• Published 15th Dec 2011
  • 10,538 Views, 431 Comments

Discordant Feelings - cartuneslover19



Though the events of Discord are behind them, Twilight still thinks about the spirit of disharmony. Thoughts kept to herself, she realizes t

  • ...
51
 431
 10,538

We Found Fun

Discord slithered beside the slightly open doorway of Twilight's room, gazing through the crack to see how the unicorn was doing. He just knew she would be awake at such an early hour as he watched her walk toward her library; he didn't feel the need to sleep much longer as well, but he still wore his blue and gold night cap as the unicorn herself still wore her red night gown. He suppressed a chuckle as he watched her use her magic to not only pick out a book but also summon a brush as she ran it through her soft mane.

He smiled as he turned away from the doorway, deciding to give her space. He would find a moment to invade it later in the morning. He could just hear those sweet, honest, heart-pleasing words echo in his brain.

As if I'm going to leave you when things between us have just begun so well!

Those words...those kind, thoughtful words...Truth in discreet, he would have been a bit crushed if Twilight accepted his permission for her to go back to her friends. Though he was good with hiding his vulnerability, he knew the loneliness would still leave its effect on him.

He had been alone in his stone prison for the last thousand years. He had been alone even before that.

But Twilight...

The Draconequus snapped his fingers and in a few moments he flashed atop the bridge that stood above the river of gumdrops. Resting his head against his lion paw on the rail and gazing into space, Discord recalled the events that led to his surprise of the unicorn's insistence to stay.

That unicorn started out as a stubborn thing, coming all this way in the forest, leaving her friends and loved ones behind, to find him. Discord was quick to assume she just wanted to make some sort of peace...make friendly amends. But Twilight, ever strong-minded, corrected it as simply 'making sure he doesn't harm anyone'. She could think what she wanted, but that didn't stop Discord from trying to get closer to her, hoping she would finally drop her guard and just see who he truly is and what he's trying to fix.

She yelled at him many times; he couldn't blame her since she felt tricked and confused when he suddenly came back.

She tried to resist his gifts; Discord heard the old saying that the best way to get to someone was through the stomach, which was why he made that muffin tree to satisfy her.

She did her best not to laugh at his innocent pranks; hearing her giggles when they were both in the lake made him ever more hopeful.

She had been on the verge of tears; Discord knew he had hit a tender spot when he questioned her opinion on him, and whether or not a mischievous creature like him could show a little kindness.

For better or for worse, Discord wouldn't give up on Twilight Sparkle. Out of all the ponies, he knew, deep down, she saw him differently. And he had been determined to help her realize that.

And that had started on the night the storm broke out. It was just simple rain and thunder, it did little to concern him. But what really concerned him was a certain unicorn camping deep in the woods with little to support her.

He had flown through the trees, allowing the rain to pour down on him, searching for her and hoped she was alright. When he found her huddled under that sad excuse for a tent, he immediately knew he had to do something, whether she liked it or not.

Discord landed on soft, wet grass, doing his best to keep quiet as he approached the tent. Slowly stretching his neck, the Draconequus carefully slipped his nose through the opening of the shelter.

His eyes widened in shock when he found Twilight lying on her stomach, her hooves tucked underneath her as her face held an expression of fear and discomfort. He saw a small crack above the ceiling of the tent, drops of rain falling down her her unruly mane as her body quivered from the cold.

Ever so gently, he reached a lion paw out for her and placed it upon her backside. He was horrified to feel how cold she was, like she had been bathed in ice.

Unable to watch her like this much longer, he reached both hands and scooped her up. She didn't wake up as he held her in his arms, and he felt his heart drop when he saw her closed eyes, looking as if she were in pain. He used one of his wings as an umbrella over her shivering body as he allowed the rain to pour more on him. He held her close, allowing his furry body to provide some warmth for her.

With a snap of his fingers, they both disappeared away from the cruel work of nature.

In a few moments, they were in a small room in his special home. This room, though it needed some work, was something he had created just earlier in case Twilight ever considered coming back to him.

He gazed down at the bed with cotton candy pillows, then turned to the cold unicorn in his arms. Ever so gently, he lowered her down to the cushion, biting his lip in hopes she wouldn't wake up.

His eyes widened when he saw her expression of discomfort slowly melt into one of semi-pleasement. Her face seemed to be glowing, as if she was now satisfied as well as grateful.

The corners of Discord's mouth twitched in a slight smile, mentally giving himself a pat on the back that he did something he had wanted to do since finding Twilight in this forest. Before he could stop himself, he reached over with his lion paw and brushed her mane away from her face.

