• Published 22nd Oct 2019
  • 379 Views, 48 Comments

Starting A Flame - Star_Shade



Follow the adventures of Dasher, as she joins the rebellion against Queen Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
2
 48
 379

Chapter [25] The Prophecy

They continued up the path. Piper kept his eyes on the ground, watching his steps. He felt like they had walked for days and was beginning to feel sleepy. He voiced his concern for them to stop and rest. Shining, glancing at the storm, argued that they needed to continue. They were not in the most desirable place to be hit in the storm, and should find level ground less they be swept over the mountainside. Piper looked over the side and gulped at how high they had progressed. Dasher kept her gaze ahead, estimating another half hour of walking before they would reach the top of the path.

Picking up the pace, they reached a summit point. A small flat area opened up, with small clumps of grass growing here and there. Before them sat an enormous boulder, covering the entrance of a cave. The boulder had three holes on its sides, with a few runes and words carved into it. The group gathered around it. “Here you will find the dwelling place of Zanzibar the medium. In order to approach, complete the foundation, and enter,” read Dasher.

“Interesting. ‘Complete the foundation.’ I wonder what that means?” said Shining.

“The foundation of what perhaps? Completing a message, song, or do intricate taps?” wondered Arocez.

“I have no idea,” stated Piper, stumped.

“Well, I think we should pause and rest for now. This puzzle won’t go anywhere, and I am much more confident in our elevation. We can come back in an hour or two,” offered Shining. He glanced back down the path, noticing that the storm had disappeared. A confused expression found its way on his face. “Huh, the storm is gone.” The others turned to look, and true enough, there was no hint of a storm to be seen.

“Weird, it was just brewing a few minutes ago,” said Dasher, tilting her head.

“Possibly our friends below dismantled the storm for us. Had it reached our location; it would cause quite the fuss,” commented Arocez.

“Strange, the sphinx talked about the coming storm, yet now it is gone, could it have been wrong?” wondered Shining. All that could be now heard was the ever-present howling wind, which blew around the area. Piper didn’t know why, but a chill ran down his spine. He thought of voicing his concern, but chose to stay quiet.

“Beats me, at least we do not have to worry about getting caught in it. We already have one puzzle to figure out. Let’s rest for now,” decided Dasher.

The group huddled together, finding a patch of grass that seemed to be the softest before lying down. Had they chosen to turn back and take a peek at the path behind them, they would have been able to see small billows of fire rising from what remained of the campsite they had just left.


An hour later, they once again huddled to tackle the problem at hoof. “Alright, so, any ideas on what ‘completing the foundation’ means?” said Shining.

“Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way, could it possible have something to do with us?” asked Dasher.

“Possibly. But what foundation do we need to complete?” wondered Piper. Arocez was the first to take a crack at it. Walking up, she tested her theory of a melody by tapping the boulder in certain places. She also hummed a few short and long tunes that only proved unfruitful. Not to be outdone, she placed her ear to certain areas of the giant rock and hit it lightly, hoping for some clue.

Dasher came beside Arocez to examine the big rock. It looked old, with moss growing towards the top, but not covering any of the message. After circling the stone a few times, an idea formed in Dasher’s head. “Foundation…” she said. “Could we be going at this incorrectly? Maybe it isn’t what we can do, but who we already are.” She then noticed the holes. One facing towards her, and the other on each side. Piper and Shining approached and sat beside her.

“What do you mean?” asked Shining.

“Look at these holes,” remarked Dasher, pointing at them. Shining moved over to one side, crouching a little to look inside.

“I don’t see anything. What are they for?” he muttered, before sniffing them tentatively. Piper moved to the other one.

“Maybe… that’s it! Put you hoof into the hole,” exclaimed Dasher.

“What?” said Piper.

“Just do it. ‘Complete the foundation!’ Complete the foundation of the tribes!” proclaimed Dasher, who then slowly pushed her own hoof into the hole. Shining did the same, with Piper following hesitantly. When all three had pushed in as far as they could, there was a resounding click. The message flashed blue, before the words melted into the stone. There were a few intricate clicks, and a quick jab of pain, before they each pulled out their legs, and the boulder moved.

“Ouch!” complained Piper, rubbing his leg, the others just stared in awe as the passage opened for them.

