• Published 31st Mar 2020
  • 3,836 Views, 15 Comments

Dancing With The Shadows - Vocal Sweets



What happens when Princess Twilight Sparkle marries The Lord of Chaos? Happily Ever Afters are for everypony right? Or maybe not all fairytales are meant to have a happy ending.

  • ...
6
 15
 3,836

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2: Falling In Love Is Harder Than It Looks

“Good afternoon, Princess!” Discord greeted the Princess in a very cheerful tone. He startled Twilight awake from her slumber. In a scare Twilight screams, falling out of her bed. “Discord!” Twilight scolded. “How did you- wait… what time is it?” she asks her tone, laced with worry.

“It’s 2:30 in the afternoon, why?” Discord questioned Twilight, who was pacing back and forth in her bedroom.

“I have a class I have to teach today! I can’t believe I overslept!” Twilight said.

“Oh, I actually took care of that for you, Twilight. Starlight said that she came into your room and tried to wake you, but you didn’t arise. She even got your most trusted Royal Guard Tempest Shadow to come in and check on you.” Discord explains.

“Wait, you were Headmaster for the day?” Twilight questioned.

“Yeah, but I do not see how you get it all done. Honestly, it’s so tiring.” Discord complained, slumping down on the edge of Twilight’s bed.

She let out a small giggle. “Well, thank you for taking care of it.” Said Twilight.

The sound of pure silent sound fills the bedroom for a mere few seconds. “I just thought you could use the day off, honestly.” Discord admitted.

“Well thanks.” Twilight said, rubbing her hoof. Just tell Discord, how you truly feel about him. Twilight thought to herself. I mean she just admitted to herself last night that she had actual feelings for him even to the Princess Of The Night!

Twilight sighed. “Discord… there’s something I have to tell you.” Twilight said. Twilight got interrupted by Tempest Shadow.

“Your highness, there is an attack in Canterlot.” Tempest explains. An unsettling face set on the Princess’s face. “Um… Tempest.. I am kind of in the middle of something. Can’t you ask Celestia to handle this?” Twilight asked.

“Your Highness, you know yourself that Celestia throws you through the ringer practically when danger comes to Equestria.” Tempest said, in practically a deadpan tone. She had a point. Twilight was always the one Celestia depended on during a crisis.

Twilight sighed, rising from the bed. She turned and looked towards Discord. “Do you think we could talk about this later?” Twilight looked at Discord with gentle and understanding in her eyes. “Sure,” Discord said, his eyes downcasted. Twilight gave a small smile and left.

Tempest looked over at Discord, who was still sitting on Twilight’s bed. “Hey, are you okay?” She looked at Discord, concern edged onto her face. “ Sort of. I mean if you ask me Twilight is very confusing.”

“What do you mean?” Tempest asks. “I mean it's like one minute she does have feelings for me and then the next day she doesn't.” Tempest bit the inside of her cheek. I know exactly what you mean. She thinks to herself. “When it comes to repressing emotions for somepony you like it becomes conflicting and confusing, it can also mess with your head and play with your emotions.”

“I think I have taken note of that.” Discord mumbled. “But if you would like a real answer out of Twilight, maybe you could do something romantic for her.” Tempest suggested. “But I thought giving her the day off was considered romantic?” Discord complains. “If you ask me it was a nice gesture, just not romantic enough. You need to think bigger!” Explains Tempest.

An idea pops into Discord’s head. “Say, When did you become a romantic Tempest? I never knew it to be in your nature.”

Tempest gags a bit. “Don’t remind me! But I’m not!”

“So what changed your attitude towards it?” Discord questions.

“Let's just say a group of happy, pastel ponies have changed my attitude towards it.” Tempest sighs. “Well I better get back to patrolling and protecting. A guards work is never done.” Tempest turns towards the door.

Before she walked out, Discord stopped her. “Tempest?” Tempest turns to look at him and raises an eyebrow. “Hm?”

“Thank you.” Tempest nods and walks off. Maybe Twilight's friend's could help me.

Discord snaps his claw. Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy appear practically out of thin air.

