• Published 15th Dec 2011
  • 10,538 Views, 431 Comments

Discordant Feelings - cartuneslover19



Though the events of Discord are behind them, Twilight still thinks about the spirit of disharmony. Thoughts kept to herself, she realizes t

  • ...
51
 431
 10,538

You'll Learn Winter Wrap-Up

Okay, reading the recent comments, I'm really happy to meet so many people who adore DiscordxTwilight, or Discolight; and there are a FEW who don't like it. Well, if you've read the Author's Note on chapter 14, I clearly stated that although I out the romance tag in here, don't expect ACTUAL romance. I only put that tag to gain more readers...and because, well, this story almost seems romantic, huh? :D As big a fan as I am of Discolight, this is all clearly friendship right here...but maybe hinting something. ;)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fluttershy let out a yawn as she slowly raised herself from her bed and rubbed her eyes.

"Oh, another morning," she said softly to herself before giving another yawn.

Suddenly, she found herself shivering as she held the blankets close to her body, realizing how extremely cold it was in her bedroom. She did leave her window open last night to have a nice breeze as she slumbered; she never expected a breeze that extreme.

"Oh, my," she gasped softly as she wrapped her blankets close to her before slipping out of bed. "It sure is cold today."

She turned to gaze out her window. What she saw made her jaw drop.

Snow. Snow was everywhere.

It was a great landscape of white as the trees appeared as if they had been sprinkled with too much sugar, like the hills that looked like somepony had draped a white sheet of thick lace over them, like the animals-

"Oh, no!" Fluttershy cried as she witnessed some of the animals that were residing outside for their daily activities become victims to the freezing cold. She watched as birds were trying to fix their homes with snow covering their nests, how rabbits were doing their best to hop through massive piles of white, and the little stream where few animals kept close by was frozen ice.

Before the yellow pegasus could let out a small cry of horror, a bright flash immediately rushed through her window and came into her room with a crash. Fluttershy quickly turned to see Rainbow Dash on the floor, her wings wriggling with desperation.

"Rainbow Dash," Fluttershy spoke, "it-it's snowing!"

"No duh!" The rainbow-maned pegasus rolled her eyes before lifting herself off the ground and flapping angrily in the air. "This is no doubt Discord's doing!"

Her pink-maned friend blinked in utter surprise before turning to gaze out her window at the unexpected snowfall. "Discord?"

"Oh, come on!" Rainbow Dash threw her hooves up. "Winter doesn't come back for months! And if you haven't forgotten, Discord is still on the loose. And if you really haven't forgotten..." She bent down, wings still flapping, as her eyes bore into the innocent yellow mare's ones. "He still has Twilight."

That last sentence was enough to have the shy pegasus stand up straight, her teal eyes wide with the same horror she had when Spike announced her violet unicorn friend having gone missing.

"Look, we got to get to town," Rainbow Dash urged, having grabbed her Element of Kindness from Fluttershy's bed table. She quickly threw it around the other pegasus' neck.

"But-but-" Fluttershy struggled with her words as Rainbow Dash pushed her toward her open window. "My animals-"

"Don't worry," the cocky pegasus assured her as they now flew out of the cottage, "we'll take care of them later."

As they flew into the sky, Rainbow Dash gazed down at the great amount of white that seemed to have covered nearly all of Equestria by now. She let out a sigh before she continued leading the way.

"Looks like we might have to expect an early Winter Wrap-Up."
_

Zecora gracefully emerged from within the sheets of the bed she had slept in last night. She had stayed in Fancypants' mansion on insistence by her new Canterlot pony friends, all of them wanting to return the hospitality she had given them in her hut back in the Everfree Forest; they wanted her to remain close to them for the time-being during their search for Twilight Sparkle as well as keep together when Discord might strike unexpectedly.

The zebra let out a quiet yawn, not really much used to sleeping in a bed of incredible size, massive silk sheets, overly-fluffy pillows, and bright colors. She slowly slipped out of bed onto the cream-colored carpet before slowly walking over to a nearby window. Oh, this room was ten times the size of her hut!

Whether it was a maid's job or not to open the window for her, Zecora did it herself anyway as she used both her hooves to push back the large, fine-glass doors and prepared to welcome the bright light of Celestia's sun.

However, what she got was an extreme breeze of chill.

The zebra let out a gasp as her eyes widened at the sight of all of Canterlot completely engulfed in massive snow.

"Zecora!" Fancypants cried before bursting into her room. He knew that seemed extremely un-gentleman-like of him, and the fact that he was wearing blue-and-white striped pajamas, but he needed to see his zebra friend about the situation that was suddenly bestowed before them.

She turned to look at him as he quickly joined her side, gazing outside her window as his home became covered in white.

"Can you believe this?" He said aloud, adjusting his monocle.

