• Published 30th Aug 2020
  • 1,362 Views, 131 Comments

Twilight Daylight: The Cold War - thedarktome



King Shimmering Madun and Princess Fresh Veola Dawn were assassinated. But the legendary Queen Arcadia lives. A huge mistake.

  • ...
4
 131
 1,362

Chapter 14 - Equestria's Reinforcements

Another day, another job. The cold winter rain has passed and spread a dash of warmth over Psera this morning. The skies were blue, the atmosphere cold. A sign for Arcadia to put on that fluffy dark violet coat to match the long dress that covered her wings. A crown that glimmered in the sea of light around them. And The Second Sword of Arcadia attached to a belt.

She donned on a thin violet veil before she stepped outside of Safe Haven's doors with Gardeen. Her hooves clopped onto the stone path leading from the security of Safe Haven to the safety of her ride up ahead. Waiting for her.

The sound of the chirping birds reached her ears. The Comms from the Guards escorting her. The zips and silent pops of Pserateps far away breaching the sound of Psera.

Twilight closed her eyes and breathed in that scent of winter grass. A wonderful smell that reminded her of the garden in the castle walls. Madun's garden.

When she and Gardeen stopped in front of their parked chariot Arcadia asked, "Do you smell that?"

Gardeen limped herself out of her chair and replied, "Smell what?"

"The scent of a promising future."

"Someone's a little eager for that future." Eager was a moot term to put it.

Queen Arcadia used her magic to lift Gardeen over the door of the chariot before she herself could get in. The Guards could deal with her chair. "I'm not as eager as I am optimistic," she pointed out. "I just wish someponies wouldn't rain on my parade."

Someponies. It didn't take any genius from SERL to know who she was talking about. Once Gardeen was comfortable and Queen Arcadia was seated, their escort of three Chariots rolled out from the clearing of Safe Haven into the forestry that made up its ring of security. A concrete path in the woods outlined by Elite Guard leading up to a thick steel gate currently being pushed aside.

When the chariot picked up speed, Gardeen queried, "Are you sure you're ready to get back out here, Twilight?"

Twilight sighed and breathed out her wise words. "One is never truly ready to run into the wings of change. Only be prepared when change arrives. Am I ready? No. But am I expecting change? Always."

Gardeen didn't have to hear it from her mouth to know that it's true. Change was always abundant in Psera. Was Twilight ready? She was constantly caught by surprise. But she also knew what to do at the stomp of a hoof. She never let Psera down, she always had a plan.

Their chariot roared out of the gate back into Rayray with the force of a thousand cannons. Then angled up into Psera's skies. This would be the first time the public has seen the Queen outside of Rayray and Lavender. For Two months she has been under the protection and watchful eyes of the Elite Guard. Any exit from Safe Haven, Rayray, or Lavender unauthorized was strictly forbidden. Arcadia's security advisor was even a little hesitant to let her take the chariot out.

But the time for defense was now up. And business was once again back in session. Offense was now in play.

Gardeen scooted closer to Arcadia across the velvet seating and fell into her embrace during their aerial journey. "So what's the news on Merry?"

"She departs tomorrow for a trip overseas." Arcadia moved her gaze down onto her surrogate daughter. "This is the third attempt at attainment. If they still insist on withholding information, then I will be placing the reigns in the hold of Secretary Manny."

Gardeen sighed silently and turned her head back to the mountain range. If they say no this time, then the war officially begins. There would be no more games. No more plans of negotiation.

Arcadia used her hoof to turn her head to face her. "Do not worry, Gardeen. We will get them back for what they have done."

"I know, Twilight. I just... I'm tired of the losses."

"Fear not." Twilight tucked Gardeen underneath her wing like a mother protecting her foal. "We will lose no other citizen." It was obvious Gardeen didn't want to hear about the war any longer around her. So twilight smiled and queried, "Did you ask Pink yet?"

The faintest hint of a stutter let Twilight know she was successful in distracting. "I-I haven't gotten around to it," she admitted. "But I am working on a way."

"Are we planning a big reveal?" Twilight moved her nervous sights down to the Mountain Range of Cop. The border into no return. She could see the Castle of the Gods and all the exterior construction going on amidst the city's surrounding skyscrapers, magnificence and beauty of the city-state, and the technology. The Castle would be updated to match.

