• Published 1st Mar 2020
  • 338 Views, 9 Comments

11 Short Dreams About Equestria - FanficReader920



Join Princess Luna as she ventures through the dreams of numerous creatures that live in the magical world of Equestria.

  • ...
 9
 338

Prologue: Once Upon a Time in Canterlot

“You know, we really should bring a couple of chairs out here,” Princess Luna snidely remarked as she approached her older sister, who was standing on a balcony that overlooked the shining city of Canterlot.

“I don’t think that’s necessary.” Princess Celestia smiled at the Princess of the Night’s arrival. “I’ve always found the railing to be perfectly adequate to take the weight off my hind hooves.”

To prove her point, the Princess of the Sun did just that, crossing her front hooves and placing them atop the railing, her eyes still fixed on the city below.

“How was your slumber, dear sister?”

“Quite well,” Luna replied. “Did anything interesting happen in Day Court today?”

Celestia smiled. “Actually....”

Luna didn’t want her sister to waste a second. “Oh, this should be good.” The dark blue alicorn copied her sister's position on the balcony’s railing and waited in anticipation for what was sure to be an amusing tale.

“One of my petitioners was this male pegasus from Las Pegasus who wanted me to use my power to free ponies from, in his words, ‘the social trap of compulsory tipping.’ Said he didn’t believe in it.”

“While that is unusual, I fail to understand the humor of this story, sister.”

“The funny part about it… is that he actually makes a good point.”

“You’re not saying that he made you reconsider tipping, are you?!”

“Of course not, sister, but it made me realize how vibrant and different our little ponies’ lives are compared to ours. Suppose, for a moment, we didn’t tip waitresses when we went out to eat. Would anypony look at us any differently?” Celestia asked.

“Considering the way they worship the ground we walk on, I suppose not,” Luna remarked.

“Exactly. It almost feels like we’re on different planes of existence to them. While we toil away up here, running the government, there could be a young stallion out there trying to woo a mare he’s become smitten with or a single mare trying her hardest to make it in the big city. There must be thousands of great stories out there that never reach our ears.”

“Does Sunny Skies need to make a return? I could always take over raising the sun for a few decades or so. It’d only be fair,” Luna suggested.

“As much as I’d love to, it hasn’t been long enough yet. I have to wait about 300 years so I don’t raise much suspicion.”

A calm silence accompanied the two royal sisters for a minute as they stared at the city below.

“Sometimes, I envy you, sister,” Celestia said.

“Oh?”

“You don’t even have to assume a disguise to be close to our little ponies. There was a psychologist a century ago or so that said, ‘Dreams are the gateway to the subconscious.’ So, in a way, you do every night what takes me centuries. Funny, isn’t it?”

Luna looked to her sister, and while she didn’t look like she’d ever cry at this notion, she noticed a longing look in her sister’s eyes as she observed the city below.

Suddenly, the Princess of the Night got an idea.

“You know, I could always tell you about the dreams I visit tonight when you wake up tomorrow morning.”

Celestia looked to her younger sister in shock. “Sister, I couldn’t ask you to do that! Isn’t that…”

Luna raised her hoof, signaling for Celestia to stop. “I know, it’s a bit… questionable, but you’re my sister, and I hate seeing you like this. If there’s a way I’m able to help, I want to do it. Plus, it’s only for one night, and well, what no pony knows won’t hurt them.”

Celestia thought it over. “All right. If you’re sure.” A mischievous smile crept onto her face.

“It actually feels kind of nice to do something sneaky for once,” Celestia admitted.

“Don’t get used to it,” Luna said, smiling at her sister’s joy.

“I’ll go ahead and leave you to it then,” Celestia said as her horn began to glow orange. In response, the sun began to set lower and lower in the sky until it disappeared under the horizon. “Have a pleasant night, sister.”

Luna, in response, activated her horn, which emanated a calm blue glow, which brought forth the moon from below the horizon. Once it was properly in the sky that overlooked the city at just the right angle, the celestial body was left to its own devices.

“Good night, sister,” Luna said.

As Celestia made her way back inside, Luna took a moment to admire the stars that accompanied the moon in the sky the same way one would admire a great piece of artwork.

However, she couldn’t do so for long, for she had one other goal tonight. Not only was she making sure of the mental well-being of her little ponies, but she also was on the hunt for great stories for her sister.

With another blue glow of her horn, Princess Luna entered the dream realm.

Similar to the starry sky, the dream realm was awash with many glowing white spheres, about the size of a pony’s head. She made sure none of the immediate spheres around her were rapidly blinking, an indication that a pony was having a nightmare. For the moment, there wasn’t one.

“All right then, I guess we’ll just pick one of you at random,” Luna thought to herself. “Eenie-meenie-miney-mo, catch an Ursa by the toe, if he hollers let him go, my mother said to pick the very best one and you… are… it.” The alicorn selected a sphere that, at first, was moving about 3 meters to her right, and levitated it over to herself.

“Let’s see what we’ve got here,” Luna said as she enlarged the sphere with her magic until it was a large enough size for her to walk through.

Once she stepped right in, a white glow enveloping her being as she entered her first dream of the night.

Author's Note:

Fun Fact #1: The stallion that Celestia described was based on Steve Buscemi's character in the film Reservoir Dogs. Here's the clip where he talks about tipping:

Fun Fact #2: The way Celestia and Luna were leaning on the balcony references the Simpsons episode this story is based on "22 Short-Films about Springfield," where Bart and Millhouse begin the episode overlooking a highway.