• Published 30th Aug 2020
  • 1,362 Views, 131 Comments

Twilight Daylight: The Cold War - thedarktome



King Shimmering Madun and Princess Fresh Veola Dawn were assassinated. But the legendary Queen Arcadia lives. A huge mistake.

  • ...
4
 131
 1,362

Chapter 15 - Intermission 1

Apple Bloom swore she wouldn't cry. She promised herself in her bedroom facing the mirror that she was going to be strong this morning. And that nothing was going to make her cry. She was an Apple. And Apples were strong.

But when she saw Scootaloo in her camouflage Equestrian Fatigue flying down into Ponyville's square next to Rainbow Dash she burst into tears.

Today was the day when all of Equestria's military were mobilizing away from home to their assigned locations. All teams, squads, and divisions were on the move. The morning was cold. The cobbled ground under the mass of trampling hooves vibrated with each step the crowd took.

Ponies setup Equestrian flags outside of their windows to flail in the winter wind over the gathering of other combatants saying their farewells to their families and friends. Chariots from across the country were lined up and tagged with their Squad's designation.

When Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash landed in the square from the Cloudominium to join the rest of the fray, Apple Bloom ran up to her fellow Cutie Mark Crusader to yank into a tearful embrace with Sweetie Belle. She buried her face in her flight jacket surging with emotions.

"You can't go!" Bloom cried. "You can't go to Las Pegasus, you can't!"

It was no secret that if any place was going to be hit first, it was definitely going to be Las Pegasus. They were right in Psera's path. And Scootaloo's squad was placed directly in the middle of it.

Scootaloo gave her helmet to Rainbow Dash to hold and held her two crying friends as close to her body as she could. "Sorry, girls," she whispered. "But I have to do this."

Sweetie pulled away and wiped her face. "Well we're still going to miss you when you're gone."

Scootaloo playfully hip bumped Sweetie as gently as a pillow. "I'm coming back, you know," she said. "Because I have my secret weapon with me."

"And what's that?"

Scootaloo opened her wing and let a black scooter fall to the ground. Brand new with a matte finish. Chrome handles and spinning black wheels. She winked at Sweetie and joked, "They're not getting rid of me that easily."

Apple Bloom, Sweetie and Scootaloo shared another hug before she moved for the ponies behind them. Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Applejack.

The second she was near they pulled her into a group hug so tight she was sure she would melt into one of their coats.

"Careful how you go, darling."

"Don't be reckless, ya' hear?"

"Keep your energy up with something sweet each day."

"....meep."

After Fluttershy's quiet yet heartfelt line, they let her go. All except one. Rainbow placed both her hooves on Scootaloo's cheeks and stared deep into the eyes that mirrored her own. "I'll be seeing you again soon, Squirt," she said. Then leaned in and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. "You better come back home."

Scootaloo grinned and hugged Rainbow one last time. Her face buried into her neck and breathed in her scent of sadness and grief. "I will," she promised. "You better come home too."

"I'll have some food ready for you."

If Rarity had a camera with her, she certainly would've taken at most twenty photos of this priceless moment. Her hoof was fanning at her face to dry the tears pouring down her cheeks and ruining her makeup.

"Corporal." Scootaloo separated from Rainbow and looked back towards the Square. All the soldiers and combatants were jumping into their chariots with their teams.

The one who called her rank were what they called "The runt of the litter." First Private Majority Green. She was nineteen, but she looked to be fifteen. A small Pegasus mare with a green coat, silver mane and tail complete with dark green jealous eyes. Majority was their tech and communications specialist. She had a knack for engineering and could build a complex trap within a minute using what she had around her.

Majority Green saluted and reported, "They're ordering us to move out, ma'am."

Scootaloo nodded to her and replied, "Thank you, Private. Kick the Unit into gear for me will you?"

She nodded then jetted back to one of the emptier chariots. "Mixed! Red! Watts! Corporal wants you in here!"

Scootaloo turned back to Rainbow and plopped her helmet on when it was offered to her. "Well that's my ride."

Rainbow Dash sadly laughed and tapped her helmet. "Keep this on."

"And you better wear a helmet."

Rainbow Dash nodded and promised, "I will. Now get going. I don't want you running twenty miles because of me."