As he watched her sleep, he snapped his fingers and a chair magically appeared behind him. Quietly taking his seat, he just watched as she slept, before summoning a blanket which draped over his body. He wanted to be there when she awoke, expecting a gasp of surprise, a shriek of horror...maybe even a whisper of thanks.

As the hour wore on, he felt his eyes began to drop, and he did his best to fight the sleep that was taking over him. He wanted to stay awake for Twilight, make sure she was fine.

Before he knew it, his eyes heavily fell and he was asleep as well.

Discord smirked to himself as he recalled the memory. When he had woken up, she was still asleep. He decided he didn't want to endure whatever she was going to give him and had immediately left the room.

He was just hiding his happiness for her to be in his home and was a bit intimidated to think what exactly Twilight would think of such. When she had woken up and saw her new surroundings, he knew she was surprised.

She was doubtful, confused, annoyed...sad, worried, sympathetic.

That night of confessions...that embrace...how much she felt bad for him and that she missed him.

She missed him...Twilight Sparkle...and she vowed to stay with him until things were fixed.

That was when he decided not to hide such feelings on the matter. He let her know how happy he was that she said that, saying it in his own Discord fashion, of course. But she knew. She was smart. And very special.

A pocket watch magically appeared in his paw and he gazed at the time. Just a couple of hours before Twilight gets out of her room, he might as well make sure the spotless kitchen was even more to her liking.

He just owed her so much.
_

Mayor Mare, her secretary, along with the rest of the Elements of Harmony, barged through her office doors and screeched to a sudden halt before letting out gasps of surprise.

Next to the mayor's desk stood her slightly large cabinet of books. High above a ladder that reached the top shelf was Spike.

"Spike?" Rarity exclaimed. "What on Earth are you doing?"

"And why are you re-arranging my books?" Mayor Mare asked.

"Yeah, that's my job!" Her secretary cried.

The baby dragon barely paid any attention to them as he held a couple of books in his hands while standing atop the ladder. With a small, sad smile, he slipped them both into their selected slots. He admired his work, his bottom lip quivering.

"There," he choked, "organized as ever!"

"Spike!" Applejack called as she stood beside the ladder and gazed up at him. "What in tarnation are you doing?"

Spike gazed down and suddenly took notice of all the ponies in the room. "Oh, hey, guys!" He tried to sound cheerful. "Just organizing the library."

"Spike, dear," Mayor Mare said calmly as she stood beside the apple pony, "this isn't a library. This is my office."

"And those books are property of the mayor of Ponyville!" Her secretary snapped. "Only I, her secretary, can organize them."

"Yeah, sorry, about that..." Spike mumbled as he slid down the ladder. He didn't give them eye contact as he played with his fingers, biting his lip.

Fluttershy took notice of his sudden discomfort and slowly walked over to him. "Spike," she said softly, "are you still ever so worried about Twilight?"

"Me?" He gasped in surprise, his green eyes widening. "Worried?" He scoffed, waving it aside. "Not that much knowing that all of Equestria is looking for her!" He gave a fake laugh. "I mean, it's not that I'm doing my assistant job elsewhere because the library is so empty and meaningless now." And he gave another laugh, nearly choking.

The ponies gazed at one another apprehensively before turning back to the baby dragon that was doing his best to look happy.

"Spike," Rainbow Dash began, cocking her head. "Are you-"

"Oh, who am I kidding?" He wailed, startling all of them.

He immediately fell to his knees and placed his face in his hands. Tears poured down his face and fell onto the office carpet.

"I miss her! I miss her so much! I miss being her assistant! Her one and only assistant! I miss doing work just for her!"

He glared back at array of books he re-arranged.

"I'm no one's assistant but hers!" He cried. "I don't know why I thought I could get my mind off missing her with re-arranging some other pony's dumb books!"

And he gave the bottom shelf a swift kick. Before he knew it, all the shelves rattled and a large amount of books fell on him, leaving him in a huge pile.

"I'll get right to putting those back," the mayor's secretary sighed.

Applejack immediately came to his side and pulled him out of the pile, making sure he didn't cause anymore damage.

"Sugarcube, it's alright," she assured him gently, "we all miss her."

"Yeah," Rainbow Dash said, "and we're trying our hardest to find this dumb Discord and put a stop to him once and for all!"

"Then you can go back to being Twilight's number one assistant and things will be A-OK!" Pinkie Pie chirped.

"Spike, sweetie," Mayor Mare spoke out, "I understand how close you and Twilight are, and really, I'm not mad at you for coming into my office and touching my books." She turned to the pile on the floor. "I must admit, you have quite good organization skills."

"No one has better organization skills than..." Spike immediately gulped. "Than..."

"Oh, dear," Rarity winced, seeing the tears threatening his eyes.

