• Published 15th Dec 2011
  • 10,552 Views, 431 Comments

Discordant Feelings - cartuneslover19



Though the events of Discord are behind them, Twilight still thinks about the spirit of disharmony. Thoughts kept to herself, she realizes t

  • ...
51
 431
 10,552

The Happiest of Birthdays

NOTE: Okay, before reading this, think of ONE Disney movie that would fit this entire story. :)

Okay, NOW go read this chapter! :D
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Guys, please listen to me!" Twilight pleaded to the massive angry crowd before her.

But no one even bothered listening to her, they all assumed her mind had been corrupted by Discord, who stood over Twilight protectively while glares and sneers directed at him.

The moonlight seemed to be fading and darkness seemed to surround them even more as Twilight stood closer to Discord, never daring to break away from his side.

"Listen to me, Twilight!" One shouted. "Discord's totally got you mind-racked!"

"Mind-racked?" The unicorn repeated in utter horror by such an accusation toward her best friend.

"Oh, really, is that all they assume I did?" Discord spoke sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

Twilight's eyes glistened as she gazed up at Discord. The Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony looked down at her, his mismatched eyes assuring her that what he was receiving by her friends and loved ones was much expected. He placed a gentle paw on her backside, soothing her fears just temporarily, encouraging her to resume convincing this large crowd of anger and hatred directed at him for somehow 'mind-manipulating' Twilight to find him.

No...no, they can't hate him! They shouldn't! Were they that upset when she left that note in the library? Did they just assume she had gone crazy due to his magic might have seeped all throughout Equestria and to grab at her mind like a claw to gems? Did they not understand what she saw in him like no one else could?

"Get away from her!" One voice shouted.

Before either knew it, Twilight was grabbed roughly from around her waist, pulling her away from Discord as her dear friend was held back, threatened to be met with a violent encounter as she was taken farther and father away from him.

"Twilight!" Discord cried out. He wanted to use his magic to blow them all away, but that could just make things worse for the both of them.

"Discord!" Twilight screamed.

The unicorn struggled to break free as she was held by her front hooves. Tears poured down her cheeks as she could only stand and watch the terrified, pained creature she called her best friend gaze at her from a few feet away.

She knew they were going to hurt him. Use whatever magic to keep him in his place...bring him back to stone.

"Let me go!" She cried, fighting off the hold on her. "No, please!" She begged. "Please leave him alone!"

"Dude, that wacky Discord's really got her mind drained!" One voice shouted.

"He's going to pay for that! The jerk!" Another voice said.

More tears stung her eyes as Twilight cried out once more to Discord, who just stood his ground.

Suddenly, before she knew it, some bright light emerged. The elements? No, they couldn't be working. She didn't want to use her Element of Magic.

But a bright rainbow emerged from within, heading directly at Discord-

"No!" Twilight shouted, her throat burning with both rage and agony as she saw the familiar look of horror on his face.

This was just as the first time...

"Twilight!" A voice spoke.

"No!" The unicorn kept struggling from the grasp on her. One hold was shaking her shoulder.

"Twilight!"

"No!" She cried again.

With one hoof finally broken free, she swung at whatever held her back.

"No!" Twilight screamed before her head shot out from her pillow.

She panted feverishly, her mane feeling ever so hot over her eyes as she pushed it away. Placing a hoof to her beating chest, she scanned her surroundings, wondering where the angry crowd was, where were they in Ponyville...where was Discord?

Taking a moment to take it all in, she realized she was back in her room in the house of chaos, back in her own bed; she wasn't back in Ponyville and that angry crowd never occurred.

Breathing heavily, she wiped her forehead, which was drenched with sweat. But it continued dripping down her face as her eyes widened in horror.

"Discord?" She cried.

She jumped when she heard a groan and looked over the side of the bed, a furry backside having emerged from the ground. Her look of worry immediately transformed into a smile of relief as she gazed at the Draconequus who turned his front to her, his mismatched hands placed over his face.

Her smile quickly vanished as she wondered desperately what was wrong. "Discord, are you okay?"

He looked down at her, sitting upright in bed and her mane a bit messy. "I was going to ask you the same question," he remarked. He rubbed his jaw with his lion paw. "For a little pony, you sure pack a punch."

Twilight's eyes widened in horror to realize that she had swung her hoof at someone in her dream...

"Oh, Discord!" She exclaimed, her eyes brimming with tears. "I'm so sorry! I just had this horrible dream and I...I didn't mean to..."

Discord stopped rubbing his jaw and gazed down at her, his red and yellow eyes filled with wonder and concern at her, looking as shattered as a mirror that hit the floor.

"Twilight?" He spoke softly, reaching over and placing a lion paw to her cheek. He was horrified to feel how hot she was, and the tears that fell down her face and touching his fur immediately made his heart drop. "W-what's wrong?" He asked quietly. Why was she crying? Did she miss home that much?

The unicorn managed a painful smile as she leaned into his paw, pleading she would never stop feeling his lion paw...and begging never to feel it turn stone.

"Oh, Discord..." She murmured as she placed a hoof against the paw on his cheek. "It was horrible!"

"Tell me," he ordered gently as he slowly removed his paw, much to her disappointment. He sat at the side of the bed and awaited her explanation.

As Twilight spoke about her dream, his curiosity went down to sheer fear and discomfort as she recalled that single event that clouded her mind when she slept. He fiddled with his fingers when she included the scene where they were forced away from each other, and somehow magic was created despite her not using her element. He shuddered when she reached the conclusion.

"Oh, I fought all I could..." Twilight muttered as she lowered her head in shame, her mane covering her tear-stained eyes. "I tried to tell them what goodness you truly had, but they...they wouldn't listen...they just wanted to get rid of you..."

Discord remained silent, a lump in his throat as he regarded the frightened and pained unicorn on the bed. He was just so scared for her at this moment, but her fear was much stronger considering it was for him.

Twilight slowly lifted her head and gazed over at the nightstand beside her. There lay the Element of Magic.

Her eyes squinted as she reached over and held the crown in her shaking hooves. It shone in the light her lamp was providing for the room. Despite it's beauty, Twilight saw it as the ugliest object she had ever had in her possession.

Eyes narrowed, she gripped it with angry hooves, wishing she could break it.

"Harmony, my flank!" She cried out before she swung it at a nearby wall.

Discord's ears lowered in utter shock as he watched the crown hit the wall with a tremendous thump before it fell to the floor with a soft thud. He quickly turned to Twilight, who gathered her knees close to her before laying her head against them, her face covered by her mane.

Ever so slowly, Discord slithered to where the element lay, gently picked it up, and magically popped beside the pained unicorn who didn't even bother to look up at him.

"Come now, Twilight Sparkle," he said soothingly, trying to put the least bit of playfulness into his tone as he held out her crown. "You should treat harmony better than that." He twirled the crown in his fingers, smiling nervously.

Twilight finally raised her head and looked at the crown, then at Discord.