Applejack kicks Rainbow Dash across the floor. “Ow! What was that for AJ?!” Rainbow Dash wails. “Whoops, sorry sugarcube! I thought you were an apple tree.” Rainbow snorts and rolls her eyes.

“Discord? What are you doing in Twilight’s room?” Pinkie asks. Discord decides to dodge that question. “You girls may be wondering why I called you over here, instead of Twilight.” Discord says.

“Well I hope it's important! I was in the middle of practicing for a Wonderbolts air show for next weekend.” Rainbow Dash complains.

“And I was about to teach Pound and Pumpkin Cake the difference between sugar and baking soda. I mean both ingredients are a white substance.” Pinkie Pie says.

“Is Twilight in trouble, darling?” Rarity asks.

“Actually no. I am.” Discord mumbles.

“What seems to be the problem, Discord?” Fluttershy asks, worried for her friend. Discord balls up his fist, terrified of his friend's reaction to this news.

“I need to know how does somepony plans a romantic evening?” Discord mutters the last part to himself.

“I'm sorry sugarcube, I didn't get that last bit. Plan what now?” Applejack says. “A romantic evening?” Discord repeated himself.

Everypony looks at Discord. “So you mean like a date?” Rarity assumed. Discord slowly nodded. Everypony just stares, except for Rainbow Dash who laughs. They turned in her direction.

“....Oh? You were serious.” Rainbow Dash said, her eyes slightly widened at the fact that The Lord Of Chaos had a crush on The Princess of Friendship.

“Who is this date for, Discord?” Fluttershy asks. Discord contemplates rather or not to tell them that this date is really for their friend, Twilight.

“Ooo, is it for Twilight?” Pinkie guessed, her eyes fluttering. Everypony looks at Pinkie this time with their mouths agape.

“Now why in the hay would it be for Twilight, Pinkie?” Applejack questions her bubbly pink friend.

“Just a hunch!” Pinkie grins.

“Actually Pinkie. You are right this is for Twilight.” Discord said.

“What?!” The girls were shocked.

“Wait a second!” Pinkie holds up her hoof, she quickly grabs a bottle of water from her mane, uncaps the lid and chugs the drink down, only to do a spit tank in the end.

“Since when does Discord have the hots for Twilight?” Rainbow Dash injects.

“Rainbow Dash!” Applejack scolds.

“What? It's true!” Rainbow Dash complains.

“Well… you see- Discord was about to finish, when Pinkie replies.

“You didn't actually have feelings for Twilight until Season two, because you two have very different personality traits. However, you really enjoy toying with her emotions even going as far as to mess with her mind. It really wasn't until Season 4. Until you were completely head over heels for her!” Pinkie said grinning.

“Also something about you two being immortal but, let’s not get into that theory! Pinkie Pie said, lightly giggling.

“Um, Pinkie where did you come up with that theory?” Fluttershy asks.

“Yeah, I don't think it happened like that, Pinkie.” Rainbow Dash says, slightly annoyed.

“Actually she is pretty much spot on.” Discord said.

“Yeah! It's called a fan theory, duh!” Pinkie said.

“So, do you girl’s think you could help set it up?” Discord asks.

“ I mean if you really want to impress Twilight, then we will have to pull out all the stops!” Rarity said.

“Do you know where you want to have it at Discord?” Fluttershy asks.

Discord ponders for a moment. “We could have it on the balcony!” Discord said.

“Oh! That does sound romantic!” Rarity squeals.

“But don't you think her balcony is a bit small for that?” Applejack states.

“Nothing, but a bit of chaotic magic can't fix!” Discord snaps his claw to extend Twilight's balcony. “Applejack, do you think you could go down to the flower shop and pick up some red roses?” Rarity questions.

“Fluttershy and Rainbow, could you two go find some white transparent silk curtains?” Rarity asked the two.

“I'll do Twilight's evening wear. Pinkie do you happen to still have those clear Heartwarming lights, from last year's Heartwarming?” Rarity asked looking at Pinkie Pie.

“Colorful? Yes. I'm not sure if I still have the clear ones, but I can ask Mrs. Cake though.” Pinkie said.

