• Published 18th Aug 2012
  • 3,474 Views, 33 Comments

Of Love and Loyalty - Brian Jacko



Life lessons learned for Rainbow Dash

  • ...
14
 33
 3,474

A Special Letter

Zoom, zip, swoosh. A blur of rainbow raced across Ponyville.

Rainbow Dash flew across the skies practicing her signature moves. She was so experienced in flying, that she could practically pull off sonic rainbooms in her sleep. Life was good. No, life was not just good, it was fantastic for her. She had the job of her dreams, clearing out the skies of Ponyville, and she was in the best shape of her life. She had been practicing all day and night, only taking little breaks for a quick nap or a snack.

Darkness began to settle in and she was getting awfully sleepy. "Well it's time I go hit the hay," she said with a smirk. She flew back home and was soon nestled in her comfy bed of clouds. She drifted off to sleep peacefully and quickly.


The next morning she was awakened by the sun shining directly in her face. That was odd.

Her room was patched up with clouds so that the sun wouldn't wake her.

She looked up and saw a big hole in her roof. She then looked around her room and noticed that there were papers scattered all across her floor. She also realized that her bed was covered in muffins! To her surprise, there was also something moving under her blanket that was all tangled up. "Whose there? What do you want?" Rainbow Dash cried out as she jumped out of her bed.

Whatever was under there, finally managed to break free out of the tangled web of bed sheets.

Out popped Derpy Hooves with a big clumsy smile on her face. "Oops, my bad!" yelled the cross-eyed pegasus with the blanket still on her head. "Would you like a muffin?"

Rainbow Dash put her hoof to her forehead and fell backwards to the floor. "Derpy, how many times did I tell you to simply leave the mail at the front door of the house and not crash through the roof? This is the third time I've had to patch up my house this week!"

Derpy looked around the bed, slightly confused and said, "I just don't know what went wrong!" She then noticed the muffins scattered all over the bed. "Oh wow! Where did those muffins come from?" Derpy asked in excitement.

Before Rainbow Dash could state that they obviously fell out of her bag when she crashed through her roof, Derpy went wild, eating all the muffins on her bed.

"Derpy stop!" cried Rainbow Dash. "You're going to get crumbs all over my bed!"

Derpy stopped munching on a muffin and looked sad. "I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash. Would you like a muffin?"

Rainbow Dash put both her hooves to her head and said, "You already asked me that. Now would you please just give me my mail so that I can fix my house and clean up this mess of crumbs you left in my bed?"

Derpy looked at her with confusion. Several seconds later, Derpy perked up with excitement. "Oh that's right!" Exclaimed the cross-eyed mare. I have a special letter for you!" Derpy reached into her mailbag and gave Rainbow Dash the letter. Derpy picked up all of the other fallen letters from the ground and put them back in her mailbag. She looked over at Rainbow Dash and said "Bye bye Rainbow Dash! Have a good day!" Derpy began to lift her wings for takeoff.

Rainbow Dash hollered out, "Next time please use the front door for the mail!"

That sentence didn't quite register with Derpy. Derpy just smiled at the blue mare with her tongue half-way sticking out of the side her mouth. As she flew upwards, she called back down to Rainbow Dash. "I know, I love muffins too!" Derpy then crashed through the other side of the roof, leaving another hole for Rainbow Dash to patch up.

"UNGH!" Rainbow Dash moaned. "Will that pegasus ever learn?" Rainbow Dash had almost forgotten that the cross-eyed mare gave her a letter. She walked over to her desk and opened the letter. She froze in fear, as she realized that the letter had the Wonderbolts symbol on it. She squealed in delight. "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! It's a letter from the Wonderbolts!" Her eyes moved from left to right as she read what the letter said.

Dear Rainbow Dash, We have heard many stories across Equestria about your flight skills and we welcome you to try out for the Wonderbolts this upcoming Saturday at six O' clock in the evening. Please meet us at Sweet Apple Acres. Yours Truly, The Wonderbolts

Rainbow Dash almost fainted. This had been her dream all her life! A chance to fly with the best fliers in Equestria! "But wait, why meet at Sweet Apple Acres?" She wondered to herself. "Oh well, that question will just have to wait until tomorrow. Right now I've got to get some practicing in!"

Author's Note:

Much of this story is based off of my own personal life experience.