• Published 26th Dec 2019
  • 243 Views, 16 Comments

The Fall of Valencia - Etherium-Apex



The story of an ancient and beautiful city invaded by darkness, both within and out.

  • ...
 16
 243

Preparing for War

The city was once again active as its denizens began gathering their belongings, organized by Legionnaires into separate groups. Marcellus oversaw the evacuation, watching as a large number of stallions, young and old, lined up at the barracks to receive their assigned weaponry and armor.

While there were a great many who were in their prime fighting age, there were still a troubling number of stallions who were either advanced in age, or had not yet reached adulthood. Marcellus and Felix watched as the line continued. Each stallion made eye contact with them, before shifting their focus ahead or to the ground. Every one of them carried a solemn expression, a look of trouble, numbed by their situation.

"They look so young..." Felix said quietly.

"No, not yet old enough to have felt the comfort of a mare."

"Does that not trouble you?"

"It does greatly. But there is much at stake, Felix, and we need all the help we can muster."

"Are we possibly sending them to their death? I'm not sure of how I feel about this."

"Any stallion should consider it an honor to die for their home. Would you not agree?"

Felix could not speak.

"Is that not why you joined the Legion?"

"Marcellus... I joined so I could be with you."

Marcellus made a quick smile, looking at the ground.

"Fair enough. And I'm glad you're here with me. But remember the oath."

"Of course, Marcellus."

"These stallions are to be considered honorary Legionnaires for their service. We owe them the same respect, and they owe us the same honor. They know the law."

"How often are law and morality found together?"

"Mmm. We need their help. There is no other option."


"All has turned to desperation and madness," Marcus snarled as he ascended his tower. "Why do the fools fight? Do they know what comes for them, for us? They will never achieve victory."

As he ventured through his hall, his horn came to life, lighting his scowling face with a red glow. The many paintings began to drop from their fixtures one by one as he passed, their frames shattering as they hit the floor.

"All of their work was an exercise in vanity. They left me with nothing, and now my own son turns against me. They have betrayed me. They have all betrayed me."


Atop the city's outer wall, Marcellus watched as groups of citizens were led away from the city, protected by soldiers and trained unicorns. Felix approached his side.

"Do you think they will be attacked?" Felix asked.

"Hm... after some thought, I doubt that they would expect us to attempt an evacuation with the barrier in place. There will be wildlife on the road, but the shadow army's eye is fixed on our walls."

"They will see it."

"The army will be attacking from the southeast, where Valencia's outer villages once stood. The evacuation is taking place in the northwest, outside of their view. If they are seen, it will not be by many."

"I hope you're right, Marcellus. Let us wish them safe passage to Astica."

"Astica, the city of pretenders," Marcellus replied. "They prize their wine and gold more greatly than their fellow ponyfolk. The only value they bring to me is their spiced cider, mulled with cinnamon and nutmeg."

"Quite a thing to remember."

"The only thing that would bring me back if not for the invasion. I know not whose company would be worse, theirs or the Umbrum."

They stepped down from the high walls and patrolled the city, watching as his soldiers and the civilian volunteers prepared. Soldiers teaching the civilians various techniques, and unicorns practicing their magic. As he walked by, Marcellus saw a young unicorn let out a stream of blue light from her horn, watching it spread through the air and stepping aside as it winded its way past him. It then dissipated into sparks, leaving a brief tingling sensation on his skin. Appealing to look at, but perhaps not useful.

"How many do we have, Felix?"

"According to the last approximated count, we have one thousand Legionnaires on hand, two thousand civilian stallions, and three hundred mares ready to fight."

"As ready as they can be. One would hope for greater numbers against our current foe, but we will do what we must."

“A total of three thousand three hundred combatants… against an army of what we estimate to be eight thousand. The odds are ever against us.”

“I find no reason to despair. It isn’t always about numbers when at war, after all.”

“That is true. Do you remember the Battle of Pilomentia a few centuries ago, when the vast armies of the Northern Separatists were forced through a narrow corridor to reach their target, thus leaving their numbers useless?”

Marcellus chuckled. He remembered it quite well. Those Crystal Ponies of the North had made numerous attempts to break away from the Empire. Every attempt failed, to their dismay.

“Yes, I remember,” Marcellus said. “Though things are somewhat different now. We have no narrow spaces, and our new enemy is much more fearsome than a few rebels.”

“I hope we make it through, Marcellus. I really do.”

“I do, too,” Marcellus sighed. “For now, though, we should get some rest. The night is late, and we have much to prepare for.”

“Hmm. Alright. I don’t feel like I’ll get much sleep though. My mind races with endless thoughts.”

“Try.”