"Not if harmony's going to put you back in that stone prison," she said flatly.

"Well, there's that..." Discord muttered under his breath. He gazed at her, the red pupils in his eyes glistening with plea as he placed the crown back on her nightstand. "Twilight, it was just a dream."

"I know it's just a dream!" Twilight exclaimed. "But what I've read, dreams can mean things! I mean, dreams can mean something for us!" She motioned between them.

"Or dreams can mean the body's way of saying always drink a glass of chocolate milk before going to bed," Discord joked, trying to bring her out of her gloom.

"I'm hoping it's that second one," Twilight swallowed, trying to smile but it hurt. "I just...I just can't imagine what would actually happen...when I take you back and..." Her eyes closed in despair.

"Now, now," Discord assured her as he placed a lion paw finger under her chin and gently raised it up, her eyes now opened to meet his. "There will be conflict, no doubt.

Then he smiled. Twilight's heart rose a bit in gratitude to see him truly smile despite her horrid nightmare.

"But I trust in you that you can make things right for harmony, for your friends..." His smile widened a bit, his nose gently touching her. "For us."

Tears threatened her eyes as a big, painful smile spread on her face.

"For us!" Twilight exclaimed, both her hooves grasping his lion paw, not bearing to let go. "For all of us!"

"There's the confident Twilight I know," he chuckled. He turned and gazed at the crown on her nightstand.

Reaching with his eagle claw, he held it before placing it upon Twilight's head, and she didn't protest, too absorbed in his presence to care.

"True Element of Friendship and Magic," he spoke admiringly, "our friendship and magic."
_

Oh, how beautiful Canterlot looked when the sun began to set...the perfect time of the day for the lanterns to glow in Fancypants' garden party.

Dear Fancypants, how nice of him to invite Twilight to his little gathering when she visited Canterlot. Seemed the other Canterlot ponies were quite thrilled that the young unicorn had temporarily broken away from her studies for the joys and glamours that was her home. And it was good to see Upper Crust and Jet Set again, she hadn't been in much interaction with them; the last time she even spoke to them...she could hardly remember, all she knew was that her parents were much admired by them.

Twilight shifted her hooves shyly as she was regarded with stares of utter amazement and curiosity. Dressed in a green gown that glittered with sashes and lace ribbons; a blouse with silky light green sleeves; her ears dawning earrings that were the shape of leaves; her hair slightly softened down with a bun on top, two green feathers on top as decoration; and green eye shadow brought out the glow in her that made the lanterns look pathetic. As a born Canterlot pony, Twilight knew that style was a must in her sophisticated first home, and this was the best dress she could find in her closet of gowns that would, hopefully, set the mood right. It did more than that; it made her quite a spectacle that served her eyes and intrigued whispers about her astonishing choice of fashion.

This made Twilight feel slightly embarrassed, and her cheeks went a little pink to go with her green eyeshadow. She didn't want to be the center of attention, that was usually either Rarity, Rainbow Dash, or Pinkie Pie's thing. Where her five best friends were exactly, she didn't know...

All that mattered was that her one best friend was here at this party with her, despite what would soon grow into a slight conflict with her other kind.

The unicorn turned as Discord suddenly stood beside her, his posture trying to look as 'sophisticated' as possible, with the exception of the slightly bored look on his face. When his eyes met hers, they were filled with assurance as well as gratitude that she had brought him here to meet among her kind.

Though her kind seemed far from it as Twilight took notice that they trembled at the sight of him suddenly appearing before the party. Twilight sighed, shaking her head before shifting her eyes back at Discord.

Despite being the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony, Twilight could just feel how much he fit here more than any of those Canterlot ponies. He was even dressed more stylish than they were, in his own chaotic way. Twilight's eyes never left the sight of him dressed in a dark, slightly turquoise suit with a white shirt inside; pinned on it was a poison joke. He looked perfectly presentable! The type of non-pony everypony should know! Yet why were these scared Canterlot ponies failing to see what Twilight had seen in him this whole time?

"I'm sorry, Discord..." She whispered to him, feeling the stares break from her to him.

"About what?" He asked cheekily, smirking down at her. "My dear, you brought me to a party." He gazed around the garden, every glance he gave made the Canterlot ponies tremble and look away in fear. "Kind of boring but still!" He lowered his eyes a bit, then snapped his fingers.

Twilight's eyes widened, but braced herself. Suddenly, she heard a tremendous pop, and gazing up, and the others followed, descending down before them was a cotton candy cloud.

However, the sticky treat began to shift form, and before Twilight's eyes, it took the shape of Discord himself. It actually turned out to be a cotton candy fountain, and it was spurting chocolate milk from the mouth of its figure. Discord smiled and conjured a glass before dipping it into the small pool of the created fountain. Lifting it up, he chuckled before raising a glass to the stunned Canterlot ponies before him.

"Would anypony like some chocolate milk?" He asked in a playful tone.

"Um, I'll take a glass," Twilight said nervously, shifting her eyes toward the still-stunned ponies watching him. She swallowed. "Uh, would any of you like some milk as well?"

Suddenly, Upper Crust stomped her hoof against the neatly cut grass, her eyes blazing at the sight of the Draconequus, who raised an eyebrow at her. Twilight shuddered, although the older unicorn's gaze was not directed at her, she could just feel the daggers of her narrowed eyes piercing at her best friend.

"I say! This is an outrage!" Upper Crust shouted as she took a few steps toward both Twilight and Discord.

"Outrage?" Discord asked nonchalantly. "Look, if you don't like chocolate milk..." He noticed his glass was empty. Shrugging, he tossed it over his shoulder, giving no reaction when a loud burst of confetti formed as soon as it hit the ground, startling the Canterlot ponies.

"Oh, do speak no more of this chocolate milk!" The older unicorn snapped. "Simply ridiculous!"

Twilight eye's widened in despair, and she nearly flinched when Upper Crust wheeled toward her. The look on the other unicorn's face slowly faded from fury to slight sympathy.

"Darling, please," Upper Crust said soothingly, pointing a hoof toward Twilight. "It's horrid enough you spend your time with those ruffians from Ponyville, but to frolic with some..." She casted her gaze up and down the sight of Discord, twitching her nose in disgust. "...monster...well, that is simply risky and disastrous!"

The younger unicorn regarded her with a horrified glance before turning to look at Discord, who turned away. Though he had quite an expression to hide such reactions as to what Upper Crust made of him, Twilight could just FEEL the rising self-shame and slight pain in his heart.

"You forgot chaotic," Discord muttered as he slowly trudged away from the two unicorns as well as the rest of the party. Twilight took great note that his tail did not swish as usual; it just laid limp on the ground as Discord dragged it behind him before standing far away from the ponies as possible. Like a an even bigger line had been drawn between and he honored it by giving the frightened, disgusted Canterlot their space. As for Twilight, whom he mentally insisted should spend with her own kind this evening.

Upper Crust turned her nose with a sophisticated grunt. "Serves him right," she stated hotly, earning nods and murmurs or approval. "Monster...only name that will fit him so."

Twilight could not believe her ears, nor her eyes as she watched Discord stand away from them. From her. He could handle so much hate before, but now...now he was in a different light; he was Twilight Sparkle's best friend.

And as a best friend, Twilight would not allow these snooty, uptight, cross ponies she was ashamed to call her own talk about her best friend that way!

"Darling?" Upper Crust sounded, watching Twilight's face become red. "Dear, are you ill? You seem to be running a fever."

Finally, Twilight wheeled toward her, toward the entire group of Canterlot ponies that had acted so harsh toward the Draconequus. That sweet, kind-hearted, generous Draconequus...which they had all referred to as a-

"A monster, huh?" Her voice boomed, startling everypony around her. Her soft purple eyes flashed with fury under the coat of her green eyeshadow as she glared at the other ponies, particularly Upper Crust.

"My goodness!" The other unicorn exclaimed in shock by her outburst.

But Twilight was not done. Sophistication and style by darned, she would not let them talk to her best friend that way. She dug her hooves into the grass as she glared at Upper Crust and the others, fire blazing as much as Celestia's sun.

"I know a monster when a see one!" She spat. She pointed an angry hoof at Upper Crust. "And I see many of them in front of me!"

Discord raised his head and his eyes widened as her heard this, though not as much as Upper Crust and the other ponies as they regarded the young unicorn with horrified expressions. Twilight let out a deep breath, trying to calm herself down after releasing her anger toward these terrible, judgmental ponies. Was there nopony that was considerate enough to see what Twilight saw in Discord?

Of course not.

With that said, Twilight turned on her hooves, head held high as she trailed her green skirts across the grass toward where he best friend stood, joining him on the other side away from the others. Discord kept silent, though his expression showed his utter amazement at her as she smiled up at him.

"Come on, Discord," Twilight spoke softly as she stood on her back hooves and linked an arm around his waist. "Let's get out here and have our own party." She fluttered her eyes at him sweetly. "Your style."

Before she began to drag him away, a voice called out.

"Hold on, dear Sparkle!"

Getting frustrated, Twilight wheeled toward who dared spoke out to her. However, her temper quickly extinguished when Fancypants strolled over to her after emerging from the large crowd. She and Discord exchanged a glance of confusion before turning back to look at him.

He cleared his throat before speaking. "I apologize, my dear, for what your chaotic friend had to endure..." He casted a quick glance up at Discord before turning back to Twilight. "I admit, the presence of the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony here is quite intimidating, but..." He gave a small smile. "If he truly does have a heart of gold as you also possess, then...perhaps we can try to get better-aquainted." He smiled up at Discord.

Twilight blinked. "R-really?" She asked quietly.

"Well, we're not in any danger at all, are we not?" The stallion chuckled. "Ah, yes, in a way, it's actually truly honorable. The Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony...in my party. Oh, the thrill!"

"You're not just saying that, are you, Fancyhooves?" Discord asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Fancypants," the stallion corrected him patiently. "And no, I mean every word." He lifted a hoof up to him. "Please to have you here."

As she watched them shake hand and hoof, Twilight felt her heart beat with utter happiness and excitement. Maybe...maybe there was still a chance Discord...and maybe the others could just see...oh, the joy!

Twilight's eyes slowly fluttered open before finding herself in her room once again. Though she was disappointed that the dream had ended before she got to see Fancypants become more comfortable around Discord, she was grateful, nevertheless. It completely thrashed that horrid first dream she had earlier; this second dream actually gave her assurance as well as hope.

Turning in her bed, Twilight looked over to see Discord lying on the floor atop of a fuzzy rug he must have conjured just for himself. Twilight could only smile as he watched him snore lightly, resting his head against his crossed arms; he appeared like a dog at his finest slumber.

The unicorn stifled her giggle before gazing up at the ceiling, her smile fading a bit.

That was just a dream, just as the first one had been as well. But still...was it possible? Either? Twilight shuddered at the thought of the first dream. Anger and hate and fear...and the second one was just the same, but had received a more positive conclusion. She knew what a kind-hearted stallion Fancypants was, more than half the ponies of her dear Canterlot...but would he able to withstand the sight of Discord's presence?

Twilight let out a sigh before closing her eyes and drifted off to sleep once again.

Thinking of Fancypants brought her to the mere image of Fluttershy...and all her rage when Twilight first brought out Discord's name. If Fluttershy still had that bit of hostility toward him, what hope was there that Fancypants, anypony, could be as considerate?
_

Fluttershy blinked for a few moments, feeling as if something had struck her mind for a few moments then suddenly vanished.

Pinkie Pie came into the bedroom, eating a slice of cake she dubbed her 'after midnight snack'. After another failed day of finding their friend, Pinkie asked Fluttershy is she wanted to stay at her house for the night; have a little slumber party in hopes it would brighten them both despite their long misfortunes. Fluttershy laid on the bed provided to her by the pink pony, a book in her hooves.

"Something wrong?" Pinkie Pie asked as she casted her a glance before jumping into her bed after finishing her cake.

"I...I don't know," Fluttershy said softly. "I had this feeling all of a sudden before it completely left me."

Pinkie raised an eyebrow at her in confusion. "What kind of feeling?"

The butter-colored pegasus turned to her, eyes confused as ever. "Like I suddenly feel somewhat remorseful for something. But I'm not sure what it is. My mind's a little fuzzy just trying to think about it."
_

Twilight made her way across the bridge of gumdrops, wondering where Discord was. She half-hoped for him to pop out of nowhere and scare the living daylights out of her.

Speaking of daylight...Twilight recalled the events of moonlight that had just occurred yesterday. Heart swelling and smile forming on her lips, the unicorn would never forget that wonderful night between her and her best friend.

Best friend...

Twilight Sparkle, best friend to the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony. Seemed like history could just erase all their books because, to Twilight, Discord was truly not a bad character. A little mischievous, but that was one of many things she loved about him. She could get annoyed by it, but she sometimes got back at him for that.

Coming across a nearby tree made of clouds, Twilight took notice of a piece of paper taped to the soft bark. Using her magic to remove it, she scanned it over.

"My dear Twilight Sparkle," she read aloud, "forgive me for not being present right now. I have some business to take care of. Sincerely, Discord."

As soon as she finished reading, a burst of confetti shot out of the note, making her scream out in terror before falling back on her rump.

"That Discord..." Twilight muttered before picking herself up.

However, a small smile formed on her face as she closed the note. Though she was disappointed not to see him for a while, she was curious as to wonder what kind of 'business' Discord had referred to.

Was he going to change seasons? Looking toward the doorway that led to the woods, she saw that it was still snowing.

"Perhaps he's just causing some 'innocent' chaos that is completely out of harm's way from my friends," Twilight told herself as she trotted on.

