• Published 18th Aug 2012
  • 3,473 Views, 33 Comments

Of Love and Loyalty - Brian Jacko



Life lessons learned for Rainbow Dash

  • ...
14
 33
 3,473

The Test

The next day had come and Rainbow Dash was as anxious as anything. She showed up at Sweet Apple Acres three hours earlier than the scheduled time. She paced back and forth across the farm. She was so nervous. "What if they don't like me? What if I screw up or they find some pony better than me?" Rainbow Dash's heart raced as these thoughts kept entering her mind.

Suddenly, a voice from behind her startled her. "What the hay are you doin' out here this early R.D?" It was Applejack.

Rainbow Dash ran over to her and put both her hooves on her shoulders. She took a deep breath in and started talking faster than Pinkie Pie on a sugar surge. "OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH, APPLEJACK! You see, today’s a special day, and I’m so nervous! The Wonderbolts are going to test me and I might do well, but I might also screw up and I just don't know how well I'm going to do around them. I'm so anxious and nervous that I..."

Applejack put her hoof to Rainbow Dash's mouth. She chuckled and said "Oh R.D., I know you're goin' to shine on this test. I have faith that my good friend here, is the most talented and athletic pegasus in all of Ponyville. Heck, I reckon that ya might be the best in all of Equestria! Oh, and hey Rainbow Dash, I got a lil' surprise for ya."

Applejack stepped back, and behind her, emerged the entire Wonderbolts team from behind a nearby tree.

Rainbow Dash nearly fell over. She regained her balance and asked "Wait, how did you know about this Applejack?"

Applejack smiled and said, "The Wonderbolts told me that they wanted to see ya here and that the rest of Equestria was scheduled for a down pour today, except for here of course. Ya see, the last time Derpy tried to help with the weather, she over watered my crops, so today my farm doesn’t need any more rain. The skies will be mostly clear here so ya can practice your moves with the Wonderbolts. I said it was okay for the Wonderbolts to hang around my farm for the day. Granny Smith is already bakin' some pies for every pony."

Rainbow Dash still couldn't believe she was standing in the presence of the great Wonderbolts.

One of the Wonderbolts stepped forward and stuck out her hoof to shake. She smiled and said "Hi there. I'm Spitfire. I believe we have met a few times in the past."

Rainbow Dash shook her hoof, remembering that in the past, she saved her life at the best young fliers competition and replied, "why yes, we certainly have met a few times haven’t we?"

Applejack looked around for a bit and chimed in, "Well, if ya'll excuse me, I got some apple buck'n to do. Best wishes to ya, R.D. I know that ya have what it takes, sugar cube." She winked at Rainbow Dash and went off to do her daily job.

Spitfire blinked a few times while looking at Rainbow Dash. "How about we get started, Rainbow Dash?" she asked.

Rainbow Dash instantly perked up. "Huh, what? Oh yea! I'm ready! Let's do this!"

Rainbow Dash flew with the Wonderbolts all day. They practiced tricks and turns that no other normal pegasus could do. For the grand finale, she finished off with her best sonic rainboom yet.

The Wonderbolts were amazed. "Gosh, I never would have guessed that she was THIS good at flying. "Soarin' said with a smile.

"Yeah, I didn't realize what a hot tail she has too." Rapidfire replied with a lustful look in his eyes.

Spitfire shot back at him, "Oh cut it out Rapidfire! You got to stop chasing after all those mares! Don't you have enough girlfriends at the moment?"

"Meh." replied Rapidfire.

Rainbow Dash swooped down in front of them with a nervous look on her face. "So how did I do?" She asked.

"Well, we're going to talk it over with the rest of the team and we'll let you know in a few days if you made the team or not. Now, how about we all get some of that good pie that Granny Smith made for us," suggested Spitfire.

After they all had some pie, it was time for the Wonderbolts to leave. They had a busy schedule ahead of them and they needed the time to rest for tomorrow.

Rainbow Dash just paced around the farm looking for Applejack. Eventually, she found her bucking some apples. "Applejack!" Cried Rainbow Dash.

"Hey there sugar cube! How did ya do on yer test?" Applejack replied.

"I don't know." Rainbow Dash said with a rather glum look on her face. "I think I did okay, but they said they had to talk it over. They'll let me know in a few days if I’m accepted or not on the team. Oh, how I hate waiting! I wish they could have just made up their minds right there for me."

"Try not to fret, hun," Applejack said as she reached into a barrel and picked up an apple. She nuzzled it towards Rainbow Dash and smiled. "Ya look really tired. I bet ya must still be hungry. Why don't ya have a few apples and then go get some shut eye?"

Rainbow Dash simply nodded and thanked Applejack. She gave her a hug and then spread her wings and flew off into the night.