• Published 7th Apr 2020
  • 383 Views, 5 Comments

Gilda goes back to basic - Miner



Gilda goes back to school to learn more about baking.

  • ...
3
 5
 383

Going back to school

"I don't know about this." Gilda looks wary at the yellow building before her.

Her friend Gabby smiles at her, "It will be fine Gilda. After all, this is the next best thing to learning how to bake since you didn't want to learn from Pinkie Pie." They both walk inside to be greeted by a blue Mare receptionist with white glasses.

"Welcome, how can I help you two?"

Gilda looks at the pictures around the room as Gabby moves to talk with the receptionist, "We are here for the cooking classes."

Gilda jumps at this, "Baking," Gidla interrupts her friend, before moving her away from the receptionist, "We are here for the baking classes."

The receptionist nods that this," Let me check," she adjusts her glasses and looks at her clipboard. "We don't have any baking classes at the moment, Miss."

"Drat!" She slams her claw onto the counter, starting the mare, "This is the fifth one."

Gabby tries to lighten the mood, "Maybe this is a sign to go learn from Pikie pie?"

Gilda huffs at this and turns to face her friend, "No. We will find somepony to teach us baking if its the last thing I do." They move to leave the building when the receptionist spoked up,

"Well, if that the case, then I can recommend somepony then."

Gilda is back at the receptionist's desk in a blink of an eye, blowing some of her papers off the counter, "We will take it!" Gabby walks next to her friend as the receptionist steads down her papers,

"That is good to hear. Although I must warn you-"

Gilda interrupts the mare, "What that he is a strict hard pony."

Startled the mare compose herself and tries to explain, "No, he is a very kind stallion. What I mean is-"

Gilda gets what is going on here. The mare didn't recommend this pony because he must be a newbie at this, and frowns, "What? That he is new at teaching and has no idea what he is dong?"

The mare only blinks in confusion at this, "No. He will a very well known teacher and is known for his baking skills, but-"

Okay, now Gilda understands why she didn't spoked about him this time, and smiles at the challenge, "That only the best of the best can be accepted into his class?"

The mare tilts her head at this, "No, it is not that," Gilda deflates at this, "He is willing to take on anypony for a student."

Gilda scathes her head at this, "Then what is the problem I do not see here?"

Feed up with the interruptions, the mare huffs and opens a draw next to her, "You know what, never mind. He will be back from his lunch break in ten minutes," She brings up a sheet of paper and gives it to them, "Fill this out, and you will pay the class fee after the class is over."

As Gilda fills out the forms for them, Gabby is a little concerned about the warning that the mare was trying to tell them, "Wait, what was it that you were trying to tell us?"

The mare was about to say something when Gilda interrupts again, "Who cares so long as this guy is will to teach us. I don't see the problem." Gilda gives back the forms.

The receptionist files them away and pulls out two hall passes and gives them to the griffons, "The room number is 212. Down the hall, to the right, you can't miss it."

"Come on, Gabby, we are going to be late." Gilda puts the necklace on and goes down the hallway,

Gabby stays behind with a second of not saying anything before she smiles apologetically at the mare, "Sorry about that. She has a bit of a temper on her." Gabby puts on the hall pass, as the mare frowns at her,

"I can see that."

"So, what was it that you were trying to tell us?"

"Gabby, come on!" Gilda calls from down the hall,

The receptionist only smiles at Gabby, "Don't worry about it. You girls will be just fine. Have a good day."

"Okay, then have a good day."

Gabby walks down the hall not noticing the receptionist chuckling to herself, "Oh you two will be just fine." she laughs to herself,


Gilda and Gabby are in the classroom. It had everything anypony needed to learn about baking. There were two shelves filled with cookbooks. There were five stove ovens across the back of the room. Three large doors to the right side of the room, one is leading to the refrigerator, another to the freezer, and the last one for storage. A wall lined with shelves of dried ingredients with a clock above it. Five different stations in the center of the room for a pony to add anything to their bake goods or to use the cutting board. The last wall, which was the front of the room, had a chalkboard because every classroom needed a chalkboard. It also had a display of a variety of baked goods from simple pastries to cakes. And finally, there was a small desk to the front corner of the room, which must be the teacher's desk with a clipboard on it.

Gilda is sitting calmly in one of the seats next to a station waiting for their teacher to arrive. She stares aimlessly across the room. Gabby, on the other claw, is looking and touching everything. And the most annoying part was that whenever Gabby found something "amazing," she had to tell her about it.