Scootaloo definitely didn't want to do that. Again. She turned around and trotted over to her board to sweep into her wing. After a quick final hug to her two best friends, she ran over to the second to last chariot being hooked up to Private Red Mass and Tough Watts.

Majority Green was already inside of it looking over their briefing. When Scootaloo plopped down next to her she hoofed the document over and said, "We're being placed in T3. The sand dunes behind the beach."

Scootaloo flipped the brief and reviewed their mission. For now it was to setup a secure post with weaponry, medical supplies and beacons. She set it down and sighed with a foreboding sense of fear. "Well let's get moving. How's your family?"

"They're okay. They're way over in The Crystal Empire, you know. They moved for safety."

"Alright, listen up and listen closely because I'm not telling you again!!" All eyes and attention snapped towards the Staff Sergeant walking down the chariots where they were placed. "We're riding into Las Pegasus! The world's first line of Defense! There are Dragons! There are Hippogriffs! There are Alicorns! Then there is you! When we get there you hop out and you set up! I don't want to see any ponies off their hooves until all structures are ready! Am I clear?!!"

The Platoon saluted and shouted, "Yes, sir!!"

The Staff Sergeant huffed out of his nose and pranced over to the first chariot. "Then let's move out!!" The second he was inside, the chariot pulled off west towards The White Tail Woods, beginning the parade into war.

Ponies on the side cheered while the soldiers waved from their seats. Riding into the war with their wits, weapons, and strength. Only a few of them would return, everypony knew it. The Pserateps were a strong force, and IHT were still exercising their strength. Rumor has it though they're growing each day.

Scootaloo turned around in her seat and locked eyes on Rainbow Dash when they started moving. They shared a salute. A final farewell. But they made a promise to return back to each other once more.

No one broke eye contact with anyone until they were completely out of sight deep in the whistling woods. And even then, they could still feel their eyes bearing deep into their souls.


Fresh Dawn had a thought. An important thought. Not as important as getting out of here of course, but still something worth mentioning while they had the time.

When Fresh Dawn, Lucky and Night Life crawled out from inside of a thick rain forest next to a beautiful waterfall, she asked, "So... Where am I sleeping tonight? I am not sleeping in there with Heated Wings."

Night Life peeked over the edge of the cliff they were standing on and swallowed hard. That was a deep drop. They all could fly, but it was still something to just look at. He straightened up and turned to Dawn. "You can sleep at my place. I have two rooms and two beds. The more the merrier. Do you sense anything?"

"Not yet. But things do feel a lot colder magic-wise in this region. There's absolutely nothing here. So deserted I can feel the difference. That..." She looked over her back past her sleeping pets into the rain forest. "Is where everything is. I just wished we can find something. But it won't be done in a day. We should start heading back."

Lucky suddenly fell from the trees below and landed face first into the soil with a loud thud. "Ow! What?!" She pulled her snout from the earth and brushed off soil and grass. "Head back? Let's take a dip first, come on!"

Fresh Dawn looked peeked over the edge and followed the falling of water all the way down to the body below it. "I don't know, Lucky."

First Light took over in a flash and argued excitedly, "I'm totally on board!"

Ugh, every time! Fresh Dawn yanked her back down and shook her head. "No way, it's too far down there. If we hit that surface we'll break every last single bone in our bodies. Well ... Magic bones. Let's just head back."

Dawn turned around and quickly bounded back into the forest before they could stop her. Honestly, swimming in a pool sounded really good right now. Dawn could take a moment to relax but getting out of here sounded a lot more important than dropping hundreds of feet into the biggest pool she's ever seen. Nope. No way.

A second later, Dawn zipped past them and sprinted off the waterfall's ledge exclaiming on the way down, "You made me do this!!"

Puh, yeah right. Night Life shared a knowing smirk with Lucky filled with mischief. Then cheered and dives off the ledge behind her to the blue shimmering lake below. How hard could it actually be to let loose for awhile?


Canterlot was not like this when they were imprisoned. Sun Waves has never seen a castle so big before. Modern buildings with cobbled streets, light poles on actual poles powered by magic, libraries with thousands of books, just so much!

And the castle. Oh the castle brought glee to Sun Waves and Tritanium's hardened heart. Tall and magnificent at the tallest peak in the country. Such green grass protected by a wrought iron fence on Canterlot's bigger roads. Restaurants lined in front of it alongside popular stores! Truly magnificent.

Sky Duster on the other hoof was more or less unimpressed, and remained that way until they were walking into the Castle's halls.

"Pretty city, Celestia," she commented from above. Her wings floated over the important ponies traveling for business. "All you need now is a husband and you got it made."

Flurry rolled her eyes at her character but Celestia and Luna remained steadfast. Luna replied, "It has taken years for Equestria to get to where it is. Twice. We'd rather it not be destroyed. Again."

Tritanium glanced down from behind Cadance. "Again?" He repeated in a deep voice.

Their trajectory lead them through the halls towards the throne room. Where the stained glass beared images of the Princesses, legends, powerful ponies and Element Bearers. Only then did Celestia speak. She stopped at the glass of the Element Bearers and stared a hole into the pony in the middle.

Sun Waves knew those relics. She joined Celestia, Luna, Cadance and Flurry Heart's side. "The Elements of Harmony," she whispered.

Celestia confirmed her suspicion with a firm nod. "Yes. Nopony commands them. We have taken the Elements of Harmony and put them under thick locks and keys in an undisclosed location. After learning that one of the ponies has the power to command her Element at will."

A golden ring outlined the face of Twilight. She was young and an Alicorn. "This is Equestria's current greatest threat. Queen Twilight 'Arcadia Nova' Sparkle, Saviour of Psera, formerly known as Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship here in Equestria."

"She is family," Cadance added. "She's my sister-in-law and Flurry's aunt. Her brother is my husband and her father."

Sky Duster rotated back to face the glass with a foreboding feeling of dread. Sky may appear young, but she's seen a majority of powerful ponies. They've mostly been the tip of the iceberg. She's getting a twitch in her wing that this Twilight may be the entire iceberg.

"So she's our bad guy," she said. "What's her itch?"

Luna boldly answered, "Grief, anger, frustration, and revenge. Queen Arcadia's family and over two hundred Pserateps were slaughtered in an unprovoked terrorist attack by the Zebras. It was later confirmed that this specific company of Zebra were part of an underground cult who pledged their lives to an entity the Pserateps worshipped named Narmeelah, the creator of Equus and First Queen of Psera. The nation of Zebrica declared no responsibility to the attack, but Queen Arcadia was not going to let this slide. Zebras attacked them..."

Luna glanced back at them with the darkness of Nightmare Moon. "So she struck back."

Celestia teleported a folder from a remote location in front of all of them and opened it up to display the contents. "On Hearth's Warming Day, estimated to be midnight, weapons that Psera developed were launched from their country and made landfall on Zebrica later that morning."

Sun Waves took hold of the folder in her own magic and shared the folder with Tritanium and Sky Duster when she landed. "What happened?" Sun Waves asked. She had a cold feeling she wasn't going to like the answer.

"Our nature experts decreed that Zebrica won't be habitable for at least a century. Multiple ponies lost their lives and are still dying due to disease and illnesses. But there are still a few hundred more survivors. However Queen Arcadia knows. And she wants them in Pseratopian custody to punish as they see fit."

Tritanium snapped the folder shut and sighed. "Equestria said no."

Sky Duster rolled her eyes and mumbled spitefully, "Figures."

Okay, Flurry's had enough. She faced Sky Duster and jabbed a hoof into her chest, demanding her attention. "IHT exists to mediate and resolve issues without physical assaults. Only 'til our last straw is broken do we fight back. We wish to make a bright and peaceful future with the Pserateps with a possible alliance, not a bloody one."

Sky Duster slapped Flurry's hoof away and pointed a threat at her face. "Okay, one? Never do that again, and two? What the buck is an 'IHT'?"

Celestia answered, "The International House of Trade. Created by Princess Twilight when she was still here."

Sky Duster slapped a hoof over her face upon learning this unbelievable news. Sun Waves was no better. "Wait, so our enemy is the exact same pony who created Equestria's defense?"

Celestia sighed and faced the glass again. "Unfortunately, yes."

Tritamium stepped closer to the glass and asked, "Would it not benefit you more to go on the offense—?"