“Perfect! We will meet back here in two hours!” Rarity said.

****

Afternoon has dawned on Canterlot, the sky in various hues of lavender, pink, and orange.

“Thank you once again for saving us, Twilight.” Said Celestia.

“Yes! Those little creatures are adorable, but don't let them fool you. They are practically a pest!” Luna complains.

“Actually the creatures you encountered were parasprites.” Twilight informed them.

“It's been forever since we have seen those tiny creatures.” Celestia said.

“I'm just glad Twilight had a chance to stop them, before they had a chance to do some massive damage.” Luna giggles.

“You're welcome.” Twilight smiled.

“If you two will excuse me I have some papers I need to fill out.” Celestia said, trotting back to the throne room. Luna looked behind her to make sure the coast was clear before she began to speak.

“Excuse me, Princess but before you leave, do you think we could talk?” Luna asks. Twilight was a bit confused. “Sure, Princess.”

“I have actually witnessed your dream the other night.” Luna says, with a small smile.

“W-what dream?” Twilight asks, slightly flustered.

Luna gives a smug smile. “Oh I think you already know. But have you told him?” Twilight knew exactly what she was talking about now. Blushing slightly she mumbles. “Not yet.” Luna sighs. “Well here's some advice: You better tell them now, before somepony better comes along and sees that they are worth their time. Time is a very valuable thing, Twilight.”

Twilight nods. “I understand.” She says.

“Before, I got sent to the moon. I was once in love with somepony. However, it was a thousand years ago. His name was Shadow, he became my best friend. He had feelings for me, as if I was the only mare in the world! The night I got banished to the moon, he watched in agony and pain. He said that he never wanted to hurt me. Yet, he was hurting my sister in the process. I called him a shadow because that was all he really was. That night he vanished, never to be seen again.”

Twilight looks at the Princess of the Night, who had the look of remorse etched onto her face. “Sorry to sound, disrespectful princess, but why are you telling me this?” “I'm just saying: Don't build yourself a wall, only to block the ponies who truly care about you out of your life or you will miss out on all the great opportunities in your life to experience.” Luna said. “Your right.” Twilight said. “Thanks, Princess Luna for the advice.” Luna nods and walks off.

I think I'm going to fly back to the castle, just to do some thinking and to clear my head.

***

Discord looks around the balcony, it looks romantic enough for any mare to fall head over hooves in. It looks like this came straight out of a romance novel. Rose petals scatter across the floor, as white silk wraps around the veranda entwined with the clear twinkling lights that Pinkie borrowed from Mrs. Cake. Candles lit around the girls and himself, making the flames dance-not literally however. Soft music plays in the background, as a tray of pasta and French bread from a local restaurant that Discord totally didn't steal from was displayed on a mediocre sized table.

“Is there anything missing?” Discord asked, looking a bit nervous.

“Hmm… everything seems to be in order.” Pinkie said. “And it looks so romantic!” Rarity swoons. “I really can't thank you girls enough for pulling this off. I just hope she likes it.” Discord says, eyeing the decorations. “Twilight may be a simple mare, and not over the top like Rarity is-” Rainbow Dash says. “Hey!” Rarity whines. “But I'm sure she will love it, especially if she sees that you put this much effort into it.” Applejack finishes for Rainbow.

“Discord you definitely know how to clean up nicely.” Fluttershy says. “Well thank you,” Discord says, smiling. He was dressed in a crisp black tuxedo, he was wearing a pair of white satin gloves. His mane slicked back with gel. The clock reads 8:00 pm. “Ugh, where is she?” Discord asks.

The cool crisp nighttime breeze rakes through Twilight's mane. She sits on a spare cloud, contemplating her thoughts. Twilight even thought back to Luna’s advice. Why does he have to mess with my mind like this? I mean I think I have feelings for him, but then again-. Frustration over took her emotions and she lets out a scream. “Ugh! Why does he have to so be discordant?!” Twilight sighed. “Having feeling for somepony especially for him is so complicated! I mean one minute I'm head over hooves, the next I'm hating his guts.” “What is wrong with me!” Twilight groans in agony.

