• Published 22nd Oct 2019
  • 379 Views, 48 Comments

Starting A Flame - Star_Shade



Follow the adventures of Dasher, as she joins the rebellion against Queen Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
2
 48
 379

Chapter [16] On the road again, with friends

“I think we should have a third member. Maybe a unicorn well-versed in magic that can get us out of a tough spot. I know you and I could hold our own, but a trio really cements the persona of an adventure, don’t you think, Nettle?” asked Dasher as they walked.

“Sounds good to me. Just as long as it isn’t a stallion. I don’t think I can feel comfortable with one sleeping with us on the road,” Moon Nettle said, catching up to her.

“Well, if you want, we could bring a certain Triton Moon.” Dasher giggled, sending Moon Nettle a sideways glance. Her friend blushed and averted her gaze. “But I agree. Any stallion would probably be more interested in the two of us, rather than the mission. I requested the best mare unicorn the camp has. I think her name is Ulla Moon, and we are going to talk with her now.”

“She better be good,” Moon Nettle muttered as they neared the meeting tent.


“What do you mean you don’t know how to teleport? Shouldn’t all unicorns learn how to teleport objects and ponies?” Moon Nettle exclaimed. The three were sitting at a table, going over the finer details of the journey.

“Well s-sorry! I was a traveling showpony, not a teleporting maniac! I never needed to teleport anywhere, so there was no point in me learning how to,” said Ulla plainly.

“Hey, now I remember you! You were part of my initiation! You had some pretty impressive illusion magic.” Dasher exclaimed, finally grasping the memory..

“Thank you. Now I may not be able to teleport us directly to where we need to go, but I can still be quite useful. I can mask our journey, maybe even smuggle ourselves into cities under my illusions. Observe,” Ulla stated, lighting her horn. Suddenly, all three, including the table, had turned invisible.

“Impressive. How long can you hold the illusion?” asked Dasher, bringing her now undetectable hoof to wave in front of her face. She knew it was there, but her eyes saw nothing but the dirt floor.

“For the three of us? A few hours. Half a day for a single pony. I can do much more, but illusions are what I am good at. I also have a lot of experience traveling Equestria as an old showpony,” finished Ulla, dispersing the spell.

“Well I think you would be great with us. Nettle, what do you think?” Dasher turned to her friend.

“Fine, but you carry your own stuff and don’t complain if you get into harsh conditions. The journey ahead of us will be perilous, are you prepared for that?” asked Nettle.

“Of course! I love traveling! What could go wrong?” exclaimed Ulla. Dasher giggled, playfully shoving Nettle.

“Hey, she said it first, not me. We head out in an hour. Pack your stuff and be ready by then,” said Dasher, getting up and shaking Ulla’s hoof.


As soon as they left the clearing, Dasher jumped into the sky and circled the area. Enjoying the wonderful feeling of being in the air, she steeled herself for a long journey of flying. Just before she rocketed east, she remembered that two other ponies below were waiting for her. Rolling her eyes at their snail speed, she landed next to the two. “Come on! I could make it there in less than two days! Why aren’t you two picking up the pace?” she complained.

“Oh hush, Dasher, we all know you are the fastest flyer in all of Equestria. But that doesn’t mean Ulla and I can keep pace with you. We’ll get there in a week or two, what’s the rush? Why don’t join in on our conversation?” Nettle explained.

Dasher harrumphed and joined them in their pace, which was surprisingly quick. “So, as I was saying. After I graduated from Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, I chose to pursue the same business that my family has always been in,” continued Ulla, hopping over a small hole.

“A showpony, right? Who in your family was the most talented?” cut in Nettle.

“Oh, that would be my father. He was, and still is, probably one of the most famous illusionists around. Jackpot Moon, my father, and his friend, Buck Moon, were the creators and performers of the Splashtastic Escape,” Ulla said casually.