“Woah,” proclaimed Dasher as the group watched the boulder slide to the side, a passage opening up beside it with steps leading down. “That is cool!”

“Well done, Dasher. Let us make haste and be down faster,” said Arocez, leading the way first.


As the group moved down, Piper looked up and his jaw dropped. Little bits of light traveled over the ceiling, flashing in colors of yellow, white, and red. Strange magical artifacts in glass cases lined the walls. A brown sword suspended and twirling in the air. A gold necklace with an hourglass symbol lay on a simple rock. A strange sock in the shape of a horse crafted with stringy hair and buttons for eyes on a stick that stood upright. These were the more notable ones. Others were simple chests or scrolls that probably held greater dangers.

One item in particular caught the attention of Shining as he passed. A metallic object that contained some globs of oozing green liquid. What fascinated him the most was watching the bubbles condense and then rise upward. Not sensing any magic, Shining was fascinated by the object. He’d never seen before anything like it.

“Hey, Piper, come take a look at this,” said Shining, beckoning him. They both were mesmerized by the liquid, which winked ever so often with sparkly lights.

“Boys, come along now. You will have plenty of time to look at pretty things when we don’t have a powerful medium to see,” called Dasher, sending a wayward glance at Arocez and attempting to hide her smile with a hoof. The zebra chuckled. Shining just laughed gently before regaining his serious expression and moving behind them with Piper following him.

Eventually, the tunnel opened upward into a room with a simple wooden door. Lightly unlocking the door, the group moved into the room which seemed to have been prepared for them. Four neatly placed cushions were splayed on the ground, with an elderly zebra sitting behind a table with her eyes closed. While Arocez had more defined straight black stripes, this zebra had a jagged design displayed over her body and legs. She was wearing a red mask inlaid with small golden beads. A small oval necklace adorned her neck, and rather than a mohawk, she had a small afro. her expression was tranquil as one of her ears flicked slightly when they trotted into the room.

“Welcome all, to my simple resting place. My name is Zanzibar and as you have probably already guessed and seen, I am a medium,” began the zebra, opening her eyes to look at each one of them. “Welcome, Piper Moon of the earth ponies. Shining Moon of the unicorns, Dasher of the pegasi, and Arocez Moon of the zebra. You each have faced many difficulties, trials, and tribulations throughout your journey to me. Yet now you all are here. What now, do you seek?”

“We seek to understand the events in our land. We wish to find advice on what to do, and how to fight back against a nearly invincible enemy and do what we can to restore our country,” stated Shining, being the bravest and taking a cushion. The rest quickly followed suit.

“Yes. The Moon has overshadowed the country of Equestria. And following it comes much change and sorrow. Yet beware, with knowledge comes a burden. Are all of you willing to carry this?” asked Zanzibar.

“We are,” the group replied, each one focusing on the zebra’s words.

“Very well,” she began, before closing her eyes. Suddenly, a draft of air blew across the room. The wind gained strength, blowing around and through the five. Along with the sound of wind came a barely audible noise. This noise soon grew into tiny voices that were just barely decipherable. Just on the edge of familiarity, but still mysterious. Dasher felt a chill down her spine and could have sworn she felt a wing brush up against her back. Just when she thought she could pick out the voice of her dead friend, Zanzibar spoke. The zebra had been lifted into the air by the winds. Her eyes shone with an eerie green light, and she spoke in a strangely melodic voice.

“Behold! Hear now the prophecy of true and old!

“The Possessed, the one ruled by night. She shall get her revenge on the light.

“The Broken, though mended, was denied her destiny and loyal desire. She shall light the flame that starts the fire.

“The General, he who leads through storms and fires, will answer the call. Or risks for endless night to fall.

“The Savant, though through many pains and sorrows, finds a way. And with a final understanding, shall free the light of day.

“And the Hero that comes, taking the stage when all hope is lost and it is too late. The world looks on, as a decision is made foretold by Fate.”

Once finished, Zanzibar was lowered and the wind died down. Each of the four were astonished, reflecting over the words. Shining was the first to break the silence.

“So… who are the five ponies of the prophecy? Is it any of us?” asked Shining.

“Three of the chosen are known. One approaches, and one is yet to be found,” spoke Zanzibar. Each ruminated on what the zebra had said.

