• Published 25th Feb 2020
  • 526 Views, 2 Comments

Stars in the Shadow of Night - Melody Song



Alternate Universe where Griffons, Changelings, Dragons, and Ponies are at war.

  • ...
2
 2
 526

Off Into The World We Go

A week later, all of the Resistance's members were healthy and strong again. They were ready to leave. Shadowstar gathered them in the entryway of the castle. The room was silent as Shadowstar stood before them, pacing. He was wearing the battle armor he'd chosen for the fight at Mount Aris, and now surveyed the mismatched group.

First were the members who were less experienced in combat. Thorax, the oldest of this group, was in front. He had armor on, though the classic symbol of a cadecus was on it. A field medic. Ocellus wore similar armor, with a medic's saddlebag on her back.

Gabby bounced beside her, wielding a staff for self-defense and a black cloak. Her job would be to slip through the shadows with her lithe frame and assist the medics from the shadows, helping the injured to safety without drawing fire.

Sandbar wore his original armor, but with a few changes. New, ocean blue saddlebags rested on his back. It bore a symbol of a red life ring, and within it was a diving mask, oxygen tank, and a real life ring. Underneath Sandbar's armor was a diving suit. He would be a lifeguard-like soldier, fighting, of course, but also in charge of saving those who went under water.

Then were the warriors. Smolder and Ember stood, tall and proud. They wore their armor and had their heads held high. Smolder had taken a spear from the armory and held it at her side, while Ember had a sword around her waist. These two would be a part of a defense line. They would shield injured creatures so Gabby or Thorax could reach them, and defend against attackers.

Gilda wore clawless gloves on her claws, a bandanna around her neck, and armored plating, gripping a thin bladed sword. She would be a fast moving soldier, darting in and out to strike and defend her fellows. Gallus also had this role, and was beside her, holding two daggers in his claws and dark navy blue armor.

Pharynx stood beside Smolder, armor over his wings to protect the fragile digits, and a crossbow strapped to his back. He would be a soldier on the offensive, striking and attacking in order to block others attacks.

On Pharynx's other side was the newest member of the group and arguably the best warrior other than him, Tempest Shadow. She wore new armor from the armory, replacing the one from the Storm King. It was a purple shade with silver edges, and fit the mare perfectly. She would be working alongside Pharynx in offensive attacks, but she had no weapon. Shadowstar noticed.

"Tempest...? Where's your weapon?"

Tempest snorted. "I prefer to fight unarmed. I let my horn speak for itself." her broken horn crackled with energy.

"Noted." Shadowstar said, nodding. "Now, are we all ready to move out?"

"Not quite." a familiar voice from behind Shadowstar spoke.

Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Twilight, and Shining Armor walked up to them. Twilight wore a saddlebag that she levitated over to Shadowstar. It was dark purple with a silver outline of his cutie mark on it.

"In here are some basic supplies, as well as enough food to last you a week before you need to start foraging." Twilight explained

"We'll take care of that part." Gilda said "Living in Griffonstone has some perks, namely learning how to find food for yourself."

"I'll help." Pharynx added "Members of the Hive are taught to hunt prey, and other animals. Ponies may not eat meat but we certainly do."

Twilight nodded. "I thought of that, there's some dried meats in there, prepared by Spike, seeing as he's more accustomed to not eating food for herbivores."

"Alright." Shadowstar spoke for them all.

"Be safe, my son." Luna trotted forwards and nuzzled him. "I worry for you, despite knowing you will have protection."

"I will be safe, mother. Don't worry." Shadowstar assured her, nuzzling back.

Luna stepped away, eyes soft. "And yet, I still shall."

Shadowstar smiled at her, then looked to his sister and aunt. Celestia bowed her head.

"I wish you luck, Prince Shadowstar, in commanding your forces."

"C-Commanding? But..." Shadowstar glanced back at them. "I thought we agreed not to have a leader."

"Dude, you were literally just pacing around in front of us like a general." Sandbar said

Pharynx nodded. "As a general, I can confirm."

Ocellus stepped forwards. "We voted last night, while we were talking in our room. We all agreed that you should lead us."

"But... what about Pharynx? Or Tempest or Ember? Or you, Gilda? You're all natural leaders."

Tempest shook her head. "It... it is too soon since my time with the Storm King for me to consider stepping into a leadership role."

"And I wouldn't make a very good leader." Gilda added

Shadowstar looked to Pharynx and Ember. Ember shook her head.

"I would rather fight and strategize as a solider. Maybe in a few years when my father will be forced to relinquish the Bloodstone Scepter provided the war is over, I'll be ready to rule. Until then, I'm content to let someone else in my gang lead."

"And I have the feeling the creatures in our group wouldn't enjoy my style of leading." Pharynx said, Thorax giving a nod of agreement.

"I concur." Twilight spoke. "You are a Prince, you're a natural leader as well."

"Wings and a horn alone don't make you a leader." Shadowstar objected

"No, but Twilight does have the right idea." Celestia stepped forwards. "A true leader commands, not by forcing others to bow before him, but by inspiring others to stand beside him. You may not have gathered these creatures together, but you were their common goal that united them. They respect you and you have helped us all to see the good in their hearts."

"I guess that makes sense... thank you, Aunt Celestia."

"Either way, you are our leader Shadowstar. We need you." Smolder said

"Yeah!" Gabby agreed.

"Then... I will be the best leader I can be." Shadowstar proclaimed, smiling "Now let's go!"

"We should have a battle cry!" Gabby called out

"Hm... what about... onward; Resistance?" Ocellus suggested

"Let's try it." Shadowstar opened his wings. "Onward-"

"Resistance!" they all shouted

"...Eh, we'll work on it." Gallus shrugged, then raised one of his daggers, tucking the other in the sheath in his armor. "Onward!"

They all cheered, then headed out of the castle. Those who had wings spread them. Pharynx unhooked the plating on his back to reveal his wings. He then took off and reached for a compartment in his armor. Twilight had helped them design special harnesses for carrying wingless or injured creatures. He hooked it on and strapped it around Tempest, preparing to take off. Gallus picked up Sandbar, setting the colt on his back.

"Everyone ready?" Shadowstar asked

"Yes sir!" Ember, Pharynx, Tempest, Gilda, Gallus, and Smolder cried.

"Funny guys." Shadowstar sighed

"Sorry, instinct." Tempest and Pharynx said at the same time, then looked at each other.

"Anyway, let's go!" Shadowstar took off and led them away.

The resistance followed, cheering for a moment before falling into silence as they left the boundaries of Canterlot. Now, the sounds of battle were clear. Though some were scared, they still flew bravely towards the noise. Towards their destiny.

Author's Note:

It's back! And there will be a chapter coming out daily until the story's completed, so stay tuned!

~Melody Song