• Published 1st Mar 2020
  • 339 Views, 9 Comments

11 Short Dreams About Equestria - FanficReader920



Join Princess Luna as she ventures through the dreams of numerous creatures that live in the magical world of Equestria.

  • ...
 9
 339

Dream #6: Octavia

"Well, the letter's not gonna open itself."

As much as her marefriend’s kind words helped alleviate some of the tension that had consumed Octavia's entire being, it wasn't enough to vanquish it entirely.

The two were sitting on the loveseat that lay on Octavia's side of her and Vinyl's shared house in Ponyville. They had just been in the middle of a wonderful jam session. However, that had come to an abrupt halt when, out of the corner of her eye, she had spied a grey-coated mail mare placing a letter into their mailbox before flying off. Now the letter was on the coffee table, its contents still hidden.

Octavia felt the couch shift as Vinyl leaned in closer, placing a comforting hoof on her shoulder.

"I... I just don't know if I can bear another one, Vinyl," Octavia said, her breathing getting a little deeper.

The earth pony had been thinking about the piles of other letters she possessed in her bedroom, all of the rejections she'd received over the years.

"So what if it is another one?" the unicorn said.

"So what?!" the earth pony questioned, Vinyl's hoof separating from her shoulder as she leaned away and turned toward her marefriend in confrontation. "I've applied to so many orchestras, Vinyl! If I don't make this one, that's it!"

Octavia took a moment to breathe, gathering her thoughts in a calmer manner, not wanting to drive Vinyl away for just trying to help her feel better in her own... Vinyl-y way.

"I don't want to be in Ponyville forever, Vinyl," she explained. "I want music to be able to take me to places I've never seen. For Celestia's sake, it's my special talent. If I don't make this, what kind of musician am I?"

A pregnant pause entered the room for a few moments.

"Not the orchestra kind, I guess."

If Octavia were in a better mindset, she'd almost find that remark funny.

"What else is there for a cellist?" Octavia countered. "Classical musicians don't just succeed on their own anymore, Vinyl."

"Well, we'll just have to find out," Vinyl explained. "'Tavi, if there's one thing I know, it's that you have the same passion for music as me, and you've seen how I am with my beats. Even if this is a rejection, then maybe it just means you're not meant to be in an orchestra... maybe it means you're meant for something greater than just being a cog in a musical machine... maybe it means you and I found each other for a reason."

The grey earth pony had a look of puzzlement cross her visage. "You mean our sessions?"

"I mean, how many classical and electronic collaborations can you think of?" the unicorn posed. "If you're not supposed to make it with an orchestra, maybe it means you and I are supposed to be in this together. Two ponies, each passionate about their own type of music, coming together to make something nopony in Equestria has ever heard."

Octavia just gave a resigned smile, as she leaned onto her marefriend’s shoulder, staring up at the ceiling.

"You know, I'd ask you if you knew how unlikely that would be, but I already know that'd be useless," the cellist remarked.

"You know you love me," the D.J. responded.

Octavia allowed herself to be consoled with dreams of other paths her life might take her, should the letter not contain the response she'd be hoping for. Suddenly, it didn't seem like the end-all and be-all anymore. Life would still go on, and if that life had Vinyl in it, then at least it would be a fun ride.

"You always know just what to say, you know that?"


As Luna exited the dream, she could not help but feel for Octavia slightly. Her marefriend's dream was the first one she'd visited that night. The fact that Vinyl did not speak in her own, while she did in her marefriend's, told Luna all she needed to know.

Ponies’ subconscious desires always manifested themselves in their dreams, whether major or innocuous.

The Princess of the Night couldn't help but think back to the memories she still had from her thousand year imprisonment on the moon. Once she heard her sister's voice for the first time in centuries, it had made her realize how important just hearing another pony's voice was.

Luna could only hope that this currently innocent part of their relationship wouldn’t lead to tension later on.

She magically grabbed a new dream that sat about a foot above her head, ready to see what the next dream had in store.

Author's Note:

I might try to play with the idea of Octavia being in a relationship with a mute Vinyl again at some point if inspiration strikes me.