One approaches... wait! “Dawn Lighter, she’s coming! The storm! Moon Nettle! We have to go back for her!” exclaimed Dasher, getting up and facing the door. Fear gripped her heart for her friend.


“Ulla, get yourself together mare. They have been gone for less than ten minutes, and yet you're shaking like a rattlesnake’s tail, ” muttered Nettle, raising an eyebrow. She jostled Ulla, who was rocking slightly back and forth.

“But, Nettle, this wasn’t supposed to happen! We were supposed to stay together!” cried Ulla, tears threatening to come out.

“What do you mean?” asked Nettle.

“No no no… I can’t take it anymore,” said Ulla, before turning invisible and vanishing.

“Wait, Ulla, come back! Darn that girl,” muttered Nettle, shaking her head.

“Commander!” called an earth pony by the name of Silvertin.

“What, what is it?” huffed Nettle.

“You are going to want to see this, Commander,” announced Silvertin.

“Don’t give me this ‘You are going to want to see this, Commander’ crap. Report what you saw,” snapped Nettle, annoyed.

“It’s the storm, Commander. Uh... Dawn Lighter stepped out of it and is standing near the entrance,” said Silvertin nervously. Nettle had to pause to chew the information, before swearing obscenely.

“Get our troops into battle positions! I want everypony that is able-bodied to be on high alert. Get our wounded to the safest spot and form a line of defense. Now!” commanded Nettle.

Pegasi began bringing the wounded back, while unicorns and earth ponies worked together to form a small dirt barrier facing the entrance. Once the rushed defense was in place, each pony stood at nervous attention as they faced the enemy. “Why is she here?” “How did she find us?” “What is she going to do?” “What does she want?” These comments rippled through the group, anxiety sweeping across the line.

Nettle could feel the tension rising. Putting on her best poker face, she came to the front and peered over to address the enemy. “Dawn Lighter. Speak your business here!” Nettle demanded. The infamous unicorn’s outline was seen at the mouth of the entrance. Her dark purple coat and darker blue mane appeared from within the clouds of dust. Her star-adorned tail slowly swished behind her as she stalked forward. There was a moment of pause, before Dawn Lighter smiled.

“I only want my brother and the colt. Give them up to me, and the rest of you may live,” stated Dawn Lighter, her voice echoing among the mountains.

“Brother?” responded Nettle.

“Shining Moon,” replied Dawn Lighter simply.

“You will have to get through us before you touch them!” yelled one of the ponies on the line. Nettle just facehoofed.

“Thanks, Tentak, you just told the enemy that they were here,” said Nettle, sighing. Dawn Lighter swept her gaze at the pitiful defense, before looking back at Nettle, recognizing her as the leader. A shiver ran down Nettle's spine, as Dawn Lighter’s eyes seemed to pierce right through her facade. The unicorn shrugged slightly, before turning to the tempest and lighting her horn. Her magic seemed to envelope the entire gale, before lightly sweeping it away like a broom. Nettle gulped, as a miniature army of hundred or so hooded creatures now faced her group.

“Sweet Celestia, save us all,” whispered Nettle, before the army attacked.


“You cannot help her now, Dasher. Her life is in her hooves,” said Zanzibar. “ Piper, step forward.” Doing as he was asked, Piper awkwardly drew closer to the medium, a little fearful as he took in her appearance. He shook his head and cast his gaze away from her jagged stripes.

“Each of you play a significant role in the future, as all of us are tied to destiny. Piper, learn to be a wise leader, but know your weaknesses. Go and seek out the changelings from the east, for they possess many gifts and burdens. Find what has been lost, for there you will find treasure beyond measure.” Bowing his head, Piper stepped back.

“Dasher, you have given so much. Though you doubt yourself sometimes, you have always stayed loyal to your friends. I fear your time grows short. Be encouraged that you have done well,” Zanzibar said. Suddenly the cave rumbled, as if an earthquake hit the area.

Unfazed, Zanzibar continued, “Shining, you carry the burden of what your sister has done. One should not have to pay for the crimes of their sibling. You must choose where your loyalties lie. Blood, or brothers.” Turning to Arocez, Zanzibar was about to speak to her, when an explosion rocked the room.

