• Published 31st Mar 2020
  • 3,837 Views, 15 Comments

Dancing With The Shadows - Vocal Sweets



What happens when Princess Twilight Sparkle marries The Lord of Chaos? Happily Ever Afters are for everypony right? Or maybe not all fairytales are meant to have a happy ending.

  • ...
6
 15
 3,837

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15: What Lurks In The Shadows

Harmonia looks out the window of Pinkie Pie's window. “Where's mommy?” She said, she gazes out her aunt's window, patiently waiting for her mother's arrival.

It was already 2:00 pm. “Maybe she's just running late?” Confetti suggested.

“I hope that's the case.” Mutters Harmonia.

She looks down at the board game that the twins picked out. “It's your turn Harmonia.” Cotton Berry said, as he placed his piece on the board.

He gave Harmonia the spinner. She flicks the spinner, landing on a 7.

She moves her piece on the board, quietly, but she couldn't stop thinking about where her mother could be.

***

Twilight illuminates her horn, she was cast into complete darkness. “Hello? Where am I? Is anypony here? Show yourself!” She demands, her voice echoing into the darkness.

She waits for her pony-nappers response, but only receives wicked and cold laughter from them. Twilight turns around, startled by its mysterious eyes.

“At last we finally meet face to face ...Twilight Sparkle.” He hisses.

“Come into the light so I can see who you are!” Twilight demands. The mysterious figure steps out of the shadows and into the soft glow of Twilight's horn.

Twilight gasps at who she came face to face with.

It was none other than King Sombra.

Twilight's eyes widen in fear, her body tense. “I thought you were-” Twilight said, her tone quaked in fear of the stallion.

“What dead?” He lets out a sinister smirk. “No I am very much alive, my dear.” He held his hoof to Twilight's face.

Twilight swats his hoof away. “What do you want, Sombra? And that's Princess Twilight Sparkle to you!” She hisses at the handsome dark stallion in response.

“Oh right, well excuse me if I wasn't invited to your coordination nine years ago.” Sombra said, his voice leaking with sarcasm.

“But I must say you fit those wings fit you quite well. However you’re title-” He smirks at her.

Twilight looks at him, slightly confused by what he was going on about. “What are you talking about?” She wonders.

“I'm just saying, why be a princess when you can be a queen.” In his hoof, he manifests a silver crown with her element of Harmony embedded in the center of it.

“W-what?” Twilight was speechless.

“When you first arrived at the castle, you were just starting to learn about dark magic. Why you even used more than once. Looks like to me you even enjoyed it.” He smirks at her.

“Look, Sombra I'm not sure what game you are trying to play here but I'm not interested in your bidding!” Twilight snaps. “I swear to Celestia if you do not let me go!” She warns.

“Ah yes, Celestia. Isn't she the mare that took your husband away from you?” He asked, his tone nonchalant.

“That's not what I came here to talk about, Sombra. I'm going home! Besides, you're just a cliche bad guy in all the fantasy books I've ever seen or read.” Twilight snorts, her eyes narrowed.

“You're not even a real King! You are only a shadow.” Twilight sneers at him.

Sombra looks at Twilight, an unamused look on his face. “So I'm just a cliche bad guy in any fantasy book you ever read?” He asks, he tone slightly amusing.

Twilight narrows her eyes at him. “Then you don't mind if the fantasy story turns real!” Sombra's horn glowed, revealing black, shadow like tendrils erupting from the ground. The black shadow tendrils wrap Twilight's wings, neck and hooves together.

Twilight gasps for air, as she chokes. Tears forming in her eyes. “You know we're not so different you and I” He walks up to her, a smirk played on his lips. “But since you don't want to corporate then how does this sound for a perfect ending: the spunky young heroic princess gets killed by the big bad villain. End scene.” Sombra then cackles wickedly at Twilight, as he watches her struggle.

Twilight bares her teeth, her eyes giving the same effect Sombra's did. Sombra gasped at the sight before him. But he moved quickly out of the way, before the black shadow tendrils could attack him.

He smirked, as he watched the young Alicorn become slightly dizzy by the dark magic she just performed. “What did I tell you princess? Not. So. Different.” He hisses.

Twilight shook her head regaining her vision. “Sombra, Let me go!” Twilight screams. “Or I’ll-” she warns.

“You’ll do what?” He hisses, his eyes narrowed. “You do realize that you can't leave until your friendship mission is solved right?” He asks, circling around her.

