• Published 30th Aug 2020
  • 1,362 Views, 131 Comments

Twilight Daylight: The Cold War - thedarktome



King Shimmering Madun and Princess Fresh Veola Dawn were assassinated. But the legendary Queen Arcadia lives. A huge mistake.

  • ...
4
 131
 1,362

Chapter 23 - Change

Getting a treaty signed required the Steps of Process in Psera's name. First, all parties must vote to even have the plan written out and ready for signatures, or even authorized to exist in the first place. The idea may have been there, but not everyone would be on board to materialize it.

But getting Psera to agree to Queen Arcadia's treaty didn't take too long. For out of all their international relations, Equestria was their most promising one. Queen Arcadia and other lawmakers have already expressed their concerns that even attacking the Land of Magic, that even raiding their land for any possible Zebra strongholds, would be a dealbreaker for any future relationships. The same went for the rest of IHT.

The vote was unanimous to have the treaty written and investigated. Within a week, it was ready to be signed by all members of IHT and The Queen of Psera.

Meanwhile, in the great and magical land of Equestria their greatest problem persisted. Finding land for Psera to be pleased with. Of course there were a few outlying locations that they were registering for consideration today, but then there was still the problems of Psera actually agreeing to the land. There was no telling what Queen Arcadia would want.

But in the event that the treaty doesn't pass and they do end up going to war, the Elements of Harmony were hoofed over to Sunset Shimmer and her team, and carefully transported back to the old Friendship Castle by train and carriage. But only during the night. The Pserateps didn't need to know that they were preparing a shield that they could plan ahead of. Their Queen was certainly suspicious of any movement from the castle to the old one.

The discussion of where to find lands brought them well into the darkness of nights. For the third day, it was discussed up to eight, and ponies grew weary of the same conversation. The lack of land had shifted over to the transfer of land ownership. Thus, Flurry had retired to her room, leaving the rest of the delegates to their discussion for some well deserved rest. After all of this discussing and spending some time away from her friends in favor of the country, the least she could do is give herself some time to get used to everything. She was thrown into this war, not the other way around. If she had her way, she'd let her family members hash this out on their own, and she'd watch from the comfort of the bed she was currently lying in.

Before returning back to the Trade Room, Aunt Celestia's sun was lowered and Aunt Luna's moon was raised, basking Flurry Heart in a cool glow of love and affection. But she didn't feel or acknowledge it. As a matter of fact, she was feeling quite the opposite. War wasn't about love, it was about hate. Psera hated the Zebras and massacred them. Equestria didn't like that so much and investigated. Equestria was then blamed for harboring more—which they were—and weren't willing to hoof them over to Psera, even under threats from Psera's Chief Government Official, their very own Queen Twilight "Arcadia Nova" Sparkle.

She's changed, they could all see it. Twilight was a lot more serious about her family and her leadership over her country. As Queen it was expected of her, but even Princess Merry could see that she was a totally different pony than from when she first set hoof on their soil. The mare that assisted all creatures slowly narrowed her focus down to her family and her country.

And now that her family was gone...

Flurry didn't want to think about it. She tossed over in her bed and faced her window. Her aunt, more specifically Celestia, decided to spell her windows to keep her safe from any harm that Psera may impose upon The Crystal Empire. Just to be safe. One couldn't mistake that glimmer of magic screening over the glass pane keeping her warm from the frigid temperatures of the Crystal Empire. Soon, her eyes grew heavy with the weight of fatigue before her body gave in, plunging her deep into the realm filled with dreams. Although, this was an odd contrast to what she usually experiences.

She was not in her bedroom this time replaying in her dreams what she's already experienced. This was an entirely different field, in both the metaphorical and literal sense. She stood upon a hill overlooking a land of untapped potential riddled with mountains both big and small, rocky or topped with snow and grass. They were countless, pressureless of height and distance, so beautiful she almost lost her breath.

Flurry reached out a hoof to touch this painting of beauty, a mere mockery of life. So close to peace...

"Flurry!" Flurry gasped and withdrew her hoof. She followed the ghostly voice to behind her, but confusion overtook surprise when she came to meet nothing. Just more mountains and rocky hills. What was that? It was the voice of a mare from a forgotten past. Actually, it sounded like...

"Flurry!" Flurry whipped back around and came face to face with a ghost. Or what she assumed to be the ghost of her cousin, Fresh Dawn. Her violet coat was flawless, but her red mane was plastered with sweat and sticking to the base of her horn.

"Dawn?" Flurry asked. This pony didn't seem to be at peace. Her body was there, but was clearly transparent. She could see through her, just enough to recognize the mountains on the otherside. Flurry shot her hoof out and attempted to poke Dawn in the forehead, directly underneath her horn. Her hoof passed right through.

"Are you... A ghost?"

"Flurry, I don't have a lot of time. I need you to listen to me closely. I'm sure Psera is about to go to war or something, so I need you to tell mom and dad I'm fine, okay? I'm not dead, I'm trapped—"

"Trapped?!" Flurry attempted to grab her hoof but it passed through. "Wh-Where are you?"

"There's no time to explain, I'm struggling to even hold past this barrier! We're all trapped in time and space, and that we could use mom's help to get out! The way out is too small and the magic is too weak. I don't have a lot of time to get out. If you see mom, tell her that she was right. Tell her that we're all being manipulated and—ah!" Dawn's form slightly dipped from visibility before she resurfaced. But Flurry could tell that she was barely holding on. She had to make this quick.

"What else, Dawn?"

"Tell mom that Queen Narmeelah isn't coming back! Tell her she's already here!! Hurry!!"

Before Flurry could inquire further, Dawn faded from existence, leaving Flurry alone once more in her dream. But this time, she was sure that was real. That Dawn wasn't actually dead. That was way too livid and everything was way too specific. But there was only one way to confirm.

Flurry's eyes shot open and trained on the moon, as if time never passed. Despite being on the brink of collapse thanks to today's session, she was once more invigorated with energy. If all of that was real, and it all sounded very real, then...

Flurry threw the covers off her body and shot out of the bed. She ran for the door, threw it open, and rushed through the hall. She passed the stoic guards watching oddly from the side shouting, "Mom! Dad!"

Were they still in their meeting? What time was it?! She rushed to the Trade Room. Alicorn Guards and others stood near, implying they were. She was firmly recognized and they allowed her to pass. With a push of magic, the doors were thrown open with a bang. Whatever they were discussing was obliterated and all attention was thrown onto Flurry.

"Flurry?" Shining asked. "I thought you were going to bed."

"I did. Then somethhing important came up." Flurry didn't focus on them. She knew who she wanted to see. Her eyes shifted down the line until they settled on the one pony she needed verification from. "Princess Luna, can I speak to you?"

Luna? All eyes moved to her. She pointed a hoof at herself. "Me? Can it not wait?"

"No. It's about dreams, and about how Fresh Dawn was able to contact me through mine."

Fresh Dawn? Dreams? It was pretty common knowledge among IHT that the late Princess Dawn had a hoof in the dream realm during Maheera Dark vs. The World. She was the one who managed to learn that Maheera was on her way to Psera at the tender age of four, way before Psera's PDS Obelisk Line even detected her. But it was a rare ability. Dawn's flexibility in magic was already pretty miniscule in chance, for her to enter the dream realm had to be on accident.

Luna asked, "What did she say?"

Flurry walked into the room and shut the door, circling around the table for Luna's chair. "She was saying that she wasn't dead, but that she was trapped in time and space. And from what it sounded like, she wasn't alone."

"So Princess Fresh Dawn is alive?"

Small murmurs escaped the room of ponies before Princess Celestia raised her hoof. "Every creature, please settle." Once the room quieted she turned to Flurry. "Flurry. Dawn did have an ability to enter the dream realm, but it was very rare that she did so. Are you sure it wasn't just a dream, a nightmare?"

"I'm sure," she answered determinedly. "That was Dawn, the real deal. She sounded like she was in a panic."

Cadance inputted, "This sounds like Psera would know what this means."

"Dawn asked for mom specifically. But... She also said, 'Tell my parents that I'm alive.'"

"Her parents?" Jim Sun of Hoof Yun asked, "Why would she say that?"

"Exactly my point. According to Queen Arcadia, Dawn was technically kidnapped before the ceremony. She wasn't even near the castle during the explosion. Dawn doesn't know... That King Madun is dead."

"Yes," Queen Farue agreed. "But your mind is already intelligent, are you sure that this wasn't just a dream"

"I'm sure. It was way too surreal. Magic was involved, I could feel it."

