• Published 22nd Oct 2019
  • 379 Views, 48 Comments

Starting A Flame - Star_Shade



Follow the adventures of Dasher, as she joins the rebellion against Queen Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
2
 48
 379

Chapter [20] Finding answers

“Why? What were you doing? What did you find?” These questions were always on the forefront of Dasher’s mind, as she tried and failed to coax out an answer from Arocez. During their journey and every night, Dasher would attempt to breach the zebra’s defenses. Yet her striped friend would not budge, giving no reply. The only thing she let slip to Dasher was that she had completed her mission, and that it was vital she returned to Commander Shining. This only puzzled Dasher further, as she tried to grasp the significance of what Arocez had done. And why was the Empire so desperate to catch her?

As the group made their way to the clearing that held the headquarters of the resistance, Dasher reflected over the many weeks that had transpired since her departure with Nettle and Ulla. Emotions rose and fell, as few cities gave their support to the resistance. Many had been cowed into fear and would not dare oppose the will of Nightmare Moon. Some wished to join, but had little to none resources to give and could not leave their homes behind. Even sadder, a few had grown strong in resilience, winning entire cities or settlements to the cause. Yet they had made their intentions known, and so Dawn Lighter came personally to crush any defiance to the crown. Those that got lucky only suffered a few losses as a warning. Others… Dasher stomped her hoof in rage at the memory of seeing cities and homes destroyed. Those that were brave enough and stayed anonymous pledged their support and gave the best they could. Dasher had initially declined their offers of sending troops of ponies with them, until Nettle pointed out that Commander Shining needed more. Arocez also suggested they should increase their numbers, and Ulla stayed indifferent. Mentally shrugging, Dasher allowed it, and their group grew.

Reaching the crest of a hill and seeing the familiar clearing below, Dasher smiled. There was this strange sense of home whenever she was within the camp. Something that just clicked when she was in a system of order. The beauty of seeing ponies living with honor and loyalty towards each other, in harmony. Walking closer, they were quickly hailed by the border sentries. Dasher, Nettle and Ulla walked up to greet a messenger that was dispatched.

“Hello! You three must be the leaders of the group that the commander sent. Come on in! It seems that your group is weary from their travels. We will get somepony to take care of you all, while I notify the commander,” said the messenger, beckoning them in.


Just as they finished settling down, Commander Shining walked up to the assembly. “Welcome everypony! I hope your journey here was well, and I am glad you all came. Please have a talk with my second in command, Brisk, and he will sort you all out,” Shining said happily, looking around before noticing Arocez. His face turned from joy into a more serious expression. “Ah, Arocez, it’s good to see you back. Come with me, we have much to discuss.”

“Oh no you don’t! I want answers, Commander. I busted my tail getting her here, and I better get a good reason for why the Empire is after her,” declared Dasher, rushing over to follow the two. Shining simply sighed before nodding his head.

“Very well. After all, it may pertain to you anyway,” remarked the stallion as they drew to his tent.

“Wait, what?” exclaimed Dasher.


“Alright, spill. I have so many theories buzzing in my head about what information you have, but none of them seem completely plausible,” muttered Dasher as they entered Shining’s personal tent. She sat down and crossed her hooves, making her skepticism about what they were going to say next clear. Arocez simply directed her gaze to Shining, seeking his approval before speaking.

“I trust her, but be careful about how you say it,” said Shining, looking at Arocez.

“Careful about what? What do I have to do with any of this?” continued Dasher, confused.

“Understanding will come, but we haven't much time,” began Arocez as she made her way over to face the two. “In these rumors I found neither reason nor rhyme. I searched far and wide to discover the answer. It turned out to be my sister, who is a necromancer.”

“Your sister? Where can we find her? Why would she spread these rumors?” asked Shining.

“Why my sister has told these stories is unknown. She is not one to socialize, and prefers to stay alone. She and I parted ways when we came to this land. I enjoyed the forest and green, she liked the hills and sand. Though I dislike her practices, I fear we will be in need of her talent and skills. As she consults with the dead, and lives in the far west of Macintosh hills,” proclaimed Arocez.

