• Published 22nd Oct 2019
  • 381 Views, 48 Comments

Starting A Flame - Star_Shade



Follow the adventures of Dasher, as she joins the rebellion against Queen Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
2
 48
 381

Prologue: Resuming the grand tale

Author's Note:

Before you begin this story, a gentle reminder that this is a sequel... As much as I dislike my first story, it is sadly relevant in understanding this one.


Boy, sorry for taking such a long break. Had to get a bunch of things finished irl, and of the time of writing this, I am still studying for school. So I am sorry if the output of these stories is all jumbled. I am still trying to work on a schedule, but I am always busy. Finally got around to getting this out. Enjoy!

Update v1.1, Had an editor help me fix up this chapter, slowly but surely, everything will be fixed, and then I can start putting up new chapters soon!

“You are mine now. We are going to have so much fun together!” said Dawn Lighter triumphantly, her face encased in darkness. They were in a dark room, shadows rendering most of the place as black as it could be.

“You will get nothing out of me! Torture me all you want; I will never betray my friends!” shouted Velvet, straining against her bonds binding her to a table. Dawn Lighter moved her head back, shrouding her face in darkness, before her horn lit up with a purple hue. Suddenly, the lights on the ceiling flared to life. Dawn Lighter waltzed along shelves filled to the brim with tools of unspeakable horror, lifting a few, trying to decide between a metal fork-like device and a set of pliers with knives at the edges.

“We shall see how tough you really are!” Dawn Lighter cackled wickedly, choosing the set of pliers. She moved to stand beside Velvet and whispered into her ear. “We are going to have so much fun together.” She stroked her cheek with the tips of the pliers.

“Dad, DAAAAAD!” yelled Velvet.


“Dad, wake up. You are mumbling in your sleep again,” said Velvet, smiling. Shaking himself awake and moving aside the blankets, he stumbled over to where Velvet was standing and hugged her.

Sighing deeply, he spoke softly, “I had another one of those dreams.”

Doing her best to comfort her father, Velvet laid her head against his shoulder. “I am so sorry. Was it you or me this time?”

“You. It has always been you since you came of age,” he said, sighing again. “It has been so long since the last nightmare, I had thought they would be gone. The emotions had caught me by surprise.”

“Well, remember what Mom had taught you. You guys had won. Won. Remember? Remind yourself that you have a family now and that Dawn Lighter is gone, she cannot hurt you anymore. We are all safe. Safe,” said Velvet, reciting the chant that her mother had devised.

“Could me telling the kiddos my story have possibly retriggered the memories?” he asked after a moment of pondering.

“Maybe, maybe not. What I do know is that this is a good way of bonding with your grandfoals. They know so little of you and your history, and telling them your story helps grow your relationship with them,” stated Velvet confidently.

“You’re right, as always. Have I told you that you share your mother’s way with words?” he said, a smile growing across his face.

“Only a bajillion times. Come on, I want to finish making breakfast before the children are up.” And with that, Velvet made her way downstairs.


With a mad scramble down the stairs, the two foals, Ava and Orin, rushed to the room. “Tell us. Tell us! TELL US!” they shouted in unison, staring expectantly at their grandpa, who was sitting calmly at the breakfast table.

“Not yet,” he said, after a moment of consideration and leaning back in his chair. “Wait until after breakfast is finished.”

“Aww,” they sighed. Hearing commotion from the dining room, Velvet stuck her head out of the kitchen. Seeing that the two were up, she grabbed two bowls of oatmeal with apple slices on the sides and placed them before the foals.

“Eat up. Guess who will be joining you two once you have finished?” Velvet said, beaming. Ava and Odin immediately dug into their hot food. Suddenly, the front doorbell rang. “Oh, I forgot! Dad would you be kind enough to get that? I think I am expecting a package today.”

“Sure thing,” he said, moving to get up from the table and trotting into the hallway.

Opening the front door, he found a pegasus mailmare waiting with a box in hoof. “Hello! I’m here to drop off a package for…” she started politely, yet her jaw fell to the ground when she saw who was standing in the doorway.

“Ah yes, I believe my daughter, Velvet, ordered a package. Do you need me to sign anything?” he asked.

“You… you’re... you’re the Dawn Breaker! The legendary figure of old! I thought you had died years ago!” exclaimed the pegasus.

“Yes well, retirement will do that to you,” he replied awkwardly, moving a hoof to scratch the back of his head, slightly embarrassed to be found in his morning robe.

“But...wasn’t that all like over a hundred years ago? How are you still alive?” she asked.

“Being a powerful wizard has its perks. Now then, is there anything that I need to sign, or am I good to go?” he said, not trying to be rude, but still wanting to finish breakfast.

“No no, everything is in order, but uh… could I have an autograph?” she squeaked sheepishly.

“Sure, have any paper?” he said kindly. She quickly rummaged around in her saddlebag and produced a piece of paper.

“I have some paper, but don’t have any ink,” she muttered, disappointed with her own lack of material.

“No worries. There is a spell for everything these days. Actually, I had to make one since I had so many documents that needed to be signed. Never liked wasting that much ink. What is your name?” he asked. After receiving her name, he enchanted his hoof and placed it onto the page. A purple hoofprint with four elements swirling together appeared on the paper, with the mare’s name atop.

“Wow, thank you so much. I can’t wait to show all my friends! An autograph from the Archmage of the Grand Unicorn Academy!” she shouted joyfully, flying off.

“Yes well, have a good rest of your day. Young ponies these days…” he said, shaking his head and closing the door. Chuckling and holding the package in his magic, he made his way back to the dining room and the pleasant smell of breakfast.


“Ah good, you were able to get the gift. Ava, Orin, could you two go to the living room? Grandpa and I need to chat about something before we begin,” Velvet called. The two scurried out of the room, eager to reclaim their original spots from before.

“Anything I need to know about this ‘gift’ that you received?” he asked.

“Oh it is nothing. Just something of a thank you from a friend. But that is not really important right now. Are you sure you are alright to continue your story? I know I had sounded pretty confident before, but after thinking it over, I do not want you to suffer. I can tell them if you would like,” offered Velvet.

“No, I think I will be fine. I should be able to finish the story, should we not get interrupted anymore, or stay up too late at night, ” he responded.

“Well, since I have some free time this morning, I will be joining you three. It has been a while since I have heard the grand tale. You better not exaggerate anything this time,” said Velvet, winking at him.

“Well, I would never,” he exclaimed, aghast. “After all, most stretch and mold it into events that are almost unfathomable. Yes, I had done and experienced great marvels, but also suffered many hardships.”

“Then it is good that your grandfoals hear it from you. Anypony else would just leave out the bad bits,” said Velvet.

“Well, I am sure we could continue to chitchat, but I am pretty sure that if those two wait any longer, they may implode from excitement.” He chuckled, making his way to the living room to reclaim his spot near the fireplace.


A few minutes later, and with no implosions, all four of them were calmly seated in the living room. Lighting the fire with his magic, the stallion paused before speaking. “Let me think… We ended with Flutter Moon’s death, correct? With Moon Melody offering Dasher a position in the rebellion. Anything else that I might be missing?”

“Actually, before we begin, I have a question or two. When do you come into the story? What do you have to do with any of this? Why do we need to know about all these other ponies first?” asked Orin.

“Excellent questions, Orin,” he said. “For this next story, I can promise you that all your questions will be answered. Everything will be revealed in due time. Just come close, snuggle up, and listen to the adventure of a lifetime.”