“Wait, the Splashtastic Escape? As in, escape from an upside down chest, underneath water, inside of a magical whirlpool, Splashtastic Escape?” exclaimed Dasher, dodging around a bush to keep pace.

“The very same. You really need to be there to experience the full deal.” Ulla smirked.

“That show is crazy! I have always wanted to see a performance. Is it true that your dad and Buck escaped together once?” asked Dasher.

“Not just together, sometimes they would both do the same stunt. A few shows they raced, or attempted to escape at a certain exact time. I had quite the exhilarating foalhood watching them,” finished Ulla, grinning.

Dasher would never admit it, but she was starstruck, her mouth wide open. She had heard stories of fantastic escapes, but the Splashtastic Escape took the cake. Nettle noticed Dasher’s expression, and a playful grin grew on her face.

“Careful there, Dasher, you are drooling,” Nettle said. The pegasus promptly closed her mouth, sputtering and coughing to mask her embarrassment.

“’Scuse me, had a leaf fall into my mouth,” Dasher said without thinking.

“Really? Tell me, do you see any trees nearby on these rolling hills we have been traversing?” goaded Nettle. Dasher could not think of any whimsical response, and looked around, trying not to meet her laughing friend’s gaze. Ulla raised an eyebrow and joined Nettle’s mirth as she watched Dasher suddenly find a very interesting rock to look at.

“So what about you, Moon Nettle, got any interesting stories? Didn’t you just get back from Appleloosa?” started Ulla, her ear flicking in annoyance at the silence.

“Totally,” began Nettle. “So it all started with this pony getting foalnapped by a buffalo…”


As the full moon lowered, signaling the end of the day cycle, they made camp at the base of a hill obscuring any who may be on the lookout for travelers. “This should be a good spot for now. Not that we should expect any danger, but it never hurts to be safe,” Dasher commented, looking around the area.

“So, what now?” asked Ulla.

“I am thinking,” mumbled Dasher. “Got it. I’ll scavenge around for some food and see if there are any monsters near us. Nettle, why don’t you start setting up our campground, work on erecting our tents. Maybe start a small, very small campfire for food.”

“See if you can get any wood sorrel and garlic mustard, I have been meaning to try a recipe with those two,” called Nettle as she began unpacking.

“Will do. Ulla, I want you to set up some magical wards or traps around the area, as well as a magical screen or something to hide ourselves while we are here,” continued Dasher, turning to the blue unicorn.

Ulla nodded. “On it, I will even add a dream eater to fight off the nightmares from Queen Nightmare Moon.”

“Hey, Ulla, can you give me a hoof by lighting this fire real quick?” asked Nettle after placing a few pieces of dried wood in a circle, waving the unicorn over.


“Alright, I found a few different plants you wanted, including wood sorrel, garlic mustard and some henbit,” Dasher said, dumping a bunch of flowers next to a crouching Nettle.

“Thanks!” she replied, grabbing the specific three and putting the rest in one of her bags. She broke up two of the flowers and grounded up the third. Tossing a few more ingredients in the cooking pot, she tentatively sniffed and stirred. Dasher moved over to sit next Ulla, who was reading a book on transmutation of solid objects.

“Oh hey, Ulla, I didn’t take you for an egghead,” Dasher said, finding a comfortable spot.

“Oh, just brushing up on a needed material,” answered Ulla softly, quite engrossed in the book.

“I am sure,” Dasher muttered, looking around and trying to find something to occupy her time as the two waited for their food. Dasher closed her eyes and listened to the night. Her ears picked up the soft sound of crickets in the distance. The crackling of the fire nearby and the crinkle of a page being turned. Sighing softly, Dasher smiled as she enjoyed the feeling of being on an adventure, with friends.

“Dinner’s ready!” called Nettle, shattering Dasher’s tranquil moment.

“Finally, I am starving,” Ulla said enthusiastically, putting away her book. Nettle withdrew three bowls and a spoon from her cooking saddlebag, dipping out three scoops, and gave the two their steaming portions. She waited anxiously as she watched Dasher and Ulla cautiously take a sip each.

