• Published 25th Feb 2020
  • 526 Views, 2 Comments

Stars in the Shadow of Night - Melody Song



Alternate Universe where Griffons, Changelings, Dragons, and Ponies are at war.

  • ...
2
 2
 526

Fight

They emerged on a sandy shoreline, and Celestia looked up at their surroundings. They stood before a cliff, and a bird cry echoed around them. A Hippogriff in golden armor landed before them.

"Princess Celestia. It is an honor." He bowed to her. "I am General Sky Beak. My Queen is waiting for your arrival."

"Where is Novo?" Celestia asked

"Waiting with her daughter and niece, my daughter." the General replied

Celestia looked around, then turned back.

"Take Cadence, Twilight, and Shining Armor to her. They will help to guard Novo and the princesses."

The named ponies stepped forwards and joined him. Twilight still carried the supplies, which was most likely why Celestia had offered she accompany them.

"What about you and the other creatures?" General Sky Beak asked.

"We will face this enemy head on." Luna replied for Celestia, going to join her.

"Very well." the Hippogriff turned and raised a claw. "The fighting is on the other side of the Harmonizing Heights. You know the way, Princess."

Sky Beak then led the Princess of Love, the Captain of the Guard, and Celestia's faithful student in the other direction. Shadowstar followed his Aunt and Mother as they headed for the other side of the cliffs.

"When we get there, everyone should stay alert." Celestia began, but stopped when a blast of energy shot from around the cliff and scorched the sand before them.

"We have to hurry!" Shadowstar said, running forwards, he could hear the others following. He skidded to a halt in the sand and was greeted by a terrifying sight.

Hippogriffs were fighting big storm-looking things, with long shaggy hair and armor with a strange electric blue arrow-symbol on it. It seemed there was no end to them, and they kept striking down Hippogriffs. He saw a few sheltering in shallow alcoves along the cliffs. Some held eggs or young chicks behind them.

"What do we do?" Ocellus asked

"Auntie?" Shadowstar looked to her, and Celestia smiled.

"This is meant to be a real-life trial for you Shadowstar. You may end up leading this Resistance, or at the very least assisting their leaders. Show me how you take charge." Celestia replied. Shadowstar nodded, then turned to the others.

"We fan out. Some of us should help save the non-fighting Hippogriffs and the injured ones. Get them to safety. Others should attack these big storm-things." Shadowstar directed

"Is that a pony?!" Sandbar suddenly exclaimed, distracting them.

Shadowstar followed his gaze to see a mare wearing the same black armor as the storm creatures. The blue symbol rested above the place where her cutie mark would be. The mare herself had a dark purple coat, and a deep magenta mane that was in a mohawk style. Her eyes were a teal color, and one had a faded scar running down it. The mare's face was set in determination.

"Is...is it a Unicorn?" Gabby asked

Shadowstar narrowed his eyes and peered closer. Gabby was right, the mare was a Unicorn. Only, her horn was no more than an inch long, with a jagged top. It had been broken. The mare channeled crackling magic through the remnants of her horn and a ball of pure electrical energy was blasted at a nearby Hippogriff. Clearly she was the source of the electricity ball that had stained the sand.

"Something tells me she's not on our side." Gilda remarked.

"Come on, let's go!" Shadowstar ordered, and they dove into the fray.

Gallus and Gilda paired up into a tag-team, clawing and slashing at the storm creatures, driving them back from the Hippogriffs. Ember and Smolder breathed out great bursts of fire to scare the beasts away. Pharynx worked his way into the fray on his own. But he acted as though he was his own army by shapeshifting into various forms to tackle the creatures or swipe them backwards. One of the forms was a giant purple...spider-bug? Shadowstar couldn't really tell. Celestia and Luna went back-to-back, driving off the beasts as well.

Meanwhile, Sandbar, Ocellus, Thorax, and Gabby ran to the Hippogriffs. Thorax grabbed one with an injured leg and started dragging him out of the battle, grunting. Ocellus went to another hurt soldier and used her magic to half-drag, half-pull him through the sand. Sandbar raced into the waves, running past the breakers and towards a Hippogriff he'd seen get blasted into the water. Sandbar paddled out and locked a hoof around the female, then proceeded to swim back to shore with his free legs. Gabby flew over to a Hippogriff mother and took her claw.

"It's okay. We're here to help."

"Thank the sea spirits." she sighed, then reached behind her and pulled a young Hippogriff to the front.

"Here, I'll take her. You follow right behind me, okay?" Gabby offered.

The Hippogriff mother nodded, murmuring comfortingly to the chick before setting her on Gabby's back. The two then flew out of the cave, heading for the cliffs. Gabby set the chick down and her mother curled around her.

"You'll be safe here! Now I've got to go help!" Gabby took off back down the cliff to help Ocellus lift another hurt Hippogriff to safety.

Shadowstar noticed that the storm beasts were running back to these gigantic ships, and took off, surveying the group. He saw Pharynx was now approaching the Unicorn. He swooped down and landed beside Pharynx, moving in stride with the Changeling. The Unicorn didn't seem to see them, but as they neared her, she whipped around.

"Nice try. You really thought I wouldn't see you?" she snarled

"Who are you? Why are you working for these beasts?" Shadowstar asked

"It's none of you business, little Prince." she growled, charging up her horn.

"Shadowstar!" Pharynx pushed him out of the way and transformed into a large dragon, taking the brunt of the impact.

"You...you saved him." the Unicorn said, stopping and watching Pharynx transform back.

"Well, yeah. We're a team. Now do you think you want to back down?" Pharynx asked with a low growl, baring his fangs.

The Unicorn hesitated, then turned and disappeared into the fray.

The group continued working. Shadowstar rotated between helping get Hippogriffs to safety and helping to fight. Finally, most of the storm goons had been chased off back into their ships or run around the island.

"Come on, we should patrol the island to make sure none of them escaped." Gilda remarked

"Good idea." Shadowstar said.

"Indeed." Luna agreed

"Princesses!" Twilight ran up to them and surveyed the battlefield warily. Shining and Cadence were behind her.

"How did the protecting go Twilight?" Celestia asked

"A few of those creatures managed to make it down to us, but we drove them off Auntie." Cadence replied

"Um, we're here to announce..." Shining began, then turned. "Queen Novo, of the Hippogriffs."

The Hippogriff was taller than the rest, and seemed very graceful. Behind her came a young Hippogriff with a yellow and blue coloring. She was walking alongside one with pink and blue coloring of the same age.

"Celestia, Luna. It has been a long time." Novo said, and Celestia stepped forward.

"It has indeed, old friend." Celestia turned to look at Shadowstar. "Shadowstar, can you take your team to scout the edges of Mount Aris? As Gilda said, we must ensure the creatures have all left."

"Yes Aunt Celestia, of course." Shadowstar turned and gestured with his wing for them to start walking.

"You know," Sandbar began. "This battle...it felt like something we should do for our resistance."

"I agree." Shadowstar said "It was almost like Aunt Celestia knew this was a perfect 'practice' before we went into the huge war back home."

"Well, we definitely have a plan now." Pharynx agreed.

Then, they heard a noise from nearby. The fighters in the group all rushed to defensive positions. When there was no more movement, Shadowstar cautiously approached the bend.

"Hello? Is someone there?"