Twilight squeezes her eyes shut, making a pros and cons list inside her head. She slowly opens her eyes. “I think I know my answer.” She then takes to the sky once more this time heading back to the castle.

***

Drained and tired, Twilight collapses onto her bed. It was 8:45 pm and all she wanted to do was slam her face into her pillow, and sleep. Instead she smashes it into something soft and silky.

“Uh? What's this?” Twilight picks up the the dress.

Beside the dress held a folded letter, that had her name on a small parchment scribbled in fancy font: “Twilight”.

No mistake, it was Rarity’s horn writing.

Twilight opens the paper, as a sense that it was folded in half.
“Please wear this dress and meet me outside.

Xoxo,

Rarity 💋

Twilight removes the card. Looks like another one of Rarity’s designs, but what is this dress for?

The dress had an elegant shade of magenta and gold trimming around the straps as well as on the waistline of it. It was simply the most beautiful dress she has ever seen. Why would Rarity want me to meet her outside? With this dress on? She saw a faint glow coming from outside. “What the-”

Twilight puts on her dress and begins to descend down her hallways walking towards the light, seeing it gets brighter with each step she takes.

Twilight pushes the double doors to open her balcony. “Rarity? Are you out here?” She asked.

But instead of Rarity, it was Discord. “Discord? What are you doi-” Twilight looks around her surroundings. Her face in complete surprise and shock. “Oh! What's all of this for?” Twilight asks, blush rose to her cheeks. “Well, I thought we could have dinner under the stars tonight.” Said Discord, who politely pulls Twilight chair out for her.

“The last time I checked you didn't live here,” Twilight said, slightly giggling. “However, I didn't peg you as having a romantic bone in your body, Discord.” Twilight says. “Well I can be full of surprises.” Discord grins.

“Uh guys, why are we hiding in the bushes?” Fluttershy asks. “Because we are going to see how Discord and Twilight’s date goes!” Pinkie hissed, while watching them through her binoculars. “So, we're pretty much stalking them.” Applejack said, in a deadpanned tone.

“More or less.” Rainbow said, waving a hoof. “Shh! I can't hear them!” Rarity said, shutting up the rest of her friends.

“This dinner looks delicious, Discord! Did you make it?” Twilight wonders, looking down at her pasta. “Of course!” Discord said. Twilight looks at him with a raised eyebrow. “Well you try cooking food thirty times only to screw up every dish, even if it was simple!” Discord huffs which in return makes Twilight giggles. “It's fine, really.” Twilight assures, picking up a fork with her aura. “Even if you did steal this from a restaurant, my compliments goes to whoever the chief was who made this meal.”

“Hey Twilight?” Discord asks, rubbing the back of his neck. Twilight looks up with her eyes through the crystal champagne glass. She sets her drink down. “Yeah?” “Remember that day I told you that I have feelings for you?” Twilight nodded her head. “Well I was, being honest with myself, my feelings and with you. I really do care about you. Yes, I understand we do have our disagreements here and there and we don't get along with each other 90% of the time, but if you ask me that is what makes any friendship or even a relationship stronger than before.”

“Why does everypony have to be honest with me today? I mean first Luna, now him?” Twilight thought to herself. Luna's words of advice echoes in her mind.

“I just hope you can be honest with me, like I am being with you.” Discord finishes, looking down at his plate.

Twilight bit the inside of her jaw. “Discord, believe me I have thought long and hard about this-”

“Of course you did.” Discord teases. Twilight blushes slightly. “But Discord, trust me and please believe me when I say this. know we have known each other for 7 ½ years, maybe longer who knows. But if I am being honest with myself, my feelings and with you then I-”

Rainbow was next to look through the binoculars. “Ugh! This is taking forever! Why don't they just kiss already!” “Romance and confessed feelings take time, darling.” Rarity swoons. “Well if you ask me, it seems like it takes forever!” Rainbow grumbles. Rarity rolls her eyes.

Discord looks deep into the princess's eyes. He could feel a spark between the two, and he hopes that she could feel it was well. Be honest with him. Twilight thought. “Discord I-”

PreviousChapters Next