“This is really good, Nettle! Way better than me or Ulla could make with our basic training,” praised Dasher, as she took in another gulp of the delicious soup.

“Thank you. I picked up a few recipes while I was in Appleloosa, a certain buffalo brewer gave them to me. I want to try a few while we are on our journey. Don’t be afraid to critique the food, I am not perfect, and I am bound to have one or two bowls that are trash,” said Nettle shyly, beaming at the compliment. She quickly put away her cooking utensils and sat down next to the two.

“Trust me, it would be better than anything I would be able to make. I am used to living on cold rations for long periods of time from when I was traveling,” said Ulla.

After they finished their dinner, they continued to swap stories, laughing and joking at each other's expense. Sparing a glance at the moon, Dasher’s eyes widened at the time. Getting up and rubbing a few aching muscles, she made an announcement, “As much as I hate to be a party pooper, I believe we should retire for the night. Even though I am enjoying our time, we are still on a mission from Commander Shining. Therefore, as the designated leader of this little ragtag crew, I believe we need to establish watches for the night. Four-hour periods should be enough time for all of us to rest. I will take the first watch. Ulla, you take the second, and Nettle, you can take the third,” concluded Dasher. The other two mares nodded.

Cleaning up, Dasher helped Nettle smother the fire with a long blanket. Finishing all that was needed, Dasher wished the two goodnight and sat with her back to what remained of the heat, watching. With the dying embers finally wearing off, she made her way to the top of the hill, figuring it as the best vantage point to keep a lookout. Getting intentionally in an uncomfortable spot so that she couldn’t fall asleep, she went into a rhythm of sweeping the area with her vision, daring for something to attack.

After a very boring four hours, she got up and passed her watch onto Ulla. “The top of the hill is probably the best spot, if you want,” suggested Dasher after she roused the unicorn.

“Thanks.” Ulla nodded groggily, beginning her ascent upward. Dasher climbed into her own tent and promptly fell asleep.


“So, I have been thinking. I know that Commander Shining wants us to collect all of our forces, but then what?” asked Ulla. They had just finished another wonderful meal by Nettle that night.

“Beats me. He always has a plan. To be honest, even I do not know how many of us there are,” responded Dasher, reclining back on a blanket.

“I bet we are going to attack a major city or something. That is what I would do with everypony,” added Nettle.

“Another thing that has been bugging me is what is happening in the north. I know that Moon Melody and the old General Comet were sent there, but what is really going on over there? Why haven’t we sent more ponies to investigate?” continued Ulla.

“If I recall, it had to do with a nation suddenly popping into existence or something. I believe Moon Melody only wanted herself and a chosen few to investigate. Something about an ancient enemy returning, and him needing to be stopped before his powerful magic could be used against us. The embodiment of evil or whatever, so that’s why she brought only those she could trust,” answered Nettle.

“But all of them? Why not leave a few with us? I know we could definitely use the ponypower,” grumbled Nettle.

“Why does it matter to you, Ulla? I am sure both Commander Shining and Moon Melody had their reasoning,” huffed Dasher, moving to a more upright position and looking at the unicorn.

“No reason in particular. I just find it terribly inconvenient that our best are off doing whatever, when they could be helping us,” replied Ulla defensively.

“Well, if you want to join them up north, I am sure they could use somepony to point out their many dilemmas, as you freeze in frigid cold weather and battle whatever Celestia forsaken things are up there,” muttered Dasher. “I don’t know about you two, but I am exhausted and going to hit the hay. Wake me when it’s my turn. G’night.”

Author's Note:

A new player has joined the battle. Trixie! :trixieshiftright: anyway, some more quality content added. Enjoy!
Ps. This chapter was actually a little harder to edit, but got it working soon enough. Also, today is my 1 year anniversary on the site, so... 🎉