"Indeed, there is snow," Zecora nodded. Then her face hardened as a frown formed on her lips. "And only one character that is responsible for this, I'm sure we all know."

Fancypants turned to her, an expression of both realization and understanding on his face. "We must dress warmly for the matter, my friend."

The female zebra turned to him, managing an amused smile. "I am sure I can be immune to this incredible cold," she said lightly, "for having always adored the sun, the snow isn't that bold."

The stallion unicorn raised an eyebrow at her before lightly shaking his head. "Absolutely not," he stated firmly. "I will not have my dear friend suffer a chill later on." He managed a smile. "Look, I understand you're not one for Canterlot fashion..." He gazed at the golden jewelry she always wore. "But bear with me, my dear, that considering this is Discord's doing, we cannot take chances, especially you."

Zecora let out a sigh before returning a small smile. "Very well, if you must cloak me in fine attire," she said. She gazed out the window once again. "For the way I see it, nothing could be anymore dire."
_

Twilight yawned as she raised her head from her bed. She winced as it suddenly started to feel a bit chilly for some reason. Rubbing her hooves together, the unicorn flipped her mane and gazed toward her closet.

"Maybe the weather's going to be less sun and a little more windy this time," she told herself as she used her magic to open the large doors that showed her wide assortment of clothes.

Searching through the closet, she finally chose a pale pink dress to wear as well as a red cloak with a hood that had a fuzzy white cuff. Smiling to herself, Twilight draped the cloak over her mane and proceeded out of her room.

"Discord?" She called, wondering where he was during this chilled weather.

He wasn't in the dining room, and he wasn't even among the cloudy tree fields where she would read sometimes, that only meant that he may have went outside. The unicorn proceeded forward until she finally found the exit. However, she stopped in her tracks when she got a good look of outside.

Beautiful white snow blanketed the grass and trees around the woods, the flowers glistening like diamonds as snowflakes lightly covered their buds and leaves. Even the lake had become a thick coat of ice, just perfect to skate on, despite Twilight's last mishap with the sport.

The unicorn slowly walked among the snow, taking in everything in awe. The last time she saw snow like this was-

"Winter Wrap-Up," Twilight told herself softly, smiling.

Last night's conversation with Discord was all about holidays, gatherings and events that were created long after his first imprisonment. When she talked about how she was a great help to Ponyville's Winter Wrap-Up, Discord had been quite confused yet curious about the event. It broke Twilight's heart to realize that despite the Draconequus having adapted so quickly with the times, he was still new to special days and other important events.

Twilight just wanted so much for him: enjoy the simple tasks of Winter Wrap-Up, absorb in the thrills and chills of Nightmare Night, bask in the joy of Hearth's Warming Day, and Hearts and Hooves Day...well, perhaps the children would shower him with love and affection.

And last night, before they had danced to that interesting Hayhanna song, Twilight promised Discord that once all trouble in Equestria would slowly diminish and she could take him home with her, she promised he would be with her at the next Winter Wrap-Up, standing by her side as she took in her job as 'All-Team Organizer'. Though she doubted he would want to stick to doing things the Earth pony way for so long a matter...

The unicorn was drifted out of her thoughts when she heard chirping and gazed toward a nearby tree. Among one of its branches were a few birds singing in perhaps praise of the new weather. Of course, it wasn't truly winter, so she doubted animals would hibernate despite the snow.

She smiled warmly to herself as the birds flew down and twirled around her before leading up to the sky to join their friends in the air. She watched as more birds flew by, simply basking in the weather just as much as she was.

Discord gazed up from high in the sky, hidden among a single cloud as he watched the happy unicorn enjoy the snow beneath her hooves. He smiled to himself, satisfied that she was enjoying the snow he conjured. Covering all of Equestria in snow was no problem for him, he just never thought he would even consider summoning snow on account of that seemed so 'un-chaotic'...and lonesome. Snow was simply white that was able to hide most things, keeping one out of sight and unable to be spotted in even a huge environment, where there was Discord's idea of insane usage like cotton candy, chocolate milk, and even cheese to make his mark and be spotted from thousands of miles away. Snow just seemed so depressing...

...before a certain unicorn came and explained to him the joys and beauties as well as special events that came with it.

His smile widened as he watched Twilight trot around in the snow, letting go of all seriousness and bask in the glory that was an early white wonderland. Finally, after much watching, he lowered his cloud down onto the ground and stepped out. Around his neck was a wool scarf as he slowly came over to Twilight, who had her eyes closed and smiling up toward the sky.

"Good morning, Twilight," he greeted with a chuckle, making her gasp in surprise.

"Oh, Discord!" She exclaimed, smiling nervously. "Uh, hi!"

He smirked as he spread his arms to the snow around them. "Beautiful, isn't it?"

"Well, as unexpected and incorrectly forecasted as it is..." Twilight stated intellectually as she turned her head to regard the skies. She turned back to him and smiled. "Yes. It's very beautiful."

His grin widened as he rubbed his ear. "I'm very pleased it impresses you, my dear."

"Okay, what's up?" Twilight asked playfully, raising an eyebrow at him. "Why the snow all of a sudden?"

Discord laughed. "My dear, you said you really wanted me to be by your side when this next Winter Wrap-Up event came..." His eyes lowered in satisfaction. "I thought it would be nice to make it come a little sooner."

"Oh, boy," Twilight sighed. "My friends are probably going to have their hooves full." Then her eyes widened as she remembered something. "Oh, no! They're going to be cleaning up winter...without me!"

"Yes, if I do remember correctly..." Discord placed a finger to his chin, "they had messed up many times before you came along and put order to their chaos."

"Oh, gee, I hope they don't falter too much while I'm gone," the unicorn grew even more worried. "I mean, without their 'All-Team Organizer'-"

"Don't fret, Twilight Sparkle," Discord chuckled as he leaned down to her eye level and smiled at her. "Remember, they got your messages. Sure, they must be a little outraged, but they know you're fine and shall handle things without you regardless of the consequences."

Looking into those assuring gold and red eyes, complete with a smile of encouragement, all fear and despair quickly evaporated as Twilight gave a small, hopeful smile of her own.

"I guess you're right," she sighed.

"Excellent," the Draconequus said as gazed down at the snow beneath their feet. "Now, I understand that we can't do everything you ponies do during this event, but perhaps there's at least a few things you could teach me to better ready myself for when the real Winter Wrap-Up comes and nopony hates me enough to not peform such tasks?"

Twilight smiled, shuffling her hooves. "Well, I guess we could start with planting some things..."
_

Upper Crust blew out a puff of chilly air, her fur coat and hat beginning to fail in warming her up. Indeed, when she first found her beautiful Canterlot thick in snow, she didn't know what to think...accept quickly assume this was behind that chaotic creature.

Snow! Right in the middle of the year! Oh, all the lovely flowers that took some time to bloom to its full beauty were now buried in snow! And the streets were almost difficult to trot through as she watched some worker ponies use their magic to plow the thick white out of her way.

"How are you holding up, dear?" She turned to look at Jet Set, wearing a thick sweater and an expression of concern on his face.

She managed a small smile. "Oh, don't bother about this unexpected snowfall, dearest," she chuckled lightly. "This isn't nearly as bad as the poison joke incident!"

"Don't remind me..." Her husband winced before gently tapping his muzzle with a hoof.

In the middle of the clean street were all their friends, deep in chatter of both outrage and astonishment for the snow that had unexpectedly hit Equestria. Upper Crust barely made out Zecora standing beside Fancypants; the zebra was dressed in a dark blue winter gown and matching beret. The unicorn stifled a laugh, biting her lip as knowing too well how Zecora seemed slightly uncomfortable in their fashion. However, her self-humor immediately died down when she took great notice of the two ponies both Zecora and Fancypants were speaking to.

The Sparkles.

No doubt Fancypants' words of assurance were of no help as she witnessed the tears falling down Mrs. Sparkles face. How terrible Upper Crust felt for the other unicorn...and how even more terrible she felt that she had once referred to dear Twilight Sparkle as some 'Ponyville ruffian'.

She had no idea Twilight was, indeed, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sparkle, nor did she ever fathom that she was the prized pupil of Princess Celestia herself. Oh, how much she had grown the last time Upper Crust had even been lucky to actually see her...

It was during one year, when Twilight was at the age between a little filly and a young mare and attending the academy for gifted unicorns. Her parents had thrown a little gathering in their home and Upper Crust recalled all too well how she wanted to wear her new, ordered dress and show off to Twilight's mother. Mrs. Sparkle had been quite an idol in her eyes, holding both beauty and intelligence in such an original fashion. And, apparently, that was inherited by her little girl...

Upper Crust, having had her nose held high while walking across the large living room in her colorful silk skirts and jewelry, found enjoyment in the gathering, as well as her conversations with the Sparkles. However, after a few hours, she finally noticed that their daughter was not present.

While she had been wondering where their little filly was as she explored the halls that held their paintings and home decor, she nearly passed by their small library before hearing a giggle. She had peeked inside, and there sat the adorable little girl with a massive book in front of her, using her horn as her source of light.

The older unicorn was completely in awe by how much such a young pony could read; and the glow of her horn seemed quite powerful for someone Twilight's age. As much as she wanted little Twilight to come out of her library and join in their gathering, she had decided not to and left her to her studies.

As the memory faded, a small smile tightened on her lips as Upper Crust fought off tears that were beginning to form in her eyes.

After so long...just recently, she had met the now grown filly at one of their garden parties. When she first caught sight of her, she thought she was a lovely pony with the most plain dress she had ever seen. Her Ponyville friends were outrageous beyond belief, one of them even swung a croquet mallet that resulted in one of her friends losing her wig. And Twilight...oh, before Upper Crust could recall where she had seen her before...her dancing was unbelievably shocking!

She and her husband and the other Canterlot ponies looked down on them, and began to do so on Rarity when she stood by them, staying true to her Ponyville traits. And Fancypants admired her for that...

After Fancypants showed praise for Rarity and her friends, Upper Crust didn't know what to do, except agree with him immediately, even insisting she buy the dress Twilight was wearing.

After that whole ordeal, it was Twilight's turn to talk after Rarity introduced all them. Every jaw had fallen when the violet unicorn explained she was born and raised in Canterlot before residing in Ponyville; they fell even further when she explained her last name was Sparkle and that she was Celestia's student.

One of their own kind...and Upper Crust couldn't tell her apart from those Ponyville-bornes! Oh, how embarrassed she was to think so lowly of Twilight when she had such awe and admiration for her when she was just a little filly just as she did so for her mother!

Now that she thought about it...that yellow dress did seem quite lovely, though it could have used more designs and such. And the way Twilight was poised and spoke with such high intelligence in a soft, mesmerizing voice...how could Upper Crust have overlooked that? That was complete Canterlot material right there! Upper Crust never felt more guilty in her life!

And what made the guilt worsen was that she had berated Twilight Sparkle on her birthday!

Her birthday...that was a good reason to why the dear mare acted completely out of herself and frolicked in the same characteristics as her Ponyville friends. Even Upper Crust herself would let herself go when she had her special day coming.

But all had been forgiven and the others, as well as Fancypants, listened to Twilight's stories about her studies with the princess, her time in Ponyville, what great friends she has...

The Elements of Harmony.

For somepony as anti-social as Twilight once was, Upper Crust found it slightly ironic how she was the Element of Friendship, as well as Magic. She just needed to be put in the right direction, needed to meet ponies outside the glamours and intellectuals of Canterlot, and she had found true friends...

Was Upper Crust being a true friend right now?

Now that she thought about it, she quite resented dealing with such situations she believed only somepony with Ponyville class would handle, going through the dreaded Everfree Forest, landing face-first in poison joke, handling four unruly foals and battling a hydra.

But recalling those events...she seemed almost excited by such.

And they had made a new, interesting friend while doing so. Sure, Zecora was far from Canterlot material...but her intelligence, enchanted wisdom, and kindness was what immediately drew ponies like her close to the zebra.

Upper Crust quickly shook her head, realizing how even more cold it was becoming as she and her husband just stood in the cleaned streets, awaiting whatever tasks they had to do today. No doubt they would have to re-enact Winter Wrap-Up to clean what that dreaded Discord was responsible for. Finally, she watched Fancypants approach them, leaving behind Zecora who was doing her best to comfort the Sparkles.

"According to weather patrol," the high-society stallion explained, "we might be having this snow for quite a while."

Jet Set blinked as his wife's eyes widened in surprise. "What do you suggest we do?"

"Yes," Upper Crust nodded, "surely there must be some dark plan behind why Discord would summon this snow."

"I dare say I'm not sure," Fancypants sighed, adjusting his monocle, "but I do know is that this snow must be cleaned before we resume search."

"What?" Upper Crust gasped. She immediately looked over his shoulder and watched as Mr. Sparkle hold his heartbroken wife close to him; how she wished they could just gallop through the snow and resume the quest for their dear daughter. "Can't we just ignore the snow?" She asked desperately.

"My dear, it'll pile up if we don't do something soon," Fancypants said.

"But Twilight Sparkle!" She argued, her eyes becoming glassy with sadness and horror.

"Discord couldn't possibly be doing anything to her this instant," her husband assured her, "not when he's summoned snow for whatever purpose he has in mind."

Upper Crust turned from Jet Set to Fancypants. Finally, she let out a frustrated sigh.

"Fine," she muttered, "please, let's just hurry with this so we can resume finding our dear little Twilight." The images of that filly she saw in the home library quickly entered her mind once again.

"Of course, my dear," Fancypants nodded before he turned to a few other ponies and gave them the nod.

As the ponies dispersed to get the job started, Upper Crust turned in the direction of the Sparkles. Her skirts trailing behind her, she quickly galloped over to them.

Mrs. Sparkle sniffed and wiped her eyes before taking in the sight of Upper Crust before her. Her teary eyes narrowed a bit, not interested in speaking with the mare that looked down on some ponies. "What?" She asked hoarsely.

Upper Crust scuffled a hoof against the ground, seeing that Mrs. Sparkle was perhaps too upset over her daughter to carry on her courtesy. "Look, I know this is all so very difficult right now..."

"Oh, you think?" Mrs. Sparkle snapped.

The other unicorn winced at her remark. "But let me tell you, dearie..." She said in a soft, sincere voice. "I, Upper Crust, won't give up on finding your daughter."

She watched as Mrs. Sparkle's eyes widened, as if never expecting such words from her. "W-what?" She stuttered.

Upper Crust managed a small smile. "I remember her when she was a little filly before she shut herself away in dusty old books," she chuckled softly. "She isn't only loved by you, please remember that."

Before either Sparkles could say anything, she quickly turned on her hooves and trotted off, knowing she said all she needed.

She may not be a so-called Element of Harmony, but she knew what the magic of friendship was.
_

"Are you kidding me?"

Mayor Mare sighed before gazing over her platform at all the warm-wearing ponies before her. The speech she gave regarding the situation they were placed in was not a grand one, but she did her best to keep positive, despite that they hadn't been at all prepared for such an early winter clean-up.

"Citizens of Ponyville," she spoke calmly, "I know this is a heavy task for all of you-"

"Of course it is!" Remarked one pony. "We can't clean this up! Not without our All-Team Organizer!"

Having spoken of that, all heads fell in slight despair; Pinkie Pie doing her best not to cry. During the real Winter Wrap-Up, they would have failed once again if it wasn't for her.

Finally, Applejack held her head high before marching toward the platform and stood before all the depressed ponies.

"Listen here, everypony!" She shouted with authority in her voice. "I know that if it weren't for Twilight our Winter Wrap-Ups would have kept on with the tradition of messing things up!" Her eyes hardened. "And boy, we might mess up quite a bit on account of we don't have her..." They lowered sadly. Finally, she held a stiff upper lip before gazing at the town before her. "But we got to keep on, everypony!"

"Applejack's right!" Rainbow Dash shouted, her wings flapping. "Twilight would have wanted us to clean this up without her..." She lowered to the ground a bit, her head dropping.

"And indeed we will!" Rarity stepped forward. "Even though I can't stand to wear my boots so early this year, I'll do it for our dear Twilight!"

"Yeah!" Pinkie Pie bounced up and down. "I'll be sure to skate a picture of her face in the icy lakes!"

"And the animals..." Fluttershy stepped up shyly. "I'm sure they'll appreciate whatever we did in Twilight's way."

Before the five knew it, all the other ponies joined in, confidence reigning among them as the positivity of a good job was now in order. Mayor Mare smiled with relief.

"Then it's settled," she said finally, "everypony gather what you can and meet here in an hour. With or without an All-Team Organizer, I'm sure we'll pull through."

Spike watched as the group dispersed before he followed behind the remaining Elements of Harmony. He knew he wouldn't be able to hold back his tears when a clipboard would be placed in his hand...
_

Discord placed an eagle talon finger to his chin in wonder as Twilight led him into the snow-covered fields, completely surrounding them of the winter-filled nature he summoned. He grew even more curious about this Winter Wrap-Up thing, and hoped the intelligent unicorn would be able to explain it to him in less difficult terms. Finally, Twilight stopped in her tracks before turning to him, a small smile on her face as her eyes shone with pride.

"Well then," Discord said in a calm, interested voice as he began floating beside her. "I got the seeds you requested in stock, and my magic is ready when you are." And with snap of his fingers, a tiny tree emerged from the ground beside Twilight's hooves.

The unicorn gazed down at the magically-made creation before turning to the Draconequus with a look of disapproval.

"No magic," she said sternly, "we must do this Ponyville's way, meaning the Earth pony way."

"That sounds so boring," Discord sighed, rolling his eyes. "Can't we bend those rules?"

"I bended those rules a little bit," Twilight reminded him hotly, "and it only made things worse."

"Sometimes I think that Element of Honesty of yours doesn't appreciate magic," he huffed before folding his arms.

Twilight rolled her eyes before turning to gaze at their surroundings. "Well, let's get started, shall we?"

"So how exactly does this Winter Wrap-Up thing start?" He asked, checking his lion paw in a dull manner.

"Something like this..." She smiled softly, closing her eyes as her heart began to beat to a rhythm she could just feel.

Discord watched as the unicorn, her skirt trailing as she walked, stepped a few distances away from him, her eyes shut before holding her head high to feel the cool breeze of winter.

The beautiful snow has fallen, so unexpectedly

Discord raised a surprised eyebrow as he watched her sing. This was absolutely the first time he had ever heard her sing; he could only wonder why he never heard her sooner.

Dressed warm and snug in our winter clothes, the tasks won't be easy
Discord has made it snow, and has spread it all around

Shaking her hood off, she gave a flip of her mane as her eyes opened to gaze at the all the white before her.

And even though it's still summer, we can't let this job down

Before Discord knew it, Twilight broke into a trot as she went down the hill, leaving him to follow behind her as she continued singing. She could be so surprising sometimes; he liked that.

