• Published 7th Apr 2020
  • 4,025 Views, 199 Comments

Off Duty - awf



After centuries of ruling Equestria without a single day off, Princess Celestia is driven to true desperation: selling herself into slavery as a vacation on Earth, the one place she can go without being recognized.

  • ...
20
 199
 4,025

Chapter 19

It wasn't too bad, Celestia decided during her noon break. Especially if her new jailer, Denis, kept having business lunches with clients. She was chewing on a hay-and-cheese sandwich in Rawsthorne's office and sipping an 'iced tea' Wendy had made her. It was quite good, actually. Her owner was also gone - in fact - the whole floor was mostly empty. It gave her the peace and quiet she needed to really get into the books.

As she and Rawsthorne had discussed in the car, the alicorn would take the first week simply to read and absorb the material she would have to work with. He had gotten her some office supplies and the pony dutifully jotted down important-looking bits and questions. She didn't absolutely need to do that, but it helped.

To his credit and her surprise, Denis was entirely professional and courteous while they were working. Maybe it was just in his free time that he was a jerk? It suited the mare just fine if she never found out for sure. She could definitely work with this. It might even be enjoyable. She was feeling charitable toward Denis, because he had not once mentioned her bruised plot. Of course Rawsthorne had told his colleague why she was suddenly working for him, but Denis just ignored it. She was very grateful for that.

Her sandwich and her drink were gone, but she hardly noticed. Even when her owner came back Celestia barely glanced at him. He came around the desk and looked at what she was reading. Then his hand in her mane made her lose her place, but she didn't mind in the slightest.

"When does Denis usually come back?" She would have kept reading in his office, but the man wanted to lock it when he was away. Very mistrustful, Celestia thought. "I need the Customs Code next. You don't have it, I checked."

The human glanced at his wristwatch. "Should be soon," he said. "Why don't you take a break? You're doing a fine job, don't run yourself ragged."

Celestia considered this. After a moment she nodded and pushed the book away. Then she stretched out her wings luxuriously and drew a deep breath. She froze in shock when she felt Rawsthorne's hands right there! He had carefully grabbed the leading edge and was tracing a finger down a primary feather. It instantly drove all thoughts of Denis and her work from her mind. She also blushed a vivid red - a fact that the human didn't seem to notice just yet.

If he didn't let go soon, he would have a mess on his chair!

He couldn't have known, could he? The pony used her wings 'socially' quite often. She even hugged the human with them, or sometimes offered a feather in lieu of a hoofshake. But it was all casual, a passing gesture.

This, on the other hoof, was something else entirely. Holding her wing like that, touching the sensitive feathers right there. So gently, caressingly. Almost like he was preening them.

Without asking first!

For one thing, it was incredibly inappropriate. For another, strangely exhilarating.

"Uh, Greg?" Her voice was too breathy by half and a little high-pitched. It made the human look and release the wing. It snapped back to her side.

She was immensely relieved that he had let go.

She was very disappointed that he had let go.

"Whoa, what's wrong?" her owner asked, voice full of concern. "Something in your sandwich?" Apparently he mistook her expression for nausea.

She shook her head, closed her eyes and took a deep breath to relax. "I might have forgotten to mention, but wings on a pony are an intensely... 'private' matter. Do you understand?"

The human blinked and looked at his fingers. "What do you mean 'private'?" he asked carefully.

"Something... lovers do."

Now his face was starting to match hers in color. "Oh! OH! Sorry! I swear, Celestia, I didn't know! I was just curious!"

She had guessed as much, but it was still a relief to hear it. "It's okay. You didn't know. Now you do."

Then the lawyer in him raised a point she knew he would: "But you have touched me with your wings before. Hugged, even."

"Yes, but that is different. Imagine the difference between licking your face and kissing you. Both involve approximately the same gestures and... parts. But they have quite different connotations."

His blush grew worse. When she realized what she just said, so did hers.

"Yeah, I think I understand the difference. Please accept my apology. It won't happen again."