And only she would be walking along its halls. This time her family would not be among them. Maybe she'll request a single suite like how Molten has to rid of the obvious reminder.

Twilight turned her head back to Gardeen and the conversation they were having. She shrugged and answered, "Well it's not so much as a reveal as it is a question. I just want to know if she's ready like I am. If she's not, then we can wait."

That made sense. Light Pink was already nervous around others. According to her wife here, she was getting better everyday. But even Twilight knew there were some instances when Light Pink would have her fallback points of stumbling over her words.

"She will be ready," Twilight promised. "Take the plunge."

All too soon, their chariot was making a soft landing on an interstate leading towards the western edge of Cop. Where all other legislative buildings were held when the Castle wasn't necessary. Well this time they had no choice.

It was a little smaller and resembled a fancy college campus more than a single location of power. This was where all ponies of power go and hold their gavels. Queen Arcadia could see the campus up ahead. A mountain of ability towering over the small and tall businesses of Psera. The sun sets behind it to show that even at the end of the day, they were the ones to get the last word in.

Pods and other vehicles on the bridge they were crossing along pulled over to the side out of respect. The flashing lights announced their show of power and influence. That and it's been on the news all week of Queen Twilight 'Arcadia Nova' Sparkle's return to the public after two months of intense protection.

The campus was secured by a steel spiked gate that covered it's entire radius. The adjacent street was wide enough to host a college party with enough room for businesses, and the road leading up to its open gates was wide enough to add more. Governmental businesses made up the street dubbed Ruler's Table. Whatever you needed that you couldn't find anywhere else, it was here.

The sidewalks, the cobbled streets, they were currently polluted by the multitude of Pserateps awaiting her arrival on the side. Elite Guards stood in formation and outlined a perfect strip for their escort. Holding flags that flailed in the wind. Everything was the same. Then... It wasn't.

Queen Arcadia's smile was no longer on her face. Hidden behind the veil of mystery. Her hair was no longer in its shimmering bun but a cloud of mystery hiding her wound from the world. Her gaze as empty as a stoic Secretary Manny, one of the most emotionless ponies Queen Arcadia has had the honor of calling her friend next to Maud Pie.

When they finally arrived and rolled up Ruler's Table, ponies on the side cheered and waved her way. Cameras snapped and ponies called her name. Arcadia's gaze remained forward and empty. The same, but different. Much different.

Their chariots slowed and turned adjacent to the gates of the campus where noblemen and women, Senators, and lawmakers were waiting for her. She could make out the Congressional Judges. They've been under the throne for many years. Rumor has it one of them would be retiring soon.

Once their Chariot was parked, the Elite unstrapped themselves and took up positions. Two opened the doors for the Queen and her Secretary of Royalty, the rest provided a secure radius around them saluting.

Once Arcadia's hooves were on the cold cobble street, cheering and waving commenced. As usual she waved back with a soft smile on her face. Not as big and influential as before, but still a smile nonetheless that her subjects focused on.

Once Gardeen was by her side strapped into her chair, Arcadia waved her way to the gates of Founder's Circle. Towards those bowing to greet her.

Judge Sunlight remained the same. Long flowing yellow mane that had sparkles trapped inside, dark yellow eyes, and a serious attitude old as time itself.

"A privilege to have you among us, Queen Arcadia," she greeted.

"Rise, Judge Sunlight." She and the rest of the available Congress did as requested to face Queen Arcadia. If it wasn't clear by this point, she has definitely changed. She was at least three inches taller, and her expression was stern. Cold.

Arcadia asked, "How are the rest of Congress?"

Judge Sunlight raised a hoof behind her towards the gate of Founder's Circle. "They are well, your highness. The hall has been modified for your arrival."

Of course things have been changed. Just like the rest of Twilight's life. She internally shivered and nodded. "Then let's move forward."

Gardeen and Arcadia aligned with the high-headed ponies of Psera into the gates of Founder's Circle. With their eyes set on the tallest of them all. A round dome with a golden exterior. A sun halfway in the ground with Arcadia and Madun's statue in front of the entrance.

Twilight's nightmares would be that these still depictions were all she would ever see of her husband. Stars above, nightmares for any place in power were real.

Soldiers continue marching through those nightmares. And she was a soldier.