“I know that! So let me go so I can go see who needs my help!” Twilight demands.

“Why of course, princess, but you're looking at your friendship problem.” He smirks.

Twilight eyes narrowed at him. “You and friendship don't even belong in the same sentence.” She spats.

“Well you can't leave until I get what I want!” Sombra sneers.

Twilight was scared to ask or even wondering what it was that he even wanted from her. “And that is?” Twilight asks, her tone full of curiosity and worry.

You.” He hisses in her ear. Twilight's eyes shrink to the size of dimes.

What has this map possibly got her into?

***

Starlight walked throughout the quiet hallways in Twilight’s castle. Emotions ran through her mind as she took each step: Anger, Sadness, Confusion and tiredness. Starlight needed to tell somepony about Celestia’s plan. She walked out into the castle balcony and saw Tempest, looking at the night sky, her mane blowing in the wind. Starlight smiled and walked towards Tempest.

“Back so soon?” Tempest asked, not turning around. Starlight giggled and stood beside her.

“Yeah. The wedding was a ... interesting event.” Starlight said hesitantly.

“How so?” Tempest said.

“Well, I got thrown out.” Starlight said, wincing. Tempest turned to Starlight, confused.

“What? How? Why?”

“Well, I found out Celestia’s plan”

“What plan?!”

“Well, you know that Harmonia is going to be crowned princess in a few years right?”

“Yeah? What about it?”

“Well, after Harmonia is crowned Princess, Discord and Twilight were going to take a break from ruling then Princess Celestia was going to scheme a plan to make Discord her special somepony!”

Tempest fell silent and placed a hoof on Starlight’s shoulder. Both of them blushed. Tempest shook her head.

“We can’t tell anyone about this Starlight. Not even Twilight.” Tempest said, in a calm tone. Starlight nodded in agreement. Tempest smiled and began to walk back inside the castle.

“Where are you going?” Starlight asked.

“Going to put Harmonia to bed. Goodnight Starlight.” Tempest replied.

“Yeah. Goodnight Tempest.” Starlight said quietly. She put her hoof to her cheek; it was burning hot. Starlight couldn’t have feelings for Tempest… could she? And what about Trixie? Her mind went crazy when she saw her. It can’t be possible to fall for two ponies…… right?

***

Harmonia lays down, snug in her bed. “Goodnight Harmonia.” Said Tempest.

“Wait! Don't leave yet!” Said Harmonia.

“What is it now? I already read you a story and gave you a glass of water.” Said Tempest.

“Umm…. Could you sing me a lullaby?” Harmonia asks, her tone bashful.

Tempest rubs the back of her neck with her hoof. “Wouldn't you prefer if your mom sings to you?” Asks Tempest, her tone slightly bashful.

“Mom's voice is nice and all, but I prefer somepony different from time to time. Plus she's still at The Crystal Empire with Uncle Shining and Aunt Cadence.” Harmonia said, her tone modest.

Tempest grimaced for a moment. “But I don't know any lullabies.” Said Tempest.

Harmonia giggles. “It's okay! You can always make something up.” She said.

Tempest thought for a moment. Harmonia gives Tempest her puppy dog eyes. “Please…” she whimpers, begging her mother's guard.

Tempest sighs, slightly annoyed but in all fairness who could say no to this adorable face. “Fine,” she mutters.

Harmonia beams excitingly. “But I'm going to need some help.” Tempest admits.

An idea came to Harmonia. “Aunt Starlight can help you!” Said Harmonia.

Harmonia snaps her paw and poofs her Aunt Starlight into her room.

“Huh? What’s going on? Why am I here?” Starlight asked, Starlight was wearing a yellow robe with light pink slippers.

“Aunt Starlight! Can you and Aunt Tempest sing me a lullaby?” Harmonia whined. Starlight and Tempest looked at each other in confusion. Starlight giggled and made a little music box in the air appear.

“What song is this exactly?” Tempest mumbles to Starlight.

Starlight winks. “Just watch and listen to Tempest.” she whispers back.

Starlight grinned as Harmonia closed her eyes and fell asleep. Starlight kissed her niece on the forehead and motioned Tempest to follow her. Tempest quietly closed the door and turned to Starlight who was still holding the music box with her magic.

“Where did you learn that song, Starlight?” Tempest asked the pastel lavender unicorn.

“Well, When I was little and when I was feeling scared or lonely, my parents would always sing it to me. It always helps calm me.” Starlight explains. “I haven’t sung it in ages, really.” Starlight replied, looking at the music box.

