• Published 26th Dec 2019
  • 242 Views, 16 Comments

The Fall of Valencia - Etherium-Apex



The story of an ancient and beautiful city invaded by darkness, both within and out.

  • ...
 16
 242

The Coming Darkness

14 Harvest, year 4502 of the Magnum Age

"So, the outer villages are lost." Marcus faced away from his son, decorated in his furred gray cloak and the gold headband which graced his azure fur and long fiery mane. They stood within the great halls of the highest tower, once home of greater rulers, but now desecrated by a woeful lord.

"Yes, my lord." Marcellus gave a hint of distress, but his expression remained calm as he observed his father, standing in his silver armor. The red crest hid his own darker auburn mane as it lay over his cornflower coat. His amber eyes were steely and stoic.

"Were you not entrusted to protect them?" His voice was now a low, intimidating growl.

"We did our best, my lord. We saved the villagers, and we fought down to the last stallion, but the power of the shadow army was too great. We were overwhelmed."

"So, that's it then." Marcus turned to face his son.

"My lord, they will be upon us soon. They will not stop until every city is theirs. We must protect Valencia. Should we not call for aid from nearby armies?"

Marcus made a quiet sound. His blue eyes penetrated Marcellus' gaze. "Ever do you seek to win my approval. And what is the goal, might I ask? To achieve a fleeting victory, the uproarious sound of clamorous fools, yearning to escape their ultimate fate, and to become something greater than I ever could be?"

"What? No, I-"

"You wish to make a fool of your own father, to do what he could not! To become an image of splendor while I become forgotten!"

Marcellus could not speak. He felt a pressure in his eyes as the turmoil of emotions grew within him.

"...No," Marcus spoke quietly, "We are alone in this battle. Leave my sight, Marcellus. You have done enough to help your kin."

Marcellus sighed, his breath uneven. "I will do what I can to protect my home, father."

"As you wish."

"If I succeed, I would hope that you find it in your heart to show greater love for your son." Marcellus bowed and turned to leave, hearing not a word from Marcus.

Marcellus was met by the sun as he departed, and the usual sounds of the city. The journey back down the steps to Valencia proper was a perilous one, not by way of physical danger, but of the conflict that lay in his mind. The city needed help; they could not win on their own. But what was he to do? Betray his honor by defying his own father and the ruler of the city?

As he returned to his garrison, he watched as the townsfolk carried out their daily lives, all blissfully unaware, returning greetings as he received them. Only Marcellus knew what was to come. He slowed for a moment as he passed by a tavern. He longed for some relief from his trouble, but ultimately moved on.

He eventually reached his station by the outer wall of the city. There the flag of the Solar Empire idly waved in the wind, its vibrant red and gold colors contrasting the deep blue sky. Its gold sun, wreathed in light blue laurels, emblazoned on a vibrant red backdrop. He had always wanted to meet Magnus himself, but perhaps in less dark times.

The troops within were all busy sharpening their steel and polishing their armor, exercising their muscles, and sparring. Marcellus was met with a salute by any who met eyes with him. He could see the fear in their gaze, the worry that they tried to keep hidden. He said nothing, for he understood their distress, and shared it himself.

"Well, Captain Marcellus? Will any help be coming to Valencia?"

He was approached by Second Lieutenant, Felix. He was similar in age, with fur like sandstone and a mane of gold. Marcellus sighed.

"No. We will be holding back this invasion on our own."

Felix let out an exasperated sigh.

"I should have expected it," Felix said. "Lord Marcus is lost. His troubles are too great to be a fitting leader! Why do we even listen to him?"

"As unfortunate as it is, we answer to him. We must do as he says. We swore to do so when we joined the Legion."

Felix huffed. He had a feeling there was another reason Marcellus was so obedient to his father.

"How much time do you expect we have, Captain?"

"Two days, approximately."

"Are you sure?" Felix's violet eyes studied the ground. "If that's true, then there would be no time for help to come either way. We don't have the strength to hold back an invasion! What must we do?"

"We uphold the oath." Marcellus' stern expression countered Felix's faltering composure. "We stand, we fight, we give our lives until there is no more life to give."

Marcellus placed a hoof on Felix's shoulder, his stern face melting into a reassuring smile.

"Have courage, my friend. Even if we don't make it, I will consider it a great honor to have you by my side."

Felix smiled back and returned the gesture.

"And I yours."