Guards up ahead pulled open two thick glass doors for the large approaching party. Then bowed out of respect when the Queen stepped off of gravel onto luxury vinyl flooring. Pserateps of all different positions stood around conversing. A clamour of noises blew through the air. Walking past delivering information to others.

Shushing one another and bowing when Queen Arcadia was recognized until the entire hall was as silent as Safe Haven at night.

Queen Arcadia and the rest of the party passed them all in favor of the escalators at the very end leading deep down into the ground.

During the trip down, the Queen was updated on certain events that have occured beyond Safe Haven's walls. Events that Arcadia has heard about but was beyond her power to uphold without a hearing.

Once the briefing was completed, Arcadia queried, "And what are we doing about the war?"

"We have not discussed it yet prior your arrival. But discussions are currently in place should the Zebras not be hoofed over. Military action of course along with deals and trials."

Deals and trials? Arcadia didn't want deals and trials. As a matter of fact that was the last thing she wanted. She smoldered and requested, "Are there any specifics for these... Deals and trials?"

One of them answered, "None have been proposed but they are in the agenda."

"I honestly hope it stays that way."

Judge Sunlight glanced over confusedly. "Your highness?"

Twilight stepped off the escalator they were riding down and faced the group with contempt when they were close enough. "I want no attacks on my country from outside threats. And the only ponies who seem to pose a great threat to Psera at this hour are the Zebras and their IHT allies."

"With all due respect Queen Arcadia, you seem to be attacking in fear. And I must reiterate from your own wise words, fear amplifies anxiety. I suggest we think and discuss more on our plans and response. Perhaps a war is not what we need at this time."

"Our King is dead along with hundreds of our citizens," Arcadia pointed out. "Not to mention The Princess of Psera. A placeholder in Psera history and heir to the Crown. As well as my daughter. All of the Pserateps are family. And they murdered my children in cold blood. The Zebras will not stop until they are firmly controlled."

"I understand your majesty," Sunlight spoke up. "But maybe we should explore options that aren't Priority A. Maybe we can try to find less violent ways before getting violent, turning Priority A into Priority B."

Arcadia sighed through her nose. All ponies had a right to their opinions. One half wanted the war, the other wanted to extinguish it.

Twilight turned and continued walking for the guarded doors up ahead. "We will save this discussion for the meetings today. Psera comes first. After we finalize these bills we will elaborate more details on the responses to the Zebrican attack on our nation."

"Yes, your Highness."

"But worth mentioning..." She stopped in front of the doors and faced them once more. "I am so happy to see all of you are well since the attack. I know this has been quite the change on our way of life these past few weeks. Some more than others. I am so happy to see you all here when Psera needs you the most."

Judge Sunlight and the rest bowed. "When Psera sings her songs, we will answer the call. Anything for Psera."

"I am so proud to hear you say that." Queen Arcadia turned around and smoldered a glowing violet eye at the doors out of sight. An eye filled with anger and distrust. "Anything for Psera."


Flurry was absolutely scared. So scared she was practically hugging her mother, breathing in the dirt on Cadance's nearly flawless coat. One would have said a pony with her ability shouldn't show fear. A Princess is brave when wondering through a land of unknowns.

They Princess who came up with that would've been cowering too were they walking through the hot land of Tartarus.

The air was scorched, the ground under their hooves moist with condensation. Each step further into Tartarus' burning fields were accentuated with the thumping of Flurry's heart. She could make out the numerous cages up ahead containing the colorless antagonists of Equestrian tales. The tall mountains of endless rock laid shadows over their bodies when they travelled between them.

Cadance, Celestia and Luna lead the charge at the very front between four Royal Equestrian Guards and two of Mount Aris' hippogriffs. Quite surprising to see them here. Flurry was sure water was more their charm.

No one spoke a word during the entire trip. The only sounds were the clopping of bare hooves, the clinking of hooves with metal, the rustling of battle gear from the Guards and the nervous fluttering of Flurry's wings.

But it seemed their trip was finally coming to an end. They walked out from around the corner of the mountain into a clear circle leading no where. One of the many corners of Tartarus.

On the sides outside of the actual circle were three cages holding prisoners. And—whoa! Two of them were holding fillies! Fillies the age of Flurry herself!

Flurry paused in place briefly while Luna and Celestia walked up to them with a brave pace in their steps. Luna walked over to the the one on the very left holding a minotaur and Celestia to the very right where one of the fillies were.

