right Here!’

I shrug, open the door and get in. I don’t even make it ten steps inside when two tall and skinny men come up to my face to greet me. They are identical and are... Finishing each other’s... Sentences. Guess they must be twins.

I get straight to the point. I’m here to earn money. They immediately agree, saying that they could use an extra hand to help them around their shop. They then proceed to give me a tour.

The tour is slow and uninteresting. They give me directions and a brief history lesson on where each item comes from. The ‘tour’ ends, and I’m given an explanation on what the job entails.

Hold on, I need to do what? Talk to the customers and be diplomatic to them? Treat the customer as my friend?

Yeah, no. I’m outta here.


It’s already nightfall by the time I arrive at the next business. Darkness has long since settled in and hunger has again taken the best of me. This business sells gardening supplies and is called ‘Loving Nature.’ Not really my style, but I really need money to survive.

And it’s closed. Of course it is. Do humans really go home that early?

Home.

I still don’t have a roof over my head, and I could really use a shower. I make my way back to the shelter, passing the portal.

Has it really been 24 hours since I first got here? Feels like forever.


I start the next morning early. Day 2 and I really need to make some progress otherwise I’ll never take my rightful place as Equestria’s ruler.

A quick shower and breakfast later, and I’m out into the streets again. ‘Loving Nature’ is the today’s first destination. They must have a job opening. A suitable job opening. I step inside and walk up to the cashier at the front desk. The first thing he tells me to provide as soon as I ask for a job vacancy is my identification.

Oh Heavens above. Do you really need to be documented to survive around here?

He repeats his question. What do I say? What do I do?

I’m, uh,... I’m an... immigrant! That’s it! I’m an immigrant.

No, I don’t have my documents. I already told you that. Is it really that important? You know what? Fine! I don’t need your stupid job anyway!

That’s a lie. I actually do need the job.


I’ve crossed out more than half the businesses on my list. Today’s Day 3 and I still have no source of money.

Yesterday was an absolute hassle. I spent all day moving about from store to restaurant to shop, but several problems came my way. Documentation, age, appearance, identification, and my homelessness to name a few.

I related my trials to the administration of the homeless shelter, who directed me to this place called a ‘mall’. I don’t know what that is, but she said that are plenty of businesses looking to hire.

The mall is a considerable distance from the shelter. The road I’ve taken doesn’t even pass by the castle-building and the portal. I feel like I’ve been walking for ages. I should get a watch.

I finally arrive at a building. Wow, that’s a huge one! It’s even larger than the castle-building I found near the portal. The walls are tan-colored with green accents, an there’s a large glass dome above. I make my way up to the door and enter.

The inside is even bigger than the outside. I would like to say I’ve seen large, sophisticated buildings before - I mean, yours truly used to live in a castle - but this mall is on another level. A fountain lies in the middle of the space, surrounded on three sides by countless rows of shops and stores. I can see a spot to eat behind the fountain and a second story above. You have to take the stairs.

Wait. Are the stairs... moving?

Anyway. I’m here for a purpose. I make my way towards the first store I see, where clothes are on display. Hopefully, thisʼll be it.


I got it! I got hired! Yes!

It wasn’t that hard, actually. The man who owns the business looks middle-aged and rich. He took one look at me, asked a few basic questions and just like that, he gave me the job. I start today itself.

The owner gave me a name tag and showed me how to use the cash register. He then told me to wait for customers, then left me to my own devices. I am now standing at the register, ‘cause nobody’s here yet. I must’ve been too early.

I’m gonna admit it: I’ve never had a real job before. My entire life’s been catered for by others, whether it be my parents or Celestia.

Celestia. Just thinking of her name is enough to make me scream in rage. I grip the counter’s edge harder, almost turning my knuckles white. How dare she? How dare she?! This is all her fault! I desire nothing more than to find her and tell her exactly what I thin-!

The door opens, interrupting my tirade. A customer walks in. I take a deep breath, straighten out my clothes and lean on the counter. Cool, calm, casual. Perfect.

The customer heads over to the racks of clothes and accessories and a salesperson assists her. I keep on standing here, arms crossed and leaning on the counter.

About fifteen minutes later - it seemed like forever - the customer approaches the cash register to make her purchase. She drops her items on the counter and pulls out her wallet.

I take the device that scans ‘barcodes’. What did the boss call them again? Nevermind. Numbers appear on the other device on the counter. (Seriously. Why do humans need so many technological devices?)

She asks for a bag. I groan, but comply. Then she asks me to put her purchases in the bag. I groan again and stuff her items inside. I hand her bags over to her. She’s turns around to leave, but then she faces me again.

Okay, listen, lady. Last I checked, this job doesn’t require to wish people a “good day”. So don’t ask, alright?

She finally leaves, mumbling something something along the lines of “rude”. I don’t care.

I sigh again. Is the whole day going to be like this?


Six hours and eleven customers later, the shop closes. The rest of the day was slow, but not as easy as I originally thought. My boss came by to check on me quite often, and he got uncomfortably close to my body.

I leave the shop and the mall, which is mostly empty by now. My boss gave me lunch earlier, but I don’t know how long it’s going ot last.

The streets are mostly empty and I start my long trek back to the shelter. I dislike that place, but it’s either there or the streets.

I pass by several unfamiliar buildings. The setting gradually shift from a sophisticated town center to let-down buildings that could use some renovation.

Hold up. Where am I?

I look behind me. I didn’t pass by the portal. That’s my reference point! Oh no.

Oh no.

I’m lost.

Author's Note:

Itʼs finally here. The long-awaited update. Thank you all for sticking with me and being patient. I Pinkie Promise that the next update wonʼt take that long.

See ya around! :pinkiehappy: