• Published 26th Dec 2019
  • 243 Views, 16 Comments

The Fall of Valencia - Etherium-Apex



The story of an ancient and beautiful city invaded by darkness, both within and out.

  • ...
 16
 243

The New Battlefield

A great evil loomed in the distance, a short distance from Valencia. A growing sickness, lingering in the dark. An army of skeletal forms, charred black by malice, led by an ashen stallion, wisping with smoke and blood-red eyes which glowed brightly in the night. Ryken, the King of Umbra, watched as the light scattered over the distant city. A twisted smile stretched across his face, revealing sharpened sets of yellowed teeth.

"They think their old magic will save them," he said. His voice was low and gravelly, like the growling sounds of a lurking predator. "They are mistaken."

Around him lay the ruined ashes of a once-green village, black crystals jutting through burned wooden beams glowing with the embers of the life that once stood. Not a soul was left, only the shadows of a deathly realm.

"Soon, these wretched creatures will feel true terror. They will plead for their lives. They will suffer an eternity of torture at our hands. We're ready."


Back in the city, the commoners saw as the shield descended, and immediately they grew concerned, with whispers of a possible invasion filling the cobblestone streets. There was already talk of the outer villages being destroyed, and they began piecing together what was happening. Some grew afraid, rushing to their homes to collect their loved ones.

Marcellus and Felix descended from the tower with their magic, and upon seeing the commotion, they ran to the town square, abandoning their previous attempts at stealth. They knew that the townsponies would flock to them for answers, and they gathered at the center of the open forum, past the vendors who were then closing up shop. They were surrounded by ponies on all sides, all asking similar questions.

"What's happening?!"

"Are we under attack?"

"We are aware of the alarm this may cause," Marcellus spoke loudly and with confidence. "We have activated the Aegis Clypeus, the old magical barrier that protects the city. What you have heard is true - we are being invaded by the shadow army."

Sounds of alarm spread through the crowd, many of them holding their foals close. The threat of war grew, and their hearts were soft.

"We must evacuate!"

"Why would we flee into the darkness? The shield will protect us!"

"Indeed," Marcellus replied. "By the great magic of our forebears, you will be kept safe. No shadow can penetrate our light."

"Marcellus," Felix chimed in. "Are you certain of this? Not a single soul has seen the Aegis for quite an age. We don't know of its capabilities. It may work, but are we willing to risk it? There are so many good lives at stake. Perhaps we should evacuate as well."

"As I said, it would be too dangerous," Marcellus said, looking back to Felix. "And if we were to evacuate, we would need approval from Marcus to issue the order."

"You will do no such thing!" Marcus stepped through the flocks of ponies, a scornful look across his face. The bystanders began whispering to each other as they stepped aside for him. "All the fire and ruin of the blackened realms makes its way to our doorstep. Against the evil that awaits us, there can be no victory. They will find you, they will take you, and you will beg for death at their mercy!"

There was a strange flash in Marcus' eyes. Only for a very brief moment, enough for Marcellus to notice and blink.

"I will not just lay down my arms and give up hope, father!"

"That's 'my lord' to you."

"We must fight while there is still hope!"

"There is none!" Marcus shouted, now facing his son. "You merely waste your effort. This feeble attempt at fighting, this evacuation, this.. shield! If you had any dignity, you would accept your fate and bring it down!"

"Do you really want to be known for this, my lord? A leader so distraught and desperate that he willfully sacrificed an entire city rather than put up any kind of resistance?"

"You know nothing of this matter!"

"Marcellus," Felix said quietly. "We are Legionnaires. We only serve as guards. We answer to Magnus. Face your father, show some authority."

Marcellus sighed, glaring at his father, who returned the favor. He turned once more to face the onlookers, and took a deep breath.

"By the name of the Great Magnus de Vaspian, and as the highest ranking officer, I hereby declare martial law over the City of Valencia. Authority now belongs to the Legion, who will be issuing orders and declarations from this point forward. My first declaration is as follows: The city must empty. Despite the shield's presence, we are unwilling to lay your lives against it. Every mare and foal will be escorted to the nearest city of Astica by our troops. Every stallion able to bear arms will be required to stay and fight. Any mare willing to stay will be welcomed as well."

There was immediate chatter among the crowds, with some rushing to their homes to collect their things. Many stallions protested, finding it unfair that they must fight. Marcus was distraught, shooting a nasty look at Marcellus.

"You cannot do this!" Marcus shouted.

"I already have. I only ever wanted to please you, father, and I held this back for as long as I could. But I'm done. I will leave you to your madness." Another soldier approached Marcellus, with his armor in tow, presenting it to the captain. Marcellus took his helmet and placed it upon his head. "I have a city to save."

Marcus growled and grasped at Marcellus as he tried to walk away, yanking him back. "This city is MINE!"

Marcellus' horn came to life, and a fiery light formed beside him. A magical blade was conjured, his weapon of choice. He pushed Marcus back and placed the energy sword against his throat.

"You know the penalty for going against His Majesty, Lord Marcus. Don't make yourself the first casualty in this city. Back away, return to your tower, and wallow in your own misery." The sword dissipated, and Marcellus walked away, as Marcus stood still and watched, fuming. Felix was delivered his equipment as well, and he followed behind Marcellus, looking at Marcus and shaking his head.