"Than TWILIGHT!" He cried out, creating a large waterfall of tears that were completely soaking the floor.

The mayor's secretary sighed, placing a hoof to her forehead in exasperation. "I'll clean that up, too..."
_

Twilight's horn glowed as she removed a book from her library. She grinned before stretching her hooves out, having felt so comfortable in the red silk gown she wore when she slept. Recalling last night, the unicorn smiled as she thought back to the dear Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony.

Last night when she and Discord saw the stars together, she would never forget the loyalty they had for each other. When she said she missed her friends and family, Discord was willing to let her go and be happy while he just remained alone. No way in the hay did she want him to be alone as he had been a thousand years before. She truly was happy. Happy to be by his side after so long; she wanted to stay with him until things were fixed and they would decide about the others.

Though Rainbow Dash was the Element of Loyalty...Twilight knew hers was just as strong when it came to Discord.

Trotting out of her room, book floating beside her, she was careful not to read at the breakfast table this time. She suddenly felt excited to see Discord again, seeing as today seemed like a beautiful morning and she couldn't wait to see what Discord had planned. But he needed to realize that she was a pony of balancing studying and playing, but she just knew he would fix that.

She crossed the bridge of gumdrops and found him sitting at the table. She could barely hold her laughter when she saw his blue and gold night cap. The Draconequus smirked at her as he used his magic to pull her seat out and she sat on it.

"At least I don't look like a poofy red poodle," he remarked, gazing at her red night outfit.

"Oh, touche, Starswirl," she rolled her eyes before putting her book down beside her on the table.

Discord gazed at the book before looking back at the unicorn, his expression mixed with both annoyance and concern. Twilight noticed this and laughed.

"I was hoping that after we do some hanging out around here, you and I could do some reading together," she eyed him carefully. "You do read, right?"

Discord pursed his lips in a slight smirk. "Of course I do. Even I, the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony, would love to cozy on my cotton candy cloud once in a while and read a good book."

"Mmm, I love that," she said with a dreamy expression as thoughts of her library house returned to her. "Sometimes I would lay on the park bench and read. Or at least try when Pinkie Pie keeps bothering me with whatever random stuff she wants to talk about."

"Well, as the Element of Laughter," he joked, "she is trying to make you laugh."

"Well, you seem like a master of that as well," she complimented, resting her head on her hoof as she gazed at him. "What, with your chaos and all."

Discord took her comment into consideration and smiled deeply. "I will admit it was pretty surprising, seeing as you're such a strong-headed pony with a mind beyond the normal intellectual."

"Same goes for a certain Draconequus who acts so childish at times but has a wise, sensitive personality," she countered playfully.

"We read each other pretty well, Twilight Sparkle," he chuckled before he summoned their breakfast. "This is exactly why I consider you far different than any pony, and not because you have incredible magic."

Twilight smiled with embarrassment. "I thank you..." She said quietly. Then her smile faded a bit. "I do, however, wish my friends could read you the way I have..."

Noticing the discomfort in her voice, Discord placed down his glass of chocolate milk and gazed at her in concern.

"Twilight," he began gently, "look, as much as it pleases me that you have decided to remain with me until the time being, but have you ever considered letting your friends know that you're alright?"

The unicorn swallowed hard. "Well, yeah, I have been thinking about sending a message, letting them know I'm fine..." Then her eyes widened. "Then I worry they will certainly be angry with me, no, not at me. At you." And she pointed a hoof at the Draconequus. "They must think you corrupted me."

"I can't blame them," he rubbed the back of his neck nervously, "especially Rainbow Dash." He could just imagine the expressions of rage each pony, especially the princesses, had right now. All hatred thrown at him because they immediately accuse him of pony-napping. It's not like he had been hated before, but still, it almost terrified him to think of the possibilities. And that cyan pegasus friend of Twilight's was on top of the rage totem pole.

"She's just being a loyal friend," Twilight told him gently, "she just wants to protect me. And let's not forget you did steal her wings." She eyed him closely.

"Ah, her prized wings," Discord sighed, his discomfort immediately diminishing. "You know, I'm sure the Wonderbolts take in anyone who doesn't have one of those."

"I have to admit," Twilight rubbed her chin, "Soarin' seems more of run than flight from what I've observed."

"And you say you don't have a crush on Soarin'," he chuckled.

"I do not!" She cried out. "Look, let's just return to the topic about messaging my friends so they won't turn Equestria upside down because of us."

"Of course, my dear," he chuckled before he snapped his fingers and a quill and papers appeared on the table. "So...how should we start?"
_

Mrs. Cake kept up the pace as she galloped from one section of the kitchen to the other. Though the search for Twilight was as serious as ever, that couldn't get in the way of their business. She managed a smile as she turned to gaze at her two babies who were sitting in their high-chairs watching their mother work while their father was in the other room setting up the already baked treats.

"Hi there!" She nearly jumped at the sound of an overly cheerful voice.

"Oh!" Mrs. Cake exclaimed in surprise while struggling with a few bowls in her hooves. "Hello, Pinkie Pie."

The pink pony gave her usual smile as she trotted into the kitchen. "Here, I got that!" She insisted before taking a few bowls from her.

"Oh, thank you, dear," Mrs. Cake said gratefully as they placed them on the table. She gazed at her with a slight hint of concern in her eyes. "Pinkie, aren't you suppose to be out with the other harmony ponies looking for Twilight?" She didn't want to sound like she was giving the poor pink pony a blow with the mention of the dear unicorn's name, but she couldn't help but ask; she was almost afraid they had given up and Pinkie was hiding remorse behind a mask of her usual happiness.

"Oh, we're going to do that!" Pinkie Pie assured her as she grabbed a bag of flour. "I just wanted to see how you guys were doing!" She lowered her head a bit, scuffling her hooves against the floor nervously. "Sorry I can't resume my work. But, you know, with big meanie Discord out there and well..."

Mrs. Cake gave her a sincere smile. "Oh, sweetie, don't apologize." She reached over and cupped the pink mare's chin so she would share eye level with her. "You're still being a great help. Not just for us, but for all of Equestria."

Pinkie's blue eyes sparkled at her kind words. She blinked back tears that were threatening to fall as Mrs. Cake patted her mane supportingly.

As Pumpkin and Pound watched their mother and Pinkie Pie become deep in serious conversation from their high-chairs, Pumpkin suddenly felt a disturbance in atmosphere for some reason. Her ears twitching curiously, she turned to her brother, who gazed at her in confusion.

"Dah?" Pound gurgled, looking at his sister in question.

"Dah!" Pumpkin argued.

Suddenly, a small, bright light emerged from Pound's chair. Both babies shielding their eyes, the small sound of a poof was heard before they felt the small impact of something light and flimsy land in front of the baby pegasus on his little table.

Pumpkin slowly opened her eyes, and they immediately widened as her mouth fell in shock.

Pound, wearing the same expression as his sister, gazed down at his table to find a small, rolled up paper of some kind.

"Yah!" Pound squealed with excitement, thinking the scroll was some sort present to him. He reached over and held the scroll in his tiny hooves before he placed his lips on top and began to happily suck on it, his drool soaking the material.

His sister, her eyes narrowing with disapproval and jealousy at her brother, reached over and grabbed it from him, a trail of drool falling to the floor.

"Mah!" She snapped angrily, holding the scroll close to her, declaring the 'gift' her own.

"Mah!" Pound retorted, reaching over and grabbing the other end of the scroll.

Soon it became an all out tug-of-war as the siblings pulled at it from each end, babbling in argument and struggling to get back what they assumed was rightfully his or hers. Neither noticed the paper slightly tearing as they continued pulling at it. And neither noticed Pumpkin bump into her juice cup on the side of her little table...

With as much strength as her baby hooves could muster, she finally yanked the scroll out of her brother's grip...and knocking over her juice cup in the process. Because of her sudden pull, and the top of the cup having opened, the juice spilled on her as well as the scroll, which fell out of her hooves and onto the floor with a small plop.

Pound just giggled as he watched his sister cry out in despair, juice dripping down her ears and mane. Both had forgotten about the scroll on the floor, now soaked in the spilt juice.

"Oh, no!" Pinkie Pie cried as both she and Mrs. Cake turned to see what had happened.

"Pound Cake!" Mrs. Cake exclaimed in distraught as she rushed over to them. "What happened here? And your sister!" She gasped as she saw the baby unicorn wail, her body covered in juice as Pound laughed at her. "Oh, it is not nice to laugh at your sister's misfortune!"

She didn't even notice her hoof stepping on the soaked, rolled out scroll on the floor as Pinkie Pie handed her some paper towels.

No one even noticed the words 'Dear friends' on the entirely soaked paper before they completely faded because of the juice.
_

"Always hungry after a flight, eh, Soarin'?"

The male Wonderbolt lifted his head up from his third pie tin today and smiled nervously at his leader through a mouthful of sweet cherry filling. It almost seemed like a daily routine for the Wonderbolts to go searching through the skies to track down Discord and bring Twilight to safety on their own if they could.

The thought of some poor mare like Twilight being held prisoner by the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony made Soarin's stomach rumble quietly, though not in the way that made the pegasus want to eat more. Swallowing hard, he gazed down at his half-empty pie tin on the floor. They had just landed in front of one of Canterlot's bakeries for a quick break before they were to hit the skies once more.

"Hungry as a horse," Soarin' joked half-heartedly, trying to place on his usual smile.

"Hey, Spitfire!" Both turned to see another one of their members motioning for their leader. "Come here for a sec! One of these Canterlot ponies, I think Fancypants, needs to talk with you."

Nodding, she gave Soarin' one last smile before trotting off. After she left, Soarin' buried his nose in the pie tin once again, wanting to finish his snack quickly before they had to take to the air once more.

"Careful there, lad," one passerby Canterlot pony stated as he watched the crumbs fly off the hungry pegasus. "If you don't take the time to chew and swallow you'll choke."

"Oh, please!" Soarin' mumbled, his muzzle covered in cherry filling as he chewed rapidly. "As if I could choke on p-"

Suddenly, his eyes widened, feeling as if there was a lump in his throat. He started to gag as his mouth hung open, a little pie remaining between the insides of his cheeks. He began to cough, slamming his hooves into his chest.

"Oh, dear!" The Canterlot pony exclaimed in horror before he rushed over and had the younger pony in a tight hold.

He began to gently squeeze him, before tightening his grip and did his best to remember how the Heimlich maneuver was done. Recalling what he read for such a situation, with a few presses against the pegasus' stomach, Soarin' spat out a large wad of pie that shot out across the street and landed on the ground.

The pegasus gasped for air, placing a hoof to his throat before smiling at the Canterlot pony gratefully. "Wow...thanks, man..."

"Anytime, dear, lad," the Canterlot pony said modestly.

Neither noticed the words 'I'm fine' on the small ruined piece of paper poking out the side of the glob of pie Soarin' spat out before they disappeared as the cherry filling fluid soaked it.
_

"Are you serious?" Rainbow Dash cried.

Rarity huffed and flipped her mane before they entered her boutique. "I just need a nice hat to wear before we continue our search once again! It's simply a beautiful day today, and I simply must wear something for it!"

"Oh, here we go..." Spike muttered as he trudged behind Rainbow Dash. Crush or not, there were times the baby dragon thought she could be ridiculous and redundant.

"Oh, Spike!" Rarity cooed, sensing his annoyance. "I know we have a job to do, but maybe you and Rainbow Dash would like hats as well?"

"No way," the pegasus scoffed, folding her hooves.

"Not happening," Spike muttered, folding his arms and turning away from the pleading look on the unicorn's face. "I just want to find Twilight!"

The mention of the lavender unicorn's face made both Rarity and Rainbow Dash flinch. They turned to each other nervously, knowing too well how Spike was feeling at the moment. It had been a little difficult to persuade him to halt his 'assistant habits', having to pull him away when he became mad with trying to stack Applejack's apples like he does with books back at the library. Though he was keeping up a strong face as they carried through the day, they knew deep down he missed Twilight terribly, and doing so-called chores was the only thing that was keeping him stable about it.

"Pick a hat quick," Rainbow Dash muttered to Rarity, eyes never leaving Spike. "The sooner we're out of here, the sooner we can get Spike to not be such a depressed grump."

"You're quite right," Rarity nodded before she rushed over to her array of hats.

Spike, arms still folded, waited patiently as he watched Rarity search through her many accessories. His quiet posture was immediately ruined when he heard a certain purring.

The baby dragon's eyes narrowed before they shifted over to the fat white ball of fur that came his way.

"Hello, Opal," his voice carried slight venom as he watched the cat hold her nose up in the air as she passed him.

Opal just gave a quick flick of her tail as she made her way over to her play area. Spike bit his lip, never forgetting their last encounter, which involved wrestling, mud, and Twilight's journal. Though Twilight had forgiven him for breaking the lock, he still felt guilty about it. But he knew some of the blame was to be on Rarity's stubborn pet.

The thought of Twilight pained him a bit as his eyes lowered sadly while he idly watched Opal play with her toys and such. He continued watching as Opal hopped onto a nearby table, her paws flickering over a piece of paper that laid next to some designing supplies. He became quite bored with watching her continue on with her little fun, until he noticed her tail flick against a small roll of needles.

Eyes widening, Spike rushed over and quickly caught the item, though some of the needles painfully pressed against the palm of his hand. Quickly placing it back on the desk, Spike shook his hand to rid the sudden pain before hurriedly giving it kisses to make it better. He immediately ceased when Opal began laughing at him in her own cat manner, pointing a paw at him in pure mockery.

"Zip it, kitty!" Spike warned her, his fists tightening.

Opal stuck her tongue out at him before quickly swatting her paw against a cup of pencils on the table. Spike quickly rushed over and grabbed them, before he placed them back on the table.

"Quit it!" He cried.

She stifled an evil giggle before she intended to swat something else. However, her claws became stuck on the piece of paper. Growing furious, she began to hiss and swat in all directions, the paper clinging to her paw.

Spike just rolled his eyes before reaching over and yanking it off her. However, the force of his pull had him quickly fall back and bump into the table. Before he could do anything, a bottle of ink on the desk spilled forward and trailed down. Spike hurriedly held out the piece of paper in his hand and had the spilled ink fall on it, creating one huge black splotch.

"Meh, must have been some rejected idea of Rarity's..." Spike shrugged as the ink continued spilling on the paper.

"Oh, dear!" Rarity, wearing an overly-feathered hat, exclaimed as she saw Spike on the floor with Opal across from him. "What happened?"

"As I said before, Rarity," Spike muttered as he got to his feet and rolled up the paper. "You really need to put that cat of yours on a leash." And he tossed the paper away. "Come on, you got your hat. Now let's get our Twilight!"

Before either Rainbow Dash or Rarity could say anything, the baby dragon rushed out of the boutique, the two ponies following behind him.

Opal purred in delight to have the place to herself once again as she flicked her tail happily. Wanting to go get a drink of water, she passed by the completely inked and crumpled up paper Spike threw away, completely ignoring it.

She didn't even notice the words 'Love Twilight' on the crumpled material before inked washed over it, just as it had covered the rest of the supposed message.
_

Discord looked up from the book they were reading and gazed at Twilight, who was totally engrossed in the material they had laid on the table. After some playing around with cotton candy clouds and drinking chocolate rain, Discord took Twilight's request that they read together. Somehow, he found the activity more enjoyable now that he actually had someone to read with. He smiled to himself, watching as Twilight turned the page.

"I do hope your friends aren't too angry once they read the messages we sent them," he said.

"Oh, they'll probably be upset," she said, not tearing her eyes away from the book. "You sure you put them in good places?"

"Where I'm sure they will be able to find them and soon read them," he promised.

Twilight smiled up at him as she flipped the page. "Good," she said, "I'm not worried then."

Discord gazed at her thoughtfully. "You know, it's nice to know how much you're cared about."

Twilight caught on the tone of his voice. It sounded curious, yet with a hint of sadness and slight envy. She looked up from their book and gazed at him closely. "I'm sure you could be cared about, too. I mean, not just by me-"

"I highly doubt it," he cut in gently. "If you recall, I was a bad boy back then. I'm still one today."

"Well, it's not the negatively-defined 'bad'," Twilight corrected, managing a nervous smile. "If they could just see that you're redeeming yourself and are more considerate of your chaos, they could see what a good creature you are."

Discord chuckled, amused by her need to cheer him up. "You're something else, Twilight Sparkle."

Twilight scoffed playfully. "That's what Applejack told me when I fixed up Winter Wrap-Up."

He raised an eyebrow. "I'm afraid I'm still new to this thing you call 'Winter Wrap-Up'," he confessed.

"Oh, yeah..." Her voice trailed off, feeling ashamed to have forgotten his long imprisonment. Despite his quick adaption to the times of today, a thousand years in stone had kept him from learning the special holidays and gatherings of Equestria.

He didn't know Winter Wrap-Up, maybe he didn't know Nightmare Night, or even Hearth's Warming Day. And Hearts and Hooves Day! That day was especially important! If he had still been around by that day...maybe the kids would show love and appreciation for him. She was sure that perhaps the Cutie Mark Crusaders would step up and give him a little kindness and in return he would give gifts of heart-shaped cotton candy clouds that showered chocolate hearts...

Discord scratched the side of his ear. "Is that truly a wonderful event for all you little ponies?" He asked.

"Well, yes," she blushed. "In Canterlot, we just use magic to clean up the snow, bring forth the birds from the south, and making sure the animals are fine and well-taken care of after hibernation." She smiled tightly. "In Ponyville, it's tradition to do the Earth pony way."

Discord noticed how small her voice sounded when she said that. "And I assume...you had a difficult time with that way?"

"I've always relied on my magic..." She confessed quietly. "Really, I paid as much help as I could without my horn. But then when we were clearing the snow for the fields, I just wanted to really help and..." Her voice dropped, and she averted her gaze. "Boy, that was a screw-up..."

He saw the glimmer of sadness in her purple eyes and slowly reached over and patted her head sympathetically. "Oh, come now, my dear," he said soothingly, "You're just a cut above the rest. It's tough stepping down to a certain level to meet the needs of others."

Twilight gazed up at him, and she smirked slightly. "You're not calling Ponyville a town of losers, are you?"

"Of course not!" He laughed. It immediately died down as his expression became slightly serious. "They were mad at you, weren't they?"

She was quite surprised by the concern in his voice as she lowered her head a bit. "Well, Applejack yelled at me...but she didn't mean to, I promise!" She added quickly when she saw his distraught look. "She just wants to keep tradition, that's all."

"It wouldn't kill to add another tradition to that tradition," he said as he rolled his eyes.

"And there was!" She responded happily, beaming with pride. "Thanks to my organization skills, Ponyville finally made spring on time!"

"Making spring on time..." He stroked his beard. "How is that possible without magic? I mean, I use my powers to shift day and night. In a measly second I can turn spring into winter!"

Twilight sighed, feeling ever so bad for him. With a gentle smile, she reached a hoof and placed it over his eagle talons. Discord was slightly surprised by this gesture before gazing at Twilight.

"Though you are amazing to adapt to the new times so quickly," she said softly, her voice like honey. "I know there are still so many things you need to learn."

The Draconequus was quite taken by her soothing voice. It sounded so pleasing, assuring, and ever so sincere.

"I suppose..." He said, his voice sounding calm and cool.

Twilight chuckled. "Look, when that time does...," she said quietly, her voice carrying so much concern, "after this trouble diminishes..." She swallowed hard.

However, her expression of anxiety was quickly replaced by a bright, cheerful smile.

"I want you to learn and do everything," she told him. "I want you to have the fun we ponies have had long before you were released from stone."

Discord blinked, and the corners of his mouth twitched into a nervous, yet pleased smile. "What are you basically saying, my dear?"

The unicorn breathed softly, and Discord felt a soft, serene feeling in the atmosphere as she did that. Almost as if she were indicating her sincerity and desire for him to simply be...well, himself.

"I want you to be happy, Discord," Twilight finally said. "I want you to continue your innocent chaos, but with approving eyes of everypony."

She swallowed a bit, her mouth full with so many things to say to this special creature. Discord would listen to every word she said; it was interesting as well as soothing.

"I really, really want you to be with me at the next Winter Wrap-Up," she said happily. "I want you to enjoy the thrills and chills of Nightmare Night. I want you to feel the joy of Hearth's Warming and eat gingerbread houses." She smiled nervously, lowering her gaze. "And Hearts and Hooves Day, well...I'm sure the kids would shower you with affection."

Discord gazed at her in amazement. Coming here was a huge surprise for him, now here she was telling him to live his life in Equestria the way everyone does, with his chaos to add thrill to it all. She wanted him to enjoy life, get with the times, experience the holidays and gatherings Twilight spoke was ever so wonderful, he considered the idea of standing by her side for this thing called Winter Wrap-Up...

She wanted so much for him. And there was simply no limit to him owing her just as much.

"Well..." He said thoughtfully, placing a lion paw finger to his chin. "I'm not sure..."

"Did I mention that Nightmare Night is the time Rainbow Dash does her pranks?" Twilight said with a smirk. "I bet you could prank her just as much for scaring all those kids last time."

His eyes widened at the thought, and he was quite astonished at an idea she was suggesting.

"That doesn't sound bad at all," he said with a pleasing grin.

"Good," Twilight let out a sigh of relief. "So you trust me on this?" She asked hopefully.

Discord laughed. "My dear, I trusted you from the moment you came here to these woods to find me."

"Would you have trusted me back there if I said I wouldn't pummel you with my own hooves?" She couldn't help but ask, remembering their first encounter since she arrived. With those boots she had on, she really would have left her mark on him if she could.

"It's not like I wouldn't be prepared for that," he joked.

They shared a laugh, not realizing they had finished the book they were reading. Putting it away, Twilight gazed out a nearby window and noticed Luna's moon having been raised up.

"Wow, time flies," she realized. Then she shifted her eyes toward Discord. "Unless you really did make it fly."

"I did not mess around with the sun and moon this time," he confessed. "Not when I'm enjoying so much time with you, my dear."

"Well, nice to know the night is truly still young," she said playfully. "Shall we read a new volume?"

"Actually," he began, "I was hoping we'd drop the reading and go to more different matters."

"Such as?" She raised an eyebrow.

He smirked at her before snapping his fingers.

Before Twilight knew it, the area around them changed and was replaced by a polished wooden floor. Confused, she turned and saw a DJ system standing across from them. And, as Discord snapped his fingers once again, bright neon lights shone around the room.

"It's been a while since I've danced," he confessed playfully.
_

Princess Celestia gazed out the window of her throne room, fear and despair written all over her face. She barely noticed Luna enter the room, having finished lowering the sun and raising the moon.

"Dear sister," the younger princess spoke softly, her voice filled with concern. "Still pensive about your dear student?"

The sun princess sighed before she turned to her, her eyes glassy with threatening tears. "Discord is truly an evil character to go as far as to take away our beloved Twilight Sparkle."

Luna's expression darkened a bit at the mention of the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony. "When we find him, we will give him what for." She averted her gaze. "I am still confused about the new kind of magic the Elements can harness. We were quite quick in explaining yet being ever so little descriptive."

"I'm sorry," Celestia apologized. "The thought of Discord reigning Equestria again made my mouth move faster than my head."

"As of mine, Celestia," Luna sighed before joining her side and gazing out the window.

"You made a lovely night, Luna," the sun princess complimented her.

"Thank you," she said, "I do hope Twilight has enough liberty to witness it from within the clutches of Discord." That name dripped out of her mouth like venom. "But anyway," she said quickly, "another day of search tomorrow, I assure you." She used her magic to levitate a tray of tea and cookies between them. "Let us fill the air with peace and some good relaxing beverages and snacks."

"Yeah..." Celestia sighed before using her magic to carry her cup. "I guess we should..."

After taking a sip of her tea, she noticed something odd about the flavor.

"Did the royal chefs add new sugar to the tea?" She asked her sister.

"Actually, no," Luna responded, "one of our servants found a piece of paper in the pot before serving it to us."

The sun princess raised an eyebrow. "A paper? Was it some message of some kind?"

The moon princess shook her head. "It was just a plain piece of paper, completely soaked in the tea."
_

Twilight sat at the couch with a book in her hooves as she watched Discord dance to a slight disco beat. Though she wanted to continue reading, she grew quite interested in the music.

And Discord. He was dancing. He was happy, doing what he loved before he had been turned to stone. That made her smile.

"Join me, Twilight!" He encouraged, holding his lion paw out to her.

Her eyes widened. "Me?" She exclaimed. "Uh, no..." She averted her eyes. "I don't dance..."

"Oh, really?" He chuckled with amusement before snapping his fingers.

Suddenly, a song blared through the system as Twilight's ears perked up at the familiar tune. Next thing she knew, the couch disappeared from underneath her and she fell on her hooves, making her drop the book. Before she could protest, Discord slithered beside her, smirking.

"Tell me, have you ever listened to Hayhanna?" He asked. "I must say, this song of hers if my absolute favorite!"

"Well, this song does seem nice-" Twilight was immediately cut off when Discord grabbed her by the hooves and brought her to the center of the dance floor.

She found herself gazing into his mismatched eyes, his height a few feet above hers but he was able to accommodate her size as his feet centered with her back hooves.

"Let's see if you can't dance, my dear," he said quietly as the the voice of Hayhanna began to sing.

Twinkling stars in the night
And we're standing side by side
As the dullness comes upside
We must find a way to see the light

Twilight found herself moving in motion with Discord as he led her to dance, feet and hooves going all over the polished floor as they danced all around. The unicorn was quite surprised at herself before gazing up at Discord, who simply smiled down at her.

What can we do when things seem to stultify?
We just got to go with the flow

She nearly stumbled on her hooves but Discord had a good grip on her as he assisted and encouraged her to let herself go and allow the music to take her.

We found fun in a boring place

Before Twilight knew it, she was leading the dance as her front hooves grasped Discord's hands and she felt her tail swishing as they glided along the dance floor.

"Oh, wow..." She couldn't help but say.

"And you said you couldn't dance," he chuckled, enjoying every moment.

Twilight placed a hoof along Discord's arm as her other one continued grasping his lion paw. By now, she immediately forgot their reading as she absorbed in the moment.

Flash a smile as we hit the floor
Sadness and fear should be pushed aside
With you here is what I adore
Let my hooves beat from side to side

This is what she had hoped for Discord. To dance, be merry, enjoy himself with no worries.

And she had been the key to that.

What can we do when things seem to stultify?
We just got to go with the flow

And,sweet Equestria, this song sounded amazing! Perhaps she should listen to this popular artist some more...

We found fun in a boring place

Twilight laughed out in surprise when Discord placed his lion paw above her back and spun her around.

We found fun in a boring place

Twilight smiled in content as their dancing slowed as the song faded. Hooves on his arms as his paw was still on her back, they shared a laugh before complimenting each other.

"Well, that was fun," the unicorn said shyly.

"That's what Hayhanna's song was all about," he chuckled.

"Well, you got me in the mood," she said playfully, smirking at him. "Tell me, what dance do you have in mind now?"

Discord raised an eyebrow at her, an amused smile on his face.

"Tell me, my dear," he began. "Do you like..." And he snapped his fingers. "To shuffle?"

Twilight's eyes widened in surprise as a quick, uptight beat began to play. Then her eyes shone with mischief as she smirked at him.

"You're looking at the pony who mastered the shuffle after you."
_