"No!" All the Princesses shouted at him. He raised an eyebrow while Cadance took this question in a panic.

"Not only would that tactic be fruitless, but it would also lead us straight to unimaginable losses. Despite IHT acquiring the assistance of the Dragons, Alicorns, both Neightons and the rest of the countries, Psera's military and weaponry is still the known greatest in the entire world with the strongest Alicorn-Pseratep in existence at the helm of it all."

"Not to mention..." They turned their attention down the hall to Shining Armor and the rest of IHT's captains. "Psera rules the western seas off the Coast of Las Pegasus. If we venture into those waters, we will perish within fifty miles at a wave of a hoof, claw, or talon. Psera's massive fleet alone is a crime against reality. Their weaponry is a threat to imagination."

Celestia smiled and introduced him. "This is Shining Armor, General of IHT's Unicorn Force Guard and brother to Queen Arcadia."

Another hoof to the face by Sky Duster and a mumbling of this being the worst family fight Sun Waves has ever witnessed. Luna ignored them both and stated, "We cannot travel to Psera, it is out of the question. We visited one time and we suspected a weapons test was commenced that wiped out our magic. We had nothing for hours."

Great. This Psera sounded extremely wealthy in... Practically everything. Sun Waves asked for a list of what Psera had. "Okay, wait, how big is Psera?"

"One city in Psera is factually as big as Manehattan, Ponyville, Canterlot and Las Pegasus combined. There are seventeen cities stretching for miles. So big they refer to them as City-States. Their castle is called the Castle of the Gods."

"Populace?"

"Between twenty million."

"Military?"

"Psera's a military country."

"I'm afraid to ask but... Weaponry specifics?"

Cadance answered, "They have a single Aquata nicknamed 'The Front Lawn' as tall as this castle we're in. They launched projectile weapons from overseas and managed to turn an entire country to ash. And... They have a living pony made of fire who can turn into a giant bird."

Sky Duster groaned and assumed, "So Psera is the golden plate on the table with all the fancy food, and everyone else are the ants working to eat at the bottom."

"Well... Yes."

Sky Duster flew up to Celestia's face and said, "I'm sorry Princesses, but this seems like a battle already lost. I'm intimidated and I've never even heard of a Pseratep. This Queen of theirs sounds like the real deal."

Tritanium however was not intimidated. He huffed and crossed his arms. "How do you plan to defend yourself?"

Celestia led the group back down the hall towards the throne room and proudly explained, "We have a most terrific asset who has been helping us setup our defenses these past few days. She has insider knowledge of Psera and has been supplying us with Psera's weaknesses that we can exploit."

Celestia threw the doors open to the throne room to see Mimi and Novo talking in front of the thrones. Hushed whispers so no one else could hear them.

Celestia cleared her throat and ceased the conversation with a firm eyebrow raised. Whatever they were talking about, it clearly wasn't good news.

When Novo spotted her she pointed down to Mimi and explained, "We have been informed of rather troubling intel regarding our coastal defense."

Looks like things turned up. The group trotted or flew over to this long winged pegasus when she unfolded a map and passed it to Celestia.

"According to my theories and knowledge of my Queen," Mimi explained. "There is a chance she will be using a front on Las Pegasus as a distraction while using another city as a way to get into Equestria."

Luna took the map and examined it. Multiple locations were circled labeled "weaknesses." Quite the way to point it out in her opinion, but the Pseratep knew what she was doing. She hoped.

Luna asked, "What cities?"

"Neither of them are concrete, but Manehattan or the Crystal Empire are both possible targets. Psera has been developing new Aquatas called UAs or Underwater Aquatas. At first it was to go on expeditions and explore the world underneath our hooves for hours on end. During that time, they were experimenting with other variants for military gain."

"And now?"

"The UA's concept was first introduced half a decade ago. When our King and Princess were still alive. Did they finish, I'm not sure. But the developmental location, Queen Arcadia is personally in charge of the entire facility. And when she's in charge..."

Flurry assumed, "The UAs might not only be done, but even improved beyond expectations just for the war."

