• Published 25th Feb 2020
  • 526 Views, 2 Comments

Stars in the Shadow of Night - Melody Song



Alternate Universe where Griffons, Changelings, Dragons, and Ponies are at war.

  • ...
2
 2
 526

Prepare

"So, then which one of us is going to help them?" Twilight asked. "I would be happy to-"

"No." Shining Armor immediately objected. "Twily, mom and dad have already left for the war, I can't lose you too."

"Well, none of the Princesses can go, they're needed here." Twilight objected.

"Twilight is correct, us remaining here assures our subjects they both have a reason to keep fighting and that Equestria has not lost its light." Luna agreed

"I could-" Shadowstar started to say, but before he could finish, one of the assistants, Raven, entered, with Spike behind her.

"Twilight!" Spike was waving a scroll in his claw.

"Your majesty, the young Spike and I were passing by a room when we saw the fireplace within release this scroll." Raven told her.

"I thought only my dragon fire could send messages." Spike added as Celestia took the scroll from his grip.

Celestia's eyes flashed as she recognized the seal.

"Spike is not the first dragon to be able to send messages with his fire."

"First time I've heard of that being possible." Smolder remarked

"It has to do with the fact he was hatched by unicorn magic. Twilight's magic, to be exact. A dragon similar to him granted me that fire once before. It allows me to communicate with any other who has the same fire. It has not been used in many moons and now, only one creature should be able to have this same fire..." Celestia scanned the letter and her eyes widened.

"Princess?" Twilight asked, lifting Spike onto her back.

"Novo." Celestia breathed, and Luna leapt up.

"What has happened to her?"

"She has sent an urgent message, we are lucky Spike and Raven found it when they did. She and her kingdom are under attack by a strange enemy, and is asking for our assistance."

"Who is Novo?" Shadowstar asked

"You don't know?" Gilda asked him, and he shook his head.

"Novo is the Queen of the Hippogriffs, and a good friend of ours." Celestia replied

"Hippogriffs? I thought they were a myth!" Gabby cried

"They're real." Cadence replied "Aunt Celestia told me about them. They live on Mount Aris, on an island surrounded by water."

"It is rather isolated, I can understand why I have not heard from Novo in a while. Last I heard, she had lain an egg." Celestia said. "...It would have hatched by now, come to think of it. Most likely around your age..." she gestured to the youngest creatures "Perhaps that is why she is pleading for our help now."

"Aunt Celestia, we must help them!" Cadence said

"I agree with Cadence, sister." Luna added

"But we have just agreed to help these resistors, and we still have not decided who-"

"I'll do it." Shadowstar cut her off. "I'll join them, and I'll take them to help the Hippogriffs."

"No offense Prince, but a bunch of random creatures showing up to help an isolated colony may not be the best idea." Gallus told him.

"I can understand that, at least. But I wasn't even officially coronated before the war. As far as anyone in Equestria knows, I do not exist. As my name suggests, I can slip among the shadows, and it would be far less likely any of your kind's armies would notice me. As for the rest of you, what better way to start off your resistance than by gaining the trust and support of an entire kingdom as thanks for helping them?" Shadowstar told them.

"You have made well-put and wise suggestions." Luna told him

"Yes, but I do not feel comfortable with letting you go alone." Celestia objected. "So...I believe that on this mission to Mount Aris, the rest of us should accompany you."

Celestia looked down at the mass of creatures, eyes sharp.

"If you can prove that you are truly here to ensure the well-being of all the races, and if you, Shadowstar, can prove you will work well with them, then I will let him go. Does that sound fair?"

"So basically eating two gems with one bite here?" Smolder asked

"In changeling culture we call it draining two ponies in one deception." Pharynx told her

"Griffons say catching two fish in one claw." Gilda objected

"It really depends on the pony as for how they say it." Sandbar remarked

"All mannerisms aside-no matter how fascinating it would be to compare them-we have a battle to prepare for, do we not?" Twilight asked

"Yes Twilight, we do." Celestia agreed, standing. "Raven, find Kibtz and prepare Luna and I's old armor-he can show you where it is."

"Yes your highness." Raven left the room at a brisk trot.

"I'll go to the armory and gather supplies." Shining Armor said, turning.

"Spike, go to the kitchens and tell the chefs to prepare food that can be taken on a long trip." Twilight told him, then glanced at the creatures. "As well as some for the carnivores here."

"I would advise collecting some specialty items from your private stores as well." Luna teased, and Spike groaned.

"It took me forever to find a good hiding spot! Now I'll have to move 'em again." He looked over at the creatures. "You two don't get any of the emeralds though, they're my favorite."

"Fine by me, I prefer rubies." Ember shrugged

"I like topaz, personally." Smolder added.

"Cadence, Twilight, I believe you had best come with us. You as well, Shadowstar." Celestia said

"Why Auntie?" Cadence asked, and Luna's eyes twinkled as she smiled.

"Last time I checked-which was quite recently, about a month ago-we had some spare suits of armor that would fit you wonderfully."

"Really?!" Cadence's eyes shone, and using her magic she undid the bow resting in her mane. "Shining taught me some moves, I call dibs on any staffs!"

"I'll take a spear." Shadowstar agreed, and Cadence laughed.

"Then come along brother, Aunt Celestia showed me where the armor room was!"

"I get to come?" Twilight asked

"Of course Twilight. We would be lost without you and your brother's magic and teamwork." Celestia told her. "There are quite a few armor pieces that would suit you."

"We have our own armor, we'll prepare it as well." Pharynx told them, turning to lead them back to their room. "Come on guys, this castle's easy to navigate compared to the Hive."