• Published 25th Feb 2020
  • 526 Views, 2 Comments

Stars in the Shadow of Night - Melody Song



Alternate Universe where Griffons, Changelings, Dragons, and Ponies are at war.

  • ...
2
 2
 526

The First Battle

Shadowstar led them down the mountain, looking back at the group.

"Which way do you think we should head first?"

"We should head towards the sounds of fighting." Pharynx replied. "Which in this case would be in that area." he gestured to where the sounds were the loudest.

"That's White Tail Woods." Sandbar informed them. "It's near a place called Winsome Falls."

"Alright, we'll get there as fast as we can, then spread out on my command." Shadowstar directed. "Sandbar, when Gallus puts you down, scout around the Falls and try to determine if the fighting has spread that far. If it has, report back, then return and do your best to help any that end up in the water. If not, try to block off the path there, to avoid anyone falling in."

"Yes Shadowstar!"

"Alright, the rest of us, get ready to land." Shadowstar said, grateful his mother had been giving him flying lessons. Landing was harder than it looked.

The group landed easily, only a small stumble from Shadowstar. Sandbar jumped off Gallus' back, running to the waterfalls in the distance. Tempest unhitched herself from the harness, standing at attention. Shadowstar turned to face the others as Sandbar ran back.

"The fighting's almost at the falls, it seems to have spread into the woods a bit."

"Alright. Tempest, lead a team into the woods, remember, disarm only."

Tempest nodded and looked around. "Ocellus, Pharynx, Gilda, Gabby, with me."

Shadowstar nodded in approval slightly. Tempest had chosen those that were the most stealthy, and who would easily blend into the dark woods. She had also ensured to take a medic with her as well, leaving Thorax to help them. By choosing wisely, she had also left Shadowstar with plenty of fighters. Tempest then ran silently into the woods, her team behind her.

"All those left, you're with me, Sandbar, lead the way." Shadowstar ordered

Sandbar took them back the way he'd came, reaching the waterfalls quickly. They spread out, observing the battle. There was a number of ponies, who seemed to be purposely driving their attackers toward the water. This made sense, considering the others were dragons and griffons, species not known for swimming abilities.

"We can't let those dragons end up in the falls, we swim in lava, not water." Ember said.

"And the griffons don't matter?" Gallus objected

"I thought you abandoned your kingdom." Smolder pointed out. Gallus raised a claw and opened his beak to object, then closed it again.

"Touche... but that doesn't mean I want innocent griffons to drown." he said

"Fair enough." Smolder replied.

Shadowstar looked around, seeing Tempest's form moving through the trees, the others beside her. They seemed to be doing their job. It was time for his team to do theirs.

"No time for this guys, spread out." Shadowstar commanded.

Sandbar ran to the water and carefully slipped down the bank and into the waves. He waded through, taking up a silent vigil, waiting in case someone fell in.

Smolder and Ember prepared their weapons, Ember putting her helmet on to conceal her face. Gallus pulled daggers from secret compartments on his outfit. Shadowstar ignited his horn, preparing. Thorax ducked down behind some of the rocks near the water, preparing his bags. Shadowstar then took a deep, steadying breath, and plunged into the fight, leading the others.

Gallus ran to the other griffons and slashed a pony backwards with a flick of his dagger. He flared his wings and cawed loudly to startle them. Ember and Smolder helped their fellow dragons rush forwards against the larger crowd of ponies. The dragons and griffons seemed confused at the sudden newcomers, and even more so when an alicorn colt popped up in between them and the ponies, casting a spell between them.

"You got that under control Star?" Smolder called, and Shadowstar nodded, though his legs buckled.

"J-Just keep going!"

Ember then realized with the ponies out of the way, the griffons and dragons had begun to attack each other with full force. She growled and sent a stream of fire down the middle, burning the grass until it reached the water and dissolved into steam.

"This isn't how a nation wins a war!" Ember shouted

"Why should we listen to yo-?" a dragon began.

"YOU WANT TO WIN THIS WAR OR NOT?!" Ember shouted, her red eyes peeking out from her helmet's vizor and sending a ferocious glare at them. They all fell silent. "That's what I thought. Now, what should be obvious is that when there's two small armies and a big one, you work together!"

"With the griffons?! What kind of dragon are you?!" a dragon cried

"One who's not stupid enough to do things this way!" Ember replied harshly.

"E!" Gallus swooped over. "Speed it up! Star's not gonna last much longer."

"On it Gal." Ember agreed, then turned back to the dragons. "I get that our leader is at war with the griffon ambassador. But in a skirmish like this there's only one way it's going to end unless you unite."

"Guys!" Shadowstar called, collapsing to his knees. Then, the shield fell.

"You need to work together! Now!" Ember insisted.

"Watch out!"

Smolder barreled into Ember as a magic beam shot past her. They both hit the ground and scrambled away. Gabby raced out from her hiding place and scooped up Shadowstar, pulling him to safety. Gallus swooped overhead, landing in a tree above the water.

The dragons and griffons both charged at the ponies, as Tempest's group emerged, preparing to separate the battling creatures if needed. But the outcome surprised them.

The dragons and griffons weren't fighting each other. They were attacking the ponies. Together.

"Well what do you know, that stuff worked." Pharynx remarked, glancing down at where Ocellus was trying to wake Shadowstar. "Didn't expect that honestly."

"Me neither. Guess 'friendship' does have it's uses." Tempest agreed, then stopped and ignited her horn.

A pony who was about to drop a griffon into the water was suddenly zapped. They shrieked and raced off, leaving the griffon to fall. No sooner did he hit the water then Sandbar paddled over, hefting the griffon back onto shore.

"Heh, shall we join them?" Tempest asked

"Was waiting for that." Pharynx smirked, drawing his crossbow. "What do you say we make sure this battle ends in a stalemate?"

"First one to separate them wins?"

"You're on."

Pharynx and Tempest then charged into the battle. Gilda raced after them, pulling out her sword. Shadowstar had been woken up and shook Ocellus off, rushing after the three.

Soon, the battle had ended. The ponies had fled after Tempest, Pharynx, and Gilda had caused a stalemate. The dragons and griffons looked at each other. Then, the leader of the griffons stepped forwards.

"You...weren't so bad out there. Considering we were fighting ponies." the griffon spoke.

The dragons looked at each other as the Resistance regrouped nearby. Then, one of the dragons stepped forwards.

"You either, griffons...although..." the dragon turned, looking at the group. "Who are you? How did you know that would work."

"Just call us... the Resistance." Shadowstar replied.

The colt spread his wings as the others got ready to take off. With a single nod to the two armies, they took off, leaving the waterfalls turned battlefield in the distance.