"Then that leaves us with only one more form of verification." Celestia stood up and decreed, "We must, once more, inquire with Queen Arcadia Nova."

No one wanted to do that. They were so close to a deal, so close to peace, implanting Queen Arcadia with false hopes and a slap in the muzzle that her daughter may be alive was a death sentence.

"Can we not just ask Princess Merry Fire?" Madam Virtue Singe asked. "She is right down the hall."

Celestia shook her head. "No. It would not sound right coming from her. I'm sure she too would understand the risks upon delivering this question. We must ask Queen Arcadia directly. Remember, if this is true, then this could change the very projection of this Cold War. All in favor of direct connection with Queen Arcadia?"

A majority of hooves and claws rose into the air, including Flurry's very own. It was too late at night to be burdened with the thought of battle with Psera, let alone talking with them. At eleven, the Queen was most surely asleep. But yet, this seemed to be a game changer.

"All oppose?" A few hooves rose up but only a few who were unsure. They all knew this had to happen. "Very well. We will contact Queen Arcadia. Hopefully she will answer and focus will be turned over to something better." Celestia turned to Dawn. "But only you must tell her, Flurry. She will listen to you a lot more than she will us."

Flurry hurriedly nodded her head. "I will," she promised.

They had a plan. Now it was time to put it into action. Celestia took a deep breath and focused on the center of the room. As if Twilight was right there glaring into her eyes. "Twilight, I know you are listening," she said aloud. "We have a few questions that—"

"If you even think," she interrupted. Her voice made Celestia cringe. "That we are on casual speaking terms, then you would be greatly disappointed. The name is Queen Arcadia."

"This isn't casual business, Queen Arcadia. Our dear Princess Flurry Heart has a few questions for you."

Celestia could feel the change in the air at the mention of her name. She was sure the rest in the room with horns could as well. "Flurry?" Arcadia repeated.

"Yes. What she holds could possibly change the fate of this war. But we need to ask you personally."

Another drop of silence before, "Balcony, and only Flurry Heart."

Celestia focused on Flurry and relayed, "She'll only speak to you out on the balcony connecting the main upper halls. I'm sure you know the one."

Only to her? Flurry swallowed hard and calmly approached the door. But a pink wing shot out and stopped her. Cadance glared acid to Celestia. "As her mother, she's not going anywhere near Queen Twilight unless we're there with her."

"Mom—"

"Don't fight us on this," Shining Armor interrupted. If his sister thought she was going to have a meeting with their only daughter, then she was sadly mistaken. "She's not the same aunt you grew up around, Flurry. There's no telling how she'll react. We're coming too. Now, let's go."

Shining didn't give his girls any time to wait. He jumped out of his seat and walked around the table for the door. The rest of IHT watched them depart for a meeting with the Queen. For she bared an ear for what Flurry had to say.

During the walk through the halls, Shining Armor ordered, "If I tell you to go back to the Trade Room, you do it, do you understand me, Flurry?"

Flurry sighed but answered, "Yes, dad."

"Good. Same for you, Cadance. I know how to handle my sister." No word left her mouth. Flurry's protection came first before the both of them. If Flurry left, Cadance would leave a simple attack and follow directly behind her.

Soon, they arrived at the balcony, guarded by two Crystal Empire Pegasi. They saluted to Captain Shining Armor upon recognition.

"Leave us," he ordered. They lowered their hooves and marched out of sight without question. His word was law; what he said was followed to the letter without hesitation.

The cold of winter bit at the skin under their fur as they carefully traveled under the stars onto the balcony of the Canterlot Castle, home of The Pony Sisters. The silence was interrupted periodically by a the ever impending chirping of crickets, the birds of the night. Guards walked their patrols down below, bathing the building in a cool light from their magically-lit torches and lights.

Flurry and Cadance carefully walked out after him, scanning the air and listening to the sounds. The balcony was abandoned, which meant either they had the wrong balcony or Queen Arcadia hadn't arrived yet.

Cadance stood next to Shining with Flurry and whispered, "Where is she?"

"I'm not sure."

"I am certain I only requested Flurry." They all whipped around to face the voice of Queen Arcadia. She sat between them and the doorway, watching their every move from behind her long ethereal mane. Her gaze fiercely pierced into theirs. The Goddess of Magic.