"Hay Gilda!"

"What?"

"They have fresh zap-apple jam in here!"

"Okay." Gilda looks at her left claws as she hears Gabby rummaging in the storage closet.

"Hay Gilda!"

"What?"

"They have an apple slicer in here."

"Neat." Gilda then looks at the knife stand at her station before Gabby spoked up again,

"Hay Gilda?"

"WHAT!"

"They have some nuts in here."

"You have no idea," Gilda grumbles to herself, "Gabble stop looking at everything and take you seat before the teacher comes in and sees you touching everything,"

Gabby smiles sheepishly at her friend and takes her seat, "Sorry, excited,"

"Whatever, now, where is this guy anyway?" Gilda looks at the clock on the wall, "He is late, and we are the only ones here,"

Just then, they hear the sound of a cabinet close coming from the freezer. They look at each other silent, asking if they both heard to that. Before long, a brown stallion comes out of the freezer with a tray of ice cream cake on his back. But believe it or not, that was not was getting the attention of the girls. For you see, this stallion was moving at a snail pace shuffling his hooves across the floor as he walks. His mane was white as snow. Gilda wasn't sure if it was because of the freezer, or that was its natural color. He mumbles to himself as if he sings some song that they have never heard of before. He sets the cake on the table before them and then moves to grab a knife. By Gilda's estimate, he must be older than Grampa Gruff.

Gilda and Gabby both stare in silence as they watch him slowly trying to cut the cake only for nothing to happen. He then lifts the knife before bring it down to the cake, when the strangest thing to happen. The knife, for some reason, bounces off the cake as if it was rubber and sends the stallion backward while still holding onto the blade. Gilda watches in disbelief as the stallion, and the knife continues to go back before the knife goes over the stallions head and gets stuck in the wall behind him. This spooks the stallion, and he lets go of the knife. He turns around to grab the knife with his hooves and tries to pull it out of the wall only to fail. He shrugs at this and leaves the knife in the wall. He moves back to the table was about to take a bite out of the cake when Gilda cough to get his attention.

"Excuse me?"

This started him before he slowly talks to them, "Yes?"

"Are you the teacher of the baking class?"

"Yes... And you two are?"

"We are your student for the day."

"Oh," He looks at the clock before he looks back at the girls, "You are late."

"What? Nevermind, can we get started?"

"First, I got to take attendance..." He slowly moves to his desk before he turns to them, "You two stay there." he continues to walk to his desk and grabs a clipboard and moves to the front of the class. He then lifts it to his face before lowering it to call out the first name on the list. "Trixie?" He looks around the room for Trixie, "Trixie Lunamoon?" He waits a bit before trying again, "Last call for Trixie." Not getting a reply he looks back at the girls and simply says, "Not here," He makes a mark on his clipboard and looks at the girls again not noticing Gilda's irritated face, "You two don't move," He then flips the page on the board before calling out, "Starlight?"

"THEY ARE NOT HERE!' Gilda shouts from her seat, "Nopony is here beside us at the moment."

"Younge ponies..." He starts walking back to his desk, "in such a hurry..." He puts the clipboard down on his desk before moving back to the front of the room behind the display, "have no time for smelling the..." He then looks back at them, "roses."

Gabby gives Gilda a scolding look to which she huffs while lower her head. She then moves in front of their teacher and tries again nicely, "Can you please just get along with the class already?"

He looks at her and the plate of sweets in front of her before he turns them to the side, "Don't talk into the twinkies."

Gilda's eyes widen as she just notices the pastries before her. She has no idea why he said that, but she ignores it and moves back to her seat.

"Now then what was it... that you girls wanted again?"

"We wanted you to teach us baking," Gilda said with irritation still in her voice,

"Right... well, what do you want to learn from it?"

"Well, I know the basic, but I was hoping that you would show us the more complicated baking methods."

"Oh..." He nods at this, "you want the... advance class."

"Yes."

"Well, that is tomorrow's class."

"What NO!" Gilda jumps out of her seat, "We came all this way, and you can't teach us Anything?!"

"Well I can... but it will be the basic course."

Gabby moves next to her friend, tries to calm her down, "Come on, Gilda. It wouldn't hurt to go back to basic. Who knows, you may learn something that you didn't know before, and if you don't, then you can always come back tomorrow for the advance course."

"Fine, you win Gabby," They both take their seats, "We will take the basic class."

"That's good to hear."

Author's Note:

Points to anyone that can guess where I based the teacher from.:yay: