• Published 14th Oct 2019
  • 2,177 Views, 69 Comments

Big Brother Sandbar - HenBasket

  • ...
3
 69
 2,177

Chapter 1: The Stormy Night

Sandbar has just gotten back from the bathroom after taking a shower. He would have taken a longer one, but due to a regularly scheduled thunderstorm, the showers were turned off to protect the students. Annoyed, but not overly upset, he sat at the desk in his dorm room and began to read a comic. It was a Saturday night after spring break, so he didn’t have much to do until the school week started. Sandbar looked outside his window and into the storm. He didn’t know why, but thunderstorms relaxed him.

Just as thunder rolled, he heard a knocking at his door. Confused as he wasn’t expecting any guests, he walked over to the door and opened it. To his surprise, Cozy Glow was standing outside his door, wearing footie pajamas and holding a teddy bear.

“Oh, hi Cozy,” Sandbar said. “Can I help you with something?”

Cozy blushed. “It’s kind of embarrassing for me to admit this, but I’m scared of thunderstorms,” she said bashfully. “Can I spend the night with you?”

Sandbar blinked a couple times. Sure he had chatted with Cozy a few times before, but he really didn’t know her all that well. Not to mention she was a few years younger than he was.

“Uhhh,” Sandbar muttered. “Come in and we’ll talk. How’s that sound?”

Cozy Glow opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by thunder. Eyes widening and pupils shrinking, she blurted, “Soundgoodthanks,” and rushed into the teen’s room.

Closing the door, Sandbar turned around to the filly and kneeled down. “So, you’re scared of thunderstorms?”

The filly nodded.

“Did you ask anypony your age if you could spend the night with them?” Sandbar asked sweetly.

“Yeah, but they told me to ‘grow up’ in some not-so-nice terms. Usually, my roommate lets me sleep in her bed with her, but she’s sick with the pony pox. You’re the next pony I thought of.”

“I see,” Sandbar said, trying to piece things together. “You came to me because the fillies you asked were being bit--uh, mean, and your roommate is sick?”

“Uh-huh,” replied Cozy Glow, hugging her teddy as another roll of thunder echoed outside.

Seeing the filly scared like this hurt Sandbar. He had a little brother who sometimes needed comforting as well. Even though Cozy was a good ten or so years older than his brother, his brotherly instincts wouldn’t allow him to turn her away. He smiled.

“Okay, Cozy. I’ll protect you.” He sat down and gave the filly a hug, who promptly returned it. “Some day, you’re gonna be a big, strong mare, but tonight, you just let me be the grown pony. Alright?”

Cozy didn’t verbally respond, but Sandbar could feel her nod against his chest. The earth pony slowly released his gentle hold on Cozy, as not to startle her and slowly stood up.

“Cozy,” Sandbar asked. “Do you mind if I ask you a couple questions?”

“No, I don’t mind,” Cozy said, gently playing with her teddy. “Go on ahead.”

“Okay,” said Sandbar. “Just let me know if you don’t wanna answer a question. Okay?”

“Mm-hm,” Cozy nodded in response.

“How long have you been afraid of thunderstorms?” Sandbar stroked the filly with his hoof as he asked her his questions.

“Really for as long as I can remember,” Cozy said with a hint of guilt in her voice. “Sounds silly, right? I mean, a pegasus afraid of a little rain? I’m pathetic.”

Sandbar frowned and walked around the filly to look her in the face. “No, Cozy. You are not pathetic, no matter what some mean girls might say. You were actually really brave to ask for help. Got that?”

“You really mean that?” Cozy looked up to the teen who nodded in response. “I wish they told me that at the orphanage…”

Cozy’s last sentence caused his heart to sink. It was one thing to not have parents, but to not be praised by those in place of your parents must be awful. “I’m sorry,” he said. “I had no idea.”

“It’s okay,” Cozy sighed. “Nopony really knows. In fact, when the orphanage heard I wanted to go here, they wouldn’t let me until they heard it was paid for by taxes, and they had dorms here. They practically shoved me out the door then.” Cozy wanted to continue, but she couldn’t. She just broke down crying.

Sandbar laid down next to the crying filly, and put a hoof around her. “It’s okay to cry, Cozy. I’ll be here for you.” When she first appeared at his door, he would rather have been reading his comic, but now he felt content helping the little filly in his room feel safe.

“Sandbar?” Cozy whispered. “Can we do this more often?”

“I’m not sure that’s a good idea,” Sandbar said sympathetically. “I’m about five years older than you, and we aren’t family. Plus, I think you should probably learn to brave thunderstorms by yourself.”

“Does that mean I have to go back to my room?” Cozy asked, voice wavering a bit.

“Only if you want to, Cozy. I’m not stopping you,” Sandbar said, moving his hoof to allow Cozy to leave. “However, I think you should know that there isn’t gonna be somepony to cuddle with every time there’s a storm.”

“Okay, Sanbar,” Cozy said yawning.

“Is somepony ready for bed?” Sandbar asked, slightly teasing, but mostly genuine. The salmon colored filly nodded in response. “Do you want me to lift you, or do you wanna get up by yourself?”

“I’m fine,” Cozy said flatly. However, after struggling to climb onto the mattress, Cozy looked backed and asked for help. “Just don’t tell anypony about this. I don’t wanna be teased forever.”

“Don’t worry, Cozy. I won’t unless you want me to.” Sandbar grabbed Cozy by the nape of her neck and hopped onto his bed. He set her down and made sure her coat was neat. He laid down around her, like a mare protecting her foal, and laid his head next to hers. Cozy fell asleep pretty quickly, but still flinched every time the thunder echoed throughout the school, and with every flinch, Sandbar nuzzled the top of the filly’s head to let her know he was still there. Eventually, he fell asleep too, with the sound of the rain tapering off being the last thing he heard.

Author's Note:

What’s this? Why is it incomplete now? Well, originally I had this planned as a one-off fic, but I started having more ideas. So, this is now going to have more chapters.