“Why would we need to see her?” wondered Dasher.

“The dead could see more than the living and may help us immensely in our fight against Nightmare Moon and Dawn Lighter,” offered Shining.

“We can worry about that later, I say we make haste to her location. For I fear if Nightmare Moon catches us, it would be our devastation. Our time grows shorter every day. I vote we move, get the ponies we have, and be on our way,” said Arocez.

“I still don’t understand what I have to do with any of this,” commented Dasher.

“That does not matter right now. Our top priority is to find your sister, Arocez, and see what information she can give us, and maybe have her join us as well,” concluded Shining.

“Wait, hold on. I still want to know why I have anything to do with Arocez’s sister,” pressed Dasher, turning to look at him.

“Well… we had received word that a leader would rise among us. Moon Melody believed that to be you,” stated Shining, rubbing his hooves together.

“Me? But, why? I don’t think I am the right pony to lead us against Nightmare Moon…” muttered Dasher, thinking about Astral’s words and the skirmish of Vanhoover. “Do you think I am?”

“I honestly don’t know. But since we now know where these rumors originated from, we may be able to hear the full prophecy--” began Shining, before flinching and halting himself. He immediately regretted his words. Dasher, however, caught the slip and perked up.

“Prophecy? No no no... I am not chasing another prophecy. The last time we did that, Flutter Moon died! She was executed for treason against the crown for attempting to steal the forbidden knowledge! How much more must we lose in pursuit of that?” Dasher said, shaking her head.

“It’s our only lead,” pleaded Shining. “Our only chance we have for hope. None of us are prepared to face Nightmare Moon, but with that prospect of knowledge, we might be fortunate enough. Or at least know what to do next at least.”

“I… I don’t know.” Dasher sighed shakily, biting her lip. The feelings of grief resurfaced, as did thoughts of Flutter Moon. Fear of making the same mistake caused Dasher to shudder. I don’t think I can go through this again, she thought as her breathing increased and she began zoning out.

“Dasher,” said Shining, jostling her slightly. “Look at me. I know you are afraid, but we need to be brave if we are to face Nightmare Moon. We cannot let our fear get in the way of doing what must be done. I cannot cower under her might. And if I need to make a sacrifice, that will be on me, not you. I need everypony to be in tandem and loyal if we are to push through this. Can you do that for me?”

“I-I guess.” Dasher sighed again, turning back to Arocez. “Your sister better be worth the journey.”


“Alright everypony, if I can get your attention please!” addressed Shining that evening. “Dasher and her group have brought us valuable news today, along with all of you. Our next operation shall be going to the city of Appleloosa. There we will seek a potentially valuable ally and information. More will be explained when we reach the city. I can promise no safety on our journey. But I can swear to you that if we find what we are looking for, it shall be beneficial to our cause. Tonight I leave you with a choice. Join us in this expedition, or stay here and sustain our base of operation. We do not have much time, so you must make a decision by tomorrow.”

Afterward, Dasher attempted to persuade her friends to stay behind. “Gals, I can’t ask you to join me in this. Who knows what perils lie ahead? I can’t in good conscience ask you to risk your lives again.”

“Seriously? Nopony said that the road would be easy,” countered Nettle, crossing her legs.

“After all, I haven’t wasted all this time saving both of your flanks, just to turn around at the first mention of danger, ” interjected Ulla.

“True, but I seem to recall you running and screaming like a little filly when you found that giant spider in your pack. Where was it again? The Whitetail Woods, I believe? The least dangerous place in all of Equestria?” Nettle chuckled. Ulla just blushed, huffed, and turned away in embarrassment. Dasher couldn’t help but crack a smile. She would never admit it openly, but she really enjoyed working with the two.

“Then it’s settled. To Appleloosa we go!” cheered Nettle.

Author's Note:

oooh Arocez has an older and more mysterious sister. Also this slightly touched into the darkness of how Dasher feels, and the fears she has. Anyway, hope you enjoy the chapter!