She had a curly pink mane and a light pink coat that definitely didn't spell evil. Her cutie mark was an orange circle that gradually faded to black. Her eyes were closed, sleeping away the time of eternity.

Celestia ran her hoof along her cage bars to create a loud ring. "Wake up, Sun Waves," she ordered.

Sun Waves jumped out of her sleep and trained her pink eyes through her hooves. What's going on? She blinked once and two more times before her mind focused on what was in front of her. She knew those long alabaster hooves anywhere. She didn't have to look up to know who they belonged to.

Sun Waves smirked and glanced up to Celestia's face. "Hello, ol' friend. I see you decided to visit," she said. "Change of heart?"

Celestia firmly stated, "This isn't a change of heart, Sun Waves. You committed a crime to magic and you must serve your sentence."

"Well it's been a breeze so far." Sun Waves mocked a yawn and smacked her lips. "It's as if I was thrown in here yesterday. How long has it been, Celestia? A day?"

"Almost two thousand. But we're not here to count your sentencing, that's Cerberus' job. We're here to make a deal."

The word that finally roused the remaining cellmates in this small corner of Tartarus. The big Minotaur resting snapped his eyes open and trained them on the guards, and the last filly rose from her place facing the wall.

She had a light blue coat accentuated by dark blue eyes, and a short periwinkle mane and tail to fray out as if static were in the air. But that wasn't nearly the shocking thing about her.

She was an Alicorn covered in black fading runes, mainly on her wings. She rose to her hooves and floated even higher without the use of her wings towards the bars of her cell, smirking with mischief.

"Ohhh, what gives Princesses" She asked. Her voice was as smooth as fresh new milk. "Someone peepee in your cereal? Oh how I hate that. You're expecting smooth almond milk but you get something rather sour."

Luna and Celestia were unmoving in her approach, even when she was right there in their faces. "Intrigue me. Why strike a deal with the last ponies you would ever talk to?"

Luna smoldered and boldly answered, "The lands above you are at war with a nation of incredible power. All countries have bonded together to create a uniformed military against this powerful threat. Their Queen has been deemed the most powerful living pony in existence. After an attack on her country by what is believed to be a Zebrican Cult, they responded with a retaliatory attack that flipped their country into charred inhabitable land for, what our experts theorize, a century. After learning there are more Zebras, she is ordering they be handed over in Psera-custody. In the next few days, we are expecting an envoy from their nation to get our decision."

"Let me guess." The biggest Minotaur any have ever seen rose to his hooves and snorted out his nose. He crossed his bulging muscles and asked, "Equestria has already made their decision: No."

Celestia nodded to him and answered, "You would be correct, Tritanium. We are offering you, Sun Waves, and Sky Duster..." Sky Duster winked in the corner Celestia's eyes. "Freedom, in exchange for your services in this war. Despite your colorful personalities."

"Hmmm, I don't know..." Sky Duster floated down to the floor of her cage and kicked her hooves up. "I kinda fancy my little home I have here. You know there's no food, water, entertainment, any light whatsoever, and it's summer all year long, but it's still home."

Flurry groaned and rolled her eyes. She could already tell Sky Duster was the more psychotic of the trio.

Sky Duster trained her attention on the source of that groan and assessed the two Alicorns in front of her. She waved a hoof and asked, "And who are these two lovely rays of sunshine?"

Luna raised a wing in their direction amd introduced them. "This is Princess Mi Amor Cadenza and her daughter Princess Flurry Heart. Of The Crystal Empire."

The Crystal Empire?! Sky Duster straightened up and stated factually, "The Crystal Empire has been frozen in Ice for centuries."

"Not anymore. It's been unearthed for almost fifty years now."

Sky Duster smoldered at the Princesses with a tense feeling. What else had she missed? Hippogriff guards, an unearthed Crystal Empire, a war above their heads?

"I'm in," she decided. Her hooves were firmly crossed. "But I want to see how bad this war has become so far."

Luna nodded and responded, "We'll show you once we're back in Canterlot."

Tritanium bowed from the side and decided, "I too agree to assist in this war."

That just left Sun Waves. Flurry wasn't sure, but it seemed she and the Princesses had a more personal conflict than the other two. She was glaring up at them. Making a decision in the back of her mind.

"I'm in," she decided. "But we still have to talk, you two."

Yep. Definitely some bad blood.