A few moments later, she laid on her stomach in a patch of grass that was squared off from the snow surrounding her. Before her laid her journal and a few books.

Dear Journal...she wrote.

The bond between Discord and I is much stronger than I had assumed. Our friendship is true and he considers me his best friend. And I believe the feeling mutual.

Her smile deepened as she felt her cheeks flush a bit before she continued writing.

He's just so sweet, a little bit of trouble at times, but still, he's very sweet. I can only hope my friends and family can see what I see...though, I fear when we reach that decision, I'll regret it.

Her smile slowly vanished as she paused a bit, homesickness and slight fear taking over her. Then she continued.

They must see that Discord is actually a nice creature, whose chaos is actually not too bad if used the right way. He had showered me with unusual gifts with his chaos...

Twilight recalled the wings, and reminded herself that that was far from unusual. It was beautiful, actually.

He's taken so much care of me, and while I'm here in this luxury of disorder, my friends are out there still worried for me. I hope they haven't thought I'd gone insane when they read that note I left for them.

She sighed quietly, knowing too well that perhaps Fluttershy would take it the hardest. She was the one Twilight had inflicted a memory-erasing spell on...

Discord and I aren't going to hide in here forever, Twilight wrote.

We'll eventually have to come out and make our way back to Ponyville. And I'll have to do my best to convince them of Discord, to give him a real chance.

The unicorn stopped her quill there, her dream plaguing her mind.

Anger and hate from everyone she loved...the accusation that Discord was still the same dark spirit he was...losing him while she remained helpless...seeing him turn into stone-

"No," Twilight let out a squeak of despair as her eyes tightened. "I can't lose him." Tears stung her eyes as her magic gripped the quill harder. "I can't lose my best friend..."

She needed to stop thinking so negative. It was just a nightmare. She had read that things in reality can be alternated, become different than what was dreamt. She needed to believe that.

Sniffing and allowing her tears to dry up, she continued the rest of her journal entry.

I'm going to protect him no matter what.

For all I can say, is that he makes me happy, and I just know he'll make the others happy if they can just see who he truly is.

Putting her quill down and closing her journal, Twilight looked over the books she brought along. One was just some romantic story she was almost done with, the other was-

"Why am I even still reading The Tale of Discord?" She asked herself as she opened that book up. "I've already proven it wrong."

She read over a passage she came across and decided to re-read it.

"Nonpony remained safe from his chaos," she read aloud, "his joy of causing unrest and unhappiness reached no limit as his powers created the unbelievable, scaring the ponies, Earth or sky."

She let out a sigh of exasperation, wondering if she should just put the book down and return to her romance novel. However, before she was about to do so, another paragraph, one she didn't seem to take full notice of before, became visible to her eyes.

"Chaos was his only friend," she read aloud.

His only friend...

Her eyes widened a bit as she read on. "Being more attached to his chaos and mischievous troubles, the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony found no need for...social encounters."

She let out a gasp, placing a hoof on her lips before reading on.

"However, every year, ponies everywhere were well aware of his birthday when cake fell from the sky...made of pebbles that it was a hailstorm that everypony needed to run for cover. That was his gift to him every year."

Unable to read anymore, Twilight put down her book. She blinked a few times, staring into space.

"His birthday..." Her voice trailed off quietly before she stood up and gazed at the sun-filled sky.

Of course even someone like Discord had a birthday, but Twilight wondered how he, even before his first imprisonment, had celebrated such a cherished day. That passage gave her the answer, though it wasn't a nice one.

She recalled her own birthday; well, she had two, actually, which was the Canterlot ponies', especially Fancypants, way of apologizing for not realizing she was one of their own and they were quite critical on her special day. That wonderful party had been filled with love, happiness, music, and fun, and it was with friends and family. Even more friendships were formed that day, and thus more were seemed to be considered family as well.

But Discord...he had no friends, no family, just his own fun for only him and himself only. Those innocent ponies back then had some part in his 'festivities' but that hardly counted...

Discord admitted he had fun back then causing trouble, but he also admitted he was regretful...sad even.

He had been alone for so long, every birthday must have been more painful than the last deep down in his heart. And with every birthday that had passed when he was encased in stone...

"When was his birthday, anyway?" Twilight wondered, tapping a hoof to her chin. "I wonder if he knows when my birthday was..."

Shrugging a bit, Twilight used her magic to pick up her things and walked back toward the house.

She was a little bit grateful Discord was on 'business'. She had some business of her own as well.
_

"Good morning, sunshine..." Applejack muttered as Rarity joined her side as they made their way toward Sugarcube Corner where the others would be. The apple farmer seemed a bit down, and Rarity showed more of it just as well as her mane drooped a bit.

"What's so good about this morning?" Rarity sighed. "Oh, this week had been simply dreadful! How much longer are we to pursue this torturous quest before Twilight is safely back with us?" She exclaimed dramatically.

"We'll have to just see," Applejack sighed as they made it toward the bakery. "No matter what."

They came toward the door just in time to see Rainbow Dash fly down to join them, her expression as miserable as theirs.

"Morning..." She muttered.

"Hey..." The other two greeted quietly before they entered the shop.
_

Twilight's horn glowed as she summoned a cotton candy cloud that drifted near the kitchen area. Oh, how she adored the kitchen Discord had created. It reminded her of her parents' kitchen back in Canterlot: yellow-white walls, marble floors, gleaming tables and appliances, and there was a window that showed the outside of the woods where snow still covered the grass around them.

Putting her journal and other items away, Twilight knew what she had to do to keep herself busy, while, on the other hoof, to give the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony, her best friend, to make up for so much time he had spent alone and unhappy. And she knew exactly what that would be.

Cotton candy cupcakes.

How could she forget that one day in Ponyville, when she and Pinkie Pie were baking together, the thought of Discord invaded her mind when the pink pony showed her some leftover cotton candy the Cakes bought? It really frightened as well as annoyed Twilight, however, in the end, the memory proved useful as she was quite complimented for her original recipe of cotton candy cupcakes.

She could remember the adorable sparkle in Spike's eyes when he first devoured her dessert. How hungry and happy he was! The sudden memory pained Twilight a bit...

But enough about Spike, time to make cupcakes! Haired tied back in a bun, Twilight's magic opened a nearby cabinet and she pulled out a baking pan, some frosting tubes she was lucky to find, and other important ingredients.

Hard at work, Twilight scooped as much cotton candy as she could into her bowl before she began bringing out the flour and eggs, mixing all of it together before placing an amount one-by-one on the pan.

"Just like back in Sugarcube Corner," she said simply as she placed the pans into the golden oven.

As she set up the heat, the unicorn smiled proudly before trotting over to a nearby table where a single book lay; the romance novel she was dying to finish before the day was done. Sitting on a chair, front hooves resting on the table, Twilight used her magic to open the book to the right page.