An unexpected time has come, the snow has fallen down
And the beauty of winter has been shown, the incredibly white of the ground

She stopped in her tracks before turning to see Discord magically appear beside her. She gave another smile before turning back toward the snow.

This is very special time of the year, and new to Discord, too
I must teach him these ways
To do what we ponies do, what would my friends think of this?

Her mind drifted a bit, recalling how much her friend backs in Ponyville must be struggling in this weather without her.

I'm not sure what they'll say
_

Back in Ponyville, the citizens kept themselves in order as they brought forth their plows, their ice skates, and even some seeds if they could still grow something during this weather. Twilight or no Twilight, they had a job to do, and the unicorn would be proud of all of them if she could just see them now.

Winter wrap-up, winter wrap-up
Let's make sure this snow gets cleared
Winter wrap-up, winter wrap-up

"Discord's somewhere around here," Rainbow Dash sang as she soared through the skies.

Winter wrap-up, winter wrap-up

"I'm shaking with fear!" One exclaimed, shivering not from the cold.

Winter wrap-up, winter wrap-up

"Please don't act like the end is near," his brothers sighed as he helped with a bag of seeds.
_

Discord was quite surprised and amused by the unicorn's behavior as she trotted with a beat in her step. Her dress flapped as she led him down fields of snow-covered grass, a bright smile on her face as she used her magic to carry bags of seeds she requested the Draconequus to conjure just for her.

"Winter wrap-up, winter wrap-up," she sang happily as she kept trotting along. "It's not spring but it's near."

Discord was quite taken by the song Twilight explained had been sung during her first ever Winter Wrap-Up back in Ponyville. Though she said she was singing an entirely different version of it, he liked it, nevertheless; she had quite a voice.

"Winter wrap-up, winter wrap-up," she sang as she stopped in her tracks, and motioning for him to do the same. Finally, she flashed her teeth and grinned at him, taking him completely by surprise. "You'll be with me when spring comes here!" She sang, her eyes sparkling.

As if one cue, birds flew out of their trees and glided around the two, chirping in harmony before flying off.

"Admiring the southern birds," she sang as she motioned a hoof to the sky where the birds were flying, "is where a pegasus' job begins."

Discord smiled smugly, folding his arms as he watched the birds fly in formation, keeping together as they continued flying off.

"As well as clearing all the clouds in the sky," Twilight sang as she motioned over to the white clouds covering the sun's rays. She eyed Discord, jamming her hoof toward the sky once more.

Realizing that verse in the song was actually a cue, the Draconequus hastily raised his mismatched hands up to clouds, and in one swift move, a light aura of magic surged out and strike the clouds, completely dispersing them.

Twilight smiled before resuming her song. "Allowing the sunshine in."

Discord watched as the sun's rays beamed upon the snow he created. It made a lovely scene as it shone upon the white flakes, making them glisten like diamonds.

"Moving the clouds to melt the snow," Twilight sang, holding so much pride for what Discord had done.

He turned to watch her resume her singing...right when a ray of sunshine shone upon her.

"When the sun comes up...," she sang softly, eyes closed. "Beauty will grow."

Her eyes slowly opened, gazing up at the bright sky, her eyes sparkling as the light shone upon her.

Discord smiled, though it could never be as bright as hers as she led him through the light-covered snow.

"The little animals sleep and rest," she sang as they came across a family of rabbits, enjoying the snow around their home. "Through snow and ice."

"And we gently wake them up," she cooed as she bent down and nuzzled against the tiniest rabbit, who nuzzled back. "So adorable and nice!"

Before Discord knew it, Twilight gently picked it up in her hooves and showed it to him. The rabbit's big eyes sparkled at him, and the Draconequus found himself holding it in his mismatched hands.

"We gather their food, help clean their homes below," Twilight sang softly as she used a hoof to push some snow away from their rabbit hole before placing a big carrot in front of the family.

Suddenly, the sound of birds was heard as both looked up and saw an array of birds land in the trees near them.

Twilight smiled. "Welcoming the lovely birds," she sang aloud, "so families can grow."

By now Discord as both amazed and astonished, having never taken a good look at nature before, as well as its inhabitants. Finally, Twilight brought him to a clear path where snow had missed its mark. A nice patch of dirt was visible to them, just perfect for their seeds.

"Earth ponies work hard at clearing the ground," Twilight sang as she stepped upon the dirt, "planting all the seeds."

The bag of seeds floated between her and Discord and she motioned for the Draconequus to bring down his lion paw. He did so and she dropped a few seeds. With a smile, she motioned for him to the little hole she dug with her hoof. Taking this silent order, he bent down and slowly dropped the seeds one by one into it.

"With proper rain and sunshine," she sang happily as he patted a small amount of dirt over it, "it'll give everyone something to feed." She gave him a friendly pat on the arm. "Apples, carrots, celery stalks, colorful flowers, too!" She smirked to herself. "Everypony works very hard, everypony knows what to do!"

With a small smirk on Discord's face, he playfully used his magic and before the unicorn knew it, vegetables, fruits, and various other plants grew beside the just placed seeds.

"Hey!" Twilight exclaimed, cutting off her singing tone. "That's cheating!"

"Oh, like you didn't do that during your little Winter Wrap-Up," he chuckled before reaching over and plucking an apple from a tree he grew.

Before Twilight had time to argue further, he grabbed a carrot and shoved it into her mouth. She nearly choked, but the sweetness of the carrot made up for it and she slowly chewed.

"It'll be very interesting if I do get to experience a real Winter Wrap-Up with you, my dear," he laughed, watching her eat.
_

Spike looked up from his clipboard, watching as Pinkie Pie and other ponies kept in formation as they skated along the icy lake.

"Okay, that's perfect!" Spike called out before looking back at his paper. "Skating round...check!"

His hand struggled a bit as he tried to put in a perfect check. Checks reminded him too much of perfect organization, and perfect organization reminded him of...

"Not going to cry...not going to cry..." He swallowed hard, the check he put down looking like a squiggly V.
_

Twilight smiled to herself, gathering the last of the produce as she floated them into her basket. Though they had not grown through the Earth pony way, simply having being conjured by the Spirit of Chaos himself, the unicorn was fine with it; most of it had been her breakfast.

Her mouth drooled as an she picked up an apple from her basket. She closed her eyes, sticking out her teeth, awaiting to savor its juicy goodness-

-and suddenly she was hit with something from behind, making her drop the apple and land face-first in the snow.

Raising her head up, her mane covered in snow, Twilight's face hardened before turning to see Discord a few feet away from her. In his lion paw was a snowball.

He could barely hold his laughter as he clutched his chest. "Oh, you should see the look on your face, Twilight Sparkle!"

The unicorn glowered at him for a few moments, rubbing the snow off her lovely mane. Then the evilest of smirks formed on her face as her eyes narrowed.

Discord kept laughing, holding his chest tight...before he was slammed in the face with a large amount of snow.

Twilight, her horn glowing, watched as Discord nearly fell over from the large snowball she made. After Discord gained back his posture, he stared at Twilight in total disbelief and amazement.

"You should see the look on your face," Twilight said playfully, another snowball floating beside her.

Discord, after a few moments of regaining himself from that unexpected surprise, gave a small, playful smile on his lips before bending down and grabbing another handful of snow.

"Oh, it's on, Sparkle," he said before throwing at her.

It became a playful, all-out snow war as they began pelting each other with snowballs. Twilight never was one for snowball fights, usually having to be dragged or be targeted in such a game. But considering how Discord was playing the game, she began to see differently. If only Pinkie Pie or Rainbow Dash could see her now...they would be sodoomed.

It quickly became a chase as Twilight rushed after Discord, a few snowballs floating beside her. Discord let out a chortle as he looked over his shoulder and watched her follow him in pursuit.

"I got you now!" Twilight shouted, standing her ground and preparing to fire.

"Actually, my dear," Discord chuckled, stopping in her tracks before floating a bit off the ground. "I've got you now."

And before Twilight could do anything, Discord thumped his elbow against a nearby tree, filled with snow. And a huge pile fell on her.

Discord let out a laugh as the unicorn's head popped out of the pile, glaring at him.

"Okay, okay!" Twilight sighed. "You win..."

"And it actually feels good to win for once," Discord said, a wonderful smile on his face as he watched her emerge from the pile, shaking the snow off her coat.

"Well, nice to know you enjoyed a somewhat Winter Wrap-Up," she chuckled. Then she eyed him nervously. "You did enjoy it, right?" Her eyes shone with a little concern.

"Why, my dear," he began, surprised by her worry, "you've shown me so much about this special event! And I can't wait for the real thing when winter truly does come and we get ready for spring!"

"So you liked what I taught you?" Her eyes sparkled.

"As well as what fun we had out of it," the gleam in his eyes matched her own as he smiled softly at her. "Thank you for showing me the joy that is Winter Wrap-Up."

Twilight smiled shyly, shuffling her hooves. "Well, wait until I teach you about Nightmare Night."

"I think I can understand that," he chuckled, "I mean, it's a night for pranks and candy, am I right?"

"And games," she laughed, "and costumes."

"Costumes sound alright," he rolled his eyes, "but games, oh, I love games!"

"What a coincidence," she said playfully, her eyes fluttering with mischief. "I just so happen to think of a game right now."

"Oh?" He asked curiously. "What game would that be?"

"Ice skating," Twilight said, motioning to the still frozen lake before them. "See who can cut the ice better to get the water."

Discord blinked in confusion before regarding her closely. "I thought you weren't good at ice skating."

