• Published 12th Oct 2019
  • 3,942 Views, 411 Comments

All These Midnight Days - Ninjadeadbeard



Reformed and Human, Midnight Sparkle has a whole life ahead of her. Oh... joy...

  • ...
3
 411
 3,942

7.9 - Wednesday Night: Bonus

Author's Note:

For those of you just joining in, a Phantom Update screwed up the notifications, so you probably missed the previous chapter. Go take a look, in case you did. Otherwise, hooray! The Tracking system should be working again.

Thank you, everyone, for reading this story!

Meanwhile…

Celestia smiled, contentedly. She’d forgotten how good cake-flavored ice cream tasted, what with the diet, and all. But, a little indulgence, once in a while, was fine. Right?

She leaned back into the plush leather back seat cushions, and sighed, a weak smile on her face.

“So, you’re not retiring?” she asked.

Disqord, sitting in the front seat, admiring the view from his Fjord Coop, finished off another ear of corn – lathered in chocolate and jalapeno sauce – and chuckled, dryly.

“No, I suppose not,” he said, tossing the cob out the window, and into the darkness of space, “I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t pass on the secrets to cheating at life to another generation of students!”

Celestia snorted, “Now that I can actually remember your real lesson plans, you realize I’m going to be keeping a much closer eye on you?”

“Finally! A challenge!” he grinned, and started fiddling with the radio. He passed through several astronaut communication channels, what sounded like a new Gladmane song – despite the King of Rock being dead for forty years – and some talk radio station from a universe where the only word in any language was ‘cheese’, before finally settling on some Porto Geese network playing a 24-hour marathon of Skullcruncher.

“It’s amazing, really,” Celestia put her feet up on the door of the ancient, black car, “that I’ve gone so long without doing this with you and Luna. Even if I didn’t realize we were hanging out on the moon at the time…”

Disqord smirked, and glanced out over the chalky white landscape. Off in the distance, he could make out where a few of Luna’s previous sandcastles still lay, forlorn and forgotten by their creator, though not by a few crackpot conspiracy theorists on whatever social media platform was the big thing these days.

Beyond those, Luna was simply running and jumping with a pair of mochaccino-flavored snow cones in her hands, enjoying the lowered lunar orbit like she was a student once again.

“Professor?” Celestia’s voice brought his attention back to his boss, sitting in the backseat. “You’re sure that no one who used to be a student of yours outside of Canterlot will cause a problem? Suddenly remembering what really happened?”

“I wouldn’t worry about it,” Disqord said, winking to himself in the mirror, “At worst, the tabloids will finally be interesting for a few days before the story fades away again.

“Most people just want to be normal, for whatever that’s good for!” he continued, shrugging, “No one will say anything, if they can help it.”

“And the ones who can’t? Like Cranky? Or Cinch? Or Sombra?”

“Still don’t want to be called crazy,” he said, eyes spinning briefly as he did so, “Cranky’s a well-known crackpot, Cinch hasn’t been heard from since the Friendship Games, and Sombra…”

He paused, and pulled at his beard.

“Mm. Might have to check in on him…”

While he thought, the two continued in companionable silence. Celestia, again, marveled at being on the moon, not quite believing it, despite taking trips up here with Disqord and Luna so many, many times before.

I think we accidentally left her here once, she chuckled, a bit halfheartedly, to herself, Which probably didn’t do our relationship any favors…

“Tell me,” she prompted, once more, “Did you really get this car from Fermi Apple?”

Disqord smiled, and his eye twinkled.

“Well,” he said, nostalgically, “The bootlegging business wasn’t doing so hot anymore, and he wanted to settle down with his ladyfriend…”

“Granny Smith’s mother.”

Disqord nodded, “Precisely. Fermented was the best TA I ever had! Of course, I helped him out.”

Celestia quirked an eyebrow.

“I did a paper on him in college, for a criminal justice course. Wasn’t he part of the mob…?”

“We all have our pasts,” he responded quickly, “Or do I have to remind you of your Gothlestia phase…?”

Celestia grew very quiet.

Then, she sighed.

“Guess we should head back,” she said, “See if that… purple winged unicorn thing in front of the school has blown anything up yet. I know Sunset will probably handle it, but I worry.”

“And that makes you a great educator,” Disqord nodded, sagely, and revved up the engine, “Also, I believe that was Twilight and Midnight Sparkle, fused together into a pony body.”

“Of course, it was.”

Disqord’s eyes narrowed.

“Hm… Luna appears to be fist-fighting with an astronaut, over there.”

Celestia sighed. Again.

“Of course, she is…”