“The spirits tell of one coming. We shall continue another time. Follow me.” Getting up, Zanzibar moved over to a section of the wall and tapped it with a hoof. A doorway opened, and she walked in, beckoning the others to follow. Hurrying through the passage, they came to fork in the tunnel.

“Here lies a divided path, our impasse. To the right, our escape. All of us may go, but Dawn Lighter will catch us. To our left, doom. Should the rest survive, one must stay behind to distract,” Zanzibar said sadly, looking down.

“No! We all have gone so far, we can’t sentence somepony to possible death!” exclaimed Shining in disbelief.

“Maybe we could all make it?” Piper wondered absently, scared at the thought of losing another.

“Surely, Zanzibar, you could stay behind. Since Dawn Lighter may want you and keep you alive,” offered Shining.

“Now hold on, that is not the right thing to say. We did not come this far, to then turn around and send her off that way,” countered Arocez. Soon both began arguing over what to do, while Zanzibar gently and subtly laid a hoof onto Dasher’s shoulder. A knowing look passed between the two.

“I will stay,” stated Dasher, halting their quarreling. Shining instantly wilted, knowing it was the best option. Arocez looked down, pawing the ground and not meeting Dasher’s gaze. Piper sat in stunned silence.

“No…” mumbled the colt weakly. “There must be another way.”

“There isn’t, kiddo. Finish what I started. Find more loyal allies and you will succeed. Maybe you can even find and free your friend. Don’t make the same mistake I did and stay on the sidelines,” proclaimed Dasher, hugging Piper and turning to Arocez. “Looks like it is the end of the road for me. And I wish I had more time. Tell Moon Nettle I am sorry and give her a proper goodbye.”

“Your sacrifice will not be in vain,” said Shining, conflicted. There came a cry of annoyance, as another wave jostled the group. Followed by a resounding crack, signifying that they needed to get moving.

“Goodbye,” whispered Dasher as she watched the four go down the right path. Breathing in, she tried to slow down her raging heart as she turned towards the coming storm.

She didn’t have to wait long, as smoke began snaking its way towards her. Covering herself with a wing, Dasher anxiously shuffled in place. Barely noticing a figure emerging through the smoke, Dasher turned tail and ran down the left path.

“Get her!” yelled a voice, but Dasher’s rainbow visage already disappeared down the left direction. Reaching the end of the tunnel in only twelve seconds, Dasher only wished she had more time. Just as she turned around to face her adversary, five hooded figures jumped onto her. She was only able to hit one or two, before more came to her downfall and pinned her to the ground.

Waltzing into view, Dawn Lighter looked down at Dasher and sneered. “Release her!” she shouted. Tossed from their grasp, Dasher spit out a bit of blood and stood defiantly. “Now, where is everypony else, Dasher? What did you learn here?” asked Dawn Lighter.

Dasher just shook her head. “You won’t get anything from me. I would never betray my friends.”

“I am sure. But it matters little to me. My spies will tell me everything I want to know, all in good time. It was rather easy to infiltrate the resistance. No screenings or anything,” said Dawn Lighter triumphantly.

“Impossible! Who? We would have figured them out by now! Why not have them dismantle us or slow our efforts? ” exclaimed Dasher.

“You know her quite well actually; your illusion of knowledge is quite funny,” continued Dawn Lighter, slowly circling Dasher.

Illusion? What is she… no. “Ulla?! But… why? She fought with us for her family! Why would she betray us?” asked Dasher, eyes wide.

“And why should I tell you? Don’t you see I have already won? Your little cause will be destroyed, your friends killed, and Queen Nightmare Moon will reign victoriously, with me along her side,” sang Dawn Lighter.

“If you have won, then why aren’t you smiling?” Dasher said defiantly. “Do to me whatever you want; you will still lose in the end.”

“Oh? So confident? Let’s wipe clear your muck,” uttered Dawn Lighter, charging up her horn.

Author's Note:

Alright I will probably get a lot of flak for this one, but it needed to be done. I know that leaning on any of the mane 6 is a good idea for your first few stories, but I think I know where I want to go next. So no more killing off any of the remaining 4 for at least like, 1 entire story. But no promises for any other characters :fluttershyouch: That being said, hope you enjoy this final chapter.
(Also sorry again for getting this out late, life has been way too crazy.)