“Indeed, it is a beautiful song.” Mutters Tempest.

“Really? You really think so?” Starlight asked, looking at Tempest in wonder.

“Of course.” Said Tempest. Starlight blushed and cleared her throat.

“Have you heard from Twilight? She was supposed to come back today, but I haven't heard or even seen her at all.” Tempest asked, making the music box disappear out of sight.

“No I haven’t. She’s probably busy with her friendship mission or she’s probably coming home now! I can’t wait to tell her that we have successfully taken care of her daughter without doing anything wrong!” Starlight said, proudly.

“You do realize that Pinkie Pie had her for like two days right? I mean I had to go and pick her up from Sugar Cube Corner.” Tempest explains.

“Right! Anyways, I think I should get some sleep! Goodnight Tempest!” Starlight said, turning towards the hallway.

“Goodnight! Starlight!” Said Tempest, who walks in the other direction.

***

“Come on Harmonia, sweetie! Let mommy and Daddy help you with this next spell.” Twilight said.

In her vision, she saw Discord and Harmonia having fun, she smiled with tears in her eyes as she tried to reach out to them, but she could only speak to them.

“No! I don't want to be the next in line to take your throne Mommy! I want to be like Daddy and spread chaos everywhere!” Harmonia gave her mother a wicked grin.

“What! You do realize that you are the next heir to the throne, right?” Twilight questions her daughter.

“Yes, but I don't have to follow in your hoofsteps.” Harmonia sasses.

“You’re the heir to mine and your father’s throne you have too.” Twilight said.

“Do you know what will happen if you are out of control with your powers? You will get turned to stone! Just ask your father if you don’t believe me.” Twilight said, her tone sound stern.

Twilight then closes her eyes, deeply breathing to give Harmonia another lecture, however when she opened them again her whole demeanor changed.

She was now standing alone in the Canterlot Gardens, staring at not only Discord but at her own daughter’s stone statue as well.

Twilight’s breath caught in her throat, she sat there unmoving and utterly broken as tears streamed down her face. She was struggling, even choking on her own words to get out but couldn’t. “W-what?” she squeaks, her voice small and inaudible almost but still loud enough to hear.

She broke down crying, looking at both of their stone face statues. She then took her husband and daughter's expressions.

Twilight noticed that their eyes resembled a villian, one that she defeated long ago. Their eyes were both green, with red irises and a thin trail of a purple mist coming from the corners.

Sombra.

***

She felt groggy, as she tried opening her eyes, but her vision was blurry. She looked around slowly, realizing that she was in a cage of some sorts. When she opened her eyes, she was hallucinating a bit from the dark magic.

Everything felt so real.

Twilight snapped back into reality, looking at Sombra, with a shocked look on her face.

“So you're awake my queen…” Sombra said as he chuckled a little, he circled around the cage where Twilight was held, the cage was electrified with dark magic, dark electricity surging around the bars.

“Try shooting a beam at me...let's see how that works out…” He demands.


Twilight tries to shoot a beam at Sombra, but sadly backfired. The cage charged an electric shock towards Twilight, the ground pulsing the same current of electricity.

“You have no idea how much volts that will fry that smart brain of yours...but I would love to preserve that for my lovely queen…” He laughed as he appeared out of the shadows.

Twilight looks at him, her eyes narrowed. “Why are you doing this?” She asks.

Sombra looks at her, a sly look on his face. “I simply wanted to lure you...to make you my bride, so your childish friendship problem was the only way to lure you out of the light...and into the shadows...but now that I have you…” He chuckled.

“We can start making things comfortable for you…” He said as he opened the cage, but the tentacles wrapped Twilight on the neck and wings.


“You have no idea how much time it took me to..."Get back" here…” He laughed.

Twilight stayed silent, as Sombra continued.”Leave that gritty past behind you! And look to your wonderful future...your potential towards dark magic is spectacular! You can be my lovely queen, Princess of Friendship…” He said as he neared her.

“Why would I want anything to do with you?” Twilight spats.

“I want you to use Dark magic...I want to see how much you can handle!” He explains.

Twilight looks at him with distaste, remaining silent. “Don't be so delusional dear…” He coos.

The tentacle lifted her chin up roughly, it forced her to look at Sombra. “After that battle in the Crystal Empire...I saw how much power you can wield, how much I can teach you!” He said as he neared his face on hers.