Twilight rolled her eyes, flashing him a smirk. "Well, considering I'm going against you, I might have a chance."

"What's that suppose to mean?" He asked defensively.

"Have you not read that one entry in my journal about the sudsy grounds?" She giggled.

His eyes widened in realization, and his ears lowered before turning to her, who just laughed.

"Then it's settled," she said, flipping her mane as she removed her hood. "First rule of the game..." She flashed her eyes at him, filled with so much playfulness. "Well, the only rule of the game."

Before Discord knew it, she leaned toward him, her eyes gazing into his.

"No tricking..."

And she leaned closer until her coat was touching his and she ran her hoof along the side of his cheek.

"And no cheating," she said in a quiet, taunting tone, her words smooth as silk as her hoof slowly came down his cheek before ending right under his chin where his beard was. The look she gave him when her hoof laid under his chin was, like her element, simply...elusive.

Discord had to admit...that was totally unexpected as Twilight pulled away and proceeded toward the icy lake.

"Good luck!" Twilight sang in a teasing tone.

Finally regaining himself from that surprise, Discord ran a hand over his horns, the corners of his mouth slightly twitching.

"Same goes for you, my dear," he said quietly, a small, mischievous smile on his face as he followed behind her.
_

Perhaps she had been a little too confident back there.

As big a proud grin she had as she slipped into the ice skates Discord summoned for them, her expression immediately melted into one of horror as she lost control of herself among the ice. If this was a trail of sudsy grounds, it wouldn't be that difficult for her!

Discord smirked to himself, his feet gliding across the ice like a smug professional as he watched the unicorn struggle. Chuckling to himself, he skated over to her side as she tried to keep her balance.

"You sure I'm the one who needs the luck?" He asked playfully, watching as she nearly slipped on herself.

"I can do this!" She replied hotly, her cheeks red as her coat as her hooves wobbled.

She managed to slide a little farther from him before she found her balance breaking and trip. However, Discord caught her in the brink of time, his lion paw secure around her waist before she could hit the ice. Twilight averted her eyes away from his as she frowned to herself, too frustrated over the fact that she failed iceskating worse than her first time during Winter Wrap-Up back in Ponyville. Now she knows how Rainbow Dash feels...

The Draconequus just smiled before reaching over with the tip of his eagle talon and placed it under her chin, directing her head to finally look at him.

"Truce?" He asked, holding his eagle claw out to shake.

Still frowning, Twilight pouted but still placed her hoof in his talons. "Truce," she muttered.
_

After some time in the snow and watching the not-so-hard work unfold before them, the two made it back to the warm home of chaos. When they got there, Discord had summoned a fancy living room, complete with a warm, blazing fire for them to sit close to.

Twilight smiled kindly at Discord as he helped remove her cloak before placing it on a stand he summoned as well. The unicorn, just in her pale pink dress, used her magic to summon a book from a shelf across the room and floated it toward her as she and the Draconequus laid on the carpet while enjoying the fire.

"Want a drink?" Discord asked, stretching before lying on his back, mismatched arms folded under his head while Twilight laid under her hooves with the book placed in front of her.

"Hot chocolate if that's not too much," she said, opening the book.

With a snap of his fingers, she got her hot cocoa while he got himself a cup of tea. As Discord sipped while lying on the floor, he shifted his eyes and watched as Twilight read as the glow of the fire engulfed her figure.

"Which book did you get?" He asked nonchalantly.

"One about winter stories, what else?" She snorted playfully, turning the page.

"Sorry, I don't notice some of the things I create," he scoffed.

"Still," she said, her eyes shifting toward his lying figure. "You do have good taste in literature."

"Don't push it," he remarked with a sly grin, "some of the books I've seen recently are boring beyond compare."

"They can't all be filled with humorous disaster," she mocked, eyes turning back to her book. "Of course, chaos doesn't entirely mean disaster."

Silence filled the room as the crackle of the fire blazed before the two. Discord's eyes remained glue to the ceiling while Twilight's remained on her book.

This sure was nice...

He never fully enjoyed being in front of a fire before. But now that he finally found the experience of sharing it with someone, he never wanted the enjoyment to drop down to the level he had been stuck with for so long before having been turned into stone the first time.

Good to know this fire pleased Twilight.

He blinked a few times, thinking it over in his head for a quite a bit. Finally, he shifted himself, raising his head.

"Twilight," he began, his eyes lowering in a serene expression, "I meant to tell you this before, but I just wanted to say-" He turned to look at her.

Her head was pressed face-down on her open book; she was asleep.

Discord raised an eyebrow, however, smiling smugly as he watched the drool trail down her lips onto the page. Without a second glance, he folded his arms behind his head and resumed his place on the floor, simply hearing both the crackle of the fire and the slight snoring of the slumbering unicorn.
_