Now she was sad. She hadn't meant to sound so negative! "Well now, I know you're curious. I could... show you a bit more. W-When we are home. In private."

It didn't have the intended effect. The human looked away in embarrassment and quickly went to shuffle some papers around. "Well, yes. Maybe. We'll see."

She had an idea. Rawsthorne was clearly uncomfortable about the thoughts of her... in that way. Perhaps she could have some fun that evening. Tease him a little. It would be exciting and he would make the funniest faces, if the current one was any indication. A fitting revenge for making her sit outside the bathroom and listen to him taking a bath!

For now, she needed to concentrate on work. She really did not want to 'leak' as she walked. Also, even the humans would be bound to notice the smell. She carefully stood up and focused. She felt... damp, but nothing was oozing. That was good. Just in case, she kept the tail firmly clamped against her.

"I'll just... uh, I'll use the bathroom."

The human gave a nod and she left his office. The mare headed straight for the ladies' room, barely acknowledging Denis as she passed him in the hallway. Once safely inside, the alicorn heaved a sigh and then started to giggle. As if she was fifteen! She forced herself to stop and spoke to her reflection in the mirror.

"Stop this, Celestia! Act your age! Besides, he's a different species!" Just to be sure, she squeezed into a stall and wiped herself dry. As she left, the mare in the mirror seemed to be giving her a speculative and rather 'smirky' look.

"Not now! And certainly not here!"

The alicorn made herself look away and schooled her face to stillness. It was time to work! She made her way to Denis' office and took the chair at the smaller desk he had arranged for her. At least the human would take her mind from these inappropriate matters.

"Hello. Progress? Need any help?" he offered, straight to he point.

She remembered her questions. "Actually, yes. There are a few points, let me see..." Her notes and her book were still in the other office. "Oh, just a second."

She stepped out across the hallway and pushed her owner's door open. It looked like he was fiercely concentrating on his computer, but he looked up.

"Just need my notes."

He gave a nod and the pony floated them over. But just as she was about to leave, Rawsthorne cleared his throat. "We'll talk tonight."

It made her heart nearly skip a beat. She tried to guess what he meant, but his expression said nothing. Would the talk be a chiding for letting herself - and him - get this flustered at work? Or would he want to inspect her wings some more?

She had to bite her lip to stop herself going down that path of thought again. She hurried out without answering. Denis was looking at her strangely. She went back to her desk as nonchalantly as she could. When she glanced back at the human, he had a very insolent smirk. She very much did not like it.

"What?!"

He steepled his fingers and inspected her for a short while before answering: "You hitch your tail way up when you talk to Rawsthorne. Did you know that? I wonder what that means on a pony."

Her breath caught. She hadn't even been aware of it! Worse, Celestia realized: this jerk had had a wonderful view of her plot! Now he probably thought he had guessed what Rawsthorne and she were doing. It made him laugh and the sound sent cold shivers down her spine.

"Nothing to be ashamed about, dear. We all have our little... secrets."

The insolent, meaningful way he winked at her nearly made the mare hoof Denis right in the face.

"It is none of your business! Besides, nothing is happening if that's what you're implying!" Too late Celestia remembered that she shouldn't have engaged the man at all. His grin just widened.

Incredibly, he believed her. "Ah, but you're hoping something would?" She remained silent and let her muzzle scrunch up in disgust, but it just seemed to make the man laugh harder. At long last he stopped and sighed happily. "Well, if your uptight master says no, you come to me. I wouldn't mind giving that a try."

Her mouth fell open at the ludicrous proposition and the tone he said it in! Not to mention the sultry wink! She remembered what her owner had said. "One more word, Denis, and we'll slap you with sexual harassment. I'm warning you!"

It didn't have quite the effect she had hoped for, but the human shrugged and raised up his hands, palms toward her. "Okay, okay. Sorry. I'm just joking, you know?"

She very much doubted that, but she didn't want to argue anymore. There was still the job to do, and Denis was still a superb attorney, and - the mare remembered - when he was working, this human was a lot more professional.

"Okay. Just so long as you know. Now let's go through my questions..."