Cadance stood tall next to Flurry and decreed, "After how you attacked us, I will not allow my daughter anywhere near you without our presence. I'm sure you would do the same were it the other way around."

Queen Arcadia smoldered at them. But said nothing in return. They were right and she knew it. Remissed she would be were she to deny it. So with a firm nod, her gaze shifted to Flurry.

"Good evening, my young niece. What did you have to tell me at this otherwise ungodly hour?"

Flurry wasn't so sure she wanted to tell her now. Queen Arcadia's eyes were practically glowing with an inferno behind them. One wrong word and it would engulf them all. She gulped loudly and asked, "Did Princess Dawn have a hoof in the dream world?"

The dream world? The realm of the night? Queen Arcadia straightened up and answered, "Well, it was rare, but my little Veola did have a special talent that allowed her to travel the land of dreams, as well as have her consciousness leave her body to travel the real world. While appearing to be sleeping, she would be awake at the same time. Why do you ask this question?"

"I had a dream tonight. Dawn was in it. But . . . It wasn't a normal dream. Dawn . . . It was very livid. I was in a mountain range, surrounded by flowers when Dawn appeared out of nowhere. But not entirely. It was like she was a ghost, a memory of what she was. But she was saying things."

Twilight sighed and asked, "What was she saying?"

"She told me to tell you and Madun that she wasn't dead. That she and others were trapped in time and space and that they needed help to get out."

Twilight sighed and walked past Flurry for the edge of the balcony. "It sounds to me like you had a strange dream Flurry. Dawn is gone, and she died in my hooves. She's not coming back. If she's trapped in time and space, then she's trapped in the Everlasting Sky. Now, if there is nothing else, I must report back to my room for some rest. I have a long day tomorrow."

But Flurry knew what she saw and what she heard. And definitely what she felt. Before Queen Arcadia could light her horn and once again disappear, she raised a hoof in her direction. "Wait! There was something else she wanted me to tell you."

Twilight disengaged her horn and waved her on. The faster she got it out, the quicker she could get to bed.

"She said . . . She said that you were right."

"About?"

"Uhh... N-Narmeelah. About her returning." A visible change rushed through Twilight. Her wings stiffened and her droopy eyes popped open.

She slowly rotated around and turned her curious gaze back to Flurry. "What do you know about that?" She hurriedly asked. "No creature is supposed to know about that."

Cadance glanced between them and stepped into the electricity sparking. "What is she talking about?" She asked Twilight.

"It was a theory I had. I only shared it with Princess Celestia many months ago and Dawn shortly after I returned. Did Princess Celestia tell you that, Flurry?"

"No," Flurry quickly answered. She took one step away from Queen Arcadia. "I swear, she didn't tell me a thing. Dawn told me."

Queen Arcadia quickly stepped through Cadance in a flash and was once more in front of her daughter. She was anxious. How could this be? How could this information have leaked? "What exactly did Dawn tell you?"

Visibly shaking, Flurry answered, "Sh-She said that you were right, but also wrong. Narmeelah isn't coming back. She said she's already here, and that all of this has been a manipulation. That we were all being manipulated by Narmeelah."

Narmeelah was already here? But how? How could that even be? What would be the point? Something wasn't adding up. If Dawn was truly alive . . . "Did she say anything else?"

Flurry shook her head. "She faded away and disappeared before she could. She said she needed your help to get out. The magic was too weak."

No words were spoke for a lengthy amount of time. Twilight's glare was thick with a collection of emotions. Distrust, anger, confusion, Flurry could see it all sketched upon her face before it solidified into that single unreadable glare..

Twilight rose back up, faced Cadance and said, "Just ensure that you have land for us and we can sign this treaty."

"Do you believe Flurry?" Cadance asked.

Arcadia said nothing. Instead, in a flash, she teleported away, leaving them again as if she were never there. The only true sign was the small swirling of dead leaves in her place.

Flurry sighed and shook her head. "It didn't work," she muttered.

"No," Shining denied. "It did. Just not in the way you were expecting. Your Aunt Twilight isn't going to end this war. But she'll probably stay up and research all night. It's a step in the right direction."

Flurry could only hope that's all she would do. Search for the truth for all of them. If that was Dawn, and she wasn't dead, then where did she go, and why?

Author's Note:

Here you go! A little late publishing, but it's here.