"Precisely. The risk of Psera utilizing them for the first attack is fifty-fifty. However, there are more risks we are taking here. You have weaknesses in the following cities, from South to North: San Palomino Desert, the Undiscovered West, Vanhoover, Luna Bay, and Tall Tale. What I'm most concerned with are all the coastal cities."

Celestia walked past her for the Guarded thrones. "Why exactly are they concerning?"

Mimi cleared her throat and locked eyes with the rest of the group. "According to your geographical surveys, Luna Bay is a nesting spot for cruises, supplies, and shipments from different Equestrian Coastal Cities like Vanhoover and Las Pegasus. Even small businesses who don't want to get their packages moving by train. Designers who fish at sea for pearls. Anything like that. And try as you wish, protecting the Coastal Cities will prove to be utterly impossible."

Sun Waves crossed her hooves and glared at her. "Once again, why is that?"

Who were they? Mimi glanced to Celestia for information. So she introduced them to one another. "These are the creatures of Tartarus as requested, Mimi. Ponies? This is Mimi. She's our expert in Pseratep relations. Registered citizen of Psera. Without her, you wouldn't be here."

Sky Dancer floated down to ask her a question but Mimi beat her to it. "Yes, Psera's Queen is extremely powerful. Yes, Equestria barely stands any chance against her or her military. No, I am not a spy. And you would do well as to be quiet and listen. No more questions please."

Mimi focused back on the Princesses in the room. "When Psera's Navy reaches those ports, they will take control of not only them, but as well as transportation back and forth to different cities for all ponies. For instance. If they reach Luna Bay they will gain control of the rail system going in and out the Crystal Empire." She faced a steel gaze to Cadance and Shining Armor. "They even have an opportunity to invade the Crystal Empire and use your resources against you. And don't even get me started on Baltimare. You're really lucky Equestria isn't a ring of islands or else you all wouldn't even stand a chance, even with me on your side. Psera's secondary strength is the water."

"Do you believe Twilight will take advantage of the ports?" Shining Armor asked worriedly. If Twilight managed to land her soldiers in between cities then hiding the Zebras would be so much more difficult.

But Mimi shook her head and answered, "I personally believe Queen Arcadia would not. Knowing her personality, she is a fair Queen and is still offering you chances to hoof over the Zebras' freedom peacefully. So she will more than likely just go straight for Las Pegasus. However, if you do in some way manage to pull her last cord, then she will be ruthless. And that's what I'm worried about. Equestria could very well be housing Psera spies right now."

Shining quickly reported, "Our soldiers are currently on the lookout for anything strange in all the cities."

"That's excellent. But while we're trying to protect ourselves from Queen Arcadia's coming wrath, there's no way to tell how she will attack or when. Queen Arcadia has the power to spy on us from overseas without moving from her office chair while we remain blind and nervous. There's no telling what's coming. We just have to be prepared for anything."

The Princesses shared worried looks and glances. It was as if that horde of magic in the air were crawling over their coats as they spoke. Tracking every single nerve in their bodies. The way Queen Arcadia moves is a feat in itself. Her range of magic was unfathomable. And they knew how dangerous it was.

But three present creatures didn't. Sun Waves snorted and laughed hard. The funniest thing she's heard ever since she was locked up in Tartarus. If she wanted to she would be rolling on the floor banging her hoof. Even Sky Duster was a little amused. The others however weren't.

Sky crossed her hooves and repeated, "How exactly can she spy on you from that distance?"

Tritanium chortled and admitted, "Yes, I believe you ponies are becoming a little paranoid now."

But Luna smoldered and spat, "She has done it before. Plenty of times. And could possibly be spying on us right now. Very recently, she attacked both Cadance and Shining Armor in their own castle. And no guards knew about it. She choked me at an IHT meeting through magic from the safety of her office back on Psera. Queen Arcadia's magical strength is no joke."

Celestia rose from her throne and trotted down to them. "I know all of this seems impossible. But we guarantee you that all of what we speak is true. Psera's might and power is unmatched by anypony or any nation. In a few days, an envoy appointed by Queen Arcadia herself will arrive to discuss our response to their demands. When we say no, they're going to officially declare war against IHT as a whole, not just Equestria. Then you'll be able to see how serious this truly is."

Author's Note:

Things are already pretty serious. But not as much as they will be.