As she read, the passages seemed so 'soft-spoken', almost like a lullaby. She was, indeed, a bit sleepy. Raising the moon so early had its disadvantages...
_

Scootaloo let out a yawn as she leaned against Upper Crust for support, her little legs still feeling tired. Last night, she stayed up most of the night exploring Fancypants large house with her fellow Crusaders. They nearly got lost, but at least they knew what a kitchen looked like. They assumed that since the moon had risen so early, they had the liberty to stay up late without any of the adults knowing. They didn't realize how late it really was before they trudged back to their beds, only getting a few hours of sleep.

Discord shifting the sun and moon really messed up their sleep cycles, as the little pegasus nearly fell on her stomach from near sleep.

"Oh, you're not alone..." Upper Crust sighed, slowly blinking tiredly before turning to Zecora, who had a sleeping Apple Bloom on her back.

"Perhaps the sun should have come hours after," the zebra sighed, "for the sleep deprived has stirred a little disaster."

"I bet this is what Discord planned to have..." Upper Crust growled. "Oh, poor Twilight Sparkle...probably tired, afraid to sleep..."
_

Twilight moaned as her eyes slowly opened, finding her chin resting upon her finished book on the table. Letting out a yawn, she stretched out her hooves as she wrinkled her nose. She seemed to have fallen asleep after reaching the conclusion of her story.

"How long did I sleep?" She muttered, rubbing her head.

Suddenly, she sniffed the air.

"Is something cooking?" She pondered. Then she let out a laugh. "Oh, of course! I was!"

Her eyes shot open in realization before turning her back in horror toward the oven, which was spurting out a huge cloud of smoke from within.

"The cupcakes!" She screamed.

Rushing over to the oven, her magic holding a fire extinguisher, she immediately drew out the flames as they danced upon the stove. Frantically, she grabbed a baking glove before slamming the oven door open and quickly reached to grab her tray.

"Ow, hot!" She cried as she quickly dropped it to the floor.

Her cupcakes endured a merciless torture, every single one of them burnt and smoking that it made the air smell disgusting.

"Oh, no..." Twilight murmured in despair, placing her hooves on the sides of her face. "No, no, no..."

All she wanted to do was give Discord a little surprise, make up for every lonely birthday he had and missed while he was stone! Just prove how much a best friend she was to him and vice versa! She wanted everything to be perfect!

But, like most plans she had in the past, this was another item to put on her list of total disasters and failed expectations...

The unicorn shook her head sadly. She needed to make a new batch quick! She turned her side to retrieve that cotton candy cloud once more-

-and bumped face-first into a furry chest.

Her eyes widened in pure horror before they gazed up into the face of the celebrant she wanted to dearly to please.

Discord gazed down at her with confused eyes as she pulled away from his chest, her eyes showing so much embarrassment and shame.

"Uh, Discord..." She played with her hooves nervously. "Back so soon from...whatever it is...that you're doing?" She tried to smile but it hurt.

"What happened?" He asked as he turned toward the tray of burnt cupcakes on the floor.

Twilight knew any intellectual explanation, aka a lie, was too late now, and she let out a deep sigh before dropping her head.

"Happy late, very late, birthday..." She muttered.

Discord's eyes widened a bit. "Say what?"

"Oh, Discord," Twilight moaned before turning toward the burnt tray. "I only realized now it's been so long, and even before becoming stone, much longer, that you've must have never gotten a proper birthday greeting in your life!"

"My birthday?" Discord repeated. "What were you...?" His voice trailed off, feeling something in him swell a bit.

"Well, considering this doesn't even come close to that light show last night," Twilight muttered as she gazed at hr ruined confections. "Some birthday present this turned out to be..."

"Present?" He repeated in disbelief. "For me?" He blinked down at her.

"Well, why not?" She gave a small smile. "You've been so good to me this past week. And you even led me to discover the joys of flying!" Her eyes sparkled. "Oh, Discord, I just really wanted to do something for you in return, and after I read that passage in the book about how every single birthday of yours-"

"They added that in there as well?" He scoffed, rolling his eyes. "Oh, amateur writers..."

"But still..." She lifted her eyes up to him. "Every birthday you had...none of them were happy ones, were they?"

Her soft tone made something deep down inside him tighten like a knot as her winced. He never really gave thought to his birthdays, in fact, he thought about just banning himself from ever having a birthday again. But since Twilight came...perhaps there was still such a thing as a 'happy birthday' now that she was with him? His best friend...

"Based only on how you see it," he replied calmly, folding his mismatched arms and turned his head slightly, trying to seem nonchalant on the subject. "That was a long time ago, anyway..."

Twilight just gazed at him, her eyes saddening. "Still, wouldn't it have been wonderful to be given a proper happy birthday greeting? Kind, thoughtful words directed at you? Friends to share such a day with?"

He turned toward her, and by the expression on his face, Twilight knew she hit a nerve. He had a hand it to her, she was a smart pony, and was able to dig deeper into others, including himself.

"I will be honest," he muttered under his breath, "compared to my birthdays, that recent party dedicated to you makes the gala look even more unappealing."

"What?" She asked in confusion. "Party dedicated to me? Huh?"

"Oh, come on," he gave her a toothy grin, "remember I was not stone, I was hidden among you ponies. I kept hidden when I saw your fantastic garden party back in Canterlot." He smirked. "Quite a dancer you are."

Twilight immediately blushed, her eyes widening. "That was completely unlike me!" She retorted hotly. "And I ate so much sugar during that day." She huffed, flipping her mane to indicate her Canterlot origin. "But we both know I'm an organized, sophisticated, highly-studious being of Canterlot."

"Who double and triple checks her lists, it's crazy," he chuckled, "and, would deepen into insanity when things aren't meant-"

"Drop the doll event!" She barked, barring her teeth angrily at him, making him laugh even more.

"Oh, this is quite a birthday gift, indeed, Twilight Sparkle!" He laughed, wiping a tear from his eye.

Though she was fuming, Twilight couldn't hold her glare much more as she found her lips forming into a smile. A satisfied, grateful smile as she saw Discord laugh.

"Still..." She turned back toward the burnt tray. "I really wanted to give you cotton candy cupcakes..."

Discord smiled, his eyes softening. Snapping his fingers, the tray floated between them.

"Then let's make some more," he insisted.

Twilight just couldn't argue with him as her eyes softened while gazing at him.

Definitely a happy birthday on his part.
_

Spike trudged through the snowy streets, wearing a wool cap and scarf, greeting passerby ponies with his best smile. He had bought a new supply of quills and ink earlier and made it toward the library's front door. Entering, he placed his garments of a nearby table before putting away the items he purchased.

"There..." He sighed, trying to resume his smile. "Twilight will be so proud when she sees...this..."

He swallowed hard, recalling so well how the unicorn's eyes would sparkle when he would surprise her with new supplies for her work. Her smile, her thanks, her presence itself...

Spike quickly avoided the inner pain as he grabbed a nearby duster and prepared to clean the library once more. Just as he was about to start cleaning, his eyes caught sight of something on the desk. Curiously, Spike edged closer and his eyes widened a bit.

On the desk was a cupcake. It was brown with yellow bits on top, and it immediately rid of any worry Spike had in him.

"So delicious..." He muttered, his mouth drooling before dropping his duster and reached over and grabbed the cupcake.

Perhaps Pinkie had left it for him before she went with the others to start a new day? He simple shrugged and bit into it hungrily. Chewing, he was quite astounded by the new flavor he was tasting.

"Almost like there's cheese in here," he said thoughtfully.
_

Twilight smiled up at Discord as the glow faded from his lion paw, having already sent a cupcake on its way to a friend back in Ponyville. She only hoped Spike wouldn't get sick if he didn't like the flavor...

The cupcakes turned out more beautiful than the last batch as they laid on a golden tray on the counter. The unicorn's smile could not get any bigger as she saw a few more trays beside the one they just finished baking. While she and Discord did make her lovely cotton candy cupcakes, he included some of his own creations. She still gagged a bit about the cheese he grated into some of them, especially on those in which he used chocolate milk instead of regular.

While she couldn't send a cupcake to everyone, she did send one to a few friends that needed it the most at this moment, especially Spike.

"He'll eat anything," she rolled her eyes, "even if it came straight from the garbage."

"Nice kid you got there," Discord chuckled, fiddling with his lion paw.

Twilight just smiled at him before pushing the tray of cotton candy cupcakes toward him. Discord returned the smile before reaching down and sampling one.

"Do you like it?" She asked meekly.

"Like it?" He asked as he chewed. "My dear, it's absolutely delicious."

"Yes!" Twilight cheered, raising her hooves up.

She had wondered so long, the first time she had baked cotton candy cupcakes, exactly what Discord would think if he had ever gotten to sample them. And right here, which occurred just seconds ago, she got her answer.

The unicorn felt so elated that she didn't realize she was skipping in circles like a little filly, not noticing Discord watch her in utter fascination.

"Yes!" She exclaimed again, continuously hopping. "Yes! Yes! Yes! Ye-"

She quickly cut herself off, realizing how ridiculous she must have looked right now, with Discord watching. She immediately landed back on her hooves before turning to him, her cheeks red as she winced in complete embarrassment.

Discord could barely hide the smirk that played on his lips as he regarded her with mischievous eyes.

"Talk about taking approval well," he chuckled.

Twilight's blush deepened before standing up straight, trying to keep her posture.

"So, uh..." She cocked her head. "Happy birthday then?"

Discord simply smiled, ever so sweetly. "I'll let you know about that as soon as I show you something."

She raised an eyebrow. "What?"

He just smiled before motioning her with his lion paw. Still confused, she walked over and stood close by his side.

"Remember my note that said I had business to work on?" He asked.

"If by business you mean your usual chaos," Twilight chuckled.

"Not entirely chaos," he murmured before snapping his fingers.

Before Twilight knew it, a bright flash engulfed them. In a few moments, her hooves felt a hard surface.

Blinking from the recent transport, Twilight took her time to realize where they were.

For a moment, she thought she was back in the castle back in Canterlot, but no, this place still held a discordant touch.

It was a massive ballroom, almost resembling the one from the gala. Its walls shone with gold and many windows had the sun shine through them. Twilight's eyes glazed over her surroundings, her jaw falling slightly as she took it all in. Gazing down at the floor, she could make out her reflection in the beautiful marble art.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Discord asked, admiring his work. "It's something I've made for myself every birthday after messing around with ponies. This is a place where I would spend the remaining of my birthday in."

Twilight looked back toward him. "What exactly do you do?"

"Why, not much," he shrugged, "just walk around, lounge on a cotton candy cloud high toward the ceiling, or just eat cake." He averted his eyes. "Considering I was the only one in here, it was kind of boring..."

Twilight just stared at him, a little saddened by his statement.

But he brightened up as he looked back at her.

"But now..." He smiled gently. "Now I got someone to share it with. Because, if you're not fully-aware, it's not just my birthday that is worth celebrating this instant."

She raised an eyebrow. "What are you talking about?" She asked. "Who else's birthday is there to celebrate? I mean, there's only you and me-"

Twilight immediately cut herself off as she finally absorbed in the realization of what exactly he was talking about. Her eyes widened as she continued staring at him, his smirk never ceasing at her expression.

"O-oh..." Twilight said, smiling nervously, her cheeks flushing with slight embarrassment. "Oh, wow...you didn't have to-"

Discord quickly cut her off as he placed the tip of his lion paw finger against her lips to shush her. Twilight immediately silenced as he did so, her eyes gazing at the finger pressed so gently against her mouth. She looked up at him, who just smiled.

"Happy birthday, Twilight Sparkle," he said.
_

"Didn't we already look through the Everfree Forest for the thousandth time?" Applejack asked as they trudged through thick bushes and large trees.

"Thousandth time might be the charm," Rainbow Dash muttered as she flew past the others. "Besides, we already looked in the fields, and on the mountain for hours!"

"Oh, why is it simply impossible to find him?" Rarity huffed as she flipped her mane. "At least let there be a sign that he's still among us with our poor friend."

Suddenly, it felt as if someone had turned off a light switch as the light of Celestia's sun immediately flashed away, and before Rarity knew it, taken by surprise by the sudden change, tripped over a branch in the unexpected darkness before falling face-first into a puddle of mud.

"Oh, you got to be kidding me!" Rainbow Dash cried out to the night sky. "Seriously! Again? He raised the moon early again?"

Rarity lifted her head up from the mud puddle, rage visible all over he face as mud dripped her from mane and muzzle.

"Not the sign I wanted..." She growled under her breath.
_

Discord gazed at himself in the mirror, raising an eyebrow at his reflection. Grooming had never been a big deal for him before, but considering this night of all nights...

Though his expression didn't show it, he was a little nervous for some reason. Why was confidant him so nervous?

Maybe because, after a thousand years, he had something he just didn't want to lose. He wanted to actually impress?

Well, he wanted to. Really wanted to. Twilight Sparkle...she was his best friend, his only friend for that matter.

And tonight, both would celebrate each other's birthdays. How coincidental that she thought of his while he, indeed, thought of hers! He recalled back in Canterlot during that garden party, the usually poised, intellectual unicorn he knew from the day they met...and what a party animal she appeared to be! Not giving a care to who saw her dance like a maniac, her hooves shifting, her head bobbing, all that in some simple yellow dress with a pink ribbon on it...

But tonight, this particular birthday for both of them, there was going to be something different. Discord knew so as he stroked his beard in front of the mirror. After a few moments, he smiled at his reflection.

"My best friend..." He told himself. "Celebrating our birthdays together...I'm the luckiest being in the world."
_

Unlike Discord, Twilight was frantically digging into her closet, desperately searching for a dress to wear. She was starting to act like Rarity!

