• Published 25th Feb 2020
  • 526 Views, 2 Comments

Stars in the Shadow of Night - Melody Song



Alternate Universe where Griffons, Changelings, Dragons, and Ponies are at war.

  • ...
2
 2
 526

Nightime Talks

"You what?!" Tempest and Pharynx exclaimed as one.

"I want you to join us. I can't promise you a horn. But...what would you say to friends?" Shadowstar asked

"Friends...?" Tempest looked around at all of them.

"Yeah, if you can show me how to do that kickflip I saw you do." Smolder said

"It would be nice having another female fighter." Ember added

"Yeah." Gilda joined in.

"I..." Tempest looked around at them all. "Really?"

"Of course. We would be honored to be your friends." Gabby said

"I...I'll do it. If you need a fighter, you've got one." Tempest said

"Let's head back to the others, they're probably wondering where we are." Shadowstar said "Do you need any help Tempest?"

"I think I can manage." Tempest said, limping after the group.

The makeshift splint on Tempest's leg held up rather well. They managed to make it back to the beach.

"There you are. Did you patrol the beach as asked? The Hippogriffs sent to do the same said they never saw you." Celestia said

"We...got held up." Shadowstar said

"With what, pray tell?" Luna asked

"We found somepony." Shadowstar beckoned Tempest forward, and the mare hobbled up to them. "She was hiding in one of the caves, and was hurt."

"That is the armor that was on the beasts." Queen Novo said, expanding a wing and drawing the yellow Hippogriff into her side.

"Tempest Shadow was working for the leader of the goons because he gave her a false promise." Shadowstar announced

"Being?" Celestia asked of Tempest.

"Your majesty..." Tempest bowed slightly, as much as her leg would allow. "I was promised that in return for my service, my horn would be restored."

"You realize that's impossible, right?" Twilight asked, coming to join Celestia.

"It crossed my mind." Tempest replied dryly. "But...I wanted my magic back so desperately, I believed he could do it."

"Tempest revealed to us the reason why her boss attacked, and assured us he was no threat. Aunt Celestia..." Shadowstar took a breath. This was a big thing to ask. "I would like for Tempest Shadow to join the Resistance. She is a good fighter and has shown no signs of still wanting to side with her old leader. He has pretty much left her for dead on this Mountain."

Celestia looked at Tempest warily, then Luna whispered something to her.

"Very well Shadowstar. I trust your judgement. However, I would like Tempest to consent to come with myself and Novo now, so we may discuss her 'employer' in greater detail."

"As you wish, your highness." Tempest replied

"I'll come too. Your leg should be looked at, what happened to it?" Cadence asked as they trotted away, Tempest limping along behind them.

"I fell during the battle and got my leg caught between some rocks. I wrenched it out but I couldn't walk on it well. I managed to drag myself into the cave where Shadowstar and his companions found me." Tempest explained as they left.

-------------------------------------

Pharynx strode out onto the balcony, sitting down in a huff. Celestia had teleported them all back to Canterlot, and Tempest had been given a room near the Resistance's. Tempest had explained she wasn't that comfortable with them yet. She also needed more immediate attention for her leg. Cadence and Luna had healed it mostly, but Tempest still walked with a limp.

"Pharynx?" Shadowstar sat down by him. "What's going on?"

"I don't trust her." Pharynx grunted. "How can anyone just turn around and decide to be good like that?"

"You did."

"That's different. Thorax and I had been plotting for years about the best way to escape the Hive."

"Oh..."

The two sat in silence a while longer, then Shadowstar looked up.

"Aunt Luna's night is really beautiful, isn't it?"

Pharynx grunted, and Shadowstar sighed.

"Pharynx, you should try to trust her. Tempest really seems like she's trying. All this is new to her. Give her time to figure out how she fits into our group and what role she plays." Shadowstar stood up. "We all need to figure that out, really. I'm going to bed. Come inside when you're ready."

Pharynx gave no indication he'd heard Shadowstar, but the colt knew he had. Hoofsteps sounded and Pharynx was left alone. Suddenly more hoofsteps could be heard. Pharynx sighed.

"Thorax, if that's you, I'm fine."

"I'm not Thorax." Pharynx whipped around to see Tempest standing behind him, smiling softly. "Sorry to disappoint you."

"I-It wasn't a disappointment, I just needed to be alone..." Pharynx sighed and looked back out to the stars.

"Sorry, I just came out for some air." Tempest sat down beside him, wincing slightly.

She still wore her armor from before, though Pharynx noticed that the place where the symbol had been was gone. It looked burnt slightly, as if someone had scorched it until the mark was no more.

"It's fine." Pharynx muttered to Tempest's apology. The two of them sat in silence for a minute or so.

"...After I lost my horn, I always went out to look at the stars. Watching them hang suspended in midair...so small and far away but so big in reality. It made my problems seem a lot smaller by comparison." Tempest sighed

"That's an interesting way to put it." Pharynx remarked, leaning his foreleg on the balcony railing.

"Yeah..." Tempest's horn glowed softly, the cracked and uneven top making the magic flicker.

"What are you doing?"

"Practicing." Tempest let a small spark fly from her horn, and it exploded in front of the balcony. Pharynx perked up.

"That was pretty cool. Can you do a bigger one?"

"Yes, but the others may think something's wrong."

"They'll just think it's noise from all the battles. Come on." Pharynx urged.

Tempest smiled at him and made another, bigger spark explode. Pharynx nodded and moved closer. Tempest made another, and the two smiled at each other in the light the explosion created.

"You're pretty cool, for a pony." Pharynx told her.

"And you're pretty tough, for a bug." Tempest teased back

"I like your name, Tempest Shadow." Pharynx said, looking away. "It's like Shadowstar's. Not too cute but not too depressing either."

"Actually..." Tempest shifted. "Tempest Shadow's not my real name."

"What is?" Pharynx asked

"You have to promise not to tell anyone or to laugh." Tempest told him

"I won't, promise." Pharynx said

"Okay..." Tempest leaned in. "It's...Fizzlepop Berrytwist." She whispered in his ear.

Pharynx leaned back a little, blinking in shock. Then, he began snickering.

"I said not to laugh!" Tempest exclaimed, turning red.

"No, no, I'm not laughing at you." Pharynx assured her "It's just...what were your parents thinking?"

"I don't know." Tempest smiled

"I can see why you changed your name. Tempest suits you a lot better, I think."

"I changed it after I lost my horn. I could do magic when I went by my old name."

"Tempest..." Pharynx edged closer. "You're great without a horn. You're...you're perfect. You can make amazing explosions, and you're a really great fighter."

"Oh. Thanks." Tempest smiled.

"I never knew you when you had a horn...but I bet you weren't half as cool with it."

"Thank you Pharynx...no one's ever complimented me like that before." Tempest blushed.

"No problem. That's what friends do-I think." Pharynx smiled, his own chitin growing darker in a sign he was blushing.

Pink light surrounded Pharynx momentarily, and he sighed, basking in the love he'd just shared.

"You want to go back inside?" Tempest suggested

"Sure. Why not?"

Pharynx smiled at her again as they headed in, and when they walked in, Pharynx stuck close by her side, steadying her if she stumbled. Tempest leaned against Pharynx of her own will, and the two talked in low voices as they made their way back to their rooms.