“Don't you want to learn more...don't you want to feel what I feel! The knowledge, the beautiful taste of power and all of its Glory?” He said as he grinned at her.

Twilight remained silent. “Think of all the terrible things your ex-husband did to you…” He laughed and his eyes turned into it's hypnotic state, as he placed hallucinations on Twilight, changing her memories, little by little, destroying her sanity.

Twilight eyes filled with tears at the visions that she was seeing.

“I feel great hatred in you…” He exhaled as he felt the anger in her, surging like no other. He then looked at Twilight, her eyes changing.

“Feel the change dear, you have much more to feel…” He laughed as memories of Harmonia turning into a chaotic wreck appeared.

“Can you feel...what I feel..?” He asks, grinning at her, his eyes emitting purple aura.

Twilight eyes glowed white resisting the urge.

She looks at Sombra, her eyes narrowed with hatred. "You are nothing but a shadow!" She sneers.

“A shadow who can crawl back into the dark corners of your mind...that's what I am…” He laughed as he stared at Twilight, trying to amp up the hatred in her.


“Don't resist...take it all in!” He said as he smiled at Twilight, his sharp teeth appeared.

“Open your eyes, and forget all the painful things that happened to you before...let me make you happy…” He laughed as his eyes glowed purple, becoming an aura of power.

Twilight heard the sound of a hard thud from Sombra.She looks at him. Her eyes narrowed.


"I will never be like you. I am not your equal!" She sneers at the dark stallion.

Sombra gets up slowly, his face half a shadow and half stallion, he looks at Twilight with half of his face trying to go back to its original state.

“Yet you resist, when I try to show you how much power I could've given you...and you throw it like trash...no matter, it will take time until you snap!” He said as the tentacles threw her back in her cage, the cage started it's electrical current once more.

Twilight eyes narrowed at him. “Ha! Like that will ever happen.” Twilight voice leaked with sarcasm.

“It will happen...just wait until I get your daughter…” He smirks.

“And you're gonna regret that you said that, Princess…” He laughed as he circled her once more.

“And to think that, you and your daughter...have a special connection...let me sever that for you…” He looked at her straight in the eye.

Twilight gasped. “Don't you dare lay a hoof on my daughter!” She sneers at Sombra.

"I won't if you just sign this contract." Sombra chides, poofing a contact into exists.

Twilight looks at the contract and the quill that was in front of her. “What’s the catch?” Twilight asked.

“There’s no catch.” Sombra said.

Twilight gave him a deadly look, not believing the tyrant.

“.... okay there is one, however that’s my little secret. So you can call it a blind agreement.” Sombra muses.

Twilight stared at the contract. “I… I don’t know.” Twilight mutters staring at it.

“If you back down from this contract then I can and will harm your daughter as I wish and there is nothing you can do to stop me. Poor Harmonia, her mind and heart so pure and yet I can play with it as I please...I will show you how much hatred I can shove in her…” He neared Twilight, his face still regenerating from the blast that he took.

“Then, and only then, you will beg for mercy...and you will be my queen…” He smirked at Twilight.

“I can also make her lose control just so you can watch your precious daughter get turned to stone.” Sombra eyes glowered with hatred.

Twilight looks at the king, her eyes filled with tears.

“Fine! Fine! I’ll sign the contract!” Twilight cries, tears streaming down her face as she closed her eyes shut as she signs away her life to the devil.

Make a deal with a devil, who knew how easy it was to get her to sign a corrupted contract.

“Now, rest that weak body of yours Princess...soon I will weaken it more with each moment that I torture you...and I will also have little friends to tag along on this ride…” He laughed at her.

Twilight breathing going raggedy. “Friends? ....What friends?” She asks, her tone cautious.

“The ones you exiled...along with me. Now we will have our revenge against you and your little ponies…” He said as he grabbed his Psyche, hitting the blade onto the bars.

“Soon, you will see familiar faces…” He laughed as his face was done regenerating.

Twilight's breath was still ragged, but her voice filled with determination and confidence. “My friends and I will stop you.” She said.

“I'd like to see you try…” Sombra chuckles a little, as he slammed the blade onto the bars, making her scared.

He slammed the blade onto the Rocky ground, the blade stuck into it. “I'd really like to see you try…” he swears at her.

Twilight looks at him with her emotion filled with nothing but hate for King Sombra.

“It happened to me once, and it will not happen again…” He mutters, as he faded back into the shadows, the chamber suddenly turned silent.

PreviousChapters Next