"Oh, the dress has to be perfect!" She exclaimed as she used her magic to throw one gown onto the bed, followed by another. "This is Discord's birthday in over a thousand years and I can't bear to ruin it!" Then she paused. "Well, it's my birthday as well, but I can't ruin that either!"

Rushing over to her mirror, Twilight checked her face, running a hoof down her cheek before staring at her mane. She let out a desperate cry before running over to her library and searched through books.

"How should I style my mane?" She exclaimed as she flipped through pages. "Or should I wear a hat?" She slammed the book down. "No, wearing a hat would be rude and a sign of hiding eye contact!"

She rushed all over the room, nowhere near being prepared as she checked from dresses, her reflection, and her other books. As she rushed back to the closet, she tripped over her traveler bag and fell face-first onto the floor.

Sighing, Twilight turned her head to gaze at the clock. And hour and half...that wasn't enough time for her!

Quickly picking herself up, Twilight placed her hooves to her forehead, trying to think. Her mind went back to the night of her parents' party in Cloudsdale...that red and gold dress she wore as she became the center of attention.

Red and gold dress.

Gazing into space, Twilight knew that that was dress that would fit so well into this special night. Because she made that dress because of Discord. If only she had that dress...

Twilight bit her lip, tapping a hoof to her chin. A certain spell could work, but she still needed more work on it!

Gulping, Twilight braced herself as her horn glowed a faded red. "It'll be just like that time traveler's spell..." She told herself calmly. "Oh, I hope I get this right!"
_

Spike made sure all lights in the library were on as he finished his chores. The moon having risen early again really startled him earlier as he had tripped over a some books in the process. Why did Discord raise the moon again, anyway? Fear? Scare Twilight more?

The baby dragon only sighed before he trudged up the stairs to Twilight's bedroom, intending to clean her bedsheets; she would be so thrilled to see how much effort he put into keeping her room clean. That is, if she would ever see it.

As Spike fluffed the pillows, lost in his thoughts, he couldn't help but feel a certain presence among him. He tried to ignore it, but then he heard the sound of something 'flashing'...

Wheeling around, Spike was too late to witness what had just occurred behind him. Though he managed a few seconds to see a bright light before it disappeared completely. The room was in no way changed at all. Nothing was out of place or anything...

"What just happened?" He gulped uneasily.
_

Discord slowly emerged from his room, walking turning a corner down the hall as he reached the stairs that led down to the main entrance of the grand ballroom. Honestly, dressing 'sophisticated' and 'gentleman-like' was pretty difficult, but he managed as he adjusted his suit.

Dressed in a dark blue suit jacket with a white ruffled shirt beneath it, his beard brushed and his hair slick as ever, Discord caught sight of something so bright at the bottom of the stairs.

Stepping down, he realized it was Twilight. The unicorn nervously tapped a hoof on the floor with a red, glittering slipper as she bit her lip; she seemed nervous. As he got closer, he took great sight of the dress she wore.

Red and gold. He hadn't seen that dress since he snuck by her house to place that basket of fruity pastries on her doorstep. But her mane, it wasn't tied back as he had during that night. Part of it flowed down in slightly curls, and a bun was held on top, which worked so much better with her dress.

His eyes widened a bit at the sight, but he quickly cleared his throat before standing up straight and approached her.

Twilight merely squeaked in surprise when she saw Discord come up behind her. But she was even more surprised by his attire. For such a chaotic being, he actually looked quite...organized.

As Discord stood before her, he gave his usual smirk. "I don't suppose you have a checklist in mind, do you?"

"Of course not!" Twilight responded hotly, giving him a slightly irritated look. Then her expression melted into one of absolute worry and fear. "Did I need one?" She gulped.

"Considering it's also your birthday," he chuckled, "no."

"Okay, fine," Twilight rolled her eyes. "But I got a list up here just in case." She tapped a hoof to her forehead.

"I might have to get your mind off that," he said with a grin as he offered his arm to her, "get this birthday started, huh?"

Twilight just chuckled, shaking her head in exasperation before standing on her hind legs and linked a hoof around his arm. They both descended down another flight of stairs.

"Keep in mind," she rambled on, "I'm still quite upset you raised the moon so early. Again." She gave him a disapproving look.

Discord smirked, raising an eyebrow at her. "If that's the case, I'll raise the moon more often."
_

"So this is basically swiss cheese with chocolate sauce over it?" Twilight asked.

Discord chuckled as he gazed at her from across the dining table. As soon as they had descended down the stairs, he conjured up the entire dinner set before them. Twilight was quite impressed by the first plan of the night, though she was even more astounded when he actually pulled her seat for her. They ate and talked, and Discord took it in stride when she discussed the difficulty her friends would go through of another 'early night'. But it was all fun and simple pleasure from there.

"Too delicious for your taste?" He asked with a smirk.

"Of course not," she shrugged as she sampled it on her plate. "How am I not surprised that half of what we're eating pays justice to cotton candy and chocolate?"

"Don't forget to take a nibble on the gumdrop cookies," he held another smirk as she picked one up. "You'll find it quite...surprising."

Twilight felt quite a chill when he said that, but she bravely looked at the cookie in her hoof, gumdrops glistening off it, and opened her mouth.

POP!

"Whoa!" She cried as she nearly toppled back in her seat. Confetti and streamers fell onto her plate.

Discord could barely hold his laughter as he leaned back in his seat. "Oh, you should see the look on your face!"

"You're lucky it's your birthday as well," she muttered, running a hoof down her mane.

Finally, after several moments and she felt she had her fill, Twilight slowly lifted herself up from her seat and gracefully walked over to Discord. The Draconequus was quite confused by her action, even more so when her hooves grasped his lion paw, asking for him to get up.

"What are you doing?" He asked as he stood from his seat, being slightly pulled by the smiling unicorn.

"What every birthday needs," she said simply as she brought him toward the center of the ballroom. "Dancing."

His eyes widened a bit, but then he nodded. "Oh, alright," he scoffed, "so should I or you start the shuffle?"

"Not that dancing," she snapped as she rolled her eyes. "Like how they do in the gala..."

"That kind of dancing?" He asked in disbelief. "Though I'm quite a natural at that sort, that style isn't much my taste." And he checked his lion paw to indicate his boredom on the matter.

"Please, Discord," she begged, "it's my birthday, too."

Discord gazed into those pleading purple eyes of hers. Sighing in defeat, he lifted up a hand to her.

Before he knew it, Twilight grasped his lion paw with one hoof, and her other was gently placed on his side, considering she his height towered over hers. Discord didn't even realize that his lion paw grasped her hoof while his eagle claw was pressed to her side as well.

Twilight beamed, proud that this was turning out exactly as she had read in one of her books on 'perfect ballroom dancing'. Suddenly, her eyes widened in realization.

"Music!" She exclaimed. "We need music!"

Discord smirked. "Not a problem." And temporarily removing his paw from her hold, he snapped his fingers.

Across the room, there appeared a stereo system that blared soft, melodic music.

"Boring, isn't it?" He asked her.

"But it fits," she countered as she grasped his paw once more.

The dance started out a little difficult, Discord's mismatched feet keeping up with Twilight's hooves as they tried to go in rhythm; he was actually messing up on purpose just to annoy her.

Though that quickly ceased as he suddenly found himself in exact tune with her ability as they glided across the ballroom. Twilight was amazed by how quickly be picked up as her body soared as he became the guide in this dance.

Slow but upbeat, mesmerizing yet fun. If this were the gala or any special event...

"This dance seems so old as time itself, doesn't it?" Discord asked, pretending to give a yawn.

"Well," she rolled her eyes as they continued dancing, "true as it can be..." she agreed half-heartedly.

Discord took notice that her eyes lowered as they gazed into his, her smile soft as her gold and red dress. He found himself pressed against her as she embraced him while still holding his lion paw.

"I'm glad to do it with my best friend," she said softly.

Hearing that, and while doing this, Discord couldn't hold back his grin.

This was the best birthday ever.
_

"How can you guys fall asleep at a time like this?"

Scootaloo managed to crack on eye open and looked over at the bewildered Pipsqueak while she nuzzled close by her fellow Crusaders. The adults were in deep conversation regarding the situation of an early moonrise once again, Upper Crust being the most upset, leaving the kids to fall to their sleep.

However, Pipsqueak, wearing his 'Element of Magic and Friendship' upon his head, looked down at the three slumbering girls disapprovingly.

"We're too tired," Sweetie Belle murmured sleepily.

"Looks like that mean ol' Discord really is effecting us," Apple Bloom yawned. "With his moving the sun and moon and all..."

"Wake me when he brings up the sun," Scootaloo said as she went back to sleep.

Pipsqueak fumed a bit, however, it was quickly replaced by a yawn he couldn't fight. He couldn't fall asleep just yet! But the nighttime...the glorious moon serving as a mesmerizing object of a lullaby for his eyes...maybe he could close his eyes a bit...

"But Twilight..." He murmured sleepily, feeling his legs give out as he laid sprawled on the ground. "She...she needs us..." And he suddenly fell asleep with the other kids.
_

The duo laughed as they made their way out onto the balcony, which seemed quite unusual to Twilight because she never assumed the house of chaos was that big. But this was Discord's doing, so she didn't let it get too into her head.

"Don't ever make me shuffle in this dress again," she told him in a warning, yet playful tone as they stood before the night sky.

"Why not?" He countered with a smirk. "You never tripped once."

"Still, I could rip at the seems any moment if I did that!" She shot back.

"Oh, quite worrying, worry-wart," he rolled his eyes as he turned toward the stars.

Twilight let go of her anxiety before gazing at the moonlight sky, ever so absorbed by its beauty. She sighed happily, loving how it fit so well to this special night for both of them.

Together, they sat down on the walls that protected them from the edge of the balcony and smiled at one another. Through arguments and and mixed opinions, there was joy, happiness, and the powerful magic of friendship that had formed between them not too long ago.

His best friend...her best friend...

Though Twilight was happy that they reached that point in their changed relationship, her smile faded a bit as she looked back toward the scenery before her. Trees, snow, and more tress...how far was she from home?

As if reading her mind, Discord sighed and lowered her head.

"Twilight," he began quietly, "there's something I haven't been entirely honest to you about."

The unicorn snapped out of her trance before turning to him. "Haven't been entirely honest?" She repeated.

He shifted his eyes toward her, looking so ashamed, the same expression she had seen during that one night when he let all his regrets out.

"You'll go pony rage again once I tell you this," he muttered.

"Oh, come on," she pushed, "that was the poison joke talking." She placed a hoof to his side, gazing at him with pleading eyes. "Please...tell me."

Seeing those begging eyes of hers, Discord sighed and averted his.

"You know how this entire place seems so...border-lined?"

She raised an eyebrow. "Border-lined?"

"How you can't seem to find nothing but just nature and stuff?" He went on.

"Uh, yeah?" She wasn't sure what he was getting at.

"And how I've been so easily hidden among you ponies?" He added.

Her eyes widened a bit. "How...?"

"I used a spell that kept this area secure, no matter where we are," he said regretfully. "You actually having come so far. When I noticed how close you were to the border of where my hidden place was, I was quick to allow you entrance. If I hadn't you would be walking right through it until you reached another town."

Twilight blinked, progressing everything he said. "So you...?"

He looked toward her with sad eyes. "We're actually not far from Ponyville," he confessed. "We're in seclusion where no one can ever find it nor gain any idea that it actually exist. Like in our own little world."

The unicorn's mouth fell. Home wasn't so far away! And her friends!

"I am ready to face your fury, Twilight Sparkle," Discord said, though a little too dramatically as he gazed up at the sky. "Feel free to punch me on purpose this time."

Twilight just gazed at him. She raised her hoof...but she placed it under his chin.

Discord found himself gazing at her once more, her eyes glistening.

"You had to do what you did," she told him softly, "if you didn't, my friends would have caught up to you by now, and I...I would have never found you first..." She swallowed, tears stinging her eyes. "And we...we would never have this..." She motioned between them.

"I was actually half-expecting that from you," he said nonchalantly, "can't blame a guy for protecting himself."

"I don't blame you for anything," she spoke softly, her hooves never leaving his face. "Discord...you're my best friend." She smiled. "And as your best friend, I want you to end this hiding away."

His eyes widened at her suggestion but she went on.

"Discord..." She began. "I think it's time to face the music," she said simply, though painfully.

"Won't your friends...?" He began.

"They'll be mad, I know," she bit her lip. "But we can't hide away forever. I miss them, and Discord..." She gazed into his eyes. "I'd miss you if you didn't come with me."

Her pleading eyes...Oh! Her pleading eyes!

"Please, Discord," she begged him.

Discord just remained in place as she gazed at him. Her muzzle gently touched his, being such a supportive, determined best friend as she could as she nuzzled him.

"Don't think I'm not scared about this," she confessed. She placed a hoof above his face. "No matter what, I'll protect you from their wrath." She sniffed. "I promise."

The Draconequus thought it over for a moment. Here sat Twilight Sparkle, Element of Magic and Friendship, unlike any pony he's ever met. Kind, strong, determined, and ever so caring. She risked a lot just to find him, and she stood by his side, searching through his mask of a broken spirit that wanted more than just unleashing chaos.

She was his best friend, and she was there for him no matter what, even if it was highly disapproved under the eyes of her friends and loved ones.

Who was he to doubt her? Especially on her birthday?

Discord gave a soft smile, placing a lion paw against the hoof on his face. His mismatched eyes gazed into his best friend's pleading ones.

"I know you do," he told her gently, thankful for the moonlight that draped over them as he could see her